SpaceX to launch Thai satellite

ace

SpaceX will launch a 3100kg communications satellite for Thai satellite operator Thaicom to GTO, providing increased services for Southeast Asia.

Scheduled 1day 5 hours from this post, 26th May Thai time, viewable live on youtube

Who knew? Well done Thaicom.

What goes up must come down.can you ever imagine the Thais having the capabilities of building and launching anything into space.they don't even know where space is.anyway the nearest they've got to space Is bung fai(rocket festivals) and that's a load of Thai voodoo to get some rain.

SpaceX is the launch vehicle with the satellite on top of a SpaceX Atlas 9 rocket.

The satellite is a consortium from Thailand, India and Africa.

Of course Thailand could never launch anything, what were you thinking?

Anyways, since I live about 15 miles away, we will go see the launch live.

I was the Thaicom satellite control manager from 1992 to 1998. They don't build and launch satellites but they do have several qualified technical personnel. So, I wouldn't shout too loud.

Edited by johnh869

SpaceX is the launch vehicle with the satellite on top of a SpaceX Atlas 9 rocket.

The satellite is a consortium from Thailand, India and Africa.

Of course Thailand could never launch anything, what were you thinking?

Anyways, since I live about 15 miles away, we will go see the launch live.

The satellite was built by

Orbital ATK in Dulles Virginia USA and launched by Space X another US company

http://www.orbitalatk.com/space-systems/commercial-satellites/communications-satellites/docs/FS014_13_OA_3862%20Thaicom%208.pdf#search=%22thaicom%208%22

Edited by johng

Fascinating videos, thanks.

The rocket propulsion techniques don't seem to have made much significant breakthrough since the Apollo days but all the rest has, especially telemetry and computer-based guidance... the real-time digital video feeds make for quite a show.

I'm really baffled to watch the 1st stage rocket land right in the middle of the circle on the platform. Wondering how much computing power and fine-tuned lines of code that requires clap2.gif

Thaicom used to be part of the Shin Group in the past wasn't it? Still is?

Edited by Lannig

Thaicom used to be part of the Shin Group in the past wasn't it? Still is?

Seems they renamed to "Intouch".

Best read the WiKi about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Corporation

Thaksin's sale of his remaining stake to a Singapore company in 2006 with avoiding almost all tax payments was the beginning of his final countdown tongue.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

• 1 year later...
On 5/27/2016 at 8:07 PM, johnh869 said:

I was the Thaicom satellite control manager from 1992 to 1998. They don't build and launch satellites but they do have several qualified technical personnel. So, I wouldn't shout too loud.

"A little bit of knowledge is dangerous!"

A mate of mine put together all the legal gubbins for the initial sale that never went through. When they made the second attempt they used a lightly modified version which meant they got away without paying commission. Got to love doing business in Asia...

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

A mate of mine put together all the legal gubbins for the initial sale that never went through. When they made the second attempt they used a lightly modified version which meant they got away without paying commission. Got to love doing business in Asia...

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Roger That! 555555!