Going to Chiang Khong from Chiang Rai, any tips?

yzak

I am going to Chiang Khong to do a same day border run to extend my 90 day visa exemption. I heard that I can take the red bus from the chiang rai bus station and head to chiang khong. Has anyone done this trip before? Which is the best way to get there and back? How long will it take me? Are there any fees other than transportation/food that I should consider?

Thank you!

You cannot extend a 90 day visa exempt entry at the border or anywhere else.

Are you seeking a NEW visa exempt entry ?

Depending on your nationality you must remember the cost of the Laos visa.

sorry! poor choice of words. I am getting a new one by going to laos then coming back into thailand. This will be my first time doing a border run for this purpose and so I would appreciate advice on best way to get there and estimated time it will take. I will be in Chiang rai with a friend. I am a Korean citizen so the entry into laso and re-entry into thailand is free I believe.

Lao crossing will cost you about 1300, if you cross to Tachilek it's 500 and a lot closer.

Lao Visa on Arrival Fee

Below is a list of visa fee for different countries. If your country is not on the list, it probably costs you $US30 to get the visa or you're not eligible for getting Laos visa on arrival. Click here to check if you are in the "NOT eligible" list.

Country Price (US Dollar) Australia 30 Canada 42 China 20 India 40 Sweden 31 USA 35 UK 35 Others 30

Lao crossing will cost you about 1300, if you cross to Tachilek it's 500 and a lot closer.

Lao Visa on Arrival Fee

Below is a list of visa fee for different countries. If your country is not on the list, it probably costs you $US30 to get the visa or you're not eligible for getting Laos visa on arrival. Click here to check if you are in the "NOT eligible" list.

Country Price (US Dollar) Australia 30 Canada 42 China 20 India 40 Sweden 31 USA 35 UK 35 Others 30

Thanks but since i am a korean citizen, it's actually free to enter laos and thailand. I get visa exemptions in both. only thing good about being Korean :P

Tachilek? Can I get a 90 day visa exemption by entering at Tachilek border? I heard that I cannot and it's better to go to Chiang Khong.

I can't see why not, leaving the country is leaving the country.

You could always stop at the MaeSai office a few hundred yards south of the border and ask.

I'm not really sure what visa you have, a visa exemption to me is what tourists get for 30 days at airports and 15 days at land crossings.

Don't know about the visa stuff, but used to take that red bus frequently. Fun ride, about 90 minutes, about B80. All buses now stop by the road to the bridge where a line of tuk tuks are waiting to take you to the bridge.

I'd like to cross the bridge and take a look around on the other side.

Four immigration stamps and a full page Lao visa takes up a lot of passport space though.

Mind you.... I did get the double size when I renewed last year. smile.png