Im impressed with NETFLIX thailand. Glad to have cut the cord

davidst01

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Netflix is OK but I prefer iflix and Amazon.  Netflix just slowed down big time where film is concerned and I think they need a better search function to find hidden gems. The editors picks does not get updated much either. Iflix for 1000thb a year is a much better option in Thailand I think.

14 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

Why not just use pirate bay? No monthly charge.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

You don't even need to do that anymore as long as you have internet connected  these days .. also the site i use offer all types of formats for the video quality but anyway  just watching Taboo and i must say it's really good  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b088s45m

Maybe of interest...

It seems Youtube are now offering a streaming service, 40 channels for $35 a month.

Only available in select US markets, but who knows?

Video site has programming deals with NBCU, Disney-ABC, Fox Networks and CBS

Google has a new pitch for younger consumers disenchanted with cable and satellite TV: YouTube TV, a new “skinny” bundle of about 40 TV channels including ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and ESPN, priced at $35 per month.

The move, which has been expected, makes Google and YouTube the latest players to take the over-the-top field, as providers see a big opportunity to sell cheaper, multiscreen internet-delivered TV as alternatives to traditional pay-TV services.

The TV programming will be accessible both live and on-demand — and with no DVR recording restrictions. The subscription includes six accounts for $35 per month, with each profile getting its own recommendations and other personalized settings. However, subscribers are allowed to watch only up to three concurrent streams at once.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/youtube-tv-bundle-pricing-1201998917/

Jeez.  $35 pm for 40 channels!!  Wonder how many of those will be crap.  Maybe it'll work out at $7 per channel once you take the junk out.  Maybe they'll go international with it - $10 for 5 channels.

3 hours ago, Chicog said:

Maybe of interest...

It seems Youtube are now offering a streaming service, 40 channels for $35 a month.

Only available in select US markets, but who knows?

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/youtube-tv-bundle-pricing-1201998917/

From what I'm seeing, Google has announced the service now, but they haven't actually launched it as yet and won't be for some time.

On the home page, it still says (at least as of tonight) "coming soon" and asks people to leave your email address and zip code for further contact.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

As the Variety article noted:

YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki said the service will initially launch in the next few months in major U.S. markets and will expand later to other cities. YouTube declined to provide specific launch dates; it currently has no plans to introduce the TV service internationally.

Google's probably trying to get their oar in the water, at least with an announcement, ahead of rival Hulu, which is expected to be actually launching a similar service any day now. Hulu's already been running a limited beta over their actual working service the past couple months.

Google has been planning their live cable TV streaming service for some time, trying to catch up with existing U.S. OTT (over the top) players such as Sling TV, DirecTV Now, and even Sony Playstation Vue. Beyond those, there are a few more in the wings or rumored.

Each one has its own good and bad features or failings. One of the biggest right now that certainly applies to both Sling TV and DirectTV Now is that they advertise offering live streaming of various of the major over-the-air networks (ABC, NBC and Fox mostly), but in reality it's only in a few select larger cities where the networks own the local stations.  But in most of the rest of the U.S., you'll only get on-demand for the major over the air networks right now, because the networks don't own or control those many other network affiliate stations.

All of these services, as you might expect, require a U.S. IP address in order to sign up and use the service. And each of the services offer various packages and pricings for different sets of cable TV networks. But where the real variations come into play is with the major over-the-air networks and whether you'll get or not get their live streams.

--With Sling TV, you get the channel package based on where their system reads your IP as being, and that can change over time without any problem, as far as I can tell. So for example, some of the locations where Sling provides live streams of the major networks include places such as L.A., N.Y., S.F., Dallas and a few more.

--With DirectTV Now, you generally get the channel package for the location that is your billing address for the account, and if you're away from that area, they seem to default to a standard cable TV package without the major network live streams. Likewise, their over-the-air live stream locations are mostly limited to a few big city markets.

--With Playstation Vue, when you sign up, their system registers your IP location and later, if you try to log in from some different location, it causes problems, and they allow I think only 1 IP locations change. But they will allow you to access the service from other areas within the U.S. using their mobile apps instead.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Netflix Thailand is adequate; however, the Asian Netflix library is 1/3 of the U.S. library. If your old school, Netflix would meet your movie appetite.

The price is reasonable but, after several years of subscribing to Netflix Thailand, your appetite for Netflix will weaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

7 minutes ago, Motown239 said:

Netflix Thailand is adequate; however, the Asian Netflix library is 1/3 of the U.S. library. If your old school, Netflix would meet your movie appetite.

The price is reasonable but, after several years of subscribing to Netflix Thailand, your appetite for Netflix will weaken.

There have been a number of news reports in recent months reporting how Netflix U.S.'s overall library of movie has been declining, while they're putting more and more money into developing their own series and/or buying content direct as Netflix-only exclusives. Thus, they appear to be trying to distinguish themselves on their basis of "original" content.

But when the favorite general movies and TV series from other sources that you're used to watching via Netflix begin disappearing over time, I think some folks find themselves deciding to take advantage of Netflix's join or drop when you want policy, and subscribing for a month or two to catch up on the Netflix series they're interested in, and then letting it drop again till a later time.

Cutting the cord from TrueVisions was the best thing Ive ever done. The monthly fee on Netflix is really low and theres a lot of excellent content to watch. The new merger with Disney et al will come into fruition soon and thus there will be even more movies.
If you haven't tried Netflix before I highly recommend it. There a lot of excellent stuff to watch on Netflix.
Happy hunting

How do you watch Netflix? Is there any other way to pay rather than credit card?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

17 hours ago, wordsofwisdom said:

How do you watch Netflix? Is there any other way to pay rather than credit card?

For Netflix U.S., you can pay with a debit or credit card -- VISA, MC, Discover or AMEX, and also have the option of Paypal.

At least with the regular bank cards, I'm pretty certain they're going to require a U.S. billing address. Not sure if that also would be the case with Paypal, but I'm guessing it would.

If you have an iPhone / iPad you can also download the Netflix app and pay your monthly subscription via whatever country you have your iTunes account in too.  I prefer this way as it's so easy to switch it on and off.  Your account will of course roam to wherever you are in terms of serving up content but if you have a VPN that still works with Netflix you should be able to get VPN server location based service from Netflix.  

I tried Amazon Prime but binned it.  Largely because of their stupid spat between Google and Apple so they're trying to funnel everyone into buying Fire TVs which won't work outside Amazon account countries without VPNs etc.  So they have an international service, just no streaming devices to watch it on (although with some work arounds I THINK folks are getting Prime on the Nvidia Shield to work in non-Amazon countries).  And if I'm paying for a service I prefer to watch it on a device I want to watch it on, not be forced into buying theirs (which STILL doesn't work).  I'll stick with Netflix and Iflix until Amazon get their act together with their botched up roll-out of international services.

Edited by SooKee

On 3/10/2017 at 0:51 PM, manchega said:

amazon is incredible, they will set you up with a prime account, then let you know that you can't use it unless you are in us

That's just silly and wrong.

You can use Amazon Prime here just fine, provided you do a couple obvious things:

--Keep a U.S. address registered for your Amazon account, and U.S. bank cards for your payment methods.

--To have full access to their video library, use a VPN or DNS re-direct service here to gain a U.S. IP address.

Amazon Prime provides a lot of different benefits: free 2nd day domestic U.S. shipping on Amazon purchases, access to Amazon Prime music streaming, access to Amazon Prime video streaming, and more. As long as you keep a U.S. presence and identity in addition to whatever else you're doing, it's very easy.

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's just silly and wrong.

You can use Amazon Prime here just fine, provided you do a couple obvious things:

--Keep a U.S. address registered for your Amazon account, and U.S. bank cards for your payment methods.

--To have full access to their video library, use a VPN or DNS re-direct service here to gain a U.S. IP address.

Amazon Prime provides a lot of different benefits: free 2nd day domestic U.S. shipping on Amazon purchases, access to Amazon Prime music streaming, access to Amazon Prime video streaming, and more. As long as you keep a U.S. presence and identity in addition to whatever else you're doing, it's very easy.

And if you don't have a US address or bank card they still let you sign up and tell you nope sorry you are not in the US.

Just as a heads up for folks wanting to watch Prime Video (their international service) outside of Amazon account countries , there is a specific Prime Video (PV) site that you sign up at, not the general Amazon Prime site.  For the PV site you can use cards which are non-US and don't need a US address.  Currently it's $2.99 pm for 6 months then, IIRC, $5.99.  I'm guessing if you want to go the VPN route (I don't) it would allow you to access the content provided in the country for which your VPN fakes it's access location.  The Prime Video site is here:

https://www.primevideo.com

This is the (not easy to find) page where Amazon lists the devices that work with Prime Video:  https://www.primevideo.com/help/ref=dv_web_help_nd_nav?_encoding=UTF8&nodeId=202064920 

You can watch PV in LOS via their phone apps (iOS and Android) or via a browser.  I have recently bought a Minix Neo U9 Android box and can confirm that the Play Store Amazon Video app also works on that, serving up just the Prime content.  It DOES NOT however work on the Fire TV / Stick as Amazon have for some unknown reason (and stupidly IMO) not updated the firmware (and it's not clear whether they intend to) for those devices to work outside of Amazon account countries.  I'm told folks outside of Amazon account countries have also got it working on the Nvidia Shield though in some countries but in some cases have to switch off location services and change the device language to English.

As SooKee has correctly pointed out above, there are different "Primes" available thru Amazon.

There is the broad Amazon Prime membership subscription, originally aimed at the U.S. market, that includes the free domestic 2nd day shipping and various other audio and video streaming benefits. That's where you are better off maintaining a U.S. presence. Although, I believe Amazon also makes available Prime subscriptions in selected other counties including the UK, Germany, Austria, Japan, Belgium, Canada, France, India, Italy, and Spain

Then there is the standalone Amazon Prime Video service, which Amazon recently began offering as an available standalone service in the U.S., and then even more recently began offering in many countries around the world, including Thailand. For that, you don't have to maintain a U.S. presence at all -- but, the library of streaming video content is going to be considerably smaller compared to its U.S. counterpart library.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Video

On 14 December 2016, Amazon Video launched worldwide (except for Mainland China, Iran, North Korea, Syria, Crimea) expanding its reach beyond US, UK, Germany, Austria and Japan. Among the new territories, the service was included with Prime in Belgium, Canada, France, India, Italy and Spain, while for all other countries it was made available for a monthly promotional price of $/€2.99 per month for the first six months and $/€5.99 per month thereafter.

http://variety.com/2016/digital/global/amazon-prime-video-now-available-in-more-than-200-countries-1201941818/

In the U.S., Amazon Prime Video offered about 18,000 titles and Netflix 4,500 in March 2016, according to the Video Advertising Bureau. But internationally, for subscription VOD at least, Amazon doesn’t have the rights to the vast majority of those movies.

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

And if you don't have a US address or bank card they still let you sign up and tell you nope sorry you are not in the US.

I guess it kind of pays to actually pay attention to what specific services Amazon does and doesn't offer in any particular country, and then decide accordingly how you want to present yourself.

Now that chromecast is available through AIS I am able to stream iflix from my devices to my TV. I remember at the start of Netflix in Thailand they were about 700 content items. I checked unogs and it has increased to 1900+. 4k is very good (15mbs on 3bb).

iFlix has gone from strength to strength IMO and, aside from the lack HD issue, which they are also starting to address, is one of the best services here.  Good value and great with the Thai subtitles too.  Only drawback for me was watching on a mobile device or laptop and having to sling it to the TV via Airplay, thus needing two devices running to watch it.  I tried loading the app onto a Fire TV and also the AIS box but just couldn't get it to work, it's a mobile friendly, not STB friendly app.

Having said that I've loaded onto the Minix U9-H I just bought and with the Minix A3 remote it runs like a dream.  Maybe it'd work better on the Fire TV with the Minix remote too but I can't be bothered to get it out again, especially as Amazon's own international Prime Video won't even run on it!!!  The iFlix experience on the U9 is superb, also runs the Amazon Video app and serves up the Prime Video content, along with Netflix (sadly not HD but I hardly use it these days so I'm prepared to take the hit - at least until I decide whether I want to go the Shield route) and YouTube HD.

58 minutes ago, sniffdog said:

Now that chromecast is available through AIS I am able to stream iflix from my devices to my TV. I remember at the start of Netflix in Thailand they were about 700 content items. I checked unogs and it has increased to 1900+. 4k is very good (15mbs on 3bb).

Which version of the Chromecast dongle is AIS going to be handing out to its customers?

2017-03-14 11_09.jpg

From L. to R., the original Chromecast, the 2nd gen Chromecast, or the new Chromecast Ultra, the latter the only one supporting 4K and HDR, but selling for about double the price ($69 U.S.) of the original ones ($35 U.S.) at retail.

Another difference, the original Chromecast runs only on 2.4 GHz N wifi, whereas the latter two models both support dual band AC wifi.

13 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Yah, that photo on the AIS website is of the 2nd gen model, which means no 4K or HDR support. So no Netflix 4K via that dongle.

Interesting that AIS is retailing it "on sale" for $42+ U.S., when the original retail list in the U.S. was just $35. And Google is still selling the same 2nd gen model from their own store at $35, though it often seems to be included in various other Google promotions for less or even free.