Another example of discriminatory practice against farangs

R123

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Way ahead of you R123...left Thailand a couple of years back...best decision I could have made...life is good again...

And yet you post here with alarming regularity

Someone needs to post to balance the "Thailand is the most wonderful place in the world club"...You have a problem with that, Agent Orange?

I once tried to turn my car around on the drive of an Army base in Sattahip. I was still outside.I didnt need to enter the base as the drive outside was wide enough to spin around in.The girl i was with explained that all we wanted to do was turn.All of a sudden there was 6 soldiers outside with rifles.The one who was in charge said that no foreigner was allowed anywhere near a military base.probably worried in case i saw how weak they were.

...and then post derisively on TV.

What you mean you didn't get the 5 star welcome with red carpet rolled out for you? Well there you have it Thailand now officially anti foreigner. You should write a letter to the prime minister- in Thai of course to show you are at least as good as any Thai - demanding the Thai military show respect to farangs by providing complete and immediate access to.all of their warships and military facilities. Along with an apology otherwise big spenders such as yourself will leave Thailand and they the Thais will not be able to benefit from your presence in the country. It would be such a loss to Thailand if you left.

Edited by Time Traveller

i managed to hitch a ride on a thai military aircraft from udon to bkk a few years back....which was interesting. it would have been handy if someone showed me how to get out of the base after we landed. i ended up strolling across the runway to a gate where i could see the tops of busses going by and the guard flagged down a taxi for me.

but as for sattahip, 99% of the beaches down there are NO FARANG so i wouldnt have wasted my time going to visit a ship.

My view is that the Op's behavior is not very sophisticated to say the least. You don't inform yourself about a venue you want to visit, drive an hour only to find out that you cannot visit it and then you go online and complain about it and tell everyone what you have done. Recommend you become a bit smarter here, accept the way things are here, enjoy what you can enjoy and really become bit more 'street smart'.

Xenophobic and ignorant.

Not less, not more.

All foreigners potential spys/saboteurs.

All Thai people good heart.

Guess what would happen when there is such a public show in your country and foreigners rejected.

A military ship to visit in Germany, no Brits, no Yanks, no Aussies allowed for security reasons.

An international outcry would be the result.

The nationalities you mention are allies - some nato allies. But even some Australian support and maintenance staff cannot work on parts of British Aircraft. Such as the Sword of Damoclese Infra red guidance system. It is not surprising to me that non nationals have a different status regarding visiting military equipment. If the OP is that keen just consider this failed visit as research and do it properly next time. The main victims of predudice here in Thailand are the people of Issan and other dark skinned groups - not over entitled foreign tourists. Edited by The manic

I must be doing something totally wrong in Thailand.

I'm Dutch national and visited the HMS Pattani. I came along with some German and Dutch friends and we walked every where.

Inside, outside, the bridge, took pictures and all we got from crew members was a nice smile.

Yes, I can show you what we did. Take a look:

Way ahead of you R123...left Thailand a couple of years back...best decision I could have made...life is good again...

And yet you post here with alarming regularity

Someone needs to post to balance the "Thailand is the most wonderful place in the world club"...You have a problem with that, Agent Orange?

I have a problem with Thai bashers who don't live here. Whatever problems you experienced here were probably due to the emotional baggage you brought with you. I sense an anger management problem.

Yesterday 5th June I was invited by a thai friend to visit HTMS Chakri Naruebet. An aircraft carrier vessel which is moored at the dock within The Thai navy museum in Sattahip. A drive of about 1 hour or so from Pattaya.

The vessel so i believed was open to all the public.

Necessary to provide proof of ID before getting onto the vessel. So as a foreigner i brought along my passport.

On arriving at the museum we went to where the vessel was docked. An official was at the boarding point screening people and I could see that there many people, including Thai families already on the vessel.

However when the official saw me it was made clear to my Thai friend that as I was non Thai I was not allowed onto the vessel as it was still in active service and we were turned away.

What a waste of my time!

This is just another example of the continuing and growing discrimination against foreigners in Thailand; be it for new unfair immigration requirements, land ownership, price discrimination and so on, etc etc.

There will surely come a time if not here already that most of us who contribute a lot financially to the Thai economy and to the well being of the people here will say enough is enough and look elsewhere to live.

Am I correct or not?

Pathetic. All round the world there are issues around military bases, docks and telecommunications. You need to wise up more and whinge less.

No offense but who cares, really. This topic has been beat to death. I spent time in transit at U-Tapao, Ubon and Korat on the way to Vietnam. The USA provided the infrastructure at the bases as well as building most of Sukhumvit Road to transport troops and equipment and many other projects.

The ship in question was built in Spain and the Harriers that were on deck at one time were from the UK. It's turning into a rust bucket. No problem.

Thailand. Love it or leave it... WPFflags.gif

USA didn't do a lot for Vietnam infrastructure.

The rules are no secret; foreigners are not allowed on Thai military facilities.

Welcome to Thailand.

I did not know about this rule.

However, if I went on that ship and was refused entry I wouldn't come to Thai visa and make a complete fool of myself.

Where would you go to make a complete fool of yourself?

The simplest of Google searches would have given you all the information you needed to visit the ship.

"HTMS Chakri Naruebet (เรือรบหลวงจักรีนฤเบศร) is an offshore Patrol Helicopter Carrier anchored at the Chuk Samet Deep Seaport. The king named the ship “Chakri Naruebet” meaning "Sovereign of the Chakri Dynasty". It was constructed in Spain in 1994. It is an 11-storey ship measuring 182 m in length and 30.5 m in width. It is equipped with modern weapons, as well as long-range surveillance radar. The important missions during wartime are the flagship of the fleet, controlling and commanding the fleet in the sea, as well as the aircraft carrier and air defence mission. It is open daily from 08:00-16:00. It is closed only on Wednesdays from 08:00-12:00. Admission free. International visitors seeking admission must write a letter to the Commander of the Royal Thai Fleet, Sattahip, Chonburi, 20180. For more information, Tel. +66 38 438 547-62 ext. HTMS Chakri Naruebet."

I think it really is a case of inadequate prior planning and preparation.

So, I guess EVERYWHERE you've been, anywhere, not only Thailand, you "Google" to see if you are allowed... BS

Oh, by the way, this from the OFFICIAL Thai Naval Museum site.

http://www.navy.mi.th/navalmuseum/001_homepage/main_eng.htm

Edited by MediaWatcher

Very common for active service naval vessels to restrict tours to their own nationals.

Can you back that up, I took my wife, Thai, to an open day, at an Australian naval base, HMAS Stirling, no questions asked, though she did get a few "smiles."

Edited by MediaWatcher

Actually their double pricing is against their own constitution which states that all people, regardless of race, are treated equally. Be a brave farang that tried to sue though! Count me out as I live here!

A Thai lawyer told me this btw.

you right!

several years ago, a thai friend, student in law was so surprise to learn that double pricing was illegal in thailand.

The rules are no secret; foreigners are not allowed on Thai military facilities.

Welcome to Thailand.

Yet recently we see an American senator, and military officer, visit Thai military establishments, and let's not forget the mititary "games",seems your comment is a little, mm... BS

Edited by MediaWatcher

The simplest of Google searches would have given you all the information you needed to visit the ship.

"HTMS Chakri Naruebet (เรือรบหลวงจักรีนฤเบศร) is an offshore Patrol Helicopter Carrier anchored at the Chuk Samet Deep Seaport. The king named the ship Chakri Naruebet meaning "Sovereign of the Chakri Dynasty". It was constructed in Spain in 1994. It is an 11-storey ship measuring 182 m in length and 30.5 m in width. It is equipped with modern weapons, as well as long-range surveillance radar. The important missions during wartime are the flagship of the fleet, controlling and commanding the fleet in the sea, as well as the aircraft carrier and air defence mission. It is open daily from 08:00-16:00. It is closed only on Wednesdays from 08:00-12:00. Admission free. International visitors seeking admission must write a letter to the Commander of the Royal Thai Fleet, Sattahip, Chonburi, 20180. For more information, Tel. +66 38 438 547-62 ext. HTMS Chakri Naruebet."

So, I guess EVERYWHERE you've been, anywhere, not only Thailand, you "Google" to see if you are allowed... BS

Most people Google stuff they're interested in, yes. Welcome to 2016.

Actually their double pricing is against their own constitution which states that all people, regardless of race, are treated equally. Be a brave farang that tried to sue though! Count me out as I live here!

you right!

several years ago, a thai friend, student in law was so surprise to learn that double pricing was illegal in thailand.

The funny thing is, how could you expect the people not to, when their government does it?

"HTMS Chakri Naruebet (เรือรบหลวงจักรีนฤเบศร) is an offshore Patrol Helicopter Carrier anchored at the Chuk Samet Deep Seaport. The king named the ship Chakri Naruebet meaning "Sovereign of the Chakri Dynasty". It was constructed in Spain in 1994. It is an 11-storey ship measuring 182 m in length and 30.5 m in width. It is equipped with modern weapons, as well as long-range surveillance radar. The important missions during wartime are the flagship of the fleet, controlling and commanding the fleet in the sea, as well as the aircraft carrier and air defence mission. It is open daily from 08:00-16:00. It is closed only on Wednesdays from 08:00-12:00. Admission free. International visitors seeking admission must write a letter to the Commander of the Royal Thai Fleet, Sattahip, Chonburi, 20180. For more information, Tel. +66 38 438 547-62 ext. HTMS Chakri Naruebet."

How the hell would he know that he would have to write a poxy letter to the commander of the Royal Thai Fleet to gain admission?

By using Google, as the post you quote suggests.

Mmmm, just how many sites does one need to "Google" you guys are just tossers, this is the OFFICIAL site, and I guess is where most would look, though some here seem to go out of their way to criticize others. GROW UP kiddies.

you right!

The funny thing is, how could you expect the people not to, when their government does it?

We need some brave farang to call the cops next time he goes into a National Park. Any volunteers? And before you ask, Geronimo is all out of bravery!!!

Ok, just how many "Googled" Phuket zoo, before going, to see if they would be allowed in, your comment is, to say the least, ridiculous, I would bet, even you, don't "Google" everything, and everywhere, and just in case you've gone off track, this is about the naval museum and I think you should look at its site, like most intelligent people would, please note, NO reference to foreigners. Stick that where the sun don't shine, sunshine.

On an unrelated note Myself and the spousal unit went to a national park close to Khao Lak....guess I was handsome today as they let me in under the Thai price.

Now back to topic there is no rule or regulation that says a civilian cannot get access to a Thai military installation. I for 11 years working for the US military as a civilian contractor got regular access every year during COPE TIGER and COBRA GOLD exercises. If you have business there you get access. Military installations in Thailand or any other part of the world are not tourist areas and as such do not warrant civilian access anytime a Tom, Dick or Jane wants. 555

Ok, just how many "Googled" Phuket zoo, before going, to see if they would be allowed in, your comment is, to say the least, ridiculous, I would bet, even you, don't "Google" everything, and everywhere, and just in case you've gone off track, this is about the naval museum and I think you should look at its site, like most intelligent people would, please note, NO reference to foreigners. Stick that where the sun don't shine, sunshine.

Common sense would come in handy here. Anybody expecting to be able to inspect a naval ship of his non native country should use his brains better.

Common sense would come in handy here. Anybody expecting to be able to inspect a naval ship of his non native country should use his brains better.

Agree. This is so obvious...except to the truly ignorant. No foreigner would be able to waltz onto a US military base, let alone allowed on an American warship. Does the OP really need to have this explained to him?