Suspected tiger meat slaughterhouse found near Tiger Temple

webfact

Suspected tiger meat slaughterhouse found near Tiger Temple
By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

tg.jpg
An officer and a tiger found Thursday afternoon at a house in Kanchanaburi city.

KANCHANABURI — A widening investigation into the Tiger Temple’s role in animal trafficking led officers today to their most alarming discovery yet – a home they believe was used as a tiger slaughterhouse.

Four tigers were found locked in cages Thursday at a home located not far from the now shuttered tourist attraction in a residence officials think was used to keep and kill tigers before their meat, skins and parts were sold.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/2016/06/07/suspected-tiger-meat-slaughterhouse-found-near-tiger-temple/

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-06-08

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thai police find tiger slaughterhouse in temple probe
TASSANEE VEJPONGSA, Associated Press

BANGKOK (AP) — Police investigating Thailand's now infamous Tiger Temple found what they believe was a slaughterhouse and tiger holding facility used in a suspected animal trafficking network.

The discovery Tuesday is the latest in a growing scandal surrounding the Buddhist temple, which was a popular tourist attraction that charged admission for visitors to take photos with the tigers and walk them on leashes. Last week, authorities removed more than 137 tigers from the temple grounds and also found 40 dead tiger cubs in a freezer and 20 more preserved in jars.

Acting on a tip, police raided a home Tuesday about 50 kilometers (30 miles) from the temple in Kanchanaburi province in western Thailand and found four live tigers and a dozen empty cages, said police Col. Montri Pancharoen, deputy commander of the Crime Suppression Division, which oversaw the raid.

Investigators believe the house, in an isolated area and surrounded by tall fences, served as "a holding facility and slaughterhouse," he said.

"We believe it was used by the Tiger Temple to hold live tigers before slaughtering them for their skins, meat and bones to be exported outside the country, or sent to restaurants in Thailand that serve tiger meat to tour groups," he said.

The house had a work area with a large chopping board and a variety of knives which authorities believe served as the slaughter area, he said.

Police detained two caretakers at the facility who claimed the tigers were the private property of the home's owner, said Montri. Police were searching for the owner who was not there during the raid.

"The Tiger Temple is just a starting point, or a supplier," he said. "We have information that the Tiger Temple is not the only place that supplies tigers to illegal smugglers."

Animal rights activists have long accused the temple of mistreating its tigers. The government suspects the monks have been involved in illegal breeding and trafficking of the animals.

The monks resisted previous efforts to take away the tigers, but relented last week after police obtained a court order.

The seizure of tigers started on May 30. Two days later authorities discovered the 40 dead tiger cubs in a temple freezer. A day later, police stopped a monk and two other men in a truck leaving the temple with two tiger skins, more than 700 vials containing tiger skin and a suitcase with tiger teeth, officials said.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-06-08

"Police detained two caretakers at the facility who claimed the tigers were the private property of the home's owner, said Montri. Police were searching for the owner who was not there during the raid."

That should be interesting. Don't hold your breath waiting for the owner's name.

"Police detained two caretakers at the facility who claimed the tigers were the private property of the home's owner, said Montri. Police were searching for the owner who was not there during the raid."

That should be interesting. Don't hold your breath waiting for the owner's name.

Of course no one connected with the temple will have the slightest idea how the tigers came to be in the slaughterhouse.

Well we all knew this story was going to keep unfolding however this is just about as low as it gets but I have a feeling that there's a lot more to come

I don't know how they found it but hats off to the authorities and threaten these two low life's with life in jail unless they give up the names of the Mr bigs involved .

I think one of the worst things about crimes like this in Thailand are the people who commit them thinking they've done nothing wrong. Criminals like this have amassed the power and money and think they can do whatever they want. That they're special. They then act genuinely shocked and come off indignant when they're accused or punished.

I can handle bad people in this life. I just can't handle bad people who think they're decent and special. Some foreigners often say "well, it happens all over the world" when talking about crimes here in Thailand. Sure, or course it does. But I don't think it's just the crime that's got people so mad. It's also the hypocrisy.

The day something changes in Thailand will be the day the owner/abbott is present during a raid.

Don't see that happening in my or my grandkids lifetimes.

Monks behaving badly is almost daily news and nothing seems to happen.

Must embolden them even more as their ' untouchable ' status expands.

Before the usual suspects jump in with but but Yes some monks have been disrobed but they're of the junior variety and very expendable but go to the top of the triangle and there's not much to worry about.

Clearly there is a larger network involved here. My guess is the Chinese tourist that are appearing in their literal millions are the destination for a lot of this tiger produce.

So it stands to reason that the authorities should start to investigate where these tourists shop. Anyone ever been in the huge septerium and herb companies that serve the hundreds of bus loads of Chinese tourists that visit them every day along Lat Krabang Road.

From the link in the OP - "Police said they believe the home is owned by Thawat Kajornchaikul."

Well we all knew this story was going to keep unfolding however this is just about as low as it gets but I have a feeling that there's a lot more to come

I don't know how they found it but hats off to the authorities and threaten these two low life's with life in jail unless they give up the names of the Mr bigs involved .

I think they will be threatened with jail IF they give up the names of those involved!

I think they will be threatened with jail IF they give up the names of those involved!
Sadly true.

From the link in the OP - "Police said they believe the home is owned by Thawat Kajornchaikul."

Yes, thank you for that, I missed the link. As stated, his nickname is Sia Tong. Perhaps when they come for him he will have tong sia.

I think one of the worst things about crimes like this in Thailand are the people who commit them thinking they've done nothing wrong. Criminals like this have amassed the power and money and think they can do whatever they want. That they're special. They then act genuinely shocked and come off indignant when they're accused or punished.

I can handle bad people in this life. I just can't handle bad people who think they're decent and special. Some foreigners often say "well, it happens all over the world" when talking about crimes here in Thailand. Sure, or course it does. But I don't think it's just the crime that's got people so mad. It's also the hypocrisy.

The majority of people who commit organized crime do not think they have done anything wrong, it is just business.

I never got to see this Tiger place, and now I am glad that I avoided it.

My Thailand family seen it and they were not that happy to see the animals

as the tigers seemed drugged.

I have seen many nice temples that are great structures, and have monks

and staff that are very nice people. some places have schools that teach the

poor children who cannot afford an education. These places that I was at ,were mostly in the north of Thailand, and I was impressed to see the effort of these good people. It is disgusting to see what is unfolding with the Tiger temple, but I am

glad it is getting shut down, and I do hope there will be many people arrested

and go to jail.

Geezer

If the temple was involved in the trade of supplying tiger parts then now that its been shut down, what are the implications for the remaining wild tigers (approx. 200) in Thailand?

If I can't trust the Thai monks and I can't trust the police, nor the tuk-tuk drivers, nor the junta - then who did the Minister want me to trust when he proclaimed the new tourism slogan "trust me, we are Thai"?

Trust you Thai girlfriend and put all your possessions under her name... Or else...

Hats off to the authorities! ... why?

Reports of abuse have been flowing for decades about this 'sanctuary'

The question that should be asked is.... why do something about it now all of a sudden?

Who used to be flavour of the month and who allowed it to continue for so long?