Three tips for driving in Thailand

Inspire

Three tips for driving in Thailand

Orlando Barton

driving2.jpg

If you’ve never driven in Thailand, the prospect can be intimidating. For me, the car is driven on the wrong side of the road, the driver’s seat is on the wrong side of the car, and never in my life have I seen so many motorbikes.

That’s the story this week’s picture tells. It was taken in Bangkok at the intersection of Asoke and Sukhumvit Roads. Just an average chaotic day on the streets of a city with 12 million people.

For those who have yet to enjoy the thrill of driving in Thailand, I’ve thrown together a short list of things to remember should you find yourself strapped in behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.

Rule #1: They don’t see you.
Thai drivers are pretty much only concerned with themselves and where they want to go. That’s just how they survive in traffic here. So, when everyone is standing around at the scene of an accident surveying the mangled remains of their vehicles and someone is saying, “I never saw you” … they are telling the truth. Drive defensively.

Rule #2: Nothing you do will change what a Thai person is doing on the road.
It doesn’t matter if they are speeding down a lane they created all by themselves, or poking along at 20 KPH in the middle of a ten lane thoroughfare, nothing you do will change their behavior. Honking your horn or “horning” them is considered extremely rude and may result in Thai road rage which can actually be deadly.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/three-tips-driving-thailand/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-06-12

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My tip: Drive carefully but don't expect any one else to do the same. In fact expecting other people to follow the rules will get you into a crash in a very short time.

Thai drivers are similar to toddlers running with knives. They are confident and know where they are going, but they have no thought that they are doing something dangerous.

I have 3 tips about driving in Thailand.

First tip dont. Second tip dont. Third tip dont.

Well How in the heck would one get around or should they never leave their house? Yes there is a very good public transportation system in BKK, CM etc but outside of that it can be a bit challenging. I have taken bus's north to south and while convenient its on their schedule not yours.

Driving is like driving anywhere. Firstly you have to know how to drive to begin with, if you were a marginal driver where you came from, here will be a huge wake up call. Secondly you have to pay attention. I have absolutely no issues driving in Thailand. whether it be city, country or hi-ways etc. I have 3 forms of transportation and I use all 3 routinely. However I do understand that for some driving in Thailand it can be intimidating, especially if you are older and your reactions are slower and patience level is far less.

Edited by JAFO

Drive like your life depended on it.

This evry place on planet need do.

I think the risks may be a tad higher here, I might be wrong but someone has to be causing all those deaths on the road.coffee1.gif

Yes there is a very good public transportation system in BKK, CM etc

You must kidding mecheesy.gif .

If in BKK have trasportation system( i am sure its FAR from good)

But where you saw in CM... and etc?blink.png

So no choice.. only self drive

I think the risks may be a tad higher here, I might be wrong but someone has to be causing all those deaths on the road.coffee1.gif

death on the road.. death on the road.. all statistic need look carefully.

Deaths on road almost scooter/moped/bike driver. get look HOW some Thai drive.. no light, no helmet not any protect, no look mirror then change line, cut..

so if you do same it very hight risk be deaths.. much more then in Europe( in Europe you cant do it long time- police detain you.)

But it still not higher risk then in India, China,Nigeria and many another country.

And if you care drive risk still higher then in Europe but not much as you might think.

Buy a dash cam. Don't expect anyone, from Road Safety Council through police down to buffalo drivers, to know anything (or care about) the laws of the land, common courtesy, saying thank you, respecting your right to be alive.

Flashing lights means 'get out of my way or we both die'. A blinking direction indicator doesn't even mean 'I intend to turn right but may change my mind later', it means nothing at all.

I have 3 tips about driving in Thailand.

First tip dont. Second tip dont. Third tip dont.

So how moved in Thailand?

Walk?Fly?Train?

You do not trust your life youself as driver, but you trust others?

You're a bad driver?rolleyes.gif

death on the road.. death on the road.. all statistic need look carefully.

Deaths on road almost scooter/moped/bike driver. get look HOW some Thai drive.. no light, no helmet not any protect, no look mirror then change line, cut..

so if you do same it very hight risk be deaths.. much more then in Europe( in Europe you cant do it long time- police detain you.)

But it still not higher risk then in India, China,Nigeria and many another country.

And if you care drive risk still higher then in Europe but not much as you might think.

For god's sake, stop trying to justify the damn carnage. You keep saying motorbikes and I'm sure more are killed on bikes, but there's still plenty of motor vehicle deaths, every day. No matter how careful and defensive your driving is, you can't prevent that drunken lunatic barreling through a red light, or one in a Mercedes wiping you out from the rear. It's totally irrelevant to me if the risks are higher in India, China or Nigeria, I don't drive there, nor am I ever likely to. Do you ever watch the news on Thai TV in the mornings? Maybe you should before you keep on spouting that it ain't so bad here.

Edited by giddyup

A blinking direction indicator doesn't even mean 'I intend to turn right but may change my mind later', it means nothing at all.

A blinking right direction indicator can mean "you can overtake, the road ahead is free" on roads with one lane very common.

Tip One bigger is better. Get a big Truck/SUVCar for safety.

Tip Two. Nobody Drives here like you do/did in the western/modern world.

Tip Three. Learn to be calm and don't suffer any form of road rage. It simply isn't worth it..

I could give more but there are three.

A blinking direction indicator doesn't even mean 'I intend to turn right but may change my mind later', it means nothing at all.

A blinking right direction indicator can mean "you can overtake, the road ahead is free" on roads with one lane very common.
Does it ever mean I'm turning right ... sometime in the future...... Edited by JAS21

I'm sorry but you are so wrong. If someone gave me a RH blinker I'd stay, it's the left hand blinker that signals the road ahead is clear and it's ok to overtake. How long have you been in Thailand and driving here? In the western world, what you say is correct.

Does it ever mean I'm turning right ... sometime in the future......

it properly means: 'i have turned right some time ago but i have turned right ever since and my indicator has not canceled itself out' ,or, 'my self - canceling' indicator mechanism is broken but i am too unaware/lazy/stupid/tightarsed to do something about it.

or all of the above.

Many years ago when I learnt to drive in the UK, my driving instructor said to me never ever assume anyone ever sees you. He went on to say that to stay as safe as you can, you must presume that everyone else out there is totally blind and then act accordingly, then you will never go far wrong. Wise words I think no matter where you drive in the world.