computer won't recognize wireless mouse receiver when placed in USB port

maphraw

My wireless mouse that I have been using for a few years broke when I. dropped it on the floor. Beyond repair it seems. I bought a new one and it doesn't work. I tried microsoft troubleshooting and it indicated that the device might be old. I am afraid that if I buy a new one i will still have the same problem. I can't stand using my computer without the mouse. Maybe a good repairman would know what the problem is. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I had the same problem with a new USB mouse. I simply did a computer re-start with the USB dongle installed and it finally found the right driver. I am running Win 8.1

Also try a different USB port. If you have already tried these solutions with no joy, then I'd try the mouse on another machine and see if it works.

Can't you just plug it into another PC and see if that works?

What do you see when you go to your Device manager???

If you still have the box, or you know the brand, just download the right driver. An update of your Bluetooth might be necessary as well.

As already mentioned, unplug the device, switch the machine off, restart it and plug it in. If the machine doesn't recognize it, see Bluetooth and driver troubleshooting.

But first make sure that the thingy works on another PC. What system are you running? Please try this: ( and make sure there's a battery inside the mouse with at least 1.5 volt)

1. Remove USB receiver and wireless mouse battery for 5 seconds. ...
  2. Go to RUN (Win Logo + R) and type “devmgmt.msc” to open device manager.
  3. Now find Mice and other pointing devices and find your wireless mouse.
  4. Now right click on your wireless mouse and click Scan for hardware changes.

<snip>

Go to RUN (Win Logo + R) and type devmgmt.msc to open device manager.

Now find Mice and other pointing devices and find your wireless mouse.

Now right click on your wireless mouse and click Scan for hardware changes.

<snip>

To be able to run Devmgmt.msc and do the things you say, you must be logged in as Administrator to your PC, else you will get this message

post-10213-0-55402400-1465719571_thumb.j

<snip>

Go to RUN (Win Logo + R) and type devmgmt.msc to open device manager.

Now find Mice and other pointing devices and find your wireless mouse.

Now right click on your wireless mouse and click Scan for hardware changes.

<snip>

To be able to run Devmgmt.msc and do the things you say, you must be logged in as Administrator to your PC, else you will get this message

attachicon.gifdevmg.JPG

Of course do you have to have administrator rights to make any changes. If the OP's running W 10 you only have to go to your Windows Logo, right click and select Device manager. Many ways lead to Rome....

Try to put the dongle in another position. When I put it in the back it doesn't work, in the front it does.

USB ports can wear out and it might work when you insert it a couple of times. Or it's a tiny wire that comes from the motherboard.

The reason it doesnt work in the back is that it is out of range.

The usual range for such a mouse is a few meters. And if don't get the signal to the rear connection, just use a short USB cable extension to leave the front ports free.

I've used a wireless mouse for a seminar and it worked a few meters away. But that doesn't help you when the battery is almost empty.

BTW, wireless and bluetooth are different. Bluetooth is very flaky. Wireless usually works with no problems. If the computer is not finding your wireless dongle, it seems to be a problem with the dongle. You reported that your previous wireless mouse worked fine. If you are plugging the dongle into the same USB port as you did with your previous dongle, it's obviously a problem with the new dongle and mouse. Buy a high-quality Oker wireless mouse with adjustable DPI. They've always worked well for me.

Bluetooth is very flaky? never had the slightest problem using Bluetooth mice with computers and tablets.

And it has the immense advantage in my eyes of not requiring a dongle that ties up an USB port and that can be lost, broken etc.

Does your wireless mouse have a 'pairing' button? This establishes communication between the mouse & the dongle, not all have them, but some do.

Stupid i know, but did you put the batteries into the mouse? And is it switched on?

Stupid i know, but did you put the batteries into the mouse? And is it switched on?

Even more stupid: is(are) the battery(ies) in the right direction?

Real life case... Had a call from a non too tech savvy friend yesterday asking for help. That was the reason why his wireless mouse wasn't working anymore. He had replaced the battery and put it backwards biggrin.png

My wireless mouse now works after having left the receiver in the USB port for about 2 hours. I don't know why. I didn't intend to do this. Before the two hours it would not work at all.

Care to disclose what kind of mouse and receiver it is ? Maybe (just a guess though) the receiver needed "charging" ?

Real life case... Had a call from a non too tech savvy friend yesterday asking for help. That was the reason why his wireless mouse wasn't working anymore. He had replaced the battery and put it backwards biggrin.png

Do the batteries fit in the mouse? In other words ... Are they the right size?

Do the batteries fit in the mouse? In other words ... Are they the right size?

biggrin.png Not sure about the OP, but my batteries fitted eventually.

They came out easy enough as well with the pliers; (someone had left a plastic isolator strip across the terminals in there) and back in with the hammer..........................thumbsup.gif

tongue.png

My wireless mouse now works after having left the receiver in the USB port for about 2 hours. I don't know why. I didn't intend to do this. Before the two hours it would not work at all.

So it did install a driver without you even recognizing it...laugh.png

Archived