Video: Smile please! Local official flattened by backhoe in photo op gone wrong

webfact

Video: Smile please! Local official flattened by backhoe in photo op gone wrong

s4a.jpg
Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- It is a normal scene in Thailand. A group of officials lined up for a photo opportunity proud of the work in progress.

Except this time the smiles turned to shouts of anguish as a backhoe reversed over the boss of the municipal authority.

The drama happened in Pathum Thani as local executive officers inspected work at Klong Chiang Rak Noi, reported Thairath.

As the group were saying cheese nobody had told the driver they were there. Prasert Khaithong, head of the Khlong Luang municipality fell under the tracks of the large digger as five others around him went to his aid.

He was quickly bundled into a car and hurried off to hospital where he was found to have suffered damage to his right calf and a toe.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzJqXKn-Wxo

...stand next to 20 tonne digger for a photo....obviously motor was running and the motor sound being projected directly at the ear level of the officials.....nobody told the driver ???....achine should have been completely shut down pre-photo

Absolute stupidity......you really have to wonder at the sheer brainless acts of people..........lucky he wasn't crushed to death...trust he makes a swift recovery.

Construction site safety even more necessary when common sense in such short supply, but having worked here this doesn't surprise me at all. Even though they might have hard hat and PPE signs, that doesn't mean anybody takes any notice of them. Safety officers only exist on international projects.

A perfect example of how most Thai's address Safety. That is, they will talk Safety, put up Safety First signs, maybe even wear a orange vest if forced, but basically it's all just talk (blah, blah, blah) about Safety. Their true attitude towards Safety is "nothing will happen to me, I'm not afraid, I have a half-dozen amulets hanging on my neck to protect me, etc." An attitude that permeates throughout the Thai society for construction, electrical, driving, just about everything. Safety Isn't First in Thailand....it's much further down their priority list.

At least once a week I see Thai technicians fixing air-conditioners a few centimeters from falling off a ledge not attached to a safety harness or anybody holding them are even anything close to being considered safe.

This is in the middle of the CBD of Sathorn/Silom too. Visible to thousands, not just me.

...stand next to 20 tonne digger for a photo....obviously motor was running and the motor sound being projected directly at the ear level of the officials.....nobody told the driver ???....achine should have been completely shut down pre-photo

Absolute stupidity......you really have to wonder at the sheer brainless acts of people..........lucky he wasn't crushed to death...trust he makes a swift recovery.

Why should the machine have been shut down. The operator had a job to do and a time limit. If the muppets from the district office wanted a photo op, how about standing 20 feet further away?

I hope the fool with the injured leg makes a speedy recovery and can hop it back to his office.

Many people think Thais in general are just a tiny bit thick.

I don't understand why...

W

Probably people who find themselves superior to Thais but in reality have not done much in life themselves.

You should look at stunts go wrong or just news articles in foreign newspapers and see that accidents and idiots are all over the world. However this would shatter the ego of quite a few foreigners so they rather not think about this. I believe for instance Jackass for instance are Americans.