Farage quits as UKIP Leader

GuestHouse

He may be an annoying little pip-squeak but he's neither an embarrassment nor a racist. The bullingdon club needed up-ending and that is exactly what he's done.

Hats off to him, regardless of what it may cost in the long run.

The funny thing is, the anti-democratic facist remainers are calling people names, pots and kettles come to mind

The EU resembles more and more the Soviet Union. A centralised, undemocratic bureaucracy that exerts control over such a diverse region, forcing on it a financial and social model that doesn't work, and in doing so has inflicted such misery on those who can't or don't fit in. Great job Farage in bringing down the metropolitan elites who never have to live with the consequences of their failed social and economic experiment. Looking at the politics in Europe right now, Brexit is only the start,and its result hopefully will herald a long overdue reshaping of British politics: the the old parties no longer represent the true divisions in society anymore, and the sooner they are replaced by ones that do, so much the better.

Interesting too how the Blairite liberal (who call themselves Conservative, but aren't) and intellectual leftist Guardianista Remainer camp (who call themselves Labour and claim to represent the poor, but don't) are howling down the result of a national vote and deriding as stupid those who voted, in a majority, to get out. How democratic is that? They should be ashamed of themselves.

He may be an annoying little pip-squeak but he's neither an embarrassment nor a racist. The bullingdon club needed up-ending and that is exactly what he's done.

The funny thing is, the anti-democratic facist remainers are calling people names, pots and kettles come to mind

The EU resembles more and more the Soviet Union. A centralised, undemocratic bureaucracy that exerts control over such a diverse region, forcing on it a financial and social model that doesn't work, and in doing so has inflicted such misery on those who can't or don't fit in. Great job Farage in bringing down the metropolitan elites who never have to live with the consequences of their failed social and economic experiment. Looking at the politics in Europe right now, Brexit is only the start,and its result hopefully will herald a long overdue reshaping of British politics: the the old parties no longer represent the true divisions in society anymore, and the sooner they are replaced by ones that do, so much the better.

Interesting too how the Blairite liberal (who call themselves Conservative, but aren't) and intellectual leftist Guardianista Remainer camp (who call themselves Labour and claim to represent the poor, but don't) are howling down the result of a national vote and deriding as stupid those who voted, in a majority, to get out. How democratic is that? They should be ashamed of themselves.

Interesting to see the the Tory government, who called the referendum have not enacted Article 50 (and show no signs of being eager to do so), but have started voicing opinions about reducing regulations - the regulations they are concerned with are removal of the minimum wage, removal of maternity rights, removal of the working hours directive... and of course more controls over unions.

Interesting to see the the Tory government, who called the referendum have not enacted Article 50 (and show no signs of being eager to do so), but have started voicing opinions about reducing regulations - the regulations they are concerned with are removal of the minimum wage, removal of maternity rights, removal of the working hours directive... and of course more controls over unions.

It's early days yet. If they don't invoke article 50, then they are not the Tory party: they have instead morphed into the Blairite Liberal party, indistinguishable from the Blairite Labour Party, as I have stated in my post above. If they don't invoke article 50, then they are just the latest manifestation of metropolitan purveyors of PR soundbites, divorced from their electorate, where cronyism has replaced principles.

The Conservative Party is in its death throes anyway, as is the Labour Party, and I'm hoping that parties that actually represent the divisions in society will replace them in due course. The sooner that happens, the better. I'm sure that Farage and others like him will be back if Mrs. May turns out to be yet another Liberal impostor, pretending to be a Conservative, but lacking the conviction to carry our the will of the people by invoking Article 50.

it is also interesting that the Labour party, traditionally a supporter of the poor and the workers doesn't seem to have any coherent plan what to do. They too are split and riven by internal rivalries. Their leader, Jeremy Corbyn has faced a motion of no confidence

and few of the Labour MPs seem to support him. Two candidates are standing against him but he will get the union block votes which in itself is a travesty.

British politics are going through a great upheaval at this time and it would take a very brave and confident person to predict what British politics will look like by the New Year.

I could make a prediction but it wouldn't be of much use as I didn't even win anything on the lottery yesterday.

It's early days yet. If they don't invoke article 50, then they are not the Tory party: they have instead morphed into the Blairite Liberal party, indistinguishable from the Blairite Labour Party, as I have stated in my post above. If they don;t invoke article 50, then they are just the latest manifestation of metropolitan purveyors of PR soundbites, divorced from their electorate, where cronyism has replaced principles.

The Conservative Party is in its death throes anyway, as is the Labour Party, and I'm hoping that parties that actually represent the divisions in society will replace them in due course. The sooner that happens, the better.

The LibDems will stand an even worse trip at the next election than they did in 2015.

Where is Screaming Lord Sutch and the Official Monster Raving Loony Party when you really need him?

Sadly he died on June 16 1999.

it is also interesting that the Labour party, traditionally a supporter of the poor and the workers doesn't seem to have any coherent plan what to do. They too are split and riven by internal rivalries. Their leader, Jeremy Corbyn has faced a motion of no confidence

and few of the Labour MPs seem to support him. Two candidates are standing against him but he will get the union block votes which in itself is a travesty.

British politics are going through a great upheaval at this time and it would take a very brave and confident person to predict what British politics will look like by the New Year.

I could make a prediction but it wouldn't be of much use as I didn't even win anything on the lottery yesterday.

I thought the Labour leader vote was dependent on party members? Are the unions involved in this decision?

Genuine question.

I thought the Labour leader vote was dependent on party members? Are the unions involved in this decision?

Genuine question.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/14/new-members-may-be-barred-from-voting-in-labour-leadership-contest

We have a split in the Labour Party, whereby most of its MPs are not Labour at all, in that they don't support the poor or the working classes who (by and large) voted to leave the EU. Most Labour MPs are in fact Blairite Liberals detached from their electorate, indistinguishable from their like-minded kin who have taken over the Conservative Party. Strange though it may seem, Jeremy Corbyn is one of the few authentic Labour politicians left, and this is why his morphed-into-Blairite-Liberal party hates him so much.

The rules as they stood when Corbyn was installed meant that it was the party membership, rather then fellow MPs, who elect the leader. Anyone used to be able to pay three pounds to become a member of the labour party and participate in leadership elections immediately, which in itself was an indication of Corbyn's popularity among ordinary Labour people (who vote for him) and Blairite Liberal MPs pretending to be Labour MPs (who want him out but can't get rid of him).

From the article above, it looks like the Blairite Liberals are having their way and changing the rules:

http://www.labour.org.uk/pages/labour-party-leadership-election-2016

They are making it harder on Corbyn by preventing new members from voting for him. This will likely herald the death of the Labour Party, and from its ashes will rise a new party that actually represents the poor. This is a good thing - we need to hear both sides of the political argument and all parts of our society need honest representation, rather then the impostors that have subverted our democratic traditions in recent years.

Genuine question.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/14/new-members-may-be-barred-from-voting-in-labour-leadership-contest

We have a split in the Labour Party, whereby most of its MPs are not Labour at all, in that they don't support the poor or the working classes who (by and large) voted to leave the EU. Most Labour MPs are in fact Blairite Liberals detached from their electorate, indistinguishable from their like-minded kin who have taken over the Conservative Party. Strange though it may seem, Jeremy Corbyn is one of the few authentic Labour politicians left, and this is why his morphed-into-Blairite-Liberal party hates him so much.

The rules as they stood when Corbyn was installed meant that it was the party membership, rather then fellow MPs, who elect the leader. Anyone used to be able to pay three pounds to become a member of the labour party and participate in leadership elections immediately, which in itself was an indication of Corbyn's popularity among ordinary Labour people (who vote for him) and Blairite Liberal MPs pretending to be Labour MPs (who want him out but can't get rid of him).

From the article above, it looks like the Blairite Liberals are having their way and changing the rules:

http://www.labour.org.uk/pages/labour-party-leadership-election-2016

They are making it harder on Corbyn by preventing new members from voting for him. This will likely herald the death of the Labour Party, and from its ashes will rise a new party that actually represents the poor. This is a good thing - we need to hear both sides of the political argument and all parts of our society need honest representation, rather then the impostors that have subverted our democratic traditions in recent years.

I agree with the emboldened part, but preventing new members after the vote makes sense to me.

A poster said that the unions would have a vote - is this true?

I think that union members get to vote too but only after a certain time. The rules may be on the Labour party website.

Hardly a definitive answer... (This sounds rude, I didn't mean it that way.)

As far as I know only one poster has claimed that the unions have a vote on this issue, but we'll find out soon enough I expect.

I think that union members get to vote too but only after a certain time. The rules may be on the Labour party website.

Hardly a definitive answer... (This sounds rude, I didn't mean it that way.)

As far as I know only one poster has claimed that the unions have a vote on this issue, but we'll find out soon enough I expect.

The union's do have a say in the decision.

This should not be a surprise given that the Labour Party was founded by the unions.

Meanwhile, back at UKIP, does anyone else think they may gain disaffected/soon-to-be-deselected MPs from Labour (especially if Corbyn stays as leader), or disappointed pro-Brexit MPs from the Conservatives (if they fudge the exit), over the next few years ?

Potentially they might find a lot of support from within both main parties, but will it be enough to actually propel UKIP into serious-contender status, building upon their 4-million votes at the last election ?

Interesting times, and stormy seas, ahead ! rolleyes.gif

Especially if Nigel really does retire to spend more time at home, having achieved his main objective, of a referendum-vote for Brexit. whistling.gif

This autumn's party-conference season should be lively ! laugh.png

Meanwhile, back at UKIP, does anyone else think they may gain disaffected/soon-to-be-deselected MPs from Labour (especially if Corbyn stays as leader), or disappointed pro-Brexit MPs from the Conservatives (if they fudge the exit), over the next few years ?

Potentially they might find a lot of support from within both main parties, but will it be enough to actually propel UKIP into serious-contender status, building upon their 4-million votes at the last election ?

Interesting times, and stormy seas, ahead ! rolleyes.gif

Especially if Nigel really does retire to spend more time at home, having achieved his main objective, of a referendum-vote for Brexit. whistling.gif

This autumn's party-conference season should be lively ! laugh.png

I think that UKIP will pick up quite a few voters from both sides of the house but it it not the number of votes cast that really count but the number of seats gained.

I know that UKIP got over 4 million votes last time (one was mine) but the reality was that they only gained one seat. The SNP OTOH got less than half that number of votes but ended up with 56 seats. Most of that was down to demographics and the collapse of both the Scottish Labour and Tory parties.

Will they get the same number of seats at the next election. IMHO, no they won't and will end up I think, with between 40 and 45. Please don't quote me on this as I am no good with numbers as I was only 6 numbers out on the last Thai lottery. I bought a block of 5 and lost completely.

Archived