Boris Johnson among three Brexiteers with key roles in new UK cabinet

webfact

Boris Johnson foreign secretary? Good grief.

No wonder sterling fell again overnight.sad.png

Except that it did not, but has risen against the baht over the past two days.

Edited by thai3

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The clown is incredibly shrewd. His best is yet to come.

He's certainly intelligent, and I doubt May (a shrewd politician) would have appointed him to such an important position if she thought he would be useless in the post.

There was probably a one way conversation without coffee between May and Johnson where she laid down the rules cheesy.gifthumbsup.gif

That is certainly what a decent, strong Prime Minister would do.

BUT, she included him.

That satisfies me and the balance of the cabinet should satisfy any Brexiteer.

This Brexiteer is satisfied. thumbsup.gifclap2.gif

Political commentators are already questioning if Boris will actually be taken seriously on the international stage and I can imagine why.

Can't help thinking she's putting party unity first.

Boris is a clever and effective political operator. The foreign office and the cabinet discipline should provide a framework to control his silliness.

If Mrs May is to manage Brexit, and indeed all the other challenges., and run an effective government, she needs party unity.

I should imagine that The Daily Mirror has had the crack about "darling buddies of May " on file waiting for some time!

Taking The Mirrors commentary on Tory cabinet appointments as serious comment is a bit like believing what the Daily Express says about the death of Princess Diana!

smile.png

So clever he had to pass on the PM's role because he hadn't actually anticipated the Brexit campaign succeeding and so suddenly found himself in a position he didn't know how to deal with it.

He has been very shrewd and obviously made a deal. This has been no surprise to him. Had he gone for PM it would have been a long drawn out uncertain fight. He now has just landed the number 2 job ! Eccentric - yes, stupid - far from it.

So clever he had to pass on the PM's role because he hadn't actually anticipated the Brexit campaign succeeding and so suddenly found himself in a position he didn't know how to deal with it.

He passed because he has no balls.

Being PM now is a potential career breaker, Boris would rather wait and have his chance later, at a safer time.

May took the PM post, as it's the only chance she will ever get, she's too old and too unpopular to wait.

He passed because he has no balls.

Being PM now is a potential career breaker, Boris would rather wait and have his chance later, at a safer time.

May took the PM post, as it's the only chance she will ever get, she's too old and too unpopular to wait.

True. Actually the Government that take over this tricky task could do very well out of it as with the recovery the UK will make they may all be hailed as heroes. This will put Labour in a very bad position. Boris and co have nothing to lose now and everything to gain. He will take leadership of the party in an election or two.

The clown is incredibly shrewd. His best is yet to come.

He's certainly intelligent, and I doubt May (a shrewd politician) would have appointed him to such an important position if she thought he would be useless in the post.

He dropped out of the PM race, after a striking a deal with her for the post. Quid pro Quo.

Edited by MissAndry

No idea where you have been looking.

It fell overnight.

And will fall again when Carney opens his mouth later on.

Johnson is not the clown he looks like, good choice

Absolutely right and it is inconceivable that Boris would not be involved in someway. Not sure I saw the Foreign Secretary role coming though - good luck to him and well done May.

You don't get to become Mayor of London by being a clown...................................... oh, wait - there was Ken Livingston of course.

Oh well.......exceptions to every rule and all that smile.png

I would rather have a clown than the Mayor London has got now

At least you're opaque in your reason for leaving and also your dislike of the new Mayor.

Quoting Caps from another thread:

'They is nothing Racist about wanting to protect your countries way of life and to look after your citizens by preventing Leeches (and lets face it thats what the majority of them are) coming in and trying to take over, ruin things, commit acts of terrorisum, put pressure on housing and benefits'

Also quoting Caps:

'My GF is from Isaan. We have been together 18 months and live in a very modest apartment in BKK. She works in a restaurant every day for a pittance and contributes to the rent and food where she can. She does not want to live in the UK but would like to visit, and we are thinking of moving to her village area to settledown.'

A telling and somewhat hypocritical (not untypical) Brexiter TV profile. Many other brexiters on this forum deride Thais and Thai xenophobia ironically. Will give you credit at least this is not evident in your profile. Bottom line, wish majority of brexiters would just be honest and state flat out the primary reason they are leavers stems from their xenophobia and fear of immigrants, instead of using 'dog-whistle speak' in a vain attempt to thinly veil this base fact.

Edit to add: BoJo is an embarrassing self-opportunist clown, full stop.

Edited by sujoop

It fell overnight.

I've been checking SCB TT rates - and it increased overnight from yesterday mid-day.

Many other brexiters on this forum deride Thais and Thai xenophobia ironically. Will give you credit at least this is not evident in your profile. Bottom line, wish majority of brexiters would just be honest and state flat out the primary reason they are leavers stems from their xenophobia and fear of immigrants, instead of using 'dog-whistle speak' in a vain attempt to thinly veil this base fact.

Pie gives the reason for Brexit and that reason is the Conservatives austerity measures.

They have forced the poorer voter into a situation where their only sensible choice was to vote leave.

The referendum gave everyone two possible choices 'remain' (nothing changes) or 'leave' (uncertainty).

If you have nothing, no hope and no future are you really going to vote for everything to stay the same, of course you're not.

Here's the explanation in a video,

Edited by MissAndry

Absolutely right and it is inconceivable that Boris would not be involved in someway. Not sure I saw the Foreign Secretary role coming though - good luck to him and well done May.

You don't get to become Mayor of London by being a clown...................................... oh, wait - there was Ken Livingston of course.

At least you're opaque in your reason for leaving and also your dislike of the new Mayor.

'They is nothing Racist about wanting to protect your countries way of life and to look after your citizens by preventing Leeches (and lets face it thats what the majority of them are) coming in and trying to take over, ruin things, commit acts of terrorisum, put pressure on housing and benefits'

Also quoting Caps:

'My GF is from Isaan. We have been together 18 months and live in a very modest apartment in BKK. She works in a restaurant every day for a pittance and contributes to the rent and food where she can. She does not want to live in the UK but would like to visit, and we are thinking of moving to her village area to settledown.'

A telling and somewhat hypocritical (not untypical) Brexiter TV profile. Many other brexiters on this forum deride Thais and Thai xenophobia ironically. Will give you credit at least this is not evident in your profile. Bottom line, wish majority of brexiters would just be honest and state flat out the primary reason they are leavers stems from their xenophobia and fear of immigrants, instead of using 'dog-whistle speak' in a vain attempt to thinly veil this base fact.

Like too many other 'remain' posters - you're assuming that one 'brexiteer' is typical of all the others.

I've said all along that I'm in two minds about the issue - liking some things about the EU, whilst disliking other things.

Yes, one of my 'dislikes' is the way that too many unskilled people (from far poorer countries) have been allowed into the UK - thus driving down salaries for those Brit. people in already poorly paid jobs. This is FAR from saying that I'm racist or in fear of immigrants!

Also quoting Caps:

You are like a broken record. Are you STILL going on about Brexiters being xenophobic? Over several threads in the last 48 hours if I would have a 1000 baht for every time you have used the word Xenophobic I could have a good party this weekend. Is this a word you have just added to your repertoire? Just read in the dictionary? I was reading the post but did not look at the name of the poster, as soon as I read the word xenophobic and Brexiters together twice I thought 'it's him again', and sure enough sujoop, it is. Lets try and get through the rest of the day without anymore 'xenophobics' eh!

Many other brexiters on this forum deride Thais and Thai xenophobia ironically. Will give you credit at least this is not evident in your profile. Bottom line, wish majority of brexiters would just be honest and state flat out the primary reason they are leavers stems from their xenophobia and fear of immigrants, instead of using 'dog-whistle speak' in a vain attempt to thinly veil this base fact.

Pie gives the reason for Brexit and that reason is the Conservatives austerity measures.

They have forced the poorer voter into a situation where their only sensible choice was to vote leave.

The referendum gave everyone two possible choices 'remain' (nothing changes) or 'leave' (uncertainty).

If you have nothing, no hope and no future are you really going to vote for everything to stay the same, of course you're not.

Here's the explanation in a video,

No, the divide between rich and poor has been going on for decades - highlighted by many events.

The poor have finally seen that they are always on the losing 'end' and that Brit. politicians only care about themselves and the wealthy - IMO of course.

The EU referendum brought this to a head as everyone knows that the EU is largely undemocratic and are allowing ever more unskilled workers into the UK.

I'm only suprised that the working class finally realised that everything they have experienced was in direct contrast to politicians' opinions and advice!

It fell overnight.

I've been checking SCB TT rates - and it increased overnight from yesterday mid-day.
It fell overnight from around 46.8 to 46.2 this morning.

At the moment it has crept up to 46.4

XE mid market rates.

Thai time.

Edited by Eclipse

Boris, Farage and even Trump do not conform to what the general public consider to be 'Leader' material, all 3 may seem eccentric or oddball but Trump is a self made billionaire, Farage is a well respected businessman (outside politics) and Boris became Mayor of London and worked tirelessly on behalf of British Industry abroad, no mean feat especially when compared to the namby pamby politicians that sit in Parliament all day nodding their heads and only getting up for a lunch or toilet break.

Edited by Mr Moo

It fell overnight.

It fell overnight from around 46.8 to 46.2 this morning.

At the moment it has crept up to 46.4

XE mid market rates.

Thai time.

Whereas it was 44 point something, the last time I checked SCB TT rates yesterday.

There was probably a one way conversation without coffee between May and Johnson where she laid down the rules cheesy.gifthumbsup.gif

That is certainly what a decent, strong Prime Minister would do.

BUT, she included him.

That satisfies me and the balance of the cabinet should satisfy any Brexiteer.

This seems to me quite a Brexit cabinet - which leads me to think that May might have been quietly a Brexit supporter herself.

Sterling dipped before the appointments.

Smart move by the new PM.

Just proves there are leaks...

I would not call it a smart move, just prove Teresa has a sense of humour, though I think this little joke is going to come back and bit her in the bum.

Bet Boris will be the first minister she will sack.

Sterling dipped before the appointments.

Smart move by the new PM.

Bet Boris will be the first minister she will sack.

No.

I think you will find that was the odious little turd George (I'm leaving by the back door) Osborne.

No,not always but often.

I worked for one of the organizations sponsoring the Beijing Olympics. Johnson was invited to the pre-games activities as London would be the next hosts. I know some of the senior and marketing people who attended from our organization. His ex public schoolboyish humor and sometimes eccentric behavior is not always appreciated nor is his lack of empathy for the cultures and wishes of others.

We shall see whether it's a good choice or not.

Johnson has nowhere to hide now! He has pretty much insulted most foreign leaders and high officials in the past including Obama, Clinton and Trump. I suspect he will have a lot of grovelling to do first of all. It is actually a shrewd move by May in the name of uniting the party whilst putting the main brexit bullsh*tter front and centre. I think David Davis is a good choice to head up the divorce, he was very much pro-brexit but doesn't rant and rave like many others.

Early days yet but the markets like May and she is being good to her word and getting on with brexit as she said she would.

Also quoting Caps:

You are like a broken record. Are you STILL going on about Brexiters being xenophobic? Over several threads in the last 48 hours if I would have a 1000 baht for every time you have used the word Xenophobic I could have a good party this weekend. Is this a word you have just added to your repertoire? Just read in the dictionary? I was reading the post but did not look at the name of the poster, as soon as I read the word xenophobic and Brexiters together twice I thought 'it's him again', and sure enough sujoop, it is. Lets try and get through the rest of the day without anymore 'xenophobics' eh!

Ok, won't use that word. Rather, yours. Quote from Andaman Al:

'I was in Sweden a month ago. and whilst my friend was driving me around the city he stopped and pointed and said "this is our new no go area for Swedish nationals'!! He continued that it was a completely Muslim area of migrants and any local entering the area risked beatings or rape. He said even the police stay out. Quite shocking for the 21 century in Europe. At some point the vikings will decide to take their countries back and it is all going to get ugly. Maybe this is what the ultra elite are planning in order to make it easier to bring in a single European wide policing and military system headed from Brussels. SE Asia and ASPAC has never looked so good. My return ticket went in the bin along time ago.'

Point being, wish many Brexiters would simply man up and just call a spade a spade (intended with satire) instead of thinly veiling their primary reason for leaving. Credit due, from your other posts at least you do not appear endeared to that 'other' self-opportunist orangutan, Trump (well done man).

Oh and BoJo is still an embarrassment and a spineless self-opportunist. Leaving, yes. Leaving others to do the heavy lifting whilst he awaits strategically now from just outside pole position, ready to swoop in once more sacrifices fall to the poisoned Brexiter chalice. May is next as she must now proceed in her 'use-by date' utility role. Thus has made it easy for him to accede after she becomes tainted and dispensed from doing the heavy lifting which self-opportunist BoJo spinelessly circumvented.

Johnson has nowhere to hide now! He has pretty much insulted most foreign leaders and high officials in the past including Obama, Clinton and Trump. I suspect he will have a lot of grovelling to do first of all. It is actually a shrewd move by May in the name of uniting the party whilst putting the main brexit bullsh*tter front and centre. I think David Davis is a good choice to head up the divorce, he was very much pro-brexit but doesn't rant and rave like many others.

Early days yet but the markets like May and she is being good to her word and getting on with brexit as she said she would.

I think this appointment of him to Foreign Secretary that Theresa May does definitely have a sense of humour... appointing him to some token position is one thing but appointing him into a position where he has been acting as an anti-foreign secretary... quite humourous.

Since I am quite sure Theresa May is reasonably intelligent.... I think this is an attempt to put him into a position where he is more likely to fail (based on bad blood) than succeed.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

Johnson has nowhere to hide now! He has pretty much insulted most foreign leaders and high officials in the past including Obama, Clinton and Trump. I suspect he will have a lot of grovelling to do first of all.

None necessary, given he was merely responding to insults from each of the trio in the first place.

For the full monty see today's CNN.

Edited by evadgib

I can't see the Government lasting too long with such a small majority: the party is split down the middle, Parliament too, and the Brexit is a poison chalice. I'd guess a year or less. But May might decide on a snap election, while opposition is in such a mess.

Edited by mommysboy

Please, don't spoil the narrative!