Thailand – paradise or paradise lost?

Inspire

Thailand – paradise or paradise lost?

post-245411-0-63546400-1468717987_thumb.

It is one of the most commonly bandied about phrases – such and such a place is “paradise”.

And it has certainly been used in connection with Thailand! Those lucky enough to have come to the Kingdom many years ago certainly thought we had found it but as the years have passed is it still the case?

Do people grow older and does the sense of paradise fade or is it an unattainable Nirvana in these days of tourism and more tourism? And what really constitutes paradise anyway?

For me I came to Thailand in the early eighties without any expectations. I didn’t even have so much as a guidebook though I had read one or two details about the place while I had been travelling in India and thought it might be worth a try. I knew Bangkok was the capital and that was about it.

I went to Malaysia and while there a Canadian guy I met said – if you think this place is beautiful you should try Thailand – it is paradise!

So it was in 1982 with a few hundred dollars and a toothbrush I walked into Thailand at Sungei Kolok on the far southern border before taking a train to Surat Thani. I can recall that day like it was yesterday with all the magical sights and sounds and smells. The country struck me as mysterious and exotic. I figured that it was not going to be that easy to get to know but that it would be worth the effort.

The other places I had been in Asia had been exciting but this place seemed to raise the stakes a notch and I couldn’t really put my finger on why. It seemed somehow out of reach but tantalizing all the same.

The first place I stayed was Samui – there were six sets of bungalows on Chaweng with about 100 meters of empty beach between each. I shared a room with my friend who I was travelling with – we paid 50 baht a night, 25 baht each.

Food cost about 15 to 30 baht a plate in the restaurant. The place was idyllic. It certainly seemed like paradise. I have always liked Samui but going back there now is rather like “paradise lost”.

Next stop was Bangkok and a noisy room next to Hualampong Station. How confusing the city was with its crazy traffic and lack of a recognizable center. I had no idea really where I was or what I was doing. But I knew one thing – for me at least this was paradise.

I was never one for the countryside having grown up in London. Nature was something to be enjoyed for a day or two before getting back home to the towns and cities where real life was. Bangkok to me was the height of confusion and mystery and excitement.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/thailand-paradise-paradise-lost/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-07-17

Paradise it isn't, lost for some? maybe, doesn't make a Deffand to others, Thailand is an easy place

to live compare to many other countries around the world as long as you follow the unwritten rules,

know your place and keep to yourself....

I first came in 1985. Spent three months on Samui....Lamai Beach. For me it was Paradise found. The last time I was there in 2005 I vowed to never return. My friend visiting me here in Thailand nicknamed it Diahrhea Island. He bought one of the expensive lobsters that the German guy got in Pattaya recently. Ruined his week on Samui.

Paradise it isn't, lost for some? maybe, doesn't make a Deffand to others, Thailand is an easy place

to live compare to many other countries around the world as long as you follow the unwritten rules,

know your place and keep to yourself....

That's amazing ezzra.....in over 10 years I find my hand hovering over the "I agree button" for your post.....coffee1.gif

------------

Yes Thailand is still amazing for a lot of people---I was in the merchant navy for some years done S.America----Africa etc etc.... everywhere I went when I mentioned to a local how nice it was---always got the same answer, "You think this is good , you should have been here XX years ago"

LOST! - with an unregulated economy, riddled with corruption no coherent development plan for tourism - just a free-for-all rush to build, Thailand has been shitting in its own nest for the last two or three decades and is continuing to do so.

The first place I stayed was Samui – there were six sets of bungalows on Chaweng with about 100 meters of empty beach between each. I shared a room with my friend who I was travelling with – we paid 50 baht a night, 25 baht each.

Food cost about 15 to 30 baht a plate in the restaurant. The place was idyllic. It certainly seemed like paradise. I have always liked Samui but going back there now is rather like “paradise lost”.

OP says that was in 1982 – nearly 20 years later, in 2001 when I came to Samui first time, the food was still 30 baht for a dish in a local restaurant in Chaweng, but the bungalows were up in level 250 baht to 300 baht; and there were less than 100 meters empty beach between each bungalow resort. However, at other beaches than Chaweng, you could still find hundreds of meters of empty sandy beach between the resorts...

Must have been a great time visiting Samui in the 80'ies, but don't come back if you wish for "Living in the Past". Samui today is different from what it once was – just during the 15 years I've been coming here, a lot has changed – and if you live in "now", it's actually not so bad. However, if one wish to repeat past memories, it will never work coming back – 25 years, or just 15 years, is long time – the bamboo huts has long fallen apart and been replaced with new stuff made of bricks and cement; and the ladies from then, looks like old women now; not to forget the music, which may still be some of the same songs from 25 years ago, but you will hardly recognize them in their techno-remix...biggrin.png

Paradise is definitely not lost – Paradise has just been upgraded a bit... thumbsup.gif

OP says that was in 1982 – nearly 20 years later, in 2001 when I came to Samui first time, the food was still 30 baht for a dish in a local restaurant in Chaweng, but the bungalows were up in level 250 baht to 300 baht; and there were less than 100 meters empty beach between each bungalow resort. However, at other beaches than Chaweng, you could still find hundreds of meters of empty sandy beach between the resorts...

Must have been a great time visiting Samui in the 80'ies, but don't come back if you wish for "Living in the Past". Samui today is different from what it once was – just during the 15 years I've been coming here, a lot has changed – and if you live in "now", it's actually not so bad. However, if one wish to repeat past memories, it will never work coming back – 25 years, or just 15 years, is long time – the bamboo huts has long fallen apart and been replaced with new stuff made of bricks and cement; and the ladies from then, looks like old women now; not to forget the music, which may still be some of the same songs from 25 years ago, but you will hardly recognize them in their techno-remix...biggrin.png

Paradise is definitely not lost – Paradise has just been upgraded a bit... thumbsup.gif

You are right to a degree.The people of my generation that first came here in the 1960s (Me 1961) see a different Thailand and wish it were as before.We tell tales to the newbies of how great it was .Then again the people coming here now will be telling stories to the new ones 20 years from now how great it was back in 2016. It is all relative isn't it ?

I was in Naiharn Beach on Phuket in 1979.

Some people would consider an empty beach, except for a few bungalows at one end and full of cheap Charlie budget travelers grumbling about spending 80 to 100 baht per day ( 3 to 4 dollars a day ) and too expensive while sitting around doing nothing but nursing a beer and a bag of local marijuana, as being a form of paradise.

On the second day I was bored ...as in Boring..... so I wanted to leave and go where there was some action of some kind.

Later on in the trip, I found it in Pattaya and that is what I wanted to experience ...and I did.

And then came back to Thailand again and again and finally came back and stayed....28 years now ...while I am still looking for paradise but I can not find her...... but I found plenty in-between during my search for Paradise while she must be too old now and can not accommodate me.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

I rocked up in late 90s, Koh Pha Ngan, was never into Samui. Even Koh Tao back then. Even then islands didn't have electricity all day, those were the days.

Was beautiful. To be fair though, it still is. Ok, it's changed but where hasn't? You can't stop the march of progress. People will never be able to see these places the same way that we saw them back in the 90s but it is what it is

You find some amazing beach then it will end up developed. People are always 'don't change' 'don't ruin it' but that's kind of selfish. You want it to look a certain way for the 2-3 weeks a year you see it. I don't begrudge people making money. Granted, I wish some places weren't as developed but it's still beautiful and prices generally very good throughout the country

You are right to a degree.The people of my generation that first came here in the 1960s (Me 1961) see a different Thailand and wish it were as before.We tell tales to the newbies of how great it was .Then again the people coming here now will be telling stories to the new ones 20 years from now how great it was back in 2016. It is all relative isn't it ?

Squat toilets, bamboo huts and no air-con, internet or 7-11 ............ sounds great.

Edited by MissAndry

Squat toilets, bamboo huts and no air-con, internet or 7-11 ............ sounds great.

It appears you travel to admire the accommodation rather than the natural scenery that Thailand had to offer.

It appears you travel to admire the accommodation rather than the natural scenery that Thailand had to offer.

I think roughing it is vastly over-rated. I like my civilized pleasures, and I can remember the past. Generally uncomfortable and a bit boring.

Now is good, we have everything we could possibly want in life, comfort and entertainment, I'm not looking at the past with rose tinted glasses.

I might have lasted a week in Thailand 20 years ago, but no more. Natural scenery, I can look out of the window for that.

Edited by MissAndry

All you dreamers need a slap in the face to wake up.

My mum is 92 years old and when i'm staying with

her she carries on like that, the - i remember when -

back in the old days, that's when i stop her and tell

her - look around - we are in the NOW days - stop

dreaming.

The world has changed, the population has exploded.

Gone are the days when travel was for the privileged few , in a box somewhere I have a picture of my Mum & I on Patong beach - think you could see 6 other people. That was a long time ago. Phi Phi was just magical .

The whole golden age of travel has gone. Bit off piste- the major cultural cities such as Rome, Paris, Venice, Florence etc have become a tourist nightmare.

I would not go to Phuket or Samui if you paid me.

However there are still some stunning provinces- Loei is beautiful and unspoilt

Everything is youth- pubs, booze, clubs, drugs. , sex. - find yourself in the full moon parties- screw your brain on mushrooms - it's all so banal .

Wow, so much talk about the old days. Try living this lifestyle in America today! ! ! I came from America 4 years ago

Best move I ever made if I$ lived in America today on Social Security today I would be living in poverty.

Today $ 3000.00 U.S.dollars in Thailand goes a long way. Try living on the same money in America or England or any other European country. It's ok to talk about the old days. But the new days aren't so bad either. Glad to be here

PARADISE FOR WHOM ?

For the average Rice-Farmer deep in the Isaan, Thailand was never a Paradise. Not 40 years ago and not today.

Ask a "Mama-San" that used to be an attractive woman years ago and has not managed to make the escape to Europe or the US ?

Again: Paradise for whom ?

Cheers.

I was first in Pattaya in 1974... A dusty dirt road with a few bungalows. Other places seemed more idyllic, but the rare time I pass through any of the beaches like Phuket that were once undeveloped, they are now swamped and I avoid them... so, I guess at times I miss what used to be but in the same manner in which I miss my youth... that was then, this is now. The world is much more populated now. I have made adjustments and it is all fine. Change will happen.

dreaming.

Exactly. Nothing is ever the same, because it CAN'T be...the tide of life has washed that moment and place away, forever...Thomas Wolfe wrote the book on this...it's called "You Can't Go Home Again"

dreaming.

Last month, my Mom passed away. Oh how I wish I could hear her stories again.

Paradise lost for someone who has lived in Thailand for some years..........paradise found for someone visiting for the first time.

Not all change is good, but change is inevitable.

My observation is that there is no such thing as the 'good old days', different, but not better, or even good. It's a myth, and everything in life is what you make it.

I live for the day and every day was, and is, great. I make it that way, regardless of the $hit going on around me.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I think roughing it is vastly over-rated. I like my civilized pleasures, and I can remember the past. Generally uncomfortable and a bit boring.

Now is good, we have everything we could possibly want in life, comfort and entertainment, I'm not looking at the past with rose tinted glasses.

I might have lasted a week in Thailand 20 years ago, but no more. Natural scenery, I can look out of the window for that.

"Roughing it" - you are now trying to create a false dichotomy

........there is a balance required if you are going to save paradise.

"to pave paradise, put up a parking lot"

the truth is that Thailand has covered a large part of what made the country so attractive with concrete.

If as you seem to e doing - you concentrate on the accommodation it is likely you will fail to notice the disappearance of the very stuff that attracted people to the country in the first place.