Mass tourism celebration as hundreds of new Chinese tour buses procurred, introduced to Phuket traff

rooster59

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the future of tourism in Phuket.

Think about it for a minute. Not 50 extra tour buses on the roads in Phuket. It is 300 extra tour buses packed with Chinese tourists.

If you're in the tourism business and still offering bacon and eggs in your Phuket restaurant, you need to make a paradigm shift in your business model - right now.

"still offering bacon and eggs in your Phuket restaurant"

Considering the fall of the pound and Euro, the paradigm shift has most likely taken place. They probably have already reduced portion size and now offer a choice of egg OR bacon.

"They probably have already reduced portion size and now offer a choice of egg OR bacon." - and soon, no egg, no bacon, only fried rice.

Would Phuket be better served by having a revised baht bus structure that connects the different parts of the island? Especially the tourist parts.

It was the lack of proper public transport here that caused this situation in the first place.

Keep them there.! Mass tourism is not good for any country?

Nothing all that wrong with tourism but as it gets bigger and bigger (mass) any government should have plans of how to employ the same workers if the home economy crashes and outbound tourist numbers take a big plunge etc.

"any government should have plans of how to employ the same workers if the home economy crashes and outbound tourist numbers take a big plunge etc." - this is no problem at all.

The TAT will then start marketing Phuket to quality tourists from Nigeria. biggrin.png

Who else is celebrating besides the outlets that get visits by these Chinese and the TAT? I doubt anyone that receives nothing from these visitors is celebrating. Rawai speedway is already a mess with literally 100 buses parked and driving up and down the speedway as well as blocking traffic at any one time.

If, and it is big if, they would fill all the buses at full capacity, you could take off at least 50% of the buses currently on the island. In a best case scenario currently the buses are only filled to a 50% capacity, and I am being very generous. Viset road has become a parking space for buses and they are arranging more parking spaces left right and center!!!

I have seen the Chinese coach buses full on many occasions, but you are correct, I have also seen them half full on many occasions.

I thought when they were full they were either coming or going from the airport, or a major tourist attraction or activity that everyone on the tour wants to see or do.

When they have not been full, I have thought they are going to a less popular attraction or activity, or perhaps an expensive activity that not everyone can afford.

With all of these extra buses, I'm wondering how long it will be before the Chinese tour companies start offering an "accommodation and land transport only package" where many Chinese will only buy a cheap room and coach bus transport.

Basically, these Chinese coach buses may become a pseudo Phuket bus system for the majority of the tourist demographic coming here now.

There would certainly be a market for such a product.

Edited by NamKangMan

This is like a bad dream with an additional 300 hot headed idiots terrorizing the roads with little or no concern for other motorists surely this cannot be good for Phuket and it's already bad traffic problems.

The transport mafia here refused to change and offer a competitive product when compared to other destinations in Thailand, and the region, so, the tourism industry had to improvise.

The western tourism market here has declined significantly, and there was no way the Chinese could, or would, pay the rip off tuk-tuk fares here, so, that leads Phuket to where it is now, by way of the main tourist demographic, and the transport they use.

Phuket had long ago lost its tropical island feel, but with 300 more buses on the roads here, this will only get worse.

Joy to Phuket, their Lords have come!

If you read your history, the Lords of Phuket have been Chinese for a very, very long time. Outside of Bangkok it is hard to find a more Chinese region than Phuket. As to finding joy in Phuket, well that is a matter of subjective interpretation.

Phuket seems to becoming the hub of Chinese tourism......and with a further 300 coaches hitting the roads, it could be getting uncomfortable.

While western tourist numbers will not decline immediately......once word is out that the island is awash with Chinese, these people will find alternate destinations.

The farang who live there must be a little concerned....

As someone living on Phuket I can tell you that I barely notice the hordes of Chinese.

They go by bus from tourist hot spot to the next, and local farang maybe visit those places once every decade when family or friends stop over.

The only time I come across a group of Chinese is when I go to Central Festival and I notice them shopping at the Tops supermarket there where they only buy chips, instant noodles, and candies.

The traffic congestion is a problem on Phuket, but I doubt that is due to the buses with Chinese. The main reasons I get stuck in traffic is due to all the road construction going on (underpass) and the huge amount of private vehicles being present at any time.

(note to say that I stay in the Old Town area of Phuket and barely cross the mountains to the more touristy spots).

Ok...good point from a resident there.....

Phuket seems to becoming the hub of Chinese tourism......and with a further 300 coaches hitting the roads, it could be getting uncomfortable.

While western tourist numbers will not decline immediately......once word is out that the island is awash with Chinese, these people will find alternate destinations.

The farang who live there must be a little concerned....

As someone living on Phuket I can tell you that I barely notice the hordes of Chinese.

They go by bus from tourist hot spot to the next, and local farang maybe visit those places once every decade when family or friends stop over.

The only time I come across a group of Chinese is when I go to Central Festival and I notice them shopping at the Tops supermarket there where they only buy chips, instant noodles, and candies.

The traffic congestion is a problem on Phuket, but I doubt that is due to the buses with Chinese. The main reasons I get stuck in traffic is due to all the road construction going on (underpass) and the huge amount of private vehicles being present at any time.

(note to say that I stay in the Old Town area of Phuket and barely cross the mountains to the more touristy spots).

As someone that lives in a part of the island where these buses are coming and going constantly, they definitely are a pain in the arse with their, double parking, blocking traffic with their ingress and egress out of where they drop off customers, belching smelly diesel constantly, having clueless Chinese people walking in and across the road without looking, and basically making the area a very undesirable place to find yourself when navigating somewhere.

As someone that lives in a part of the island where these buses are coming and going constantly, they definitely are a pain in the arse with their, double parking, blocking traffic with their ingress and egress out of where they drop off customers, belching smelly diesel constantly, having clueless Chinese people walking in and across the road without looking, and basically making the area a very undesirable place to find yourself when navigating somewhere.

I love it when they come down the small Soi around the temple in Rawai. Couldn't they at least just stay on Visset Road? Just brilliant!

Joy to Phuket, their Lords have come!

The quote, "Be careful of what you wish for.................." also comes to mind.

You can see the demise of Phuket happening right before your eyes, but the Thai "powers that be" just can't see it........blinded by baht signs, which may never eventuate.

300 more buses crawling up the hills- delightful. it took 30 minutes this morning to drive from Heroines to the Bypass Road Koh Kaew traffic lights was the big delay, not the actual underpass construction. I should have come through patong, over the bypass at Tesco and then down the back road to get to Toyota,

Rumour has it the old buses are being turned into baht buses. That should please some readers. rolleyes.gif

Complete rubbish - another troll
Absolutely same realistic story like my father in law always tells about when he was young that he could build a motorbike with little bit plasic, 1 stick, wire, some metal and 5 screws. Edited by schlog

At first, I thought - OK, so really only about 175 new buses on the road, considering 100+ Tranlee buses were recently impounded when that company was raided. (Although 175 new buses would still be a problem).

But.... I'm confident that those impounded buses will find their way back on Phuket roads in short order, one way or another.

Most of the Thai-Visa Phuket people wont have to worry about it........

because any announcement of an increase in tourism is just a conspiracy & complete plot by set up by the TAT.........so keep the tin foil in your hat & you wont be seeing those buses ........................(until they hit you).........coffee1.gif

More traffic do not mean higher revenue for the tourist business, more traffic means higher revenue for car manufacturers/dealers encouraged by the government to sell sell sell, and of course higher revenue for privat hospitals. Now who are shareholders in the car manufacturing, hospitals etc., my neighbour Khun Somchai, dont think so.........rolleyes.gif

Btw. outside the road I have not seen it so quiet here since the Asian finance crisis 97/98.

Oh god. This is why I'm thankful I don't live in Phuket.

Here in Pattaya we have the same situation. angry.gif I am seriously thinking about leaving Thailand. All what we see now is just the beginning. There are hundreds of millions Chinese more to come here. You cannot go anywhere without getting overwhelmed by them.

Was any thought put into the effect of all these extra buses on the road ?

The only thought would be all the money to be made but from Chinese tourists ?

Yes & only a handful of people making the big bucks while all the street level businesses do not get a look in.

Edited by Valentine

Here in Pattaya we have the same situation. angry.gif I am seriously thinking about leaving Thailand. All what we see now is just the beginning. There are hundreds of millions Chinese more to come here. You cannot go anywhere without getting overwhelmed by them.

Why not just move to another part of Thailand? I don't think they're in every province.

Why not just move to another part of Thailand? I don't think they're in every province.

Sure, You can go somewhere in the province, like in the middle of nowhere (e.g. Isaan) and play on the rice fields with the buffalo's.

But I'm not sure that you will not meet them there too. wai2.gif