New Site Feedback

Tech Doctor

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, VBF said:

@JetsetBkk How very odd - that is not the case in Chrome, Edge, or IE!  I'm   not familiar with FF, but are you sure that's not a setting within the browser itself?

Curious to know....... :o

Hi VBF, I'm beginning to think it is a problem at my end default_facepalm.gif

After starting the PC today, I could not see the videos again - just a black rectangle, and not a picture with the "play" arrow in the middle.

So I thought I'd do something really radical and restart the browser. After doing that I could see and play the videos!

I was going to wait until I could reproduce the effect at will before posting again about it, but since you asked...

Edit:

I use "Noscript" but not on Thaivisa, and I use Adblock Plus but, again, not in Thaivisa. So can't think what setting could be causing this.

@JetsetBkk

Well if you get odd issues / behaviour when browsing , always Close / Reopen browser. and try again!  I also recommend running CCleaner to clear caches etc.

I'm not sure it's a problem at your end - more like expected behaviour. As i say, i'm not familiar with FF which is why I cannot even try it but certainly in IE you can set it to open tabs in different ways - see attached screen shot especially the bit I've highlighted. IE has the concept of "Tab Groups" and maybe FF does too?? 

TBH - if it works like that and you like it as you suggest you do  - happy days! :D

I favour Chrome browser and I too use Adblock Plus and I use ScriptSafe too - both switched off on TV at present.

IE settings.JPG

2 hours ago, VBF said:

@JetsetBkk

Well if you get odd issues / behaviour when browsing , always Close / Reopen browser. and try again!  I also recommend running CCleaner to clear caches etc.

I'm not sure it's a problem at your end - more like expected behaviour. As i say, i'm not familiar with FF which is why I cannot even try it but certainly in IE you can set it to open tabs in different ways - see attached screen shot especially the bit I've highlighted. IE has the concept of "Tab Groups" and maybe FF does too?? 

TBH - if it works like that and you like it as you suggest you do  - happy days! :D

I favour Chrome browser and I too use Adblock Plus and I use ScriptSafe too - both switched off on TV at present.

IE settings.JPG

In Firefox I have all links, bookmarks, etc set to open in new tabs - and they do, now. I have only pop-ups allowed to open in a new window.

But now I'm back to plain black rectangles for videos, no ability to view or play them, no matter how many times I restart or shutdown and start Firefox.

Youtube works OK.  I just popped over to another Thai web site (that we are not allowed to mention) and its embedded videos work fine. So I'm going to put this one down to @Tech Doctor and the site rebuild/resource limitations.

21 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

In Firefox I have all links, bookmarks, etc set to open in new tabs - and they do, now. I have only pop-ups allowed to open in a new window.

But now I'm back to plain black rectangles for videos, no ability to view or play them, no matter how many times I restart or shutdown and start Firefox.

Youtube works OK.  I just popped over to another Thai web site (that we are not allowed to mention) and its embedded videos work fine. So I'm going to put this one down to @Tech Doctor and the site rebuild/resource limitations.

Just out of interest........ Have you got another browser installed on your PC Or another PC with the same FF browser?

If so, you could try doing the same thing simultaneously on 2 browsers / PCs and seeing if you get the same results.

That may help you and provide some clues if there are issues on the site.   Th old "process of elimination" still helps hugely.

57 minutes ago, VBF said:
1 hour ago, JetsetBkk said:

Just out of interest........ Have you got another browser installed on your PC Or another PC with the same FF browser?

If so, you could try doing the same thing simultaneously on 2 browsers / PCs and seeing if you get the same results.

That may help you and provide some clues if there are issues on the site.   Th old "process of elimination" still helps hugely.

As we say in the UK... OK, clever clogs! :D  Looks like my Firefox profile has got its knickers in a twist. default_facepalm.gif

Yes, I have a laptop and a netbook - both show the videos OK.

I also have Chrome and IE on my desktop - they both show the videos, although IE doesn't show the text before the video in this post:

- but let's not worry about that!!

I also created a fresh, empty profile in Firefox, and the videos show! So my regular profile is, well, basically, buggered. Where have I heard that before?

So thanks for making me think a bit more logically and I will now have to ditch my regular profile and start adding all the add-ons to a new one. Or I suppose I could start disabling half the add-ons and see whether the problem goes, and if not disable half of what's left, etc, etc.   default_rolleyes.gif

Thanks again - if I find the culprit, I'll report back.

2 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

As we say in the UK... OK, clever clogs! :D  Looks like my Firefox profile has got its knickers in a twist. default_facepalm.gif

I also have Chrome and IE on my desktop - they both show the videos, although IE doesn't show the text before the video in this post:

I also created a fresh, empty profile in Firefox, and the videos show! So my regular profile is, well, basically, buggered. Where have I heard that before?

So thanks for making me think a bit more logically and I will now have to ditch my regular profile and start adding all the add-ons to a new one. Or I suppose I could start disabling half the add-ons and see whether the problem goes, and if not disable half of what's left, etc, etc.   default_rolleyes.gif

Happy to help - it's often easier to see from afar than when you've been staring at the problem for hours.

I'm going to assume that disabling add-ons in FF is as easy as it is in Chrome (one click)

If that's the case,, i would disable all the add-ons in the OLD profile, run CCleaner, reboot the PC, then try it. If it works, you then know that your profile is basically sound and you can add the add-ons one or two at a time until it fails again. And if it still works....you've cracked it!

Sometimes just uninstalling and reinstalling "stuff" fixes problems. And sometimes a re-boot is what actually implements what you thought you'd done anyway.

22 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Hmmph, I guess the overly nested quotes are not back and the nested quotes were just a copy&paste of previous discussions by jetset. 

23 minutes ago, oilinki said:
47 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Hmmph, I guess the overly nested quotes are not back and the nested quotes were just a copy&paste of previous discussions by jetset. 

Indeed. If you select from the bottom of a post and drag the mouse all the way to the top but stopping before highlighting the "Posted x hours ago", you can click on a "Quote this" link and get the entire contents of the post quoted.  :)

49 minutes ago, VBF said:

Happy to help - it's often easier to see from afar than when you've been staring at the problem for hours.

I'm going to assume that disabling add-ons in FF is as easy as it is in Chrome (one click)

If that's the case,, i would disable all the add-ons in the OLD profile, run CCleaner, reboot the PC, then try it. If it works, you then know that your profile is basically sound and you can add the add-ons one or two at a time until it fails again. And if it still works....you've cracked it!

Sometimes just uninstalling and reinstalling "stuff" fixes problems. And sometimes a re-boot is what actually implements what you thought you'd done anyway.

It looks like I've found the culprit already!:  "Bitdefender Quickscan"

I had to disable various add-ons in turn and delete the browser cache (because it appeared to affect the results of the test) and see if the video appeared when the add-on was disabled, and disappeared when it was enabled again.

I was very lucky that it started with a "B" as I have 94 add-ons enabled (now 93), so I'm glad it wasn't "User Agent Switcher" or "Youtube Button".  :D

3 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

It looks like I've found the culprit already!:  "Bitdefender Quickscan"

I had to disable various add-ons in turn and delete the browser cache (because it appeared to affect the results of the test) and see if the video appeared when the add-on was disabled, and disappeared when it was enabled again.

I was very lucky that it started with a "B" as I have 94 add-ons enabled (now 93), so I'm glad it wasn't "User Agent Switcher" or "Youtube Button".  :D

And as we also say in the UK (yes, me too) "Get in there, my son!" :thumbsup:

Indeed. If you select from the bottom of a post and drag the mouse all the way to the top but stopping before highlighting the "Posted x hours ago", you can click on a "Quote this" link and get the entire contents of the post quoted.  :)

While you know how to do this, please keep it as your own knowledge. Think it as the way to improve your own replies, just like using the swear words. It's not for all and it's not for all the time. The replies with 100 lines of nested quoted texts with 2 lines of input are annoying and are not worth to read. 

If that style of quoting starts to happen again, I'll start giving: "Yes" or "No" replies to the lengthy quoted texts, until the forum is forced to disable the possibility of nested and overly long quotes. 

12 minutes ago, oilinki said:

While you know how to do this, please keep it as your own knowledge. Think it as the way to improve your own replies, just like using the swear words. It's not for all and it's not for all the time. The replies with 100 lines of nested quoted texts with 2 lines of input are annoying and are not worth to read. 

If that style of quoting starts to happen again, I'll start giving: "Yes" or "No" replies to the lengthy quoted texts, until the forum is forced to disable the possibility of nested and overly long quotes. 

You and I totally disagree on this subject. Unless you are reading this forum using a teletype and printing out reams of paper, I see no reason not to keep the context of a conversation in place. It's only bits and bytes flowing down your screen - your mouse does have a scroll button?

Look at this post from Lannig: he's quoting Maestro, but what "useful information" is Maestro referring to? Whatever Maestro was quoting is gone because of the "one quote" rule. So it breaks up the conversations into tiny snippets that cannot be easily followed.

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 1:51 PM, Lannig said:
On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 2:31 AM, Maestro said:

That's very useful information. I was thinking when reading an earlier post that simply turning down the monitor's general brightness is not very helpful if it then has to be turned up again when switching to another site. Your idea is the solution, at least for Chrome users.

<snip>

Based on a previous advice, I do use the "Care your Eyes" extension on this forum now, but the overall result, although less an injury to my eyes, is really ugly with large frames of white around topics and other screen elements. Yes, it makes the site (almost) bearable but it's still an eyesore which has driven me to visit much less often.

<snip>

People who need to keep the conversation intact will learn how to do it. I have already said that there can still be a limit on the number of nested quotes and I hope when the major upgrade is complete such a limit will be implemented.

4 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

You and I totally disagree on this subject. Unless you are reading this forum using a teletype and printing out reams of paper, I see no reason not to keep the context of a conversation in place. It's only bits and bytes flowing down your screen - your mouse does have a scroll button?

Look at this post from Lannig: he's quoting Maestro, but what "useful information" is Maestro referring to? Whatever Maestro was quoting is gone because of the "one quote" rule. So it breaks up the conversations into tiny snippets that cannot be easily followed.

People who need to keep the conversation intact will learn how to do it. I have already said that there can still be a limit on the number of nested quotes and I hope when the major upgrade is complete such a limit will be implemented.

Yes.

On 9/1/2016 at 7:16 PM, SoiBiker said:

The 'Content I Posted In' option from the Activity menu no longer works. (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/discover/content-posted/). I had it set as my default view so I thought the forum was down for quite a while until I figured out what was happening!

Ditto on that for me. Began failing just in the past several days. Still failing now.

Most of the time right now, my Content I Posted In option doesn't load at all, no matter how long I wait and let it say "connecting."

13 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

By "Quote this" link, do you mean the "Quote" link to the right of the + button? That's not working for me :-(

12 hours ago, Chicog said:

Great stuff, thanks very much for the tip and I'll post it in the other thread.

Much appreciated.

@Chicog

You're welcome, but not sure what you meant - the link I posted is actually part of this thread anyway, so possibly better not to repost it, rather refer to the existing link. Does that make sense?

Hi

You are still getting sporadic load changes. hmm we made a change last night to db server to give us more throughput in i/o plus more memory. 

we are working on webserver next weekend so let's see how it goes this week then next week. 

Thank you for the feedback.

TD

5 hours ago, Oxx said:
18 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

By "Quote this" link, do you mean the "Quote" link to the right of the + button? That's not working for me :-(

No, not the Quote link at the bottom of the post.

When I release the left mouse button (after selecting the entire post), a "Quote this" link appears, usually near the top left of the selected text:

Quote this Screenshot 16-09-03 17-42-54.jpg

Click on that, and the entire post appears in the reply box. :)

2 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:
7 hours ago, Oxx said:
21 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

No, not the Quote link at the bottom of the post.

When I release the left mouse button (after selecting the entire post), a "Quote this" link appears, usually near the top left of the selected text:

Like Jetset Bkk said:  High lite all the text you want, release the button and a "quote button" appears. It is really easy .

Sometimes the drop-down menu on the right doesn't appear if I have selected " My activity streams".

After reloading the page it is there again. But if I select  "content I posted in" it still doesn't work. 

Most of the time it `times out` or sometimes the page shows just before doing that. 

Setting the typeface for posts doesn't work.  For example, this table in the following post should be Courier New.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/940975-population-statistics/#comment-11114345

In the HTML the span is being styled correctly as

<span style="font-family:'courier new', courier, monospace;"

However, it's being overridden by some shoddy CSS, specifically:

.ipsType_richText span {
    font-family: 'Roboto', sans-serif !important;
}

in http://assets.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/css_built_1/258adbb6e4f3e83cd3b355f84e3fa002_custom.css.36bc04a3d92c44f742fb1a50595fb2fa.css.gz?v=c0aa871069

Archived