Pattaya going downhill!

pepi2005

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Pity the city can't fix the pavements, sort the traffic, turn on the pedestrian crossing lights, demolish or fix the marina, use empty land to make parks and concert venues, reduce the number of baht buses, pedestrianize Beach Rd after dark, remove the speedboats on the road to the lighthouse, renovate Bali Hi and make project owners either finish or demolish the derelict structures all over the place.

If they did that, Pattaya might be "moving ahead". New restaurants and hotels/ condos are all very well, but the public areas have not been improved or fixed in over 20 years ( the new beach promenade is not better. The previous version was better, though not as good as the version prior to that ).

:coffee1:

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Confirmation (if any was needed) that the traditional 'high season' did actually die in 2007.

No, we can find the same whinges, claims of low tourist numbers, and dire predictions by the disgruntled at least 10 years earlier. With of course the same urban planning:

There are two types of articles appearing in the Pattaya Mail with regularity: those where business and political leaders decry the decline in tourism and propose ways to improve the situation; and a steadily increasing number of reports of tourists being insulted, assaulted, drugged, robbed and extorted. . . . Pattaya is being inundated with rude obnoxious thugs who do not care about the city or its visitors. . . .

Promoting fresh sea breezes does not change the fact that during the high season trash, brush, and entire fields are set afire on a daily basis by every idiot with a pack of matches in their pocket. Promising pristine beaches does not change the fact that the narrow, seven meter wide ribbon of sand is dirty, fronted by polluted water, and monopolized by chair vendors who gallantly leave the outlets of the street drains for those who do not wish to rent a chair. No directive that jeep and motorcycle renters are to be restricted to a limited number of vehicles prevents them from taking all available parking along Beach Road. No proposal to make Beach Road a pedestrian only zone after six p.m. prevents parking on both sides of the narrow artery or louts on motorcycles from speeding down what little space is left.

It doesn’t matter if the streets are cleared of garbage, no one is going to walk down them if doing so leaves them open to being insulted and assaulted. Having a beach promenade doesn’t matter if strolling along it means taking the risk of being knocked down and robbed. No one is going to participate in the vibrant night-life if there is a good chance that they will wake up three days later in the hospital with all their possessions gone, or in some cases, not wake up at all.They are driving away the tourists and the income and jobs that they bring. Inevitably, this rabble will win as they reduce everyone to their level of poverty. Meanwhile, tourism to Cambodia is increasing by 50% every six months...[emphasis mine]

Lawrence Neal, "Down on Pattaya," Pattaya Mail, Vol. V No. 5 Friday 31 January 1997 - 6 February 1997

It's merely the yearly ritual that so many need. I mean, somebody already got upset when I suggested we might not have one this year if we'd just call it "cool season" instead of "high." :smile: I wouldn't take it too seriously, or confirmation of anything other than that we have a large group of flatulent chronic complainers posting here on our beloved forum. Always a good laugh.

newhere.jpg

Edited by JSixpack

My respect and admiration for "sixpack" is increasing with every post.

- There is a man, investing his time in keeping track of the happenings in Pattaya, instead of wasting his time on frivolous things like playing golf, polo, visiting the pristine beaches and mongering in general. A pillar of strength and reason among the Farang community.

Cheers.

PS::)

13 hours ago, peeba7 said:

(when) Was it ever going uphill?

Assuming we are not suggesting that it should have been left as an undeveloped beach and fishing village, the uphill for me was up till the election of Thaksin and the downhill started with the subsequent devastation that Purachai committed on Pattaya.

So, to answer your question, yes, from when it was an undeveloped beach till the late 90s.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Assuming we are not suggesting that it should have been left as an undeveloped beach and fishing village, the uphill for me was up till the election of Thaksin and the downhill started with the subsequent devastation that Purachai committed on Pattaya.

So, to answer your question, yes, from when it was an undeveloped beach till the late 90s.

I also think it was going uphill until the late 90s.  The post-90s real-estate madness (which really took off around 2004) ruined the place, with a few exceptions (e.g. Central Festival Mall is a positive).  But unless you actually experienced Pattaya-Jomtien during the 90s and earlier, particularly the 80s, you can't grasp the fact that the place did start to die in the late 90s.  We will never see those great days again.  Of course, most people who are heavily invested in real estate in the area are unable to accept this fact.  The city is still here.  What has DIED is a Pattaya-Jomtien that was far better than the one we see today.

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:41 PM, JSixpack said:

Love the continuing assertion of economic prescience shown in that classic milestone of prophecy:

Central World is going to fail, just like The Avenues. Anyone stupid enough to build a place that charges Bangkok prices in a small tourist resort town deserves to go bankrupt.

--thaibeachlovers, on 2009-05-29 19:01:26

So, seems to be merely a cantankerous inability to accept the truth--and an obsessive but futile hunt for "signs" that old prophecy is finally gon' come true. A hammer always just finds nails, after all.

Now the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET), digesting the news that the entire city of Pattaya had died once again (2009: Pattaya Is Dead Dead Dead), must have reeled to learn that a prominent TVF economic expert had prophesied an upcoming 5-billion-baht loss to CPN. Would the selloff in CPN shares bring down the entire market with it?

Well . . . no. :smile:

CPN shares ended up the following week at 9.40, up 7% from the previous week! Ironically, if our doomsters themselves had faced reality, ended the silly chants, and invested a million baht in CPN shares then, they'd be worth over 4 million by the end of 2015. 'Twould end the need to whinge about bar fine increases & room rate increases on Soi Buakhao, right?

So, no, of course the stalls in front of CentralFestival don't mean a thing w/ regard to Central's economic success. In fact the North Pattaya Big C had stalls even during Pattaya's heyday when the quality tourists, i.e., the "naughty mongers," the economic powerhouses behind Pattaya's now-vanished prosperity, the great jobs creators, the golden eggs layers, were in force--before they were "put off" and all left for the paradise of Cambodia, leaving the ruins behind. Stalls do attract shoppers, including tourists. Thais like them; different culture.

I can affirm from a few recent visits that the stalls don't cause any difficulty whatsoever in getting into CentralFestival and that there were a remarkable number of holograms looking like shoppers in there--in fact, the most I've ever seen at this time of year. The next TVF economic rule invoked will be the Looking Not Buying rule. :) It presupposes there must be lines at every cashier in every shop at all times, to satisfy the My Eyeballs At A Random Interval rule. But the latter rule isn't met at any mall. Could there be something goin' on our TVF economists don't know about? I mean, according to NanLaew,

OMG. Fools! More folly! Don't they know? Don't they read?

Well, maybe they do. I think what must be happening is that the CEOs read these TVF doom threads and think, "What idiots. This means Pattaya's going uphill; good time to build and invest!" :)

An invocation of the TVF No Change rule! (Yeah after all these I know them all well.) Change just discombobulates our OAPs especially.

The stalls haven't invaded. They're welcome, bringing in more revenue, and creating some jobs. Who knows how long they'll stay.

Our economists do hold that boutique, rather high-end shops should be as crowded as restaurants and cinemas. :) Total ignorance.

Rather than completely useless subjective measures, use the standard. You see, whenever you visit, you don't notice any significant shops vacant. If you had, you'd have immediately seized upon it as a Sign! As there are 370 shops in the mall, you'd need to find 37 closed up to make the credible case of impending doom you long for. In one of the richest, continually successful (since the 1950s) suburban malls in the USA, a few shops are always vacant. I think none remains of the original shops at the opening. Nor in that mall during the week do you see many shoppers. No shoppers have ever been seen in CentralFestival. ;)

And you might look at some financial reports for CPN such as here: http://cpn.listedcompany.com/financial_highlights.html to find the shock (the stalls!!!) that actually CPN is doing well for itself recently:

Period       Y/E '15 Q3 '16
as of   31/12/2015 30/09/2016
ROA(%)   10.37 11.23
ROE(%)   18.12 19.03
Net Profit Margin(%)   29.6 31.3

You can find further actual numbers on the detailed reports and find some positive CPN Pattaya figures. Share price, BTW, despite the doom of Pattaya, is up 16% this years. :) Yeah I know: Enron! Gotta love TVF economics. Just In Case Fallacy

Over the last 20 years we've heard every possible variation on basically the same kinds of bashes followed by predictions, or confirmations, of a farang exodus and inevitable doom. All these death proclamations and prophecies of doom mean is that prophet is himself disappointed and wishes something would die—as is admitted here, after vainly anticipating for 7 years the rich justice to be wreaked on the "stupid" by the fulfillment of the Prophecy of 2009:

I say I hope Central fails, because if it does, no other big company will build in Pattaya.
     —thaibeachlovers, 2016-01-04 05:15

Wishin' and hopin'

And thinkin' and prayin' . . .

Ain't that an old song by Dusty Springfield? So the search for the evidence--the evidence that must be there somewhere--continues. Enjoy!

I don't want to rain on your parade, but no doubt you would be aware that in 2014 Central bought or opened businesses in Indonesia, Vietnam and Malaysia, hence the jump in the 2016 figures. Indeed, Central are diversifying overseas in an effort to offset the moribund Thailand economy.

And in more localised news, my favourite bar in the  Rompho bar complex will be closing in about 3 months due to a lack of customers. And several more to follow methinks.

Just now, yaagjon said:

I don't want to rain on your parade, but no doubt you would be aware that in 2014 Central bought or opened businesses in Indonesia, Vietnam and Malaysia, hence the jump in the 2016 figures. Indeed, Central are diversifying overseas in an effort to offset the moribund Thailand economy.

You came up dry, pal. The financial reports cited are only for the Thai corporate entitities. Moreover, after the ups and downs of 2015 the last quarterly report of that year--more than a year after the coup--gives much credit to Pattaya's contribution in particular to the bottom line:

Improved performance of existing projects e.g. at CentralWorld, CentralPlaza Lardprao, CentralPlaza Pattaya Beach, etc., supported by spending from foreign tourists mainly from China and Korea during their summer travel season. . . . On a q-o-q basis, revenues from hotel operation increased by 6% thanks mainly to higher occupancy and room rate at Hilton Pattaya Beach Hotel with occupancy high at 92% in the third quarter, enhancing RevPar up 4% q-o-q as a result of an increasing number of Chinese and Korean tourist visits during their travel season in July-August. . . . continuing growth in hotel business with higher occupancy in this quarter on the back of increasing number of foreign tourists visiting Hilton Pattaya Beach Hotel. . . . However, the food court at CentralFestival Pattaya Beach experienced revenue growth, driven by higher traffic from tourist visits in the third quarter.

Central Pattana PCL, Performance Overview: Overall economic condition in 3Q15

And of course the figures jumped before 2016--I refer all the back to 2009--reaching a peak in 2013 no doubt propelled by the epic Promenade doom thread, a bullish sign. ;)Obviously, CPN as a whole is but a proxy yet Pattaya is a substantial piece of the whole and the figures in the reports, where it's specifically referenced, offer positive indication. As a fallback, as I noted, you may merely check the vacancy rate in the mall. A similar share price pattern can be seen, at a glance, with Big C. As you know of course, when Big C Extra took over Carrefour, our doomsayers immediately prophesied it would also fail, citing at east four of our TVF rules: the No Need, Only One, Already Have, and Fixed Pie rules. Oh, the teeth gnashing, the knickers twisting, the bed wetting. Members quickly applied the infallible Eyeballs At A Random Interval measure to confirm that nobody was shopping there!  Few cashiers open, cashiers standing around, blah, blah. They've gone strangely silent on Big C Extra. We still have a few fixated on the mall, however. Maybe it's those higher-end shops or maybe it's the displacement of a few beer bars. ;)

Friend of mine paid another visit to the mall on Friday and affirmed again that it's doing great business. Having visited the food court this year and last year, I think it's doing even better this year.

As an aside I'll point out that if businesses are doing poorly where they are then they don't have the capital to diversify elsewhere. When they're successful where they are, they have the means to expand to other countries as well. Cf. Starbucks' expansion (now making a big play in China). Oh, there are nitpicks and caveats and footnotes to this general principle but I don't see much point in debating. ;)

Edited by JSixpack

Clearly the opening of Hooters as well as Central Festival are 100% proof of Pattaya's relentless decline in the 4 months that I have been away. It used to be raining lovely women along the Beach Road but now I can't walk down there for the attack waves of rats running out from the sand while at the same time being descended upon by packs of aggressive ladyboys. I don't know how many more decades I can put up with this.

On Sunday, September 04, 2016 at 9:30 PM, OMGImInPattaya said:

Sorry to rain on the "downhill" brigade but I had a chance to pop into the new Chocolate Factory restaurant cum chocolatier in the Pratumnak area tonite and the place was buzzing. For those who don't know, it's an upscale waterside farang/Thai bistro, with an onsite Belgium chocolate factory.  There are large indoor and outdoor terrace seating areas; and an in-house retail chocolate shop (individual bite sized truffles ranging from 30-40 baht a piece). 

I'd say the crowd was 50% Thais...20% Asian tourists...and maybe 30% farangs (tourists/locals). So there's still plenty of money around and Pattaya is still attracting crowds...maybe just not so many of the soi Bua Khow/LK Metro types.

You say it has farang customers but I note their signage is mainly Thai and interestingly no Russian Signage unlike the rest of that dreadful soi katsesin/AKA soi cosy beach/ AKA soi gulag. As well a broke Russians wandering around and the usual Chinese non spenders it has gangs of Arabs making a bottle of water last three packets of cigarettes. Lets not talk about the hundreds if not thousands of empty condo units and empty hotel rooms. If this dismal drab area is on the up and up then i despair.

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 11:10 PM, rgs2001uk said:

Reading some of the replies I wonder how many have actually visited Pattaya never mind Thailand.

I was there the other week and had a great time, the place rawked, cocktails on the rooftop of The Hilton (for peanuts, they even threw in some free peanuts)

Off to live music bars, beers for 50/60baht, hassle free service, wasnt pestered by Cola Hounds.

Golf, cheap as chips, farang food in bucket loads.

Pattaya moves onwards and upwards.

And the Siam Siam rooftop bar and the all nude go gos-real ale - pretty girls with 500 bar fines- the very slow resurgence of good music-a fantastic selection of brilliant restaurants of all price ranges- a permanent street carnival- a shoppers paradise- jungle and mountains nearby- beautiful temples and buddhas - real thai markets and street food- all kinds of hotels- loads of different mini areas with energy-laughter and lights- good BJ bars-day time g clubs...So the place has changed? But theres still plenty of fun to be had for people of all ages.

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 9:07 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

If Central is doing so well, why would they allow so many stalls to swamp the front of the store to the extent that it is difficult for people to move through them?

That is not what a mall with a good income would be doing.

Central has been open for many years, but the invasion of the stalls is new.

As usual, whenever I visited, the restaurants and cinema doing well, but the majority of shops not so much.

Its part of their civic and moral duty to allow poorer Thai traders to have a market there because they cannot afford the high rents inside. Its great to see a real street market next to a mega mall. I and many others love it. If you dont like street markets you are in the wrong country.  

On Tuesday, August 09, 2016 at 6:10 PM, moonseeker said:

+ 1

I guess, who has not witnessed the good & fun years here until about 8 years ago, when everything slowly started to get worse and worse, has nothing to compare the Pattaya-today to the good old times. Just open your eyes and see all the shops closed, buildings decaying, garbage and horrible smells everywhere, not even talking about the now officially "Most happy people/country" in the world.

Gottabekidding...55555555555555

A collection of low-class tourists and cheap-charlie residents of the worst kind. Well, I am told by a friend to be more tolerant and let these old folks have their fun, so I better stop my rant and keep surfing the net for alternative destinations......MS>

Surf away- you wont find a more fun place whatever your age. But do let us know what you come up with.

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 2:38 AM, Flanno said:

I think Pattaya is moving in the right direction if it means that the hard core sex tourists like OP are not happy and going elsewhere. Pattaya is still a fun place with something for everyone and it's great to see more families and couples holidaying here. I spend a lot of time here and enjoy the bar scene but can do without the blatant sleaze which used to be the norm. So my suggestion to OP is to go where you may be happy and spread the word to your kind that Pattaya has changed.

It has not changed that much if you know where to look- theres still a great sex scene here

8 hours ago, JSixpack said:

You came up dry, pal. The financial reports cited are only for the Thai corporate entitities. Moreover, after the ups and downs of 2015 the last quarterly report of that year--more than a year after the coup--gives much credit to Pattaya's contribution in particular to the bottom line:

Improved performance of existing projects e.g. at CentralWorld, CentralPlaza Lardprao, CentralPlaza Pattaya Beach, etc., supported by spending from foreign tourists mainly from China and Korea during their summer travel season. . . . On a q-o-q basis, revenues from hotel operation increased by 6% thanks mainly to higher occupancy and room rate at Hilton Pattaya Beach Hotel with occupancy high at 92% in the third quarter, enhancing RevPar up 4% q-o-q as a result of an increasing number of Chinese and Korean tourist visits during their travel season in July-August. . . . continuing growth in hotel business with higher occupancy in this quarter on the back of increasing number of foreign tourists visiting Hilton Pattaya Beach Hotel. . . . However, the food court at CentralFestival Pattaya Beach experienced revenue growth, driven by higher traffic from tourist visits in the third quarter.

Central Pattana PCL, Performance Overview: Overall economic condition in 3Q15

And of course the figures jumped before 2016--I refer all the back to 2009--reaching a peak in 2013 no doubt propelled by the epic Promenade doom thread, a bullish sign. ;)Obviously, CPN as a whole is but a proxy yet Pattaya is a substantial piece of the whole and the figures in the reports, where it's specifically referenced, offer positive indication. As a fallback, as I noted, you may merely check the vacancy rate in the mall. A similar share price pattern can be seen, at a glance, with Big C. As you know of course, when Big C Extra took over Carrefour, our doomsayers immediately prophesied it would also fail, citing at east four of our TVF rules: the No Need, Only One, Already Have, and Fixed Pie rules. Oh, the teeth gnashing, the knickers twisting, the bed wetting. Members quickly applied the infallible Eyeballs At A Random Interval measure to confirm that nobody was shopping there!  Few cashiers open, cashiers standing around, blah, blah. They've gone strangely silent on Big C Extra. We still have a few fixated on the mall, however. Maybe it's those higher-end shops or maybe it's the displacement of a few beer bars. ;)

Friend of mine paid another visit to the mall on Friday and affirmed again that it's doing great business. Having visited the food court this year and last year, I think it's doing even better this year.

As an aside I'll point out that if businesses are doing poorly where they are then they don't have the capital to diversify elsewhere. When they're successful where they are, they have the means to expand to other countries as well. Cf. Starbucks' expansion (now making a big play in China). Oh, there are nitpicks and caveats and footnotes to this general principle but I don't see much point in debating. ;)

These numbers frankly don't mean nothing since "going down" is a perception or an opinion based on human view of "quality of life" in a city.

In any city:

if the streets flood with rain water with high percentage of sewer/bacteria every time it rains (and it rains almost daily many months)

and that junk pours down into the very beach you are supposed to swim,

and if side-walks are legally(!) or illegally occupied by kiosks,stalls,tables and you have no choice other than stepping  into insane traffic,

if you notice hundreds of rodents among trash while taking an afternoon stroll down your favorite beachfront,

You can take your financial figures and your mile-long posts and multiply by ten and you will still not be able to convince anyone that Pattaya is going uphill !

3 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

These numbers frankly don't mean nothing since "going down" is a perception or an opinion based on human view of "quality of life" in a city.

In any city:

if the streets flood with rain water with high percentage of sewer/bacteria every time it rains (and it rains almost daily many months)

and if side-walks are legally(!) or illegally occupied by kiosks,stalls,tables and you have no choice other than stepping  into insane traffic,

if you notice hundreds of rodents among trash while taking an afternoon stroll down your favorite beachfront,

You can take your financial figures and your mile-long posts and multiply by ten and you will still not be able to convince anyone that Pattaya is going uphill !

You seem a tad sensitive. Ever done any real travelling? You also seem inured to the truth. You exagerate about conditions here. Its not how most visitors perceive Pattaya nor do we who live here. If we did we would like. I dont mean to be rude but you appear to be suffering from a form of depression. 

12 minutes ago, The manic said:

You seem a tad sensitive. Ever done any real travelling? You also seem inured to the truth. You exagerate about conditions here. Its not how most visitors perceive Pattaya nor do we who live here. If we did we would like. I dont mean to be rude but you appear to be suffering from a form of depression. 

Manic, your last sentence/comment is off-topic but you are entitled your opinion and it's fine..

If you have noticed, I used the word "perception" and yours may differ and it's quite fine.

I barely scratched the surface btw.

I wish I was wrong with the negative parts of Pattaya.

I do enjoy nightlife, bars,restaurants, women etc. in pattaya  and definitely do travel 5-6 months out of the year in North, South America, Eastern Europe and Asia.

Edited by pattayadude

7 hours ago, pattayadude said:

In your haste to get in your bash, you've misperceived the points that the numbers addressed. Yawn.

Oh, I addressed all your shopworn concerns more than two years ago. Here's a rehash for you I did for moonseeker back on Aug. 9: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/936844-pattaya-going-downhill/#comment-11035919. Nor have I the slightest interest in convincing you of anything. ;) In fact, nobody ever changes his mind about anything here. But it's enjoyable to have a laugh at some of the nonsense and sly bigotry. Also, we have noobs reading who might be able to keep an open mind when coming to PTY for the first time or not long thereafter anyway. We've had one such member posting earlier. :)

Edited by JSixpack

16 hours ago, newnative said:

Your favorite bar closing for lack of customers is an indication that simply way too many bars opened in the past few years for the number of customers that has perhaps remained steady and good old supply and demand is sorting things out. 

As I have pointed out many times for at least 7 years on TVF there have been too many bars in Pattaya for the number of customers for a long time. Probably since 2000 or late 90s. The remains of one very large failed complex from the 90s have only just been removed from behind what used to be the "Made in Thailand" market.

8 hours ago, pattayadude said:

In any city:

I wouldn't bother trying to convince a certain poster, as either he is just having fun baiting us, or he actually believes Pattaya doesn't need fixing.

Yes, Pattaya IS going downhill. It could be fixed if competent administrators were put in place, but I'm not holding my breath.

BTW. Thanks for the photos. First time I saw Beach Rd flood like it does now I laughed. They spent how many millions on that atrocity of a walkway, and couldn't put decent drains in?

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wouldn't bother trying to convince a certain poster, as either he is just having fun baiting us, or he actually believes Pattaya doesn't need fixing.

Yes, Pattaya IS going downhill. It could be fixed if competent administrators were put in place, but I'm not holding my breath.

BTW. Thanks for the photos. First time I saw Beach Rd flood like it does now I laughed. They spent how many millions on that atrocity of a walkway, and couldn't put decent drains in?

YW.

Yes photos do tell the truth!

It never used to flood as often or at this magnitude before.

What we are doing has nothing to do with bashing a city.

On the contrary, I hope our criticism and the messages reaches out somehow and hopefully  they  try to fix some of the issues as much as they can so once again this rare city can retrieve most of it's old glory it deserves!

11 minutes ago, newnative said:

That photo of a trash-filled beach--the one looking towards Naklua/Wongamat--is not a recent one judging by the buildings in the background.  Guess it was taken in 'the good old days'.

yes that's a 2008 photo...

and the attached is May 2016...

Nothing new...

trash1.JPG

8 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

YW.

Yes photos do tell the truth!

It never used to flood as often or at this magnitude before.

What we are doing has nothing to do with bashing a city.

On the contrary, I hope our criticism and the messages reaches out somehow and hopefully  they  try to fix some of the issues as much as they can so once again this rare city can retrieve most of it's old glory it deserves!

Ooooooops, a reality check for "a certain poster" who is without question invested in real estate and cannot accept a different point of view.  No point in even reading or responding to the long, boring, infantile and misleading posts he constructs.