Trash Hero Phuket is here!

hitthegroundrunning

Ladies and gentlemen, it's official: Trash Hero Phuket is here! 

Our first clean is at Bang Tao Beach, meeting at Best Western Hotel, on Saturday 27th. This has been kindly sponsored by The Tourism Authority Thailand who are providing 100 free Trash Hero Phuket t-shirts.

There will also be a free yoga session before the clean and beach games after. 

Drinking water and fruit provided throughout.

No equipment needed, just bring yourself and some sun lotion. :)

See poster below for more details. 

Let's begin!

Facebook.com/TrashHeroPhuket

Phuket Clean Up Poster-page-001.jpg

While I support the initiative, wouldn't it be more effective to go after the cause of the problem instead of the effects?

Maybe put down some trashcans on the beach, and have them emptied daily/weekly?

Maybe put up more signs explaining how long it takes for a plastic bag to disappear in nature? (seen these signs at other parks and public places)

Maybe ask assistance of local law enforcement to actually write out some fines to whoever pollutes (hahaha, sorry, I know police does not go outside and work unless forced)

Everything you clean up now will be back next week.

3 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

While I support the initiative, wouldn't it be more effective to go after the cause of the problem instead of the effects?

Maybe put down some trashcans on the beach, and have them emptied daily/weekly?

Maybe put up more signs explaining how long it takes for a plastic bag to disappear in nature? (seen these signs at other parks and public places)

Maybe ask assistance of local law enforcement to actually write out some fines to whoever pollutes (hahaha, sorry, I know police does not go outside and work unless forced)

Everything you clean up now will be back next week.

The trash is from fishing boats.

The trash is from local rivers being washed by rain.

The trash is from 1,000 kms away.

Very little of the trash is from beach goers.

This guy is doing what he can do in a country that simply does not care.

Just now, ClutchClark said:

I see plenty of trask along Kata beach, especially in the evening when locals eat and drink and just throw away their trash.

Bins would be a big help, but were removed years ago for security reasons Yet plenty bins appear on every event day. Just no consistancy.

2 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I see plenty of trask along Kata beach, especially in the evening when locals eat and drink and just throw away their trash.

Bins would be a big help, but were removed years ago for security reasons Yet plenty bins appear on every event day. Just no consistancy.

But a much larger percentage of trash is generated elsewhere.

It's the one thing that pi$$es me off here.

Piles of crap everywhere, and they only get larger.

Amazed no one simply bags it up so the trash men can just pick it up.

They need to start in the schools, by teaching the kids to tidy up.

Then they can move onto re-cycling.

Seeing half eaten polystyrene bowls of food in the bins is so wasteful. 

Th e beaches in Vietnam are  clean! Every 100 meters or so, there are bamboo baskets, where people can dispose of their cans and waste. No one throws waste on the ground/ beach.There are also cleaning staff, walking around all day. I guess they are better educated there. Just take a look at the beaches on a Sunday or local holiday in Thailand after all the pick ups have gone home. Makes me so angry to see the rubbish piled up., That, and all the tuc tuc drivers and locals using the beaches as toilets, disgusting! I stay at my pool! 

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

the trash is from diving boats

the trash is from speed boats

the trash is from party boats

the trash is from a lot people on the beach just dont care to take it back.

1 hour ago, huuwi said:

the trash is from diving boats

the trash is from speed boats

the trash is from party boats

the trash is from a lot people on the beach just dont care to take it back.

Out of curiousity, have you ever actually picked up the trash?

I used to wake up at 4:30 and walk 5 kms of beach each morning and fill garbage bags. I used to split it into 3 bags: glass, plastic & general refuse.

i agree with what you are saying.

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

Out of curiousity, have you ever actually picked up the trash?

I used to wake up at 4:30 and walk 5 kms of beach each morning and fill garbage bags. I used to split it into 3 bags: glass, plastic & general refuse.

i agree with what you are saying.

we did clean ups on a regular base in the summer after people left our fishing lake.

you have to start here in school to teach the kids, otherwise you are running against windmills.

When you see fathers throwing trash  in front of their children, it becomes a cultural problem. 
Education is the key (along with bins or course)
Perhaps taking the school kids once a month on a trash pickup detail for an hour or so would help?

The parents aren't going to teach the kids not to litter. 
Perhaps the other way around is they key. 

The beaches is a good start. 

A beach cleanup is always good. I do it weekly here in Jomtien , I do it alone with the locals watching and think I am insane.  I know it will get dirty again after a few hours but I still do it , mainly because it's good exercise for the body .  

I have invested in a trash picker now so it's a lot easier to pick up trash without hurting your back . 

2 minutes ago, balo said:

A beach cleanup is always good. I do it weekly here in Jomtien , I do it alone with the locals watching and think I am insane.  I know it will get dirty again after a few hours but I still do it , mainly because it's good exercise for the body .  

I have invested in a trash picker now so it's a lot easier to pick up trash without hurting your back . 

I did it for exercise and a purpose.

Thai women would help when they saw me.

The surly beach tout males would sneer at me.

Those guys are dumber than trained monkeys. They never connected the dots their livelihoods depended on such things.

22 minutes ago, balo said:

I bought a couple of rubbish pickers from Oz. For local use and my annual pilgrimage to Ko Chang.

Lol.

My village had trashcans in an area for daily pickup

Took not long, trashcan were trashed or those not broken were turned over.

Trash area: Used for broken and tipped over trash cans

Outter Trash area(shop house's front yard) Used for village's garbage, thrown in tesco bags

About 20 times per day some dirty effer stops by to either throw his own bags while not living in the village or to open all the trashbag on the ground and look for treasures between soiled diapers and leftover sumtam.

Pretty sure this is what happens everywhere unless you have a locked container.

Trash Cans on the beach won't help, at least this way some people bring their garbage home.

It pains me to write it but... according to law you'd need a work permit to take part in this beach cleanup as a foreigner even though it's voluntary work. Just sayin'

I know immigration wont arrest anyone taking part in this great event but it's pretty crazy anyways.

51 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

It pains me to write it but... according to law you'd need a work permit

That is just a stupid remark. I do not need a permit to clean up my own house and washing my clothes, and I do not need a permit to clean up a public beach.  I do not work  , I pick up trash and I am sure any local will not come and arrest me or anyone else taking part in trash hero Phuket.  It's called common sense. 

1 hour ago, balo said:

That is just a stupid remark. I do not need a permit to clean up my own house and washing my clothes, and I do not need a permit to clean up a public beach.  I do not work  , I pick up trash and I am sure any local will not come and arrest me or anyone else taking part in trash hero Phuket.  It's called common sense. 

Is it so stupid? Or did you not read and understand my comment completely? I said "according to law" which I still believe to be true. I explicitly said that noone is gonna arrest you. But that's just because they use "common sense" to not enforce the law. But it's still a crazy situation.

13 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Maybe ask assistance of local law enforcement

default_cheesy.gif

13 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

default_rolleyes.gif

Hi all,

With regards to education, I totally agree...beach clean ups are just part of what we do. We also educate. 

It must be said, however, that Trash Hero have picked up an estimated 160 tonnes over the last 4 years in their respective chapters...and we are growing.

We are also going to clean a beach in Phuket 3 times a month. I'm sure it makes a little difference.

Our aim is to not have to exist anymore. :)

Trash Hero, as an organisation, educates as well as activates. This from our website (Trashhero.org):

The Trash Hero mission is to create sustainable, community-based projects that remove existing waste, and reduce future waste by inspiring long-term behaviour change. We do this through:

• Action and Awareness. We pick up trash. Whether a cigarette butt on the road, or 20,000 kilos from island beaches – if we see it, we clean it! And as they say, actions speak louder than words. By spending just a few hours together picking up trash, people can see the real world consequences of being careless about waste.
  • Education. We back up hands-on experience with educational information about the impact that trash has on the global environment.
  • Sustainable Projects. We create long-term projects that bring communities together to remove and better manage their waste, and strategies that reduce the amount of waste being produced in the future.
  • Inspiration. We motivate people to become Trash Heroes in their everyday lives. Trash Hero Thailand alum have gone home to make their own heroic clean-ups around the world. Click here to see their stories.

Trash Hero believes that every one of us can be a Trash Hero. Read more about our projects above, and join this global movement today.

Thanks, and see you on the 27th!

Hit The Ground Running

On 16/08/2016 at 2:06 AM, balo said:

It's a great initiative, but in a country where you need a work permit to perform volunteer work, sad to say, yes, you need a work permit. 

I don't have much faith in Thai "common sense." 

Archived