Scooter Advice

honkin

Howdy

OK, work permits have just been approved, so now to get some transport. Would appreciate some feedback as to model of scooter people have found reliable, had good performance etc.

I see lots of Honda Scoopys around and Yamaha Fino I think is another, but our Thai staff say both are not that great.

I also don't know whether to go new or second hand, so a heads up as to a best way to go would be great. If you happen to know any decent places to purchase, that'd be fantastic

Cheers in advance everyone

honkin

Why don't you buy a classic 125 cc Yamaha, or Honda for less money with a much higher reliability?

Our Yamaha "Best II" is now 15 years old, must have around 60 K on the clock and all we changed was the clutch, spark plug, chain and sprockets. Of course a few brake shoes and light bulbs. 

Here's a Yamaha Jupiter, seems to be a decent bike. I'm driving bikes now over 40 years, so i think I understand a little bit about the topic.

Cheers-

P.S. Please have a look at all the motorbike mechanic places and you'll mostly see scooters there that need a fix. A lot of shitty plastic on two wheels. 

New Jupiter Z1 Blue.png

Edited by lostinisaan

13 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

Why don't you buy a classic 125 cc Yamaha, or Honda for less money with a much higher reliability?

Our Yamaha "Best II" is now 15 years old, must have around 60 K on the clock and all we changed was the clutch, spark plug, chain and sprockets. Of course a few brake shoes and light bulbs. 

Here's a Yamaha Jupiter, seems to be a decent bike. I'm driving bikes now over 40 years, so i think I understand a little bit about the topic.

Cheers-

P.S. Please have a look at all the motorbike mechanic places and you'll mostly see scooters there that need a fix. A lot of shitty plastic on two wheels. 

15 years old and only 60k on the clock, no wonder you have not had to change much. You are averaging 4k a year or about 11km a day - hardly an arduous task. My Click is already 8 months old and has 5.5k on the clock and I have not changed anything, so by your reasoning the OP should buy a Click as they are super reliable and don't need anything changing.

1 hour ago, muzmurray said:

15 years old and only 60k on the clock, no wonder you have not had to change much. You are averaging 4k a year or about 11km a day - hardly an arduous task. My Click is already 8 months old and has 5.5k on the clock and I have not changed anything, so by your reasoning the OP should buy a Click as they are super reliable and don't need anything changing.

I was only taking our bike as an example. Please feel free to Google it and you'll find out how reliable scooters really are.

15 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

2 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

I was only taking our bike as an example. Please feel free to Google it and you'll find out how reliable scooters really are.

Confused?

Cheers everyone. Must be a scooter, unfortunately, so the Jupiter and Wave are out. My wife can't ride a manual bike and has no interest in learning.

Might check out the Click.

What about the Vespas over here, or are they too exxy?

cheers and thanks for your replies

22 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

Edited by honkin