buying a new car

romeijoe

2 hours ago, petermik said:

Wrong again,servicing is free for the first 3 years or 50,000 kms and what use is a car cover when mine is parked under a carport..........come back on here again when you have negotiated a deal on a new car and I,ll reply with similar juvenile comments  ;)

Oh, now you got 3 free years of service which I guess slipped your mind in the first post where you listed what you received for free. If you would have read my earlier post you would have seen that I did buy a new car. This is what I bought. Best of luck with your new car.

IMGP0017.JPG

10 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Oh, now you got 3 free years of service which I guess slipped your mind in the first post where you listed what you received for free. If you would have read my earlier post you would have seen that I did buy a new car. This is what I bought. Best of luck with your new car.

IMGP0017.JPG

Virtually every new car bought here comes with 3 years-or a fixed kms free servicing,I,m amazed that someone with your knowledge did not realise this earlier in my initial comment on here....I must apologise. You commented that my cash discount must have come at the expense of "extras"  and I listed 7 of around the 10 that we got,is there anything else that I may have missed that you would like to ask me about......feel free :thumbsup:

On 8/25/2016 at 6:52 PM, Johnniey said:

. Everytime I've taken my wife or even one of my kids it's been a nightmare. Go alone!

On 9/1/2016 at 11:27 AM, petermik said:

I took my TGF and she got me a 40,000 baht discount on a 529,000 baht Nissan..........she loves to haggle :D

20 hours ago, giddyup said:

Everybody gets a better deal than someone else, buys a better car, gets better fuel economy, has better safety features, etc, etc, etc.

giddyup

The deal offered to me on my new car was perfectly acceptable,in any of my comments have I mentioned getting a better deal than anyone else,no absolutely not.........I replied to this post following Johnniey,s  comment about going alone to the dealership,with my comment about how my TGF negotiated a good discount for me,only for that to be followed by "oh but by getting a discount you miss out on the freebies" my following replies were only to contradict that assumption,nothing to do with "I got a better deal than you" comments like this are for immature juveniles  :wai2:

On 9/2/2016 at 0:38 PM, Johnniey said:

Yeah, right, you can't get served in a car showroom because you are speaking to them in Thai. Do you realize how absurd that sounds? 

Perhaps someday, you and I.. Should visit the Honda showroom near my place. 

Speak to them in Thai and they look you from the toe to the head. 

Speak in English and their attitude change

8 hours ago, patyh said:

Perhaps someday, you and I.. Should visit the Honda showroom near my place. 

Speak to them in Thai and they look you from the toe to the head. 

Speak in English and their attitude change

So, when you are speaking Thai they think that you are Thai? Are they all visually impaired? Sorry, it's just too bizarre.

Edited by giddyup

14 hours ago, giddyup said:

So, when you are speaking Thai they think that you are Thai? Are they all visually impaired? Sorry, it's just too bizarre.

Ahhh I see the misunderstanding... You think I am a westerner... No.. I am not and I look Asian.. Since both my parents are Asian.. 

1 minute ago, patyh said:

Ahhh I see the misunderstanding... You think I am a westerner... No.. I am not and I look Asian.. Since both my parents are Asian.. 

So they aren't interested in selling a new car to a Thai speaking Asian only an English speaking falang? Oh, right, that makes more sense.:blink:

If buying new, buy one that they have there in stock.

If buying used, go to an official Toyota Sure.

In fact, go to a couple to get a feel for them. One dealer wanted 9k baht for the official registration etc. The next dealer had it worked out to 3,xxx baht. She was cute too.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

So they aren't interested in selling a new car to a Thai speaking Asian only an English speaking falang? Oh, right, that makes more sense.:blink:

As strange as it may seems.. I only get this problem when visiting this particular dealer.. All other dealers are fine.. Perhaps the reason why they got such a bad rep even for thai buyers who avoid this particular dealer like a pest.. The showroom is always empty.. Which is odd for a Honda Showroom. 

In my experience, new car discounts for cash deals do NOT exist. The finance commission must be pretty good. You are better off not mentioning cash. After getting the best deal and when you get to the part where you are asked how many years finance do you want, that is the time to tell them it will be a cash deal. It's amusing to see the look on their face.

17 hours ago, Gary A said:

In my experience, new car discounts for cash deals do NOT exist. The finance commission must be pretty good. You are better off not mentioning cash. After getting the best deal and when you get to the part where you are asked how many years finance do you want, that is the time to tell them it will be a cash deal. It's amusing to see the look on their face.

It seems a little more difficult to get, but depending on brand (Honda and Toyota are not very flexible in that). I have been offered a 100K discount on a new Hyundai Elantra Sport and got a 60K discount on a Mazda 2 diesel. With Mazda this discount also incl. the insurance and blabla....so I ended up with those freebies and 35K discount. Both companies were advised I would pay cash and I did with the Mazda 2.....so yes, it is possible, but they do prefer you go the finance option, so they can cash in a little commission on that as well.

• 2 months later...
On 25/8/2016 at 11:42 AM, Gary A said:

Farang and Thai owners as well as tent dealers can all be dodgy. The biggest danger is vehicles that have had a bad accident. Most body shops are artists and it is nearly impossible to detect bent and twisted bodies or frames. Keep in mind that any mechanical problems can be repaired or replaced and be like new.

You can get a decent second hand vehicle if you know the owner and know that the vehicle has never been wrecked. Late models should have a service book. If there is no up to date owners service book, walk away regardless of who the owner is. 

The best way is to buy new especially if you intend to keep it long term. You will forget the extra expense long before you can forget  problems you find with second hand. 

Agreed abut the importance of an up-to-date service manual. A chat with the head mechanic at the dealers shop (assuming that is where it was serviced) might provide some feedback on whether the vehicle has been in an accident. Of course, most Thais will not commit to saying anything. so you'd want to motivate the mechanic.  ;)