Powerful earthquake shakes central Myanmar 

Jonathan Fairfield

Powerful earthquake shakes central Myanmar 

myanmar.png

YANGON, Myanmar (AP) — A powerful earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.8 shook central Myanmar on Wednesday, knocking glasses off tables and sending people running out of buildings in the country's largest city.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake was centered about 25 kilometers (15 miles) west of Chauk, an area west of the ancient capital of Bagan. It was located fairly far below the Earth's surface at a depth of about 84 kilometers (52 miles), it said. Deep earthquakes generally cause less surface damage.

Worried residents of Yangon, the country's main city, rushed out of tall buildings, and objects toppled from tables and from Buddhist shrines in homes. However, there were no immediate reports of serious damage in the city.
USGS said some casualties and damage were possible, but the impact was likely to be fairly localized.

The quake was also felt in a half dozen states in neighboring India, where people rushed out of offices and homes at several places. It caused buildings to sway in Thailand's capital, Bangkok, several hundred kilometers (miles) to the east. There were no immediate reports of damage in either country.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-08-24

Myanmar quake shakes up Bangkok

By Khaosod English

QuakeChauk.jpg

Location of Wednesday's quake in Myanmar. Image: United States Geological Survey

BANGKOK — People in tall buildings in Bangkok took to social media to describe their surprise at feeling tremors from a powerful quake which struck Myanmar at about 5.30pm on Wednesday.

The U.S. Geological Survey put the quake’s magnitude at 6.8. The epicenter was approximately 25 kilometers from the north-central city of Chauk.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2016/08/24/myanmar-quake-shakes-bangkok/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-08-24

It's very good Bangkok isn't in directly any earthquake zone, wonder what would be "felt" if hits it's closer. Seems to be the high rise buildings move a lot just by an earthquake in Myanmar hundreds of km's far away. 

I remember had a Japanese neighbour oldtimer in Phuket who was working in the construction business of high rise buildings in Tokyo for decades and he told me if a big earthquake  would be able to hit Bangkok the lack of proper reinforcements probably would cause immediate collapse most of the high rise buildings.

I ain't no expert but I felt the same as some people today a few years ago on the 17th floor in Bangkok in a Sunday morning 8.30 I will always remember  it was really frightening due to the lack of options you have in case of an impending disaster. 

Luckily major earthquakes seems avoid Thailand but literally everywhere around is the ring of fire...

13043268_1095551910509391_6516874180917866205_n.jpg

I was having dinner with my wife at a Chinese restaurant on the eighth floor of EmQuartier when the quake started. Chandeliers were swinging back and forth, people were freaking out and heading for the exits.

I was more surprised by the panic exhibited by the people around me than the quake itself,  but I'm from Southern California, so I guess I'm a little jaded when it comes to earthquakes.

4 hours ago, balo said:

What about Chiang Mai , they should have felt it up there. 

I'm in Chiang Mai and I happened to be sitting in front of my computer at that time.  I felt, at least for me,  a mild swaying for less than a minute (maybe ten seconds or so).  In fact, my very first thought was whether I was experiencing some kind of weird dizziness.  It was that mild.  It ended rather quickly and I didn't notice anything alarming. 

It was clearly much less - again, at least to me - than the quake felt in CM that rocked Chiang Rai and caused some damage not that long ago.  For that previous one, it was clear to me right away that it was an earthquake and I was little concerned.

Edited by helpisgood

Major quake in Myanmar has no impact on Thailand

896_Quake-wpcf_728x409.jpg

YANGON: -- Athough a 6.8 magnitude earthquake in Myanmar yesterday did not inflict any casualties and damages in Thailand, but the major quake did alert seismological experts to keep watch on its aftershocks for a few more days while the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand assured all its major hydro electric dams remained strong and stable.

An EGAT offucial said the epicentre of the quake is over 600 kilometres from the Bhumibol dam.

The dam was inspected and it was safe.

Other dams such as Sirikit, Srinakharin are also unaffected by the major quake.

The earthquake with an epicentre about 12 miles west of Chauk Township in Magway Region hit at 5pm on August 24, killing four people and injuring one.

But its 6.8 major quake would keep Thai seismologists to keep close monitoring of its aftershocks for a few more days.

Tremors were felt in Magway, Bago, Ayeyawady, Yangon, Mandalay, Nay Pyi Taw, Sagaing, Shan and Rakhine, according to Eleven Myanmar news media today.

The media said Dr Kyaw Tun from the Myanmar Earthquake Committee said there might be aftershocks in Chauk, Magway or Rakhine. It may take several months, depending on the severity of the original earthquake.

Taking a look at the past Taungdwingyi and Thabeikkyin earthquakes, a series of aftershocks occurred for six consecutive months,” he added.

The Myanmar Eleven also reported that the Ministry of Religious and Cultural Affairs said 185 pagodas and temples in Bagan, nine in Salay region, three in MraukU and seven in Sagaing were damaged.

The Parliament in Nay Pyi Taw was apparently damaged, according to MPs. Pagodas and other buildings in Mandalay, Rakhine and Magway showed cracks.

Dr Yin Myo Min Htwe, assistant director of the Meteorology and Hydrology Department’s earthquake division, said: “The epicentre was not in the fault zone but near the Tuyintaung fault. The quake occurred between the Mann segment and the Yenangyaung fault.”

Aung Swe Win, deputy director of Myanmar Fire Services Department, said: “We are carrying out search and rescue operations in Magway and Mandalay, with 35 members for each township. One person died after a building collapsed in Magway Region and a monastery was damaged.”

Ko Ko Naing, director-general of the Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement, said: “Four people have been reported dead, two in each of Yenangyaung and Pakokku townships. One victim was sent to the Pakokku hospital.”

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/major-quake-myanmar-no-impact-thailand/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-25

19 hours ago, trogers said:

What did people up North felt?

The distance meant only low frequency waves affecting high-rises. Not felt by buildings below 15 floors high.

I live on the 8th floor in a condo building in Chiang Mai and felt the original wave with 2 aftershocks. I first felt my time on earth was over but upon asking the g/f she felt it to. 

My wife works up north, two kms from the Myanmar boarder, she felt the tremors at approx this time. She stayed in her office and phoned me in Chiang Mai to tell me. She decided to wait in her office until no aftershocks were apparent, before driving her motorcycle home. At the time she had no idea where it had taken place, but thought it may have been Myanmar.