Foiled a pickpocket attempt on Jomtien baht bus

LALes

I've been pickpocketed TWICE before by ladyboy/skank girl teams and now I know that they are super slick.

When a ladyboy and 2 girls got on my baht bus in Jomtien, the lady boy wedged in next to me with the other

two sitting across from me.  I was on high alert immediately.  The ladyboy was carrying a few grocery bags and

had his right arm (the one closest to me) across his chest securing his bags.  I figured as long as I could see his

arm, I was OK.  After we were riding for a few minutes, I saw his arm disappear into his shirt or somewhere.

All I know is that I couldn't see it so I instinctively started feeling around in the pockets of my cargo shorts.

My phone is in the top pocket and it was there.  Next, I reached down to the small, lower pocket where I keep

my card wallet.  I couldn't feel it.  I opened the pocket and nothing was in there!!!  It was that quick and that slick.

I stood up in the baht bus and looked right at him saying, "Where's my wallet?"  Of course, they feigned ignorance.

I looked down and there was my wallet on the bench right next to him.  I must have caught him right when he lifted

it and he just dropped it.  No way my wallet falls out of the lower pocket onto the bench!!!

But I didn't catch him in the act so I couldn't really do anything.  It wasn't on his person.  Meanwhile, they are returning

my glares as if I am accusing innocents.  When I got off soon after, they got off and crossed the street, looking to hop 

on a bus going in the opposite direction.  I have seen this a few times in the last few weeks.  A group of gnarly looking

Thais get off a baht bus, cross the street and get on another bus.  They don't even pay.  (are the drivers in on it?)

I have seen them then cross the street again and get on another bus in the same direction that they were originally going.

So obvious they are looking for a mark.  Keep your guard up on the baht busses!!

wearing those cargo shorts, your asking for trouble put your wallet, phone and other valuables in another pocket or change the style of shorts you wear. i never wear those type of shorts for that reason and never had any problems with pickpockets.

56 minutes ago, catman20 said:

wearing those cargo shorts, your asking for trouble put your wallet, phone and other valuables in another pocket or change the style of shorts you wear. i never wear those type of shorts for that reason and never had any problems with pickpockets.

Cargo shorts are fine if you get the right kind. Ones with at least one zippered pocket will do the trick. Thieves tend to go to easyer marks...ones without zippered/buttoned pockets.

I simply keep my hand over pocket that has wallet, passport, etc. If they can get it from me while I'm doing this without me being aware, I reckon they earned it. These gangs do seem to be in cahoots with some drivers for sure....

I was robbed on a baht bus. I thought it would never happen to me but they are very clever at it. One tactic they use is to distract you while the one seated next to you steals you money. Be VERY suspicious if anyone sits next to you with a large bag on their lap.

It's not only Thailand.   Our holiday neighbours in Bali packed and headed off for their flight back to Oz.   An hour later they were back in the cottage, frantically searching for their passports.  They'd taken a mini-bus (song taew) and a fight broke out between two locals.

You can guess the rest.  ALL passports lifted - 3 kids, one UK guy and his Aussie wife.

They returned to their cottage, and it was a week before they all had temporary Oz and UK permits to enter Australia.

There are some miserable so and sos robbing passengers, and losing a wallet, credit cards etc can ruin a holiday.

38 minutes ago, mamypoko said:

Well done!

Yeap.  Good on ya'.  The Thai ladyboy scourge gets more negative world attention by the day.  Hopefully the embarrassment and ridicule will eventually drive the authorities to clean them out.  (But I'm not holding my breath.)

My wallet is covered in razor-blades.  When they put their hand in my pocket they get a two inch cut; and bleed like a pig.

I travel all day on the buses, so that this gang will try to steal. One day I came home and found a finger in my pocket

from one of the attempted pick pockets. Well maybe it was a piece of my half eaten hot dog from lunch !

4 hours ago, catman20 said:

So we all go round looking g like you just in case someone try to pickpocket  us. I have worn and will continue to wear gargo shorts with multiple pockets for years never ever have I been pick pocketed. There again I never use a baht bus in pattaya. Maybe that's a thought change your mode of transport.

Edited by Deepinthailand

4 hours ago, catman20 said:

I never wear shorts, they are so unsightly, and I have never been pickpocketed.

Pity help anyone I catch even trying it, if there is only two or three, I will take my chances, there

is no way these type will be able to fight, yes I know, watch for weapons.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Pity help anyone I catch even trying it, if there is only two or three, I will take my chances, there

These type!!!! Won't be able to fight ok if that's what you belive good look. Ps shorts are not unsightly it's just your take on it

3 hours ago, cheapcanuck said:

Cargo shorts are fine if you get the right kind. Ones with at least one zippered pocket will do the trick. Thieves tend to go to easyer marks...ones without zippered/buttoned pockets.

My trousers all have zipped pockets, that's four of them, got one pair for every day of the week.

1 minute ago, Deepinthailand said:

These type!!!! Won't be able to fight ok if that's what you belive good look. Ps shorts are not unsightly it's just your take on it

I get what you are saying, but as I said, I will take my chances.

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

I was robbed on a baht bus. I thought it would never happen to me but they are very clever at it. One tactic they use is to distract you while the one seated next to you steals you money. Be VERY suspicious if anyone sits next to you with a large bag on their lap.

The only answer is to assume that you might be targeted and act accordingly. My passport only goes with me in a money belt as does the majority of my money and bank book etc.

They are experts in distraction.

6 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

They are Thais are they not? Fighting is not in their vocabulary unless there are five or six of them.

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

LOL. Pick a fight with one of them and it won't be just the one fighting you. I've seen it happen. Also, if the driver is in on it do you think he will stay in the cab?

When I buy new shorts, my wife sews a zippered pocket inside the waistband of each pair.  I keep any cards and major cash there, only keeping $B500 or less in the acessible pockets.  I also never take my wallet anywhere while in country.  I do take a laminated photocopy of my passport and visa page.  

39 minutes ago, bark said:

My wallet is covered in razor-blades.  When they put their hand in my pocket they get a two inch cut; and bleed like a pig.

I travel all day on the buses, so that this gang will try to steal. One day I came home and found a finger in my pocket

from one of the attempted pick pockets. Well maybe it was a piece of my half eaten hot dog from lunch !

I use fishing hooks, they are more effective than razorblades, they are very hard to pull

out of fingers.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Pick a fight with one of them and it won't be just the one fighting you. I've seen it happen. Also, if the driver is in on it do you think he will stay in the cab?

Yes, unless he has a weapon. You get nothing in this life if you

are not prepared to take any risks.

39 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

No, it's just his spindly legs in them!

59 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

My trousers all have zipped pockets, that's four of them, got one pair for every day of the week.

Some of them know this ploy, so they carry a very sharp cut throat razor and slice the pocket to remove contents. This is quite common in the Black Market in UlaanBaator in Mongolia. A doctor friend was robbed this way, but they also sliced his leg open......obviously an amateur.