Poll: Do you use "old man" bar soap in your bath/shower?

Jingthing

Poll: Do you use "old man" bar soap in your bath/shower?  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

52 minutes ago, DSJPC said:

I was unaware that bar soap is considered "old man" soap!...are u a card-carrying member of the PC Police???

Not really. I don't think mildly dissing old men about their choice of soap delivery is particularly PC either. Ageist actually! 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/30/2016 at 4:40 PM, MissAndry said:

Whatever happened to "soap on a rope"?

Someone gave me one of those gift sets.  Has the cologne, after-shave, soap-on-a-rope. I need soap on a rope. Lots of times I’m in the shower and I want to hang myself. Why do they connect these two things? Because they rhyme? I don’t need shaving cream on a wooden beam.

-Jerry Seinfeld, SeinLanguage.

7 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

I like animal products  :thumbsup:

Its an effort to use every part of the animal so none goes to waste. 

Besides, can we be sure that plants like tamarind, citris and tumeric do not feel pain when they are harvested for fragrance products? 

Personally, I do not believe that non-human animals...our fellow earthlings...are to be consumed, nor used and abused and exploited.:redcard1:  Vegan for over 26 years now for mainly ethical reasons, my only regret is that I can't claim a lifelong vegan diet. I don't knowingly use any animal products and do everything possible to be in the "know". 

That said, my gf is not even a vegetarian, nor are most of my friends and acquaintances. That is OK. I don't evangelize about it to them and they don't ignorantly ridicule me. One observation...a couple decades ago, when people found out I was a vegan, they would get defensive without provocation. Nowadays, people are much more interested and inquiring. They allow that they don't eat any or much red meat anymore and are trying to cut back on other fatty and high cholesterol animal flesh and embryos. 

:thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Personally, I do not believe that non-human animals...our fellow earthlings...are to be consumed, nor used and abused and exploited.:redcard1:  Vegan for over 26 years now for mainly ethical reasons, my only regret is that I can't claim a lifelong vegan diet. I don't knowingly use any animal products and do everything possible to be in the "know". 

That said, my gf is not even a vegetarian, nor are most of my friends and acquaintances. That is OK. I don't evangelize about it to them and they don't ignorantly ridicule me. One observation...a couple decades ago, when people found out I was a vegan, they would get defensive without provocation. Nowadays, people are much more interested and inquiring. They allow that they don't eat any or much red meat anymore and are trying to cut back on other fatty and high cholesterol animal flesh and embryos. 

I am wondering how you can possibly know the bathroom product you use is not derived from animals. Even the candles your girl-friend buys to burn at a shrine are most likely of animal origin - they are usually made from stearine, the result of splitting animal tallow with acid.

My son and daughter-in-law were full-on vegetarians. They have gone back to eating red meat, because anaemia can be one of the penalties of vegan practices.

I don't have any problem with your beliefs. We could all benefit healthwise and economically from reducing our protein intake in favour of

fruit, vegetables and grains. However, I suggest you are kidding yourself if you think you can isolate yourself from animal-derived products.

6 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

The reason people used to get defensive is because 99% of vegetarians and vegans always needed to shove it in peoples faces as some sort of superiority thing. 

But after re-reading your post #91, it is clear you did not do that. 

At the same time, do you realize that cows are killed foremost for their meat and the tsllow is simply a byproduct. If there was no market at all for tallow it would not change the number of cows killed at all. It would simply mean that one useful part of the animal was being thrown out and this seems irresponsible to me. 

18 hours ago, newatthis said:

I don't know about that smotherb. I was born in the early 1950's in Oz. We were once a week bathers and we used one of these

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_heater.

You'll probably find some pictures on google if they are still being used.

Cheers

Fookhaht said " Heck, in the 1950's (North America) everyone had their Saturday night bath (only) whether they needed it or not. "

I was born in 1945, and lived in North America in the fifties. Only bathing on Saturday nights was not the norm.  What happened in Oz may be a different story.

On 8/31/2016 at 11:24 AM, sipi said:

Omo and steel wool.

Omo washes not only clean.....

not only bright but white......

Omo adds bright bright brightness :clap2:

My personal preference is the good old nakka..lakka :thumbsup:

47 minutes ago, petermik said:

Omo washes not only clean.....

not only bright but white......

Omo adds bright bright brightness :clap2:

My personal preference is the good old nakka..lakka :thumbsup:

I love this stuff, because it shows how advertising triumphs over reality.

When I worked in the industry ( a long time ago, admittedly ) the detergent brands Omo and Surf were basically identical. The only difference was the Omo had a small proportion of the powder grains dyed with methylene blue, to make it look different. The same with the brands Rinso and Persil. Identical soap powder off the same production line, just put in different packaging. It's called brand saturation. I've had housewives swear blind to me one was better than the other.:cheesy:

From memory, the cost of advertising for a packet of Omo was about 20 times the cost of the material inside the packet. This is the heartbeat of modern industrial society.

As this topic has diverged off anyway, I ask does anyone prefer to use soap instead of shaving foam? 

I found years ago that it can be used like the old shaving stick soap.  Seems to give much better lubrication and also helps the blade edge last longer.  My Dad used to lather up with a shaving brush but I find using my hand wet, is good enough!

Edited by Slain

On 8/31/2016 at 1:35 PM, possum1931 said:

What does obtuse mean?

Try using fewer-syllable words; slow, dull, or thick may be more appropriate

On 8/31/2016 at 1:26 PM, HooHaa said:

you aren't being ignorant, you are being obtuse.

10 hours ago, bazza40 said:

I am wondering how you can possibly know the bathroom product you use is not derived from animals.

However, I suggest you are kidding yourself if you think you can isolate yourself from animal-derived products.

10 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

The reason people used to get defensive is because 99% of vegetarians and vegans always needed to shove it in peoples faces as some sort of superiority thing. 

But after re-reading your post #91, it is clear you did not do that. 

The 99% figure you used above seems an exaggeration.

Also, @bazza40 a re-read seems to be in order as I clearly stated that I do not knowingly use any animal products and do everything possible to avoid doing so. That was intentionally clarified and qualified...allowing that it is possible something might unwittingly slip by...to avoid the nit-picking nonsense. 

Also clearly stated that the gf was not a vegetarian, so if I'm OK with her ingesting animal products...why would it matter if she burns candles??? My lifestyle is for me alone. Not trying to push it down anyone's throat. Just sharing info bro...:)

Edited by Skeptic7

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

The 99% figure you used above seems an exaggeration.

Also, @bazza40 a re-read seems to be in order as I clearly stated that I do not knowingly use any animal products and do everything possible to avoid doing so. That was intentionally clarified and qualified...allowing that it is possible something might unwittingly slip by...to avoid the nit-picking nonsense. 

Also clearly stated that the gf was not a vegetarian, so if I'm OK with her ingesting animal products...why would it matter if she burns candles??? My lifestyle is for me alone. Not trying to push it down anyone's throat. Just sharing info bro...:)

If you own a car, or use any form of public transport such as a taxi or bus, you are  in a conveyance produced with the aid of animals. That's because the steel panels were made with a cold-rolling process which requires lubrication. Most rolling oils contain animal

tallow. The wheel bearings which facilitate your travel will have greases containing lithium stearate as lubricants. Again, the stearic acid used to make the grease is derived from acid splitting of tallow. Think that moisturiser you or your GF uses is animal -free? Think again - the glycerine has animal origins. Shaving soap ditto.

I think these examples illustrate a lot is going to slip by- just sharing  info:)

Edited by bazza40
Additional information

11 minutes ago, bazza40 said:

If you own a car, or use any form of public transport such as a taxi or bus, you are  in a conveyance produced with the aid of animals. That's because the steel panels were made with a cold-rolling process which requires lubrication. Most rolling oils contain animal

tallow. The wheel bearings which facilitate your travel will have greases containing lithium stearate as lubricants. Again, the stearic acid used to make the grease is derived from acid splitting of tallow. Think that moisturiser you or your GF uses is animal -free? Think again - the glycerine has animal origins. Shaving soap ditto.

I think these examples illustrate a lot is going to slip by- just sharing  info:)

Additional information. I do hope you and your GF can rely on natural lubrication, Skeptic7. I must point out lubricants on condoms and KY jelly all contain glycerine.:D

On 1/9/2559 at 3:25 PM, Slain said:

As this topic has diverged off anyway, I ask does anyone prefer to use soap instead of shaving foam? 

I found years ago that it can be used like the old shaving stick soap.  Seems to give much better lubrication and also helps the blade edge last longer.  My Dad used to lather up with a shaving brush but I find using my hand wet, is good enough!

Normal soap. Two washes of the face and leave the soap on the second wash. A friend used to swear that shampoo was the best to shave with.

On 9/1/2016 at 4:50 PM, smotherb said:

But for the fact none of them actaully mean obtuse, or carry the nuance of it being deliberate.

Thanks for coming out though.

Edited by HooHaa

Has the topic of anti-bacterial vs regualr soap already made the rounds?

Studies have shown actually no difference in cleanliness. You just pay more for the psychological benefit of thinking you're cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On September 3, 2016 at 7:17 AM, Fookhaht said:

Studies have shown actually no difference in cleanliness. You just pay more for the psychological benefit of thinking you're cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read that regular soap lather needs to remain on the skin for about 40 seconds to equal the anti-bacterial properties of just a quick contact of the real thing.

There was just a BBC article indicating the USA is going to ban some of the chemicals in anti-bacterial soaps.

17 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

I have read that regular soap lather needs to remain on the skin for about 40 seconds to equal the anti-bacterial properties of just a quick contact of the real thing.

The scientific studies are stacked against what you may have read.   One of the leading sources, Consumer Reports has this.... (short excerpt):

"The Food and Drug Administration is banning the sale of antibacterial soaps and body washes after manufacturers failed to prove that the products’ active ingredients are safe and effective.

“Consumers may think antibacterial washes are more effective at preventing the spread of germs, but we have no scientific evidence that they are any better than plain soap and water,” said Janet Woodcock, M.D., director of the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. “In fact, some data suggests that antibacterial ingredients may do more harm than good over the long term.”

For the rest of the article/study, here's the link:   http://www.consumerreports.org/health/fda-says-no-antibacterial-soap/

• 3 weeks later...