Civil society groups protest against “Smashed” programme in front of British embassy

webfact

7 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Of course they do and it's a subtle way of promoting their products, especially in a country where advertising alcoholic beverages is extremely restrictive whilst at the same time providing education to the youngsters regarding alcohol misuse.

I see it as a win-win!

It can't be a win win

The objectives are different.. alcohol education should help young people not to drink or to drink less... 

To win for the producers is if their products is sold more (only time it would be a win is if it would eat up market share of an other producer) But in a way its of course totally wrong what your saying because it does not work that way.

Can't be a win for both sides.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LOL...The british needs to fix their youths first...The entire world knows how the youths in britian party in Spain...

The british youth go crazy in Thailand...

I don't know whats with UK and needs to FIX things in Third world countries...

I'm a third world guy and please stay away...I don't need NO FIXING

Britain's binge drinking levels are among the highest in the world
Britain among the worst in the world for alcohol intake, World Health Organisation report shows

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10825449/Britains-binge-drinking-levels-are-among-the-highest-in-the-world.html

Edited by starchild5

So correct me if I got this wrong.... an anti-liquor organisation protesting against a program designed to educate the youth about the dangers and effects of alcohol and to prevent mis-use.  Isn't that what the anti-liquor organisation should be doing and backing?  Sounds like they don't like the idea of someone else doing their work for them.  Doesn't make sense at all.  

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

It can't be a win win

The objectives are different.. alcohol education should help young people not to drink or to drink less... 

To win for the producers is if their products is sold more (only time it would be a win is if it would eat up market share of an other producer) But in a way its of course totally wrong what your saying because it does not work that way.

Can't be a win for both sides.

Some of those kids are going to drink regardless of the program. We know that, Diageo knows that.

In all honesty, most Diageo brands wouldn't appeal to youngsters anyway. 

Edited by madmitch

2 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

Wait...

And these people are protesting against it?!?

:facepalm:

It is an evil farang invention, they should go back to where they came from (after giving up all their money). No worries, Thais will make a good copy, "Sloshed".

31 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Of course they do and it's a subtle way of promoting their products, especially in a country where advertising alcoholic beverages is extremely restrictive whilst at the same time providing education to the youngsters regarding alcohol misuse.

I see it as a win-win!

They do a very good job of promoting their alcoholic products by selling water with the same name, (Chang & Singha). What's the chances of Kronenburg & Guiness etc getting away with the same trick ? But we will allow them to ignore that blatant alcoholic beverage advertising

Edited by StevieDee
update

1 hour ago, aussieinthailand said:

Is it me or do Thai's just love going too foreign embassy's to protest for just about anything,,,,  

Right that's it, white devil white devil, my ice-creame is to cold, who invented ice-cream and where is their embassy?

Yo people the world is not against you,  there's no evil plot...  get a _____  life.  You have a problem with youth drinking,  go and protest them.

It's partly because they have a limited ability to protest against their own government.  Very doubtful that a foreign embassy would do to them what might happen to them if they protested outside of the wrong Thai governmental office.  

I'm not suggesting anybody that speaks up gets whacked or anything but it is considerably more risky to protest against a Thai institution than it is to protest against a foreign one.  

It's sort of like what might happen with children who are being physically abused at home.  They don't act out against the parent beating them (that would be dangerous).  Instead they typically act out in school or in other environments where they feel safe from physical abuse.   

Even socially, it's more acceptable to direct your frustrations at foreigners than to be seen as someone rocking the status quo. Whereas if a Thai drives by and sees Thais protesting outside the Ministry of Education they might think, "Stupid people.  Why are they making a problem?"  But if they see them outside the British embassy the same person thinks, "I wonder what the farangs did."  

It is really sad, and much too common for these networked 'anti' organizations, in this case anti-liquor, to use absolute narrow-mindedness as an excuse for protest. They have seen 'major liquor importer' and 'foreign embassy' in the same sentence and gone off on one. 2 + 2 = 5.

IMO, the Smashed programme, and others like it, are the only way to influence the youth of today, through education and not just inhibition. Tell any adolescent, going through or approaching their (natural) rebellious stage not to do something and the figures will always swing towards the ones that will break the rules opposed to those who comply. I say that through personal experience.

Throughout my life I have witnessed countless people and relationships destroyed because of alcohol, myself almost becoming one of those statistical figures. I was a 'hardened' drinker by the age of 17 and continued that trend for the next 25 years. I know not everyone stays the course, but the start of it, for myself and a lot of the casualties mentioned earlier, was because of being told I wasn't allowed to do something without being educated about the why's.

I have been dry for the last 17 years, through personal choice. That said, I have nothing against drinkers, in fact I would even encourage some of them to have a blow-out every now and again! But that advice comes after hard earned education throughout the years.

The kids need educating, not only in academic subjects but in issues that will/may affect them throughout their lives. If the 'anti' organizations don't recognize this, IMO they shouldn't be members of said organizations.

Edit: Apologies for the rant, didn't realize the post was so long.....................;)

Edited by chrisinth

It boggles  my mind that the British Embassy in Bangkok can get off their fat bums to get involved with anything....they certainly don't get involved in anything resembling what their raison d'etre is...namely assisting British citizens and residents instead of driving them to drink with their somnambulence.

50 minutes ago, MikeTexas said:

Why is the British Embassy getting involved in a Thai domestic program? Seems they're out of their realm of influence. 

They are trying to promote responsible drinking in a country with a bad track record of self control. This is a good thing. Don't knock it.

The protest is a clear indication of how ham handed the British Embassy and Diageo have been in managing what may have been a very good educational program.  I would have expected that in leading and managing a program of this nature that the lead sponsors would have done the necessary and to communicate and welcome the support of all these anti-drinking groups.  These groups would then have been supporting the effort and not protesting it.  The main culprit is Diageo and their PR agency.  

3 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

Wait...

And these people are protesting against it?!?

:facepalm:

Yes, because these fundamentalists argue that alcohol is the root cause of all evil.

An enlightened view that alcohol can be enjoyed in strict moderation for the purpose of sociability is deeply against their view.

Thai society is relatively liberal with regard to drinking (in moderation); unfortunately fundamentalists like these have taken advantage of the coup and pushed their extremist agenda which in the past most people had ignored or seen as a marginal view.

Edited by Morakot

2 hours ago, aussieinthailand said:

Is it me or do Thai's just love going too foreign embassy's to protest for just about anything,,,,  

Right that's it, white devil white devil, my ice-creame is to cold, who invented ice-cream and where is their embassy?

Yo people the world is not against you,  there's no evil plot...  get a _____  life.  You have a problem with youth drinking,  go and protest them.

wow you made a post I actually agree with - gota be a first

56 minutes ago, starchild5 said:

LOL...The british needs to fix their youths first...The entire world knows how the youths in britian party in Spain...

The british youth go crazy in Thailand...

I don't know whats with UK and needs to FIX things in Third world countries...

I'm a third world guy and please stay away...I don't need NO FIXING

Britain's binge drinking levels are among the highest in the world
Britain among the worst in the world for alcohol intake, World Health Organisation report shows

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10825449/Britains-binge-drinking-levels-are-among-the-highest-in-the-world.html

Ever been to Spain, to it's holiday islands and resorts? Open your mind and realize it's the youth of Europe - British, German, Dutch, Scandinavians etc etc who party and go crazy at the wild organized parties that want to sell as much booze as possible for profit, and some other drugs that are not so legal. Greek Islands too, 

Binge drinking is a phenomenon that effects people more in some countries. Alcohol consumption is much higher in other countries where hard drinking is a daily norm and not "binging". 

Britain, like many other Western countries offers aid, support and partnerships to many countries on many initiatives. If you think isolationism is the way forward then off you go to your cave.

21 minutes ago, Paul Laycock said:

What's it got to do with the British?

What does all the massive American aid they give have to do with Americans - doh? Or German aid with Germans etc

Countries like America, Britain, Australia, Germany do huge amounts to try and help organizations (like OBEC here) with educational and informative programs, often in conjunction with organizations like WHO, UN departments etc. 

It's called social responsibility. Most Western countries do this. But you don't see Russia, China, the rich Middle East countries bothering much. Ever wondered why?

protest against a joint effort by the embassy and a major liquor importer to stage activities to create positive attitude toward alcoholic drinks among Thai youths.

When reading that statement it does appear that they (embassy & importer) are promoting alcohol use among Thai youths.

Edited by Keesters

Here's the background on the anti-drinking campaign: Smashed Project

40 schools are already on-board. No mention of commercial sponsors. 

I suspect these protesters are clueless about all of this... likely completely uninformed. And of course the Thai PBS "journalist" doesn't do any fact-checking either. Amazing.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

in cooperation with the British embassy and the Foundation to Solve Alcoholic Drinks

Can't Thai PBS find someone with a modicum of command of the English language?? Otherwise, why bother to even report 'news' in something that resembles English? Do they have editors? Fact checkers??

Anyway, the "Foundation to Solve Alcohol Drinks" makes sense to nobody... couldn't have made sense to them. Even the "Foundation to SERVE Alcoholic Drinks" would have been preferable (on a number of levels).

Anyway, the true name of the organisation is: "The Thai Foundation for Responsible Drinking"

3 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

How about educating the two British families that live on my street first? These people party two or three times a week in their front yards, keep the whole neighborhood up until 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning and despite numerous requests to keep the noise down, they refuse to do so. We've never once had a problem with the Thais that live on our street who comprise about 80% of the people that live on the street. 

Don't be so hard on them, they are probably still using the British time, how else can they watch Coronation Street at the same time as they always did.

I think that all the protesting organization saw was the name of 

a major liquor importer 

It to them is probably the same as the NON CHANG BEER COMMERCIALS. that we see.

It is a good idea And i might have been a good idea to get these groups on board adn invite them to see what happens with a group of them.  Get their feedback and see where any issues lay BEFORE ANNOUNCING IT.