Accident today in Chalong

schlog

36 minutes ago, HappyDazed said:

Why focus on those that didn't stop while ignoring those that did?

Unless you're teeing up a thread for yet another Thai hate fest!

No one is teeing up a thai hate fest. Chalong has a lot farangs and sure thai and farangs passed only looking.

Came across many accidents and many death in all the years but behaviour like this by so many i never saw.

This topic was meaningful when only one more person will stop and help at the next accident.

There is no good Samaritan clause in Thailand.

I would call an ambulance, but, I wouldn't touch the victim........too much risk.

It goes against all the values I was taught, but, the first rule of safety when helping others is to make sure you are safe first.

I'm not going to take the chance of having my life ruined just because I tried to do the right thing.

19 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

I would call an ambulance, but, I wouldn't touch the victim........too much risk.

It goes against all the values I was taught, but, the first rule of safety when helping others is to make sure you are safe first.

I'm not going to take the chance of having my life ruined just because I tried to do the right thing.

+1 The sentimentalist in me would like to stop.  

But the cold, calculating part of me says there's very little chance I could do any good, and quite a bit of downside risk by getting involved.  Aside from the risks you mentioned, there's also the risk that I would be mistakenly (or maliciously) blamed for the accident in the first place.  It's happened to coworkers in China.

Add on the possibility of a vigilante mob beat down should that happen, and I'd be limited to calling an ambulance.  Which would be futile since I speak no Thai.  So the smart thing to do is to drive on.  

Sad, (especially since I spent some time on a volunteer rescue squad many years ago) but it is what it is.

Looks like the car did not even put on the brakes, the police should find them as I noticed the front number plate came off the Car. As for stopping and going to help.... that is a hard one, my natural instincts are to go help, yet it has been made very clear to me by Thai friends do not get involved unless you want trouble, and as a KarenBravo said why take the chance of having your life ruined, totally agree. A sad reflection on living in Thailand

I'm curious as to what people find to be the problem. There are people on scene and on phones within 30 seconds. What purpose would be served by loads of vehicles stopping? In the past it has just caused MORE accidents. How do you know the vehicle DIDN'T stop just out of range of the camera.

Maybe if the guy hadn't ridden into a vehicle that was clearly visible and was wearing a helmet I would feel a bit more sympathetic. 

I not that he actually had a green turn filter and a lot of the vehicles headed north actually ran the red in their lane. Too many people too quick to judge without being aware of the facts.

Same here as in India (I saw on a Discovery TV show), they don't stop, too risky, you might end up paying. I bet that's the same in many other countries.

Well on the video people was standing next to the victim and phoning for help (I assume?) so I am not alarmed by this, but that's the way it works here.

If you can't stomach it, go home to your nanny state.

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

The samaritarian laws here are really not as bad as feared. And personally I would not be afraid to help somebody in situations like this.

Where the hell was the white car going? That said, the mbike could have avoided the accident.

NEVER, NEVER trust anyone in Thailand to follow road rules. If they can do something wrong, they will.

SALSA:

Stay

Alert

Left

Stay

Alive

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Date is yesterday on video.  And there is no vehicle stopping on video during the one minute tape so kind of hard to talk about those stopping..  

It really hurts just watching the movie. I hope the guy will survive without any disabilities. 

2 hours ago, schlog said:

No one is teeing up a thai hate fest. Chalong has a lot farangs and sure thai and farangs passed only looking.

Came across many accidents and many death in all the years but behaviour like this by so many i never saw.

This topic was meaningful when only one more person will stop and help at the next accident.

You didn't answer my question & you need to watch the video again if you think only one person stopped...I think your confirmational bias is effecting your eyesight.

As for you never seeing anything like this before in your life, I can only assume you don't have much life experience or only see what you want to see.

9 minutes ago, Shot said:

Where the hell was the white car going? That said, the mbike could have avoided the accident.

NEVER, NEVER trust anyone in Thailand to follow road rules. If they can do something wrong, they will.

SALSA:

Stay

Alert

Left

Stay

Alive

It seems that the guy on the motorbike had green, watching the others making their turn. The guy in the white car doens't seem to know what he's doing. he could have made a sharp turn and prevented the crash.

The guy on the motorbike first thought the car would go straight. How could he have avoided that crash?

I drive bikes since 40 years, the only chance would have been to accelerate. Sad to see such car drivers on the road.

Just read that the guy died. RIP, it wasn't your fault. 

Actually it does appear there was a stop line and that car may have run a red light as all traffic after him came to a stop at the stop line and lane was open for right turn.   They then proceeded with normal traffic from street on right - they do not appear to have stopped for accident.  

21 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The samaritarian laws here are really not as bad as feared. And personally I would not be afraid to help somebody in situations like this.

I've stopped many times and did what I could do. If the person is conscious, it even helps when the victim has somebody near him/her. 

3 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

The first mistake is the car veering to the left as the bike idiotically went right. But the people casually looking and not stopping astounds me. :coffee1:

If you're not a doctor or nurse, why would you stop? How could you help?

The car driver stopped and called the ambulance, not much else to be done really.

And I agree, looks like the car driver ran a red light.

4 minutes ago, nottocus said:

I wouldn't stop for that

That's a little bit selfish, don't you think? What if you were the person on the ground and you see all the guys driving by and nobody stops?

Then you'd be very angry right?

48 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

It really hurts just watching the movie. I hope the guy will survive without any disabilities. 

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

From Thai media accounts the white Honda SUV jumped the red light and did not stop after the accident. Notice that the grey mini van did stop. The m/bike driver died.

:(

The only positive thing I could do upon seeing this clip/thread was to sit my boys (10 &12) down and talk them through it in order to reinforce our (ie My!) parential 'zero tolerance' policy towards motorbikes or bicycles on roads in such a dangerous environment.

(Their mates turned up @ our house today riding a chicken chaser!)

RIP to the deceased.

This video would be worth the Driver Licensing dept - use for pre-license training:

- would would you do if?

you are the rider  (rider anticipation and response)

the white car driver  (awareness of the traffic flow priorities)

what to do if you are involved in the accident

what to do if you are a witness to the accident

etc

etc

5 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

The first mistake is the car veering to the left as the bike idiotically went right. But the people casually looking and not stopping astounds me. :coffee1:

The bike idiotically went right on a Green light did he?

Or did the prick in the SUV run a red you reckon?

:coffee1:

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

From Thai media accounts the white Honda SUV jumped the red light and did not stop after the accident. Notice that the grey mini van did stop. The m/bike driver died.

You can see the lights on the video.

6 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

That's a little bit selfish, don't you think? What if you were the person on the ground and you see all the guys driving by and nobody stops?

Then you'd be very angry right?

Nah. I,d be dead.

Archived