Russians rolling back to Phuket

rooster59

Russians rolling back to Phuket

Anton Makhrov

1473396964_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: A resurgence in the number of Russian tourists coming to Phuket has piqued hopes for a Russian revival pumping much-needed life-blood back into Phuket’s critical tourism industry.

Fuelling the interest in the revitalised tourist source market are more than six consecutive months of over 20 per cent growth year-on-year in the number of arrivals from Russia, and the fact that the “new” Russians are spending more.

Phuket is experiencing two trends: a short term spike in the number of Russians tourists arriving on cheap package tours (see story here), but also an undercurrent of longer-term growth that began six months ago where the focus is on the growing trend for more, higher-spending Russian tourists making their way to Phuket.

The Ministry of Tourism and Sports (MoT) reported 599,140 travellers from Russia visited Thailand in January-July, up 19.39% from same period last year. In July alone the arrivals from Russia grew 20.02%, nearly doubling the average growth rate of 10.85% recorded by MoT.

“The increase in the number of Russian tourists this year is undeniable, and the number of charter flights to Phuket is increasing,” notes Sathirapong Na Takuatoong, President of Phuket Tourist Association.

“The Russians coming now are different from the mass tourism Russians who came two years ago,” Mr Sathirapong told The Phuket News.

However, while the new arrivals are spending more on their holidays, they are more selective about what they spend their money on and are seeking out fair value.

“I can’t say that these Russians will be higher quality than those who came two years ago, but they are spending more – about B5,000 per person and a day,” Mr Sathirapong noted.

Russia ranks sixth on the list of Thailand’s largest source markets and tops the list of non-Asian countries. Thailand’s five top markets – China, Malaysia, South Korea, Japan and India – are all within the Asian region, while Russia is number one source market outside it, outstripping Europe, Australia and USA in terms of volume and often in terns of length of stay and tourist spending.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/russians-rolling-back-to-phuket-59031.php#2cislLiyozc8ufZJ.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-11

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are definitely more Russians here than in the past.  What my Russian friends tell me however is that Russians are coming due to Egypt and Turkey being closed and that Russians that come now are not the moneyed Russians.  Thailand just simply has the cheapest options for Russians venturing abroad at the moment is the word I hear.

13 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

There are definitely more Russians here than in the past.  What my Russian friends tell me however is that Russians are coming due to Egypt and Turkey being closed and that Russians that come now are not the moneyed Russians.  Thailand just simply has the cheapest options for Russians venturing abroad at the moment is the word I hear.

I don't care  as long they come, The hotel get some money, instead of empty rooms, employee get money and so on, so the tourist money is going in the bank. Great for Thailand, we need them to support the economy.

to make it short. The point is, they are arriving here now;)

19 minutes ago, carstenp said:

I don't care  as long they come, The hotel get some money, instead of empty rooms, employee get money and so on, so the tourist money is going in the bank. Great for Thailand, we need them to support the economy.

to make it short. The point is, they are arriving here now;)

Simply a short respite that will not last.........they want cheap accommodation, cheap travel, a few fakes and then most of their cash goes into booze.....!

AOT has an App.

I use it from time to time to see where flights are arriving from (for business purposes)

prior to the massive decline in the Ruble there were 4-8 charter flight arriving and departing directly to/from phuket from Russia in the high season.

After the Ruble nose dived it was like 1-3.

Today I count 6 and that does not include people transiting from BKK in the LOW season.

Edited by xvend

The bigger concern, is how many of these arriving Russians will stay?  I'd wager, these arrivals are not  just about tourism, but a fact finding mission to make Thailand their home.  Don't get me wrong they have the right to do so. But, to do so with dubious intent is not what Thailand needs.  We have enough weeds in the garden. 

Edited by jlwilliamsjr18

41 minutes ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

The bigger concern, is how many of these arriving Russians will stay?  I'd wager, these arrivals are not  just about tourism, but a fact finding mission to make Thailand their home.  Don't get me wrong they have the right to do so. But, to do so with dubious intent is not what Thailand needs.  We have enough weeds in the garden. 

Ever thought of writing fiction for a living?

You're very talented.

22 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

hotel owners be happy and can increase the room rates now.

No, You have it at least half wrong. (1)  Hotel owners are never happy. (2) They increase room rates when tourism numbers drop to keep profits the same. (3)  And also increase them in the busy season to make hay while the sun is shining.

19 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Yes, we can thank extreme Islamic action in Egypt and the wider middle east for their return.  I wonder how the ruble v/s THB has moved over the last recent months.  I have not been watching that particular trade.  That might have a part influence too.

19 hours ago, steelepulse said:

I was in Nha Trang in May and August. The place is full of Russians. Far more than English

speakers. Cheaper than Thailand, the beaches/water were cleaner hotels, food, alcohol

were cheaper and of excellent quality. All menus in Russian. Just no overt sex scene.The only

reason why some Russians are still coming to Thailand is the particular city they come from

does not have direct flights to Nha Trang or Da Nang. Just my thought. The Russians in Nha Trang

were all flying in direct on charters. Just my opinion but if countries like Vietnam, Cambodia, get

regular scheduled flight service to/from Western Countries Thai tourism would be in big trouble. As it is

BKK is well established and Phuket is also broadening its international travelers who can now fly

direct.

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

I wonder if TAT has considered that perhaps "quality tourists" might want a "quality experience" when they come? Safe to assume more Russians will come as the weather heads into winter. Just a guess.

i doubt it by just look at the amount of soi dogs ready to give you a 15.000 baht coarse of treatment for a bite in case it has rabies  

24 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

No, You have it at least half wrong. (1)  Hotel owners are never happy. (2) They increase room rates when tourism numbers drop to keep profits the same. (3)  And also increase them in the busy season to make hay while the sun is shining.

You really don't have a clue!