Phuket Town Retirement Extension Today Sept 14

RickNew

I arrived at Phuket Town Immigration Room 103 at 8:00 and was the first in line (by 8:30 six more had arrived). They opened the door at 8:30, I gave the IO my completed paperwork, he stamped everything by 8:35 and I was told to wait to have photo taken.  At 8:40 they snapped my photo and tell me to come back tomorrow afternoon to pick up my passport.  Very easy!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, phuketandsee said:

Easy maybe but they still make it as inconvenient as possible. You get there very early and you still have to come back the next day.

They can make it a lot more inconvenient if they'd wish to do so. OP seems very happy with the provided service, but there are always others to complain.

Wonder why they make you come back the next day? 

I get my annual retirement extension of stay in Bangkok/ChaengWattana and excluding queue time to be called to set down with the immigration officer (IO) it boils down to the 1st IO doing the bulk of the processing of your application which takes about 10 minutes and stamps in the extension into your passport.  Then the IO sends you over to another IO who sends about a minute reviewing your packaging and signing off.  Then you are told to go to back to the waiting area because they then send your package/passport over to another IO for something...maybe one more check...maybe logging something...I don't know..  Then around 5 to 10 minutes later your passport is bought out to you with extension approved...out the door you go....done for another year.

Edited by Pib

29 minutes ago, Pib said:

Wonder why they make you come back the next day? 

I get my annual retirement extension of stay in Bangkok/ChaengWattana and excluding queue time to be called to set down with the immigration officer (IO) it boils down to the 1st IO doing the bulk of the processing of your application which takes about 10 minutes and stamps in the extension into your passport.  Then the IO sends you over to another IO who sends about a minute reviewing your packaging and signing off.  Then you are told to go to back to the waiting area because they then send your package/passport over to another IO for something...maybe one more check...maybe logging something...I don't know..  Then around 5 to 10 minutes later your passport is bought out to you with extension approved...out the door you go....done for another year.

As Shot says, it's because of the sign-off by the Captain. I think It's better than sitting around waiting while the pile of passport on his/her unattended desk grows.

54 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

To the OP:

"I gave the IO my completed paperwork"

Did that include the Personal Information form?

Yes.  However, he did not even look at it.  He removed it from the all the other required paper work and handed it to one of the volunteers.  I have no idea where it went from there.

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

08.00 is a bit extreme early for Phuket. 08.30 is plenty early. Not at all like Chiang Mai where I hear folks start waiting in the wee small hours.

I waited 30 minutes to be first with a 10 minute process time.  At 8:30 six others already waiting, maybe number 6 had to wait 60 minutes??  I do not know.  (I do the same at the doctor and dentist.  I like to be first and get it over with.)

1 hour ago, phuketandsee said:

Easy maybe but they still make it as inconvenient as possible. You get there very early and you still have to come back the next day.

Last year I was done by 9:00 but still had to come back same day after 2:00.  I agree, bit of a drag to go to Phuket Town twice.  But I'm happy to be done for another year!!

10 minutes ago, RickNew said:

Last year I was done by 9:00 but still had to come back same day after 2:00.  I agree, bit of a drag to go to Phuket Town twice.  But I'm happy to be done for another year!!

I often fail to see why some take issue with having to go back the next day. Its no great hardship and exactly the same as if an action was carried out at an overseas consulate/embassy. On the contrary some seem keen to have the night away! Glad to hear your experience was as painless as mine. The process in the new office is far better than when it was upstairs.

19 minutes ago, RickNew said:

I waited 30 minutes to be first with a 10 minute process time.  At 8:30 six others already waiting, maybe number 6 had to wait 60 minutes??  I do not know.  (I do the same at the doctor and dentist.  I like to be first and get it over with.)

Usually there are at least 5 maybe 6 IOs so no problem.  Last year I arrived just as door open, lot more than 6 waiting, more like 19.  Longest wait is the volunteer paper check. Took me until 09.15 to get a ticket, OI called me about 09.30.

The come back next day is now a pain. Started that a couple of years ago when wait for captain to check and sign was taking  over an hour. Too many folks waiting and cluttering up the seating area.

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Usually there are at least 5 maybe 6 IOs so no problem.  Last year I arrived just as door open, lot more than 6 waiting, more like 19.  Longest wait is the volunteer paper check. Took me until 09.15 to get a ticket, OI called me about 09.30.

The come back next day is now a pain. Started that a couple of years ago when wait for captain to check and sign was taking  over an hour. Too many folks waiting and cluttering up the seating area.

It's different now with the little downstairs room for retirement extensions.

1 hour ago, RickNew said:

Yes.  However, he did not even look at it.  He removed it from the all the other required paper work and handed it to one of the volunteers.  I have no idea where it went from there.

Probably face-down in the photocopier paper tray.

25 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Oh - so the married extensions are where ?

Upstairs.

When I did my married extension a few months ago, there were several other forms that I had to fill in and sign. Forms that are not available on the website, and not provided by the volunteers. From the OP's description, maybe these other forms aren't required for retirement extensions?

4 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Upstairs.

When I did my married extension a few months ago, there were several other forms that I had to fill in and sign. Forms that are not available on the website, and not provided by the volunteers. From the OP's description, maybe these other forms aren't required for retirement extensions?

TM7, passport pages, banking info with letter from bank, lease, copy of landlord ID card, picture of me standing in front of address and personal info sheet.  That's it for retirement extension.

TM7, passport pages, banking info with letter from bank, lease, copy of landlord ID card, picture of me standing in front of address and personal info sheet.  That's it for retirement extension.

Was there also for extension, bank statement not needed, ATM card copy not needed, have to give picture of house tomorrow, copy of every extension along with normal copies, last year Siam charged me 400 bht for letter and statement this year only 100 bht!

Was there also for extension, bank statement not needed, ATM card copy not needed, have to give picture of house tomorrow, copy of every extension along with normal copies, last year Siam charged me 400 bht for letter and statement this year only 100 bht!

Personal info sheet was thrown to one side and not looked at.

32 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

Personal info sheet was thrown to one side and not looked at.

Last year IO sent me away to my bank to collect  "3 month bank statement".  This year my bank (Krungsi) automatically provided this to me with "letter from bank".  IO today did look at, and kept, my 3 month bank statement.  Krungsi charged me 200 baht for the letter and bank statement.  And you are correct, they did hand back to me the copy of my bank card.

55 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

The picture sounds new.....

I think it is new.  I did not need it last year.  Others today also had picture in front of house, showing house number.  IO did keep the photo.  Mine was color photo, taken with iPhone, printed on normal paper (not photo paper).

I think it is new.  I did not need it last year.  Others today also had picture in front of house, showing house number.  IO did keep the photo.  Mine was color photo, taken with iPhone, printed on normal paper (not photo paper).

I know this is required for the extension due to marriage, but, for the extension by reason of retirement?

22 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

I know this is required for the extension due to marriage, but, for the extension by reason of retirement?

Yes, it's new for retirement.  Outside photo in front of house number.  Do not need second photo inside house.  

See "Badrabbit" comment this post.  He has to bring picture back tomorrow.

I took my photo with phone, printed it on home printer with normal paper.  Easy to do, no problem.

This is an itemized updated list of things you need:

(please feel free to update or correct)

Completed TM7

Current photo

Letter of Income (from US Embassy) or Letter from bank and bank book showing required Baht

Copy of US bank, and Thai bank card, front only (required when submitting Letter of Income)

Foreign National Information Form, you can get here>> FOREIGN NATIONAL.docx

That is a nice clean copy from phuketjock

Pic of you in front of your residence with house number showing

Copies of:

Passport ID page

Two previous retirement extensions and the visa those are based on

Used re-entry permit from last extension (if you left the country)

Departure Card

Notification of Res.

All copies must have your signature

Edited by Shot