New bank account change of rules

Not doubting you, but every site I've read about getting a non-o for retirement from Penang says you have to have the 800k in a Thai bank account (hence the catch-22 situation [emoji20]).

Perhaps that's outdated information from before the bank account rules where tightened. After all, it was my local immigration office that advised me to go there in order to get out of the catch-22. But, then, of course, things may have changed again.

2.2 Other documents that show the name of the customer e.g. a document
                 showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a 
                 condominium

The only thing I have here in my name is my bike, wonder if they would be happy with that ???

On 20/09/2016 at 10:36 AM, Pib said:

Gosh, I see a similarly worded post every few months.  There is no new "law."   Opening a bank account is based upon the policies the bank you apply at have in effect.   And even branches with the same bank family will vary as to how receptive they are to opening accounts for foreigners....seems some branches just don't want farang accounts.    Try another K-bank branch....try a branch with another bank....just keep trying different branches but don't mention a previous branch turned you down.

Just to quote from the Bangkok Bank webpage as to foreigner account opening requirements which generally reflect he polices of all Thai banks:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

Capture.JPG

See below the auntie google translation from Thai, it differs from their English translation

Foreign

1. Personal foreigners with work permit (Work Permit).

• Passport (Passport)
  • Work Permits (Work Permit).

2. Personal foreigners without a work permit (Work Permit).

• Passport (Passport) account opening documentation with the 

certificate issued by 2.1.
        • Embassies or international organizations
        • International agencies such as the certificate of a pension from the government 
          abroad.
        • Bank of opening an account in a foreign country through SWIFT.
        • Bank officials as trusted individuals, government officials, corporate executives, private banking clients.
        • Educational institutions, public and private. It is located in a bank trust.
        • The Bank as a reliable work certificate from the company's customers. If the customer is in the application for a work permit and no Work Permit.

2.2 Other documents with the names of customers, as documents showing ownership of the property. Contracts to buy 
            or sell units.

• 1 month later...

Listen to Pib's advice above:  There is no "new rule." It's just the Thai banks being Thai banks when it comes to foreigners.

Best bets are to avoid the Thai government owned banks and deal with the privates, usually, especially Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank. And remember, even if one branch or more tells you no, there's another that will tell you yes. Just bring all the appropriate documentation with you, and a Thai wife or GF never hurts.

As for BKK CW Immigration, they've been requiring seasoning of "combo method" bank funds for the past couple years. Combo method meaning when you use a combination of Thai bank deposits AND consulate-certified monthly income to meet their 800,000 baht requirement for retirement extensions of stay. No new rule there either, though Immigration hasn't done a very good job in communicating their change (at least in BKK) on that policy.

• 3 months later...

If you don't have a Thai bank account, there is no way that a foreigner could get a visa based on retirement. There is obviously no law that prohibits a foreigner from opening a bank account.

5 minutes ago, Gary A said:

If you don't have a Thai bank account, there is no way that a foreigner could get a visa based on retirement. There is obviously no law that prohibits a foreigner from opening a bank account.

Sure you can...you get a income letter from your home country embassy....lots of folks do it that way.  

That's the way I did my retirement visa/extension of stay for several years before switching to Bt800K in a Thai bank approach.

When it came time to open a bank account, the procedure was as follows:

Bank a: You need a Thai guarantor.

Bank b: Not without a yellow house book.

Bank c: You must have a work permit.

Bank d: Come in, sit down, how can we help? That was 3 years ago and I've been very happy with Krungsri ever since.

It seems nothing ever changes around here.

A good friend of mine retired here. He wanted a bank account and the banks refused. I took him to immigration in Jomtien and we explained the situation to them and asked how he could have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank with no account. The immigration officer wrote a note in Thai on a piece of paper and told my friend to give it to the bank. My friend gave the bank teller the note and within 15 minutes he had an account and an ATM card.

On 2/19/2017 at 0:51 PM, Blue bruce said:

50 U.S dollars 

Anyone know the cost of getting a certification of residence from the UK embassy? I'm informed by the bank I can open the account with this document along with a non o/a visa. 

Additionally, does anyone know the cost of the affidavit of income letter used for retirement visa extensions, also from the UK embassy.

20 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Anyone know the cost of getting a certification of residence from the UK embassy? I'm informed by the bank I can open the account with this document along with a non o/a visa. 

Additionally, does anyone know the cost of the affidavit of income letter used for retirement visa extensions, also from the UK embassy.

Notarial and documentary services for Thailand

How to obtain a pension income letter for Thai Immigration

On 2/19/2017 at 10:24 PM, Moonlover said:

Bank d: Come in, sit down, how can we help? That was 3 years ago and I've been very happy with Krungsri ever since.

I have just been through this. Asked for work permit, No have, no account. Never even asked for my visa (all other banks demanded a long term visa).

Then next bank asked to see marriage certificate - did that. Oh, need blue book - did that. Oh need Yellow book. They just keep asking for another document. Finally at 5th Bank attempt, after a 5 minute pleasant chat and an explanation of why i do not have the yellow book (corruption), she accepted my driving licence as proof of Thai address. Result! But i pity a Newbie trying to open an account.

A good friend of mine retired here. He wanted a bank account and the banks refused. I took him to immigration in Jomtien and we explained the situation to them and asked how he could have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank with no account. The immigration officer wrote a note in Thai on a piece of paper and told my friend to give it to the bank. My friend gave the bank teller the note and within 15 minutes he had an account and an ATM card.

Shame you don't still have the Thai written note !

Seems like you could make a tidy profit selling copies to frustrated TV members . [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm [emoji4]

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, rickudon said:

I have just been through this. Asked for work permit, No have, no account. Never even asked for my visa (all other banks demanded a long term visa).

Then next bank asked to see marriage certificate - did that. Oh, need blue book - did that. Oh need Yellow book. They just keep asking for another document. Finally at 5th Bank attempt, after a 5 minute pleasant chat and an explanation of why i do not have the yellow book (corruption), she accepted my driving licence as proof of Thai address. Result! But i pity a Newbie trying to open an account.

Thanks for this. I would just like to point out that at the time of my experience, I was a newbie. I'd only been here about 2 weeks. I do think, however that having my Thai wife with me at the time helped to smooth the process. (Well - eventually!)

On 2/19/2017 at 10:24 PM, Moonlover said:

went to 3 banks on Monday 2 said no way to open an account krung Thai, ( wife has account there) and Kasikorn ( wife has account and i am on a joint account) then Krungsri ( no accounts there) yes no problem,  documents i had, letter from Mataphut immigration,(500 baht) wife house book, wife ID card, marriage certificate, walked out with bank book, atm card, declined internet banking. very helpful staff new building, parking underneath, not busy. another Australian guy came in same docs as me no problems for him wither, he had also been refused at 2 other banks in Ban Chang.

edit on non imm 'O' visa

Edited by steve187

• 4 months later...

I opened a account at the Bangkok Bank with a Tourist visa - see #2 at the following link.

(A Thai friend working for the government 'recommended' me to the Bank - 

• Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Account.aspx