Prawit rules out massive flooding like in 2011

webfact

Prawit rules out massive flooding like in 2011

The Nation 

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan Monday ruled out the country being hit by massive flooding like what happened in 2011.

He said the authorities had efficient and systematic water manage for handling water flows from the North to the central plains.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Prawit-rules-out-massive-flooding-like-in-2011-30296201.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-09-26

So a good chance of flooding like in 2011?

"He said the authorities had efficient and systematic water manage for handling water flows from the North to the central plains"

Locals might buy that but mother nature is not for sale. And mother nature doesn't care how high so you are. It works indiscriminately. 

Well of course, but it has nothing to do with anything the junta has, hasn't, might or might not do.

• Rainfall in March 2011 over northern Thailand was 344% above the mean. 
  • Bhumibol Dam in particular received 242.8 mm of rain, well above the normal 25.2 mm.
  • Since 1 January the dam had accumulated 245.9 mm, 216.0 mm or 186% above normal.
  • The monsoons that started in May and brought the highest levels of rainfall in Thailand in the previous 50 years.
  • Major flooding began as Tropical Storm Nock-ten raged through 14 northern provinces, killing 7, from 31 July. 
  • At the end of September 2011 Bhumibol Dam and Sirikit Dam were 97% and 99% full respectively.

There is a vast difference between the starting point in 2001 and this year's starting point, and it has zero to do with the junta's management.

Bangkok will flood, that's a given, but, no, it won't be as bad as 2011/2012. That being said I'm curious to see how the junta handles the floods it's going to get...

1 hour ago, jamesbrock said:

Bangkok will flood, that's a given, but, no, it won't be as bad as 2011/2012. That being said I'm curious to see how the junta handles the floods it's going to get...

Any water that dares to inundate the streets of Bangkok will be taken for immediate AA.

Edited by Enoon

if it does flood i wonder if he will be bought up on charges of mismanagement.

Nope. The dinos have granted themselves the mother of all amnesties. You know, the very thing they used as an excuse for yet another coup.

1 minute ago, Jimbo2014 said:

He said to them, "Why are you afraid, you men of little faith?" Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the sea, and it became perfectly calm. The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?".... Prayuth 8:26-27

Mighty Mouse

35 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Mouth open....foot inside it !   He has no idea if BKK will flood or not unless he is some kind of magician.   Mother Nature will make all the relevant decisions !

Mr. Small mind is not thinking of global warming and the fast sinking of Bangkok. The next big flood could be from the sea. Mother nature rules.

2 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

As a comparison, Bhumibol dam is currently at 43% capacity.

bhumibol.jpg

and Sirikit is at 74%.

sirikit.jpg

The other major difference is that Bhumipol dam is already discharging heavily, causing some low level flooding, in anticipation of the coming inflow.

Edited by halloween

Who in there right mind would believe anything this  lunatic delivers , the only man who was severely chastised by the assistant UN  secretary , DMP Pawtwit then picked the eye's out of the reprimand and made out the UN approved the Junta take over , it will flood in BKK like it does every year...................................................:coffee1:

1 hour ago, halloween said:

The other major difference is that Bhumipol dam is already discharging heavily, causing some low level flooding, in anticipation of the coming inflow.

I'd say, in my ignorance, that if any dam should be discharging, it is the Sirikit - it's closer to capacity, and rising far more rapidly than the Bhumibol. 

Edit: But I'm sure they are spooked by the failures of the RID in 2011 by not discharging enough water early enough to cope with the monsoonal rains.

In June and July they were discharging on average 4.5 million m3/day from Bhumibol, after Tropical Storm Nock Ten hit on 31 July they increased the discharge to an average 22 million m3/day. In September this increased again to 26 million m3/day (avg), and, again in October, they were discharging 77 million m3/day (avg).

From Sirikit, the discharge rates averaged 54 million m3/day from August 1 to October 14, five times more than in June and July.

Edited by jamesbrock

I was told that the flooding in 2011 was due to holding water back in order not to lose a rice crop to flooding. Had the dams been relieved earlier there would have been time for water to drain at a rate which the river could handle. I was surprised that they arrested the flooding at the canal South of Chatuchak. They know what they are doing and since my place didn't flood I can afford to believe him.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

15 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I was told that the flooding in 2011 was due to holding water back in order not to lose a rice crop to flooding. Had the dams been relieved earlier there would have been time for water to drain at a rate which the river could handle. I was surprised that they arrested the flooding at the canal South of Chatuchak. They know what they are doing and since my place didn't flood I can afford to believe him.

Yes, that is apparently the case. Director of the RID Hydrology Department, Suthep Noipairoj, said at the time that they reduced dam discharge from April because agricultural lands downstream were already flooded.

They just weren't prepared for the La Nina-enhanced monsoons and tropical storms.

A friend lives on the Ping river north of Lampang and in his 30+ years here he has never seen the Ping so flooded for such a long time. The Ping flows straight into the Wang river which then flows into the Chayo Praya river and it doesn't flow into the Bhumibol or Sirikit Dams as they are further upstream. Its all heading straight for Bangkok on mass so are the Bangkok flood defenses going to hold out? Its anyones guess.

Meanwhile in the real world:

In central Thailand, the Chao Phraya River burst its banks and has thousands of homes set up to half a meter under water. The Irrigation Department is concerned that more areas are flooded. In the district of Bang Ban Ayutthaya 11,000 people have been affected by the floods, the provincial government reported flooding in 204 villages.

Chances are- the famous fat lady in the opera turns out to be "Mother Nature"...

Edited by Lupatria

29 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

In central Thailand, the Chao Phraya River burst its banks and has thousands of homes set up to half a meter under water. The Irrigation Department is concerned that more areas are flooded. In the district of Bang Ban Ayutthaya 11,000 people have been affected by the floods, the provincial government reported flooding in 204 villages.

Chances are- the famous fat lady in the opera is "Mother Nature"...

Not year anything like 2011

39 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Chances are- the famous fat lady in the opera turns out to be "Mother Nature"...

If you were in the floods of 2011 you will know it was totally different.  204 villages is peanuts compared to back then. I do pity those people though.