RAF Aerobatic Display Team to Visit Thailand

ThaiKneeTim

26 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Well worth the time, trouble and expense to go see this brilliant display by the RAF Red Arrows.

I have never seen them fly. Wonder if any are related to the Heroes from the Battle of Britain ?

I'm not a Brit; but they saved your country. True Heroes.

I wonder why they would be in Thailand on Nov 11 th ? Remembrance Day.  Better back in England, where they

are appreciated. But I will go, to see them. Hope for Clear sky and safe flights for all pilots.

Only seen the USA Blue Angels and Canada Snow Birds; both groups are excellent.

15 minutes ago, bark said:

I have never seen them fly. Wonder if any are related to the Heroes from the Battle of Britain ?

I wonder why they would be in Thailand on Nov 11 th ? Remembrance Day.  Better back in England, where they

are appreciated. But I will go, to see them. Hope for Clear sky and safe flights for all pilots.

In the UK I believe planes from the WW2 era do that stuff...."The Memorial Flight".

A Spitfire, a Hurricane and a Lancaster bomber...

Edited by transam

Just now, transam said:

In the UK I believe planes from the WW2 era do that stuff...."The Memorial Flight".

Ok, I understand. Good that they do. Thank u.

Nov. 11 th. Is my day to remember my Father and one of my Uncle's who fought for the freedom we have now.

Not many left,for the Great Generation.

Salute to all of them.

Brings back delightful memories.  I used to know a couple of the chaps from the team in the 60's.  They had only just taken the name 'Red Arrows'.  Used to be the Black ? (Devils I think).  Saw them a few times at Farnborough.  Wish I could be in HH.  I'm getting quite melancholic  (at 8 am), thinking about the fun times I had living in London.  

I have seen many times the Patrouille de France.  Pretty good too.  I think most of these acrobatic teams are tops.

Gillyflower, the team you are thinking of is the Black Arrows who flew Hawker Hunters until about 1961 when they dispanded. In 1963 an informal group from the Flying Training School at RAF Valley formed the Yellow Jacks team flying Folland Gnats. The heirarchy however dissaproved of this group, so, to formalise things in 1965, they were dispanded and reformed as the Red Arrows Flying Display Team.

9 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

Brings back delightful memories.  I used to know a couple of the chaps from the team in the 60's.  They had only just taken the name 'Red Arrows'.  Used to be the Black ? (Devils I think).  Saw them a few times at Farnborough.  Wish I could be in HH.  I'm getting quite melancholic  (at 8 am), thinking about the fun times I had living in London.  

I have seen many times the Patrouille de France.  Pretty good too.  I think most of these acrobatic teams are tops.

They used to be called the Black Arrows and were 111 Sqn of the RAF.

They were the first and only display team to perform a loop with 22 aircraft, Hawker Hunters at the SBAC air show at Farnborough in 1958. They also were the first to do a barrel roll with 16 aircraft.

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

They used to be called the Black Arrows and were 111 Sqn of the RAF.

They were the first and only display team to perform a loop with 22 aircraft, Hawker Hunters at the SBAC air show at Farnborough in 1958. They also were the first to do a barrel roll with 16 aircraft.

Seen the Red Arrows many times in UK (met the Team Leader many years ago ...  my Father was in the RAF - used to fly a Hunter amongst other jet fighters).  Never get tired of watching them display - will be heading to Hua Hin for sure.  My Dad used to get the display details and tell us where to sit on the beach to get the best view. 

I remember when they used the Gnat before the Hawk.  The Gnat made a better noise!  I was just searching for a photo of a Gnat and found one for sale.  A snip at $365,000.

28 minutes ago, Familyonthemove said:

Seen the Red Arrows many times in UK (met the Team Leader many years ago ...  my Father was in the RAF - used to fly a Hunter amongst other jet fighters).  Never get tired of watching them display - will be heading to Hua Hin for sure.  My Dad used to get the display details and tell us where to sit on the beach to get the best view. 

I remember when they used the Gnat before the Hawk.  The Gnat made a better noise!  I was just searching for a photo of a Gnat and found one for sale.  A snip at $365,000.

I used to work on the Hunters of 54 Sqn at West Raynham from 1966 to 68 and on the Hunters of 20 Sqn at Tengah in Singapore in 1969/70.

Lovely aircraft to work on.

4 hours ago, bark said:

The link takes you to a page where it explains why. Basically it's part of a sales mission, the Typhoon is the aircraft they need to sell outside the collaborative states, but the Hawk trainer will be highlighted too.

I used to see the Red Arrows regularly when I did recruiting at the RAF Town Shows, and support at several RIAT airshows at RAF Fairford, it got to the point where I stopped watching them. Now I rarely see them and miss their fantastic displays. 

Edited by ThaiKneeTim
Add additional content.

6 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Hope the Thai Air Force do not try to copy them the next day as a "face" thing.:smile:

In reality I have no idea how good (or otherwise) the RTAF is at aerobatics.

Conservative.

Blue Phoenix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf8X_jHPTBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxzL6lQ-Bg0

4 hours ago, transam said:

the Thai's would have to scrape together a Ki43 and a Hawk75

but to be in the air at the same time, and maintain historical reference:

- they'd have to try a mock-shooting-down the Spitfire and Hurricane

1 hour ago, Familyonthemove said:

There is a static Gnat on display at Cotswold Airport  (formally RAF Kemble).

4 minutes ago, ThaiKneeTim said:

The link takes you to a page where it explains why. Basically it's part of a sales mission, the Typhoon is the aircraft they need to sell outside the collaborative states, but the Hawk trainer will be highlighted too.

OK, thank.

Thailand has already been buying a plane from Sweden for the past 5 years.

Will the Brit pay money under the table; to whoever is doing the buying ?

Best plane of its day was made in WW2 by England. Spitfire. My opinion.

And I'm not British.

4 minutes ago, bark said:

OK, thank.

And I'm not British.

The new UK anti Bribery Act makes paying, receiving, knowing about and not saying anything all criminal acts. So I doubt they'll be looking at under the table payments.

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

The new UK anti Bribery Act makes paying, receiving, knowing about and not saying anything all criminal acts. So I doubt they'll be looking at under the table payments.

I think FIFA also has this law ?

2 minutes ago, bark said:

I think FIFA also has this law ?

Nope. FIFA isn't a body entitled to make laws. It has rules and regulations which appear wholly inappropriate, rarely enforced, and that don't seem to apply to the senior or previous senior people.

The Swiss police are still investigating to see if Swiss Law has been breached which then might result in criminal charges.

Siemens were fined for bribery in Asia not so long ago and their defense of "everyone else does it" didn't wash. Most EU countries and the EU itself have strict rules on bribery and also public sector procurement. The Swedish military were forced to cancel a contract awarded to supply helicopters when a losing bidder successfully challenged the process.

Europe takes this seriously, as does the US and the recent strengthening of legislation shows how much still goes on.

Thanks Bild and Planemad        I meant to add in my post that I remember them telling me that the team  changed names fairly often.  I just had a look at Wikipedia and I see that is so.

I shared a bedsit with a girl who manned the bar at a RAF Officer's Club in Bayswater - I think it was the Gremlin - and when she went on holidays she got me to take over so she wouldn't lose the job.  When I think about it, I knew quite a lot of them.  Obviously I mean the team of the moment.  There were a lot of parties, but they were reasonably sober boys.  I THINK.

I have just skimmed through some of the latest posts.  What the hell does the FIFA (isn't that football?) have to do with the RAF Aerobatic Team??????  THIS is WAY off topic.  I'm quite annoyed.

3 hours ago, bark said:

OK, thank.

And I'm not British.

A well liked but overhyped aircraft. It was the Hurricane that did the real defending in the BoB

Does anyone know the venue for the RAFAT display. Clearly Hua Hin has been selected

in order to draw out the Bangkokian weekenders and, I assume, that the aircraft will operate from Hua Hin Airport.

Logic says that their display should be offshore on a main beach to allow maximum spectators.

Off shore is good because the toxic aerosol mix of diesel fuel and dyes can fall in droplets onto the sea and flavour the fish instead of onto my car:)

On 30/9/2559 at 6:51 PM, PETERTHEEATER said:

A well liked but overhyped aircraft. It was the Hurricane that did the real defending in the BoB

Tell that quote to all the German Bomber Pilots at the bottom of the English Channel .

Anyway, still 70 years later I salute all pilots all Allied countries.

On 9/30/2016 at 3:06 PM, bark said:

And I'm not British.

Mosquito (and I am!) :)

Back on topic; One of Saddam's 'Guest News' prisoners (Aug-Dec 90) was a techie for the Red Arrows before being seconded to the Kuwaitis. We later served together in the joint-services dive team @ RAF Odiham which ultimately lead me here.

Edited by evadgib

On September 30, 2559 BE at 10:53 AM, transam said:

The real star of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight is the 'Lanc'. Terrific airplane.