Hollande pays tribute at site of Charlie Hebdo siege

webfact

Hollande pays tribute at site of Charlie Hebdo siege

606x341_345291.jpg

PARIS: -- French President Francois Hollande has unveiled a plaque at a printing company north of Paris where the Charlie Hebdo attackers went into hiding before they were killed during a police siege.

The factory is re-opening for the first time since it was damaged during the standoff between police and the gunmen in January, 2015.

What happened at Charlie Hebdo?

Charlie Hebdo, a satirical publication known for its covers ridiculing political and religious leaders, lost many of its top editorial staff when two Islamist militants broke into an editorial meeting on January 7, 2015 and opened fire.

The attacks prompted a worldwide solidarity movement.

The “Je Suis Charlie” (I am Charlie) slogan went viral on social media.

What happened at the printing company?

After a two-day manhunt, police cornered the escaped Charlie Hebdo gunmen, brothers Said and Cherif Kouachi, in the printing company premises near the town of Dammartin-en-Goele.

The HyperCacher supermarket

Another militant murdered a police officer the next day and took hostages at the HyperCacher supermarket on January 9, 2015.

Four people died. The hostage-taker was shot dead.

The week of attacks on Charlie Hebdo, police and the kosher supermarket claimed the lives of 17 people.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-30

1 hour ago, Cuchulainn said:

I think I got the wrong end of the stick here in posting my previous comment. I thought Hollande was unveiling a plaque where only the terrorists were killed and no innocents reporters or by standers.

Thanks for correcting that.  I almost deleted the post as being very insensitive.