Is Thailands view on Foreigners really changing?

khunpa

2 hours ago, dbrenn said:

What do you expect from an ultra right wing military government. They are not keen on foreigners because they hate criticism, and their jingoistic nationalism trickles down to the population.

The funny thing is how so many warped foreigners support the Junta, when they have such a disliking for foreigners. A bizarre case of Stockholm Syndrome.

A bit of a catch 22 for me. I dislike the Junta, but some of their actions were very beneficial to me personally. 

I do agree that their hate of criticism could have a trickle down effect. However, from speaking with Thai colleagues, many of them are very unhappy with the current status quo but holding their tongues until the big change happens. At that time, I think you will find that there will be greater openness and less nationalism and xenophobia. At least I hope that is the case. 

1 hour ago, RawboneFunksta said:

More and more I think Thais will come to realise that westerners are generally respectful and appreciative of Thailand and while we may not need to adopt all of the cultural behaviours we see here (I'm never going to grovel or even wai) we at least attempt to understand Thai people somewhat. There may be some examples of farang crime but they are pretty rare outside of pattaya.

I think they already know that farangs are generally respectful and appreciative of Thailand and their culture, BUT that does not pay the bills... and most of the population here will not give us a second thought when they start getting the money from the Chinese. 

Yes, it has changed.

You notice the same changes you see as they have been in the past in other areas of the world.

As well the current administration is implementing rules and regulation in a compressed time that Thailand should have implemented long time ago to meet the international standards.

This change that most of us notice is making Making Thailand a less attractive place to be. 

Besides that, you see also the new Ritch and these new Ritch have the same or even worse attitude as their counterparts in the Western world. And also notice the Thai mentally and view on the Thai. They look down on each other and see the Thai with lesser money and assets as servants or even lesser than that. Showing the real views on things that normally is hidden behind the smile.

Thailand is beeing 'upgraded' and will overshoot for a while like all the other did in the past too.

Edited by Autonuaq
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

I really don't know, but if you are talking about laws/rule enforcement,

The Army now Police the Police .

Previously the Police were a law unto themselves .

Laws , rules and regulations were routinely flouted, as long as the right people were paid off .

That has all changed, yeah, it probably still goes on, but it is being clamped down upon .

The illegal buildings are being torn down, the buildings which were allowed to be built at the time , possible with brown envelopes changing hands in gov offices .

Bars are now having to conform with laws and regulations .

Top Policeman and Government officials have been moved to inactive posts for alleged malpractices.

Illegal loggers , who logged with impunity have been clamped down upon .

The list is endless, and there is still a long way to go 

• Confused 1

Wth modern communication ordinary people even of the"lowest order" can switch on their phones and see how "The other half, The well off people" live.

this causes envy and leads to resentment.

Not much the older generations will do about it, but it does stir up the upcoming younger generations who want a slice of the pie.

this is happening worldwide not just Thailand, but mix in Thai temperament and you have a pressure cooker on the boil

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

Positive Changes? Do you mean things like mass surveillance, public lecturing of people the leader doesn't like at that particular point in time, 40 year jail sentences for crimes of nothing more than posting some comments on Facebook, proposed decriminalization of methamphemine, inconsistent sentencing of offenders based on society connections, the inability to find the people behind the ongoing bomb blasts, or the arrest of foreigners not guilty of any crime except that China requested Thailand because they don't like the message of criticism against China.

Oh yeah there's a lot of positive changes!

Mass public surveillance is just a sign of the times, it is happening the World over and it isnt happening because of the Junta in power .

The Les Majeste laws have been in place since before the Junta came into power.

The proposal of legalising MDMA is just a proposal, which is just a proposal , its very unlikely to be passed as a law .

Connected people being able to evade the law has also been going on prior to the Junta taking charge , although since the Junta took over , connected people evading the law is being clamped down upon, although there is a long way to go to completely eradicate it .

There are instances of people who set off bombs not being caught in many places in the World, it isnt unique to Thailand

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dbrenn said:

What do you expect from an ultra right wing military government. They are not keen on foreigners because they hate criticism, and their jingoistic nationalism trickles down to the population.

The funny thing is how so many warped foreigners support the Junta, when they have such a disliking for foreigners. A bizarre case of Stockholm Syndrome.

I don't see that the military government is negative against foreigners, I don't see that they are ultra right wing and I don't see that what you think is trickling down to the population. Sorry but I don't see that Thai's see the military government the way you do either

The Thai's see the military government as discipline freaks :smile: Now they're even clearing the pavements of street vendors so that people can walk on them, what a stupid idea, where am I going to have my lunch then? Good or bad? Many Thai's think it is bad

I think the changes we see mainly are driven by discipline, not ultra right wing, not anti-foreign

They "stopped" westerners teaching but they never did of course, they only enforced that teachers must have degrees in education to get a work permit. Bad? Anti foreign? Not quite. They made it difficult for foreigners staying in Thailand on visa runs forever. Why? Because most of the people who do this are engaging in illegal activity = they work without work permit. Bad?

Do they always get it right? Certainly not. They ordered restaurants off beaches but missed that they were the ones keeping the beaches clean so now beaches are dirty instead

We see at work that corruption really is down, now that is really good. I agree with sanemax.

There is good and bad with everything though

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Like 2

I think Thailand is much the same now as it was when I first came here to stay about eleven years ago, I am not deliberately

Thai bashing, but the way I see it, the Thai authorities frown on anything that will be advantageous to expats wanting to work or retire here.

They always seem to want to make things harder for us, not letting us own land or homes, condos excepted, they could limit the amount of

land we could own to just two or three rye, which would stop foreigners from buying up lots of land, they could give us expats permanent residence

after we prove that we are good citizens and contributers to their economy after say ten years. There are many more examples.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

They made it difficult for foreigners staying in Thailand on visa runs forever.

Although it is still quite possible to stay in Thailand on tourist visas.

They did clamp down on people staying in Thailand long term on Visa Exempt Stamps , But that did make a mockery of the whole Thai Visa system .

Why bother getting a tourist visa, retirement visa or anything else, when you could just step across a border and come straight back with no need to get any kind of visa.

I used to live in Thailand for three years on VES , and its caused me hardship to get proper visas, but all the same I thoroughly understand and agree with why they did it

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

Therein lies the problem. They don't like change and don't want change, so how will they ever progress?

Is progress more important than being happy and proud?

I thought so when I came here 25 years ago but I slowly changed my mind actually

• Like 2

17 hours ago, khunpa said:

I agree that the general population properly feels very much the same. At least towards Farangs. With other foreigners the issue might be different.

However, I worry if this might change due to the signals from above. After all, Thais seem pretty easy to convince to just follow the flow. 

One thing I do not understand, is that a country being so exposed to tourists for so many years, still can be so afraid of the outside world.

I don't think there is any problem with the majority of the Thai population, in general the people are fine (as long as most of them are not driving or riding motorbikes) helpful people, very few Thai people have ever given me any problem like back in Scotland.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Yes its changing,not sure if the general population feel any different to Farangs,

but the Thai Government seems to be very Xenophobic ,when I first came here

90 day reporting was a law,but never enforced,now it seems every week there's

a change,and not for the better ,how many times do they need to know where we

live,yearly extension, 90 days report,the new Immigration form,the form the Police

want you to fill in,TM28,TM30, don't know what they will come up with next, 

"Good guys in ,Bad guys out",but it seems like we are all been treated like potential

criminals.

regards worgeordie

Yes, your last bit of your post is spot on, the ridiculous ninety day reporting proves that.

9 hours ago, starky said:

This may sound like utter nonsense but is it possible the Thai people have just had enough. I get the feeling from most of the Thais I know that they are very disillusioned and uncertain about their future. There is something looming on the horizon that will change Thailand irrevocably and they are terribly oppressed. They are not allowed to express their feelings towards government, the army the police and are now living in a state where they can be arrested for a Facebook post. So maybe it's not necessarily aimed at falangs per se but as they have no one else they can lash out or show their displeasure towards perhaps we are the easiest target. Or perhaps I'm full of shit and nothing here is ever gonna change.

I think there is a lot of sense in what you say.

One of the things that affects Thai people greatly that is never mentioned is debt. I often read in newspapers that household debt in Thailand is exploding.  A lot of this plays into the capitalist West's need to display how much the poor are being 'lifted out of poverty' in developing countries. They can say wages have increased but they fail to mention so has debt. So the average Thai might not be better off and that leaves the average Somchai pi**ed off.

In the west we've been through this cycle.. And just like in the West problems such as these lend themselves to groups (right wingers in the West) to exploit xenophobia. As prices rise and debt burden becomes unbearable to some Thais, they naturally look for something to blame / explain their situation. Blaming the rich is easy. Farangs are perceived as rich. Easy explaination for them. Just like we do in the West.

I've not been in Thailand long so I cannot say I notice a difference. Maybe the people who have been here years can see it but my 1.5 years doesn't count as its a drop in the bucket of the big picture. I feel the Thais treat me very good. I've left my wallet at a 7-11 and when I went back the girl was waving her hand to give me my wallet. A shop keeper ran after me when I left my phone. My Thai language teacher helped my shop around different hospitals when I needed an angioplasty. Lots of good things to be said for the people. But, as in the West, there are institutions that exploit peoples weaknesses.

• Like 1

I understand and appreciate your viewpoints...if u live in a hellhole like Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket u will meet people unfriendly to farangs...if u get outta the cities, u will find a whole different world out here!

You are living in the wrong area. I live in a non tourist town with virtually no farangs and there is no hostility to me at all based on me being a farang. Nasty people are nasty to everyone.

I am visiting Pattaya, and the attitude towards farangs is significantly harder than even 4 years ago.

I don't like it at all.

IMO it's become all about money now, and sanuk has gone.

However, same applies to my home country. It's just about money and status now. Not as nice a place to live as it used to be, IMO.

2 hours ago, Surasak said:

Therein lies the problem. They don't like change and don't want change, so how will they ever progress?

Why is progress a good thing? Progress has given us children that think it's OK to stick their face in a machine all day, progress gave us the 1%, progress gave us the ME wars and the exploitation of Africa.

You can keep your progress.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

They are not afraid of the outside world at all

They are just proud of what they are and don't want it to change

And to be overly proud (nationalistic)  and to refuse acknowledgement of the cultures of surrounding countries is a good thing? 

6 minutes ago, red roger said:

And to be overly proud (nationalistic)  and to refuse acknowledgement of the cultures of surrounding countries is a good thing? 

It think before words like "International Trade" and "Global Economy" was invented, it might have been a good thing.

The boss of North Korea at least says, they can do well without others. Maybe he is right and all other countries are just stupid.

Edited by khunpa

9 minutes ago, red roger said:

What culture from surrounding Countries do Thais refuse to acknowledge?

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What culture from surrounding Countries do Thais refuse to acknowledge?

I've always found it weird that there are so few Malaysian/Singaporean restaurants in Thailand, for example. There are many Thai restaurants in those nations. There are more Malaysian/Singaporean restaurants in the typical large U.S. city than in Bangkok. It's a really wonderful, interesting, distinctive cuisine in a bordering nation. It's bizarre to me really. Imagine the USA without Mexican restaurants. OK, very few Canadian ones, but that's because the national cuisines are so similar. Thai food and Malaysian/Singaporean are very different. I find that an interesting clue about Thai attitudes towards their close neighbors. 

• Like 1

No other country in the world makes it as easy to enter and stay to live as Thailand.  

In fact, farang are treated far better in Thailand than any Thai or non-white person would be in western countries.  

How many western countries would let people enter and live so easily?

• Like 1

Just now, nemrut said:

No other country in the world makes it as easy to enter and stay to live as Thailand.  

In fact, farang are treated far better in Thailand than any Thai or non-white person would be in western countries.  

How many western countries would let people enter and live so easily?

Cambodia isn't easier?