Taking cash out.

Maybe things have changed over the years but I worked in Thailand for a number of years before the economy crashed. I had accepted a job in the US. I closed out my Thai bank account and had the bank give me a cashiers check made out to my US bank and I endorsed it "for deposit to my account only". I had no problem.

5 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Not possible in THB terms, other currencies yes.

ummm, well that was the old story...

but now!!!

https://www.cashpassport.com.au/features/currencies/

I hope this is consistent, from other countries point of view?

If it is all as it seems, then the world is now an Expat's oyster;

- there will be no holding back,

and LOS can't do anything about it - unless they were to Ban all foreign Debit cards in toto

Edited by tifino

41 minutes ago, tifino said:

ummm, well that was the old story...

but now!!!

https://www.cashpassport.com.au/features/currencies/

I hope this is consistent, from other countries point of view?

If it is all as it seems, then the world is now an Expat's oyster;

- there will be no holding back,

and LOS can't do anything about it - unless they were to Ban all foreign Debit cards in toto

I think what that link says and BOT regulations would support this views, is that customers can load up a card outside of Thailand, in THB and spend that currency in Thailand. It does not say that customers can load up the card with THB and spend those Baht outside Thailand, after all, where else would they spend THB except in Thailand.

FWIW THB is not a freely convertible currency.

6 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I think what that link says and BOT regulations would support this views, is that customers can load up a card outside of Thailand, in THB and spend that currency in Thailand. It does not say that customers can load up the card with THB and spend those Baht outside Thailand, after all, where else would they spend THB except in Thailand.

FWIW THB is not a freely convertible currency.

I have, and have had over the past year of world travel, 10 different currencies.

I am keeping the Card alive, even after returning home, and can/have freely changed currencie amounts between all of my Currencies

Thai can be manipulated/transferred freely, with any other Currency that you have loaded onto the card.

You can be anywhere in the world, at any time, and you can add / transfer/ and deleted currencies, on the fly.

Spending THB outside LOS:

you designate your Default currency, which can be altered whenever you require. If you don't have the Currency of the next country that you have landed in (for example I had Euro, but had just driven into Sweden:

The Card's organisation works it's way down your list of loaded currencies (if the Default curency is already at 0$. If THB is the only one left, it will convert and drwa from the THB fund

it all works like magic

Edited by tifino

1 minute ago, tifino said:

I have, and have had over the past year of world travel, 10 different currencies.

I am keeping the Card alive, even after returning home, and can/have freely changed currencie amounts between all of my Currencies

Thai can be manipulated/transferred freely, with any other Currency that you have loaded onto the card.

You can be anywhere in the world, at any time, and you can add / transfer/ and deleted currencies, on the fly

So which other countries do you spend Thai Baht in, apart from Thailand?

6 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

So which other countries do you spend Thai Baht in, apart from Thailand?

actually I have just been addressing this point, in the earlier Post, as an Edit

The Default Currency, is the one you designate for Uploading your Deposits to.

This is mply done:

Go to a Travelex etc to deposit your THB. It will be converted into your desired currency, from the List of currencies that the Cash passport is capable of holding as  designated currency. There is a handling cost invloved in doing it over the counter

Do it online, transferring it from your personal bank account. This is practical, as no one can stop you from depositing THB into your local bamnk account.

Edited by tifino

Just now, tifino said:

actually I have just been addressing this point, in the earlier Post, as an Edit

You are not spending THB outside of Thailand hence you are not exporting that currency, BOT does not allow you to so don't try and persuade us otherwise!

What I believe you probably have is a card that gives you the ability to do real time forex transactions between currencies of your choice rather than actually storing Thai Baht currency per se, the actual conversion from your payment currency to the currency you spend is of course done remotely, at seriously prohibitive conversion rates I suspect.

1 minute ago, chiang mai said:

You are not spending THB outside of Thailand hence you are not exporting that currency, BOT does not allow you to so don't try and persuade us otherwise!

What I believe you probably have is a card that gives you the ability to do real time forex transactions between currencies of your choice rather than actually storing Thai Baht currency per se, the actual conversion from your payment currency to the currency you spend is of course done remotely, at seriously prohibitive conversion rates I suspect.

the idea is to pick a good currency to convert your deposited THB into - a stable one is US, GBP, SGD etc etc

the good thing is that if , after you have deposited the THB, and the THB sometime later goes bad - then you won't suffer  (of course the opposite applies too

Isn't it a good thing, that you are not exporting actual THB? by going this way??

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If it is a foreign currency there is no limit if you declare it. If baht it is 50k baht.

See: http://en.customs.go.th/cont_strc_simple.php?lang=en&top_menu=menu_homepage&current_id=203

Interesting you are allowed to leave Thailand with US-$20,000. I always thought the limit departing from Europe/USA was 10,000 EUR/$.

The travelers bringing foreign currency more than USD 20,000 or its equivalent into or out of Thailand are required to make a report to Customs. This report is required by the Ministerial Regulation (No. 25) B.E. 2530 issued under the Authority of the Currency Exchange Control Act B.E. 2485 and relevant regulations.

4 minutes ago, tifino said:

the idea is to pick a good currency to convert your deposited THB into - a stable one is US, GBP, SGD etc etc

the good thing is that if , after you have deposited the THB, and the THB sometime later goes bad - then you won't suffer  (of course the opposite applies too

Isn't it a good thing, that you are not exporting actual THB? by going this way??

So on day one you load up your card with 10,000 baht and request access to Pounds, the rate at that time is 50 baht per Pound so they give you access to 200 Pounds

On day two the Pound crashes to 43 and you say, wait, no I've changed my mind, I didn't really want to do that, please can I have my Baht back again and they say sure, here's your 10,000 baht, really!

Regardless of the fantasy above, my sole point was to tell you that you can't export Thai Baht outside of Thailand except in nominal amounts to regional locations. You seem to have balked at that idea and now have confirmed that indeed you cannot. You have wasted fifteen minutes of my life and you get no more. Bye.

4 hours ago, chiang mai said:

So on day one you load up your card with 10,000 baht and request access to Pounds, the rate at that time is 50 baht per Pound so they give you access to 200 Pounds

On day two the Pound crashes to 43 and you say, wait, no I've changed my mind, I didn't really want to do that, please can I have my Baht back again and they say sure, here's your 10,000 baht, really!

Regardless of the fantasy above, my sole point was to tell you that you can't export Thai Baht outside of Thailand except in nominal amounts to regional locations. You seem to have balked at that idea and now have confirmed that indeed you cannot. You have wasted fifteen minutes of my life and you get no more. Bye.

there's some break in the train of thought somewhere within this...

i did type " (of course the opposite applies too "

so - if you had started with the 10000thb, and got 200gpb, and then at some time later the thb value drops, you still have your 200gbp. 

and if you were to cash that 200gbp out, the thb cash received would be 43/50*200=8600thb (less the approx 25thb for the cashout cost)

but words were put into my mouth. If you refer back to conditional comment a few lines above, you see I did never expect the '100000thb back in full.

I have been trying to relate the 2nd paragraph and it's relevance? to what my earlier post was all about.

But it's my fault I didnt make it clear at all, that I wasn't talking of ever changing it back to THB. It would have been spent in whatever other Currency (i.e.GBP) it was at the time of spending, around the other side of the world

exch rates do vary in an instant, and this risk is all part of the game.

Edited by tifino

I looked at the Cash  Passport web site and it is worth reading for those who, like me, want to move cash out of Thailand effortlessly. They charge for the service as does everyone providing alternative services but I can see a lot of advantages. 

18 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Interesting you are allowed to leave Thailand with US-$20,000. I always thought the limit departing from Europe/USA was 10,000 EUR/$.

The travelers bringing foreign currency more than USD 20,000 or its equivalent into or out of Thailand are required to make a report to Customs. This report is required by the Ministerial Regulation (No. 25) B.E. 2530 issued under the Authority of the Currency Exchange Control Act B.E. 2485 and relevant regulations.

See here for example for UK - https://www.gov.uk/bringing-cash-into-uk

I presume you meant the limit for reporting/declaring not a physical limit?