Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States - YES! We are here in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States - YES! We are here in Thailand

Veterans of Foreign Wars of the Unites States.jpg

The Veterans of Foreign Wars is active and seeking members. Simply put, the VFW strives to do good things for deserving people - our veterans, their families and their communities.

From local grassroots ideas to national influence, we work every day to make a difference. It's our strength as an organization. And, with each individual membership, we only grow stronger.

Come check us out and enjoy the camaraderie that comes with hanging out with other veterans.

The VFW has Posts throughout Thailand located in Chiang Mai, Udon Thani, Korat, Bangkok, Pattaya and Ban Chang.

There is also a VFW Post in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. 

Contact Ricky at  [email protected] to inquire about meetings, activities and membership.

Memorial Day U.S. Embassy.JPGVeterans Day US Embassy.JPG

(Hidden post removed)

Try this Mankon: http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article41086.htm 

As for the "Foreign" in VFW, that's just the name as it's always been (I think). 

But it's nice to know they are in Thailand. Funny, the website does not list anything outside the USA: http://www.vfw.org/. I'll have to visit the next time I'm in town...

In response to the suggestion for a name change:  There are specific reasons the name was chosen and remains:  (Citation:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_of_Foreign_Wars)

1.  The Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, Inc., is a federally chartered corporation formed on September 29, 1899 by Spanish–American War veterans of the 17th U.S. Infantry.[1]  Note:  Prior to that there was a little domestic dispute called the Civil War.  

2. Membership in the VFW is restricted to any active or honorably discharged officer or enlisted person who is a citizen of the United States and who has served in its armed forces "in any foreign war, insurrection or expedition, which service shall be recognized by the authorization or the issuance of a military campaign medal".[2]

3.  Many Americans served in the military during peacetime and many never deployed to a superfluous foreign location. 

"The Veterans of Foreign Wars is active and seeking members. Simply put, the VFW strives to do good things for deserving people - our veterans, their families and their communities."

Actually, "to do good things for deserving people - our WAR veterans, their families and their communities."

'Cold War veterans', i.e., those of us who served between the end of the Vietnam conflict and the start of the Iraq conflict #1,  have been pretty much shunned by both the Veteran's Administration and the VFW.  "But we were in a...'war' and you weren't"  Sure, but there was plenty going on between 1975 and 1990 that the average person will never know about. But shhhh.  Nothing happened officially.
"You're just a whiner."  No, I'm someone who put a significant part of my life into serving my country.  And what recognition do we get?  <laugh>
Thanks for nothing much gang.  But on the flip side, in true America style, we Cold War Veterans are doing fine without you or the VA.  :smile:

Connda.

Much respect to you.I am only sorry that you have been left feeling 'shunned'

Its a bitter pill to have to swallow.

I can only sympathize with you.I expect you lost many friends during those times.I wont say,i know how you feel because i dont and never will.I  am a Brit,and my two uncles served in ww2 and were captured by the Japanese. One was on the Burma march,and lived.My other uncle died in the camps building the railway known as Hell Fire pass.He was captured when Singapore fell.I never knew him,but having watched a movie called The Railway man,i can now imagine what he went through.

I have visited kanchanaburi many times over the years,and i never fail to feel horrified by the japanese museum there.

i took my wife the last time and even she was shoked.She had never been told in school about those times.

i can only say that i wish you well,and that you come to terms with your anger,one day.

KKD

VFW Post 9951 (Bangkok) , holds monthly meetings on the JUSMAG compound (near Lumpini MRT) every second Saturday starting at 11:00.  The Cafe' is open for breakfast before and lunch after the meeting.  The American Veterans Wife's Club also meets the same time and location.   The annual VFW Christmas Party is planned for 17 December and tickets available.  POC:  <<<<Email removed, please PM function to contact>>>>

4 hours ago, eye4get56 said:

In response to the suggestion for a name change:  There are specific reasons the name was chosen and remains:  (Citation:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_of_Foreign_Wars)

1.  The Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, Inc., is a federally chartered corporation formed on September 29, 1899 by Spanish–American War veterans of the 17th U.S. Infantry.[1]  Note:  Prior to that there was a little domestic dispute called the Civil War.  

2. Membership in the VFW is restricted to any active or honorably discharged officer or enlisted person who is a citizen of the United States and who has served in its armed forces "in any foreign war, insurrection or expedition, which service shall be recognized by the authorization or the issuance of a military campaign medal".[2]

3.  Many Americans served in the military during peacetime and many never deployed to a superfluous foreign location. 

Many serving in Korea after the war do not know they are eligible, just thought I'd throw that in there in case one is looking.

I'm a Marine veteran who served 79-83 and I also don't qualify to be a member of the VFW. However, I was able to join as an auxiliary member at the local chapter in Michigan and I was able to attend meetings and receive member discounts and they never made me feel like I'm less than they were. Veterans are veterans. We were all ready to defend our freedom at any time. Maybe those that served during peacetime would want to go that route if it's available in Thailand.

Amazing organization.  When I returned from 'Nam I looked into joining with them... no way!  Don't want any of those druggies from the 'Nam!  Then they realized that their membership were dying off from old age and the like... and the tune changed dramatically.

Have a great time guys!

I've noticed that the rules say you have to have a campaign medal but I understand you can join if you were awarded the Korean Defense Service Medal.  If that is the case why isn't this noted in the rules to join?  Also there are many that have the Vietnam Service Medal but did not serve long enough to receive the Vietnam Campaign Medal.   If the KDSM works why shouldn't the VSM. 

On 10/11/2016 at 1:54 PM, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Connda.

Much respect to you.I am only sorry that you have been left feeling 'shunned'

Its a bitter pill to have to swallow.

I can only sympathize with you.I expect you lost many friends during those times.I wont say,i know how you feel because i dont and never will.I  am a Brit,and my two uncles served in ww2 and were captured by the Japanese. One was on the Burma march,and lived.My other uncle died in the camps building the railway known as Hell Fire pass.He was captured when Singapore fell.I never knew him,but having watched a movie called The Railway man,i can now imagine what he went through.

I have visited kanchanaburi many times over the years,and i never fail to feel horrified by the japanese museum there.

i took my wife the last time and even she was shoked.She had never been told in school about those times.

i can only say that i wish you well,and that you come to terms with your anger,one day.

KKD

There was an old WW2 film called 'Camp on Blood Island' that while it did not and could not have won any Oscars it revealed what things were like in a Jap prison camp and of course there was 'Bridge on the River Kwai'. These films were made in the 1950s before we had political correctness so were accurate accounts of what life was like for the prisoners. There was also some Japanese amateur film doing the rounds of Jap soldiers using trussed up American officers for bayonet practice on the Bataan March.

We had an old pal years ago who'd been on The Burma Railway in WW2 and we used to try and get him to tell us what it had been like till our boss who'd been in the RAF told us to to desist as it was obvious that he did not want to talk about it. This would have been in the late 1960s.

He did later bring in a photo of about seven skinny young men dressed in rags each with one leg made out of bamboo. He said 'Here, that's what it was like'. We never mentioned it again. His nickname was Dicko, short for Dickson, I forget his first name and no one called him by it any way. He was a jolly bloke apart from when the subject of the Japs were involved, how he hated them. 

When VCRs came out I had a JVC model with 'Made in Japan' on it. My mother was horrified and said 'What did you have to go and buy that for' This was in about 1980, 35 years after the end of WW2 but while our older generation may have in time forgiven younger generations of Japanese for the sins of their fathers but they never forgot. There are now very few people alive who remember what those poor blokes went through before they got repatriated. Many older Anzacs and Americans will also remember the hatred and revulsion that many people had with just cause for the sons of Nippon after WW2.

6 hours ago, Chimp said:

I've noticed that the rules say you have to have a campaign medal but I understand you can join if you were awarded the Korean Defense Service Medal.  If that is the case why isn't this noted in the rules to join?  Also there are many that have the Vietnam Service Medal but did not serve long enough to receive the Vietnam Campaign Medal.   If the KDSM works why shouldn't the VSM. 

To be eligible to join the VFW, or Veterans of Foreign Wars, a person must be a U.S. citizen who has served in the military honorably in an overseas conflict, received a campaign medal for overseas service, served 60 nonconsecutive or 30 consecutive days in Korea, or received imminent danger or hostile-fire pay. So a VSM would qualify you.

Yogi 100.

I remember the movies you mention.The camp on Blood Island.Kwai,You are right,they werent the best films but i got the feeling that they were,the Hammer Horror of war flicks.

The actors were probably people like Nigel Davenport,Stanley baker,A young Michael Caine and others of that time.Of course Alec Guiness was fabulous in Kwai.

The Railway man is a good example of the modern WW2 movie.I understand about people not wanting to buy Japenese goods.When i lived in the states,there was a man in our appartments who refused to buy anything Japanese.He was a veteran.

The Japanese told lies to the world,when they explained away their involvement.They said it was because they wanted to protect Asia.

I say they were unnecessarily cruel to prisoners and their behaviour was that of blood crazed fanatics.Asia has a long standing reputation of being proud and the face thing is very obvious in most Asian countries.The Samurai are replaced by the followers of Bashido and they still live by traditions that go back a thousand years.This is evident(although not so strongly) in Thailand also.

When General MacArthur went to over see the rebuilding of Japan,he was looking for a way to bring the Emporer to justice for ordering the bombing of Pearl Harbour,and he would have hanged him as a common criminal,if he could have found such proof.But the Americans were worried about an uprising,in the event of this.As you know,MacArthur met Horhito and had his photo taken with him.A few year later Horohito relinquished his standing as a God.He died not too long ago.

I can always remember my dad really cussing out Prince Phillip for shaking hands with him,my dad said "the Bastard never even apologised"

Of course,now days,films like 'Geisha and tea house of the August moon are shown to make us see a 'nicer',friendlier side of the Japanese.I know that you cannot blame people today for what happened over 70 years ago.But you dont have to forget.

Thats my two cents.

Do you know of the guy in Pattaya (Bert0 who arranges all the trips to Kanchanburi,and runs the legion meetings?

On 10/15/2016 at 4:52 AM, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Yogi 100.

I remember the movies you mention.The camp on Blood Island.Kwai,You are right,they werent the best films but i got the feeling that they were,the Hammer Horror of war flicks.

The actors were probably people like Nigel Davenport,Stanley baker,A young Michael Caine and others of that time.Of course Alec Guiness was fabulous in Kwai.

The Railway man is a good example of the modern WW2 movie.I understand about people not wanting to buy Japenese goods.When i lived in the states,there was a man in our appartments who refused to buy anything Japanese.He was a veteran.

The Japanese told lies to the world,when they explained away their involvement.They said it was because they wanted to protect Asia.

I say they were unnecessarily cruel to prisoners and their behaviour was that of blood crazed fanatics.Asia has a long standing reputation of being proud and the face thing is very obvious in most Asian countries.The Samurai are replaced by the followers of Bashido and they still live by traditions that go back a thousand years.This is evident(although not so strongly) in Thailand also.

When General MacArthur went to over see the rebuilding of Japan,he was looking for a way to bring the Emporer to justice for ordering the bombing of Pearl Harbour,and he would have hanged him as a common criminal,if he could have found such proof.But the Americans were worried about an uprising,in the event of this.As you know,MacArthur met Horhito and had his photo taken with him.A few year later Horohito relinquished his standing as a God.He died not too long ago.

I can always remember my dad really cussing out Prince Phillip for shaking hands with him,my dad said "the Bastard never even apologised"

Of course,now days,films like 'Geisha and tea house of the August moon are shown to make us see a 'nicer',friendlier side of the Japanese.I know that you cannot blame people today for what happened over 70 years ago.But you dont have to forget.

Thats my two cents.

Do you know of the guy in Pattaya (Bert0 who arranges all the trips to Kanchanburi,and runs the legion meetings?

You've got it Dave! I remember trying to get in to see The Camp on Blood Island which was an X Certificate film but the old git in the ticket office could see I was under age and told me to sling my hook.

"Do you know of the guy in Pattaya (Bert0 who arranges all the trips to Kanchanburi,and runs the legion meetings?"

That's Bert of Tropical Berts bar in Soi 6/1. I've been in his bar years ago but never met him. Every November if I was in Pattaya I used to go to his bar to buy my poppy. Now The Coins in Soi Bhukaow sells them which is nearer to my lodgings.

You no longer see them being worn in London anymore by the 'locals', they don't even know what they are nor why a few real Londoners left in the city wear 'em neither do they care. It'll be around again in 3 weeks time. The Muslim Poppy Burners actually set fire to them on Armistice Day in London in broad daylight while our useless plod just look the other way. I remember when the police who were all ex servicemen would have taken the law into their own hands along with members of the public! What a waste of our young men who died in the World Wars was when you weigh things up 70 years on. We should have just armed ourselves to the teeth for the purpose of defence and told the European powers to get on with it.

I read somewhere that the original Khon Kaen Airport was once a Jap military aerodrome built by the forced labour of POWs. in WW2. It was either there of Nong Khai, I get the two mixed up. Just think of working all those hours in that heat with mosquitos, diseases, impure water, lack of food, no medicines and the vicious Jap guards to contend with. I often consider these things when I'm in the LOS and it's little wonder the Japs were hated so much.

Yogi

I hear what you say brother,and i am in total agreement.There is no more one can say.But lets wait for the racist mob 'you cannot harp on about what happened in the past' if you dont like Asian people,why are you here' Ive met Japanese people and they are lovely,and the rest of the crap that goes with it.The only difference between the Nazi SS and the camp guards,and the Japanese,is that the Japanese didnt wear the swastika.

Archived