3bb vs ais fiber vs true online ( fttx)

primacybkk

Hmmm.  Well,  not too impressed with the quick trial of Express VPN.  Just installed their app on the iPad on which you get 7 days free trial, turned it on, selected UK as the location, opened Amazon Prime and it seems to boot me out to a real bare bones selection of stuff that's worse than you'd get by default in Thailand!!  For movies they display Bollywood only. Switched to "best location" in Express and get the movies listed then 'restricted due to location as soon as I try to play it".  So, about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike so far.

I'll explore it more tomorrow, but the experience with Express VPN at the moment might lead to it being VERY short lived. 

Edited by SooKee

12 hours ago, Pib said:

Time for me to go night-night....wish I could say I was going to go watch some HBO on TrueVisions but I can't since 1 Jan.  

Two download testmy.net results I just run to LA and Singapore below on my AIS 100/10.   Good night to all.

To LA

KXcvgown6.png

To Singapore

1U7eLcV0m.png

OK, it's the next morning now...got a good night's sleep....just for comparison to last night...tests to same two locations approx 12 hours later next morning.   Non-VPN connection just as above non-VPN connections.   

To LA

f48Zamt1H.png

To Singapore

XkIRHQ1vD.png

On 1/5/2017 at 9:56 PM, Pib said:

Singapore is probably not a good place to use as a comparison between a standard and premium plan since there seems to be plenty of cheap bandwidth between Thailand and Singapore.  Even on True cable I got pretty much full speed to Singapore...was almost like a Thailand location.

Thailand and Singapore signed a peering arrangement a few years back, and that essentially makes traffic to Singapore similar to Thai in-country traffic. 

Just for clarity - all the tests being run via TestMy.net - these are all single thread tests correct?  Right now the best I can get out of my AIS 100/10 is around 20-25Mbs to Singapore on a single thread.  Same via Singapore VPN.  Not impressed.

• Like 1

I see that from 27/12/16 AIS introduced a 50/20 version of their Power Pro package which does provide a public facing ipv4 address which would solve my CGN problems.  Just need to consider if 50/20 is fast enough, should be provided it IS 50 (at least within Thailand).  I need to research the international speeds on that for streaming purposes.  I'm not really keen on paying and extra 1,000 pm for the Power Pro home package JUST to get a public IPv4 address. 

4 hours ago, RedCardinal said:

Thailand and Singapore signed a peering arrangement a few years back, and that essentially makes traffic to Singapore similar to Thai in-country traffic. 

Just for clarity - all the tests being run via TestMy.net - these are all single thread tests correct?  Right now the best I can get out of my AIS 100/10 is around 20-25Mbs to Singapore on a single thread.  Same via Singapore VPN.  Not impressed.

Yes, testmy.net is a "single-thread" tester versus OOKLA-based testers like Speedtest.net which are "multi-thread" testers.

With my AIS 100/10 PowerHome I typically pull 90 to 100Mb testmy.net results to Singapore such as the one below I just run to Singapore.

ic5rfu8DX.png

Here's some more testmy.net download tests which I just run on the Saturday evening around 6:15pm (maybe the most prime time during the week) to Singapore, London, LA, and Tokyo with my AIS Fibre 100/10 PowerHome plan.  Your result may vary.

Capture.JPG

And about 30 minutes later when using the "multi-thread" tester Speedtest.net that opens up multiple-threads (i.e., streams, pipes) like how a download manager basically works to speedup file transfers.   Would have don't these tests immediately after doing the testmy.net tests but the wife put a plate of food in front of me so feeding my face took priority.

To Singapore

5945309009.png

To LA

5945321219.png

To Tokyo

5945327292.png

To UK

5945338194.png

On 1/7/2017 at 6:03 PM, Pib said:

Yes, testmy.net is a "single-thread" tester versus OOKLA-based testers like Speedtest.net which are "multi-thread" testers.

Worth mentioning that TestMy.net does have a multi-thread capability.  You toggle it on/off from the controls in the header of the page.  I just wanted to confirm that you were using the single thread test, and not toggled this to multi-thread.

Has anyone else noted a slow down to a virtual stop in 3BB net access.  Here in Phayao, I use  the normal connection 631 Baht  month, and it has been very good.  Slow down appeared to start when the KIng died, thought I can see no reason for this.  Now it is unusable from 8;30am until noon, very week day, all day at weekends.
I complained to BB when I paid my monthly bill and they sent a lad to check my system.  His conclusion was that I needed a new, faster, router, (1000B) and that I shoudl upgrade my computer to Win10.  he totally refused to consider that 3BB was slow, nor would he agree that if the service was OK at times, then my existing Router was OK.
ON bad times it is impossible to even type an e-mail as I have to wait for each letter to be uploaded.  IE and Chrome regularly lock up.
I can't change my provider as in this village there is only 3BB.  

If you have yo wait for typed letters to appear I'd say it's your PC that's at fault as nothing is transmitted via the Internet until you hit send.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RedCardinal said:

Worth mentioning that TestMy.net does have a multi-thread capability.  You toggle it on/off from the controls in the header of the page.  I just wanted to confirm that you were using the single thread test, and not toggled this to multi-thread.

Actually, testmy.net multithread option is different from OOKLA-based testers.    Testmy version of multithread is testing to "different" locations ...like two different locations would be two threads.  But OOKLA-based testers use multithread to the same location.

4 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

If you have yo wait for typed letters to appear I'd say it's your PC that's at fault as nothing is transmitted via the Internet until you hit send.

If he is using webmail (Gmail etc) in a browser then there is some data transfer before you hit "send". How much depends on the configuration and the service.

If he is using IMAP or POP3 (ie Windows Mail, or Thunderbird) then data is indeed stored entirely locally until sent.

If, as he implies, he only has this problem at certain times of day then it would indicate that his PC and router are probably not at fault.

It seems 3BB started CGNAT (shared IP address, starts with 100.x.x.x).

I cancelled true docsis due to cgnat and choose 3BB over AIS for higher speed (atleast on paper?) and dynamic IPv4 in last summer.

I guess I'll cancel 3BB and install AIS fiber with shared IP but with port mapping, so I can access nas at home, when I return to Thailand this summer.

What a bummer!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, muratremix said:

It seems 3BB started CGNAT (shared IP address, starts with 100.x.x.x).

I cancelled true docsis due to cgnat and choose 3BB over AIS for higher speed (atleast on paper?) and dynamic IPv4 in last summer.

I guess I'll cancel 3BB and install AIS fiber with shared IP but with port mapping, so I can access nas at home, when I return to Thailand this summer.

What a bummer!

You wanna take a crack as explaining the significance of this in layman user's terms.

I have 3BB 200/50 fiber at home, I have a NAS at home that works fine for local devices on my network, but I've never tried accessing that network when I'm away from home. And my 3BB IP address at home begins 183....

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You wanna take a crack as explaining the significance of this in layman user's terms.

I have 3BB 200/50 fiber at home, I have a NAS at home that works fine for local devices on my network, but I've never tried accessing that network when I'm away from home. And my 3BB IP address at home begins 183....

I'm not in Thailand and I would like to access NAS and proxy on NAS for Thai IPTV services from outside.

They probably won't give CGNAT IP to those on FTTH package yet.

NAT IP sucks, not just reaching your camera, nas etc from outside, it also causes problems with online gaming and it could increase ping in general.

• Like 1

Precisely the reason I'm thinking of taking the hit on speed and going for the AIS Power Pro package which still gives you a public ipv4 address. 50/10 for 1100 pm. The Home Pro is better at 100/10 for 990 but it uses CGN and while I think many people find that their DDNS port forwarding method works, I don't think that their implementation of it works with all applications.

Sent using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, SooKee said:

Precisely the reason I'm thinking of taking the hit on speed and going for the AIS Power Pro package which still gives you a public ipv4 address. 50/10 for 1100 pm. The Home Pro is better at 100/10 for 990 but it uses CGN and while I think many people find that their DDNS port forwarding method works, I don't think that their implementation of it works with all applications.

Sent using Tapatalk

for basic home applications, 10-20 port forwarding should be enough. They are the first and only ISP I have ever seen doing this, while other ISPs just put users behind cgnat without notice. I think TOT still provides dynamic IPv4 but their packages are no match for AIS / 3BB or even True online.

• Like 1

I've streamed movies from my NAS in Chiang Mai to my phone when I was in the UK. I'm on 3BB Fibre.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

On 1/13/2017 at 2:22 PM, RedCardinal said:

Follow up on experience with my 2 lines:

1. AIS Fiber 100/10

2. True Cable 100/30

International bandwidth is far better via AIS, with a single thread getting 80-90 Mbps to Singapore.  In contrast it looks like True are traffic shaping and restricting bandwidth to about 10Mbps over a single thread to Singapore.  I can get ~90Mbps over True via multiple threads, but that wont help with services like streaming.  I've asked True to look into this for me.

My load balancer combines both lines to get me ~180-190Mbps down and ~40-50Mbps up within Thailand.

The obvious downside to AIS is carrier grade NAT, but having the True connection gives me IPV4 point which I can easily traverse to from outside.

If I was mainly interested in general browsing and streaming I think I'd take the AIS connection over True any day of the week.  Hope this might help.  I'm based in Phuket FWIW. 

From what I have heard, at least from the call center guy that True's genuine FTTH runs on a different backbone and network than its cable(Docsis) and supposedly gives better international speed. Since my office has True cable internet, and I am still on old package as True has refused to upgrade me to their newer, faster and better price packages unless I sign another one year contract again.

i still don't understand why True does not differentiate between cable and authentic Ftth in terms of marketing and simply calls both fiber. 

I have asked True to switch me over from Cable to fiber in my office, True said they will check my office area if fiber is available and let me know in 3-7 days.

i would like to switch to Cat or Ais(like my house) in my office but sadly only True is available.

I hope  someone can post some speedtests using True's Real FTTH and not cable.

54 minutes ago, shariq607 said:

True just updated its latest packages offering more speeds and better pricing.

Do note True's offer includes 4G mobile data package and True vision Cable/satellite which in my opinion is hell of a deal.

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/product-service/super-fiber/entry/5349
51f63e51946d72e3e2ca8ce9ae1dfc63.jpg

Makes me weep that I had to give up TrueOnline service when I recently moved from a townhouse to a high-rise condo.  I had TrueOnline DOCSIS twice in townhouses, once for 2.5 yrs and once for one year and had excellent experience with them.

Googled up some TrueOnline internet  prices from recent history....see below.   Been some massive price reductions, especially starting late last year in response the competition like from 3BB and AIS.

True would still have me as an internet customer as I was with them for 5 years on a cable/DOCSIS plans like their 20/2 and 15/1.5 plans....plans which had like a 99.99% up-time rate over those 5 years.  I was happy with the reliability but their international speeds I thought could have been better.

But I switched to AIS Fibre last Jul 16 (been happy since) because I wanted at least a 50Mb speed plan and True's plan's "above" 30Mb speed plans were simply way too pricey.  Like True's 50Mb and 100Mb plans previously being Bt2,799 and Bt4,999 plus VAT per month, respectively. 

Then late last year after being with AIS for a few months True began dropping the price of their higher speed plans BIG TIME....like their current 50Mb and 100Mb plan prices of Bt799 (over a 3 fold price drop) and Bt1099 (almost a 5 fold price drop), respectively.   And you know they are still making a nice profit with their new, much lower prices; just think of the profit they were making with their old, much higher prices.   I thought to myself when they began their big price drops if True had just lowered their prices a few months earlier/before I switched to AIS, True would probably still have me as an internet customer.

Thank you competition.  Expect the arrival of low cost 3BB and AIS fiber/VDSL plans has caused True to lose many customers and slow the signup of new customers anywhere that 3BB and AIS are competing with True.   And with TrueVisions decision to drop HBO/Cinemax and other channels  along with other Thai internet providers such as AIS now offering IPTV with their internet plans, True is seeing even more customers loss.   You Reap What You Sow, True.

Old (but not too old) TrueOnline Internet Plan Prices.

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

37 minutes ago, colinchaffers said:

I'm with and was paying 1200THB for 30mgb, I went to the shop and moved to 50mgb for 799THB, in fact the speed is 60mgb. The international speed falls off a cliff at times, but I'm not thats a True issue, its more likely to be a general bandwidth issue.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

No, the international speed "is predominately" a True international bandwidth issue. Sure there can be chokepoints on the internet that your internet provider has no control over, but their international gateway is a big factor in how speed or not-so-speedy your international speed will be.    A lot depends on their "international gateway" and the amount/quality of international bandwidth buys.   Bandwidth isn't free.

I assuming you are really on True DOCSIS/cable with whatever SuperSpeed plan you have with them as True has both Fiber and DOCSIS lump in what they currently call their SuperSpeed plans.

With True Cable/DOCSIS it incluldes download "bursting" which lasts several seconds when going to a website.  Bursting does not occur for uploading.   When using a speedtest it really nothing more than using a website.  Since a speed test only lasts 10 to 15  during the download portion and basically "averages" all the speed samples taken during that 10-15 second test with the early samples being much higher due to the bursting, the final average of all the samples will result in a higher download speed result.  While bursting is great for browsing it will not help in live video streaming, help little in downloading large files, etc.  

When I was with True Cable/DOCSIS and on their 15/1.5Mb I still remember the day they implemented "bursting" back around late 2011/early 2012.  My speedtesting went from around a 16Mb speedtest result to around 28Mb...almost doubling my speed "when using a speed tester).   Over the years until I dropped True the speed test results dropped to around 22Mb on the 15Mb plan...expect that was due to more customers being on my line.  

Bursting is definitely a good thing, but it is a brief download speed spike and not continuous.

Edited by Pib

I would like to cancel 3BB 50/10 VDSL when I come back to Thailand this June. It would be end of 12 month contract so I can cancel it.

We have 3BB, AIS Fiber, True docsis and TOT adsl in our mooban. I won't deal with tot adsl of course. True docsis now gives CGNAT IP and they put users behind transparent proxy, but True was faster on international destinations on single thread than 3BB.

3BB was great on singapore and direct peerings like icloud, google services etc. But then they started throttling singapore to 10Mbits (I get 20mbits if I reconnect and get a new IP)

TOT likes to throttle connections but they do give public ipv4 and higher upload speeds, but their plans need a speed bust. Not sure if TOT does provide fiber in my location.

So I'll probably go with AIS fiber. But I would like to use my own AC router. Some say, AIS fiber modem does not allow bridging mode? I'll also need to use port forwarding and thddns service. I wonder if it will work with another ac router instead of provided one?

If cat C internet had a service like thddns of AIS, I could consider cat but without port forwarding, I won't take it.

• Like 1

From review of this NECTEC Thai ISP "International Gateway" map, it appears  3BB/AIS/True having the following international bandwidth as of 9 Jan 17:

http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/show_page.php?py0HA8wH8+a7AIaRsDo/prnHnBJzfoE5torm+SGClYhz6KD9PhEunRBfZmPHm1BtxsgVP4SQWw8cfvuv/NEsID+tNlo2YQV55yOiL/YLpErxVAw+Yvas08+xXVWNJBs1

3BB - 500.5 GB

AIS -  840.02 GB

True - 602 GB

3BB

Capture_3BB.JPG

AIS

Capture_AIS.JPG

True

Capture_True.JPG

My True 50/20 have been very bad since last Thursday, it goes on and off, on and off, all the time, True TV on same line is quite bad too with missing/frozen frames. 

My friend in the village has exactly same problem with his True i-net. 

Thankfully I still have my Banglamung 12mb cable i-net so have been using that one and that is working flawless.

They are coming tomorrow and checking.

It all went tits up after the hard rain we had earlier this week in Pattaya.

I wonder what they do in Scotland with rain +300 days per year:whistling: