Where did the Russians go?

james1995

31 minutes ago, The manic said:

My issue is that they insist on all the shops and restaurants having all their signage in Russian and cyrillic  - but surely they can see that a restaurant is a restaurant  and a tailor a tailor.  Thai is the language of Thailand and English the Language of the world but if even if for political reasons they do not wish to speak English must they insist that the Thai  food in the restaurants they visit  be so tasteless and anodyne? In many restaurants around Wongamat and Cozy beach the spicy Thai soups now taste like irish stew or Borscht.  The restaurant owners do not even both to put out the the little set of four condiments and spices! Last year when I asked for  phrik pom (chile powder), phrik dong (chile slices in vinegar) -They had none and gave me some kind of international, generic american tabasco or some such crap. Now I won't go in any Thai restaurants with Russian signage or menu. Some of the places round cozy beach have no English translations at all and have employed girls from Cambodia who speak Russian but not Thai or English.  I find the Russians with their unsmiling grim visages, small wallets and tasteless clothes a depressing bunch. Really depressing.

I can remember when there was only one Russian style restaurant in Pattaya.

Second road just past Pattaya Tai, on the right,

Cant remember the name,    very proud of that  :thumbsup:

Happy days then

Now  look what they have left us.  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a "cultural misunderstanding" with some Russians the other day at the Pattaya Tai to Jomtien baht bus queue.

There was a younger couple that was blatantly jumping the queue so I aggressively BLOCKED them to board before them. They still got seats. But the man Russian started screaming at me in Russian of course as if I had done the bad thing.

I really didn't know what to make of it. They knew they were jumping the queue and they expected everyone to just take it? 

Perhaps even more curious, were they so clueless that they didn't realize that not everyone on the bus always speaks Russian? A few years back, that would have been a more reasonable assumption, but not lately. 

Edited by Jingthing

If you see 20 Russians trying to get to the seven to buy beer before the midnight stoppage of sale and they are all Russianing to get there,then it becomes a race.

I would think that beer sales went down after they went home,'cos all they used to do was buy big bottles of Chang and sit on the steps and drink it. We had a bar right opposite a 7/11 and we sold the cheapest beer and spirits in our location,but we never had but one Russian come in.He was a great guy ,Dimitri,He even returned a wallet with 9,000 bht in it,to a customer who dropped it outside.He would state quite blatantly that he detested Russian People.

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes it is at the moment. Maybe they should meter the showers and add a timer. Would leave more water for the locals. Well back to mixing the Borscht.

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes it is at the moment. Maybe they should meter the showers and add a timer. Would leave more water for the locals. Well back to mixing the Borscht.

I know a good few Brit and yanks who could do with a shower. even took to buying a bar of soap and leaving it on the bar by where they sit  but it didn't work.

Just now, Deepinthailand said:

I know a good few Brit and yanks who could do with a shower. even took to buying a bar of soap and leaving it on the bar by where they sit  but it didn't work.

As my old grandmother used to say "You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make em drink" Add a washcloth to the bar of soap up your game a bit. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Actually I think the unwashed / smell bad stereotype thing is extremely out of date. Yes, in the Soviet era deodorant was seen as western decadence but not now. 

Not entirely as I do get whiffs of the armpit aroma from time to time especially as a captive in the elevator. Of course I would sooner stand beside a person that has body odor than a chain smoker. Yuck. 

As for the Russians, I have been told that they have started to return to Patts and to the other nasty place known as Phuket, where a gang of them had a violent fight with some taxi drivers last week. 

IMHO there are fewer farangs about generally. Friends of 20 years are leaving. There are now more condos asking for tenants in Asoke and Sukh for 14,000b instead of 20,000.

Eddy

what the hell how did you switch this topic to a condo Thread in Asoke?

Link? Condo size exact location? Asoke condo's and suk are through the roof! A few of your mates leaving, that's dragging it down? Bahahah

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Deepinthailand said:

In the end I just told them they stink of BO and fags. and moved to another bar. 

Be careful the Boris's have a short fuse. Make sure he is in a wheelchair before giving him verbal advice. When dealing with Russians always make sure you have scoped out the EXIT sign. 

4 hours ago, pauleddy said:

IMHO there are fewer farangs about generally. Friends of 20 years are leaving. There are now more condos asking for tenants in Asoke and Sukh for 14,000b instead of 20,000.

Actually this has been going on for some time. I would say 2012 was the tipping point, and the tide started flowing out. Interestingly it is usually the ones who have money and or ability and skills to earn it, who leave. Just those who the Thai Government claims they want to keep. :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Actually I think the unwashed / smell bad stereotype thing is extremely out of date. Yes, in the Soviet era deodorant was seen as western decadence but not now. 

Nah,     The middle aged or older are still the soap dodgers  of this town. :sick:

Actually this has been going on for some time. I would say 2012 was the tipping point, and the tide started flowing out. Interestingly it is usually the ones who have money and or ability and skills to earn it, who leave. Just those who the Thai Government claims they want to keep. default_thumbsup.gif

Be careful the Boris's have a short fuse. Make sure he is in a wheelchair before giving him verbal advice. When dealing with Russians always make sure you have scoped out the EXIT sign. 

Their currency has taken a big hit as has their economy. Many are facing tough times and don't have the extra cash to travel as they did before oil prices dropped. Ive been in a few countries bordering Russia lately. All business owners I've spoken with say the Russians are gone. For better or worse.

Maybe you should get out more give the keys a rest. 

I live there 10years!! What market share do you believe they had since they ruined the market lol.. Sorry it's just to funny! [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

7 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Nah,     The middle aged or older are still the soap dodgers  of this town. :sick:

One thing I have learned as I age. I have more body odor and my flatulence has increased in volume and smell. I guess that is where the saying ripe old age comes in. I can still sit here in front of the computer with no glasses and my fingers are still nimble. My grey matter still routes thoughts and ideas into the proper channels. My water spout trickles and the bowels sometimes take a holiday and come back in a day or 2. Otherwise heck we are good to go. 

3 hours ago, freebyrd said:

Fair point of course, there are good and bad in almost every race. I worked in a hotel where Russian aircrew stayed, the GM couldn't wait for the contracdt to expire.

I had an altercation at work with a Russian yesterday, another one with a bloody awful bedside manner. I don't suppose I will ever meet the wonderful one's you did.

And you are the judge and jury on what's makes races and people good or bad?

Just that fact that you rush to judge the Russians puts you in the bad category IMO.

Your quote: " Hopefully they've gone back to Russia where they should stay. I've never met a Russian with a winning personality".

23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Oh good. Yet another pithy and thought provoking post from one of our newest arrivals.

Welcome to the forum anyway.

Aside from your condescending reply to this 'newbie' post. It does seem that the Thai visa so called veterans are enjoying a good , full discussion on this.

Edited by goldenbrwn1

2 hours ago, The manic said:

One of the reasons the Russians come to Pattaya is because of all the Arabs here.  At least they have someone they can feel superior to!

It's incredible the anti-Russian sentiment that comes out in these threads.

Obviously you think you're superior to Russians. Why?

I live in one of the most Russian areas of Pattaya and have never a problem with them. Sure, their numbers are lower now, but the Thais are suffering because of that and certainly wouldn't be happy about their diminished numbers. Only the anti-Russian Farangs are happy.

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

It's incredible the anti-Russian sentiment that comes out in these threads.

Obviously you think you're superior to Russians. Why?

I live in one of the most Russian areas of Pattaya and have never a problem with them. Sure, their numbers are lower now, but the Thais are suffering because of that and certainly wouldn't be happy about their diminished numbers. Only the anti-Russian Farangs are happy.

Yes, I agree. Lots in my condo block and no better or worse than English, Europeans, Australians that live here.

I dont know where this "they smell" thing comes from.

Maybe people watched to many movies in the 80s, when Russians were the bad guys.

Please abide by forum rules,  which means this one.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.