Police checkpoints: activist gets result and police go home with their cones

webfact

Police checkpoints: activist gets result and police go home with their cones

p3.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

KORAT: -- A Thai activist who is determined to stop police setting up illegal road blocks to fleece motorists has got more good results.

Kriangkrai Thai-orn arrived at a checkpoint in Korat on Sunday and immediately went live on Facebook where he was seen by 100,000 followers.

The checkpoint had been set up on the road without the permission of the Highways Authority, reports Manager Online.

Kriangkrai cited the law to officers who he said must have permission according to article 38 of the statute book. Police had to concede that the permission they obtained had not come from high enough up the chain of command.

So they gathered up their cones and went home with their tails between their legs.

Kriangkrai then moved onto another checkpoint and got the same result.

While some checkpoints in Thailand have the backing of the law, others are just opportunistic designed to fleece motorists of their cash illegally.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-08

The Flaw in this story is that the police on patrol should not need any special permission to set up a road stop, this is a separate issue from what they actually do during that time i.e. extort money

Mentioned above about Pattaya, there are so many drunks in charge of vehicles in the small hours that I hope they increase the number of checkpoints at those times - far too many people being slaughtered on the roads to ignore it 

1 minute ago, lee b said:

Good lad. Was it not last year when we were told that the police were not allowed to put up these road blocks anymore?

Earlier this year new instructions were issued for supposed implementation nationwide covering roadblocks including the requirement for someone of officer rank to be present etc.

The one on the video is the Highway Police and I seem to remember a member posting that a one car, three man block wasn't authorised and could be ignored but I'm not sure I'd risk it though.  I do see this style of block on Highway 2 Udon Thani - Nong Khai and Udon-Khon Kaen and every time I see them it seems to be mostly goods vehicles they are interested in.

"...While some checkpoints in Thailand have the backing of the law, others are just opportunistic designed to fleece motorists of their cash illegally..."

If this is so, then (as smedly points out above) have not the offending "police" committed a criminal act?

As is so typical of the Thai mindset, the people will applaud Kriangkrai for HIS actions, but totally ignore the police conspiracy !!!

1 hour ago, smedly said:

The Flaw in this story is that the police on patrol should not need any special permission to set up a road stop, this is a separate issue from what they actually do during that time i.e. extort money

Mentioned above about Pattaya, there are so many drunks in charge of vehicles in the small hours that I hope they increase the number of checkpoints at those times - far too many people being slaughtered on the roads to ignore it 

Agreed! But as happened to many, hand over the cash and off you go.

20 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

Love this guy!

If there were more like him....to do his best to clean up the dirty police....Thailand would be a far better place.

the cops can not be cleaned up unless the government starts to pay them properly. i doubt that will ever happen.

i cant see the problem with them going out making their money from people breaking the law. as long as they dont take it too far which seems to be happening more and more frequently over the last few years.

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Well done Sir, but can someone please explain how we tell the difference between a legal and illegal roadblock, apart from the aforementioned post saying there has to be more than one car ?

There has to be an official sign indicating the checkpoint where it can be seen by motorists and there has to be a senior officer in attendance at all times (the ones with the big daft SS-type hats).  There may be other requirements.

My Burma staff boy was  stopped the other day, he was  told 2000 baht and he could have his id card back.

My Wife  called our local Policeman who  called 2  local stations, neither said they had his info or stopped him.

My Wife then called the local police station and  asked some more questions, seems they had  stopped him but after speaking with our local Policeman ( we pay the 1000 baht a month red box thingy) the whole things  turned out to be "just a joke" ie they said they were just  joking with him!!

This was the station heads response to my Wife.

His id card appeared later by our local  Policeman, no  money was  paid.

Yeah the tireless work of the BIB's  corruption dept

4 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

the cops can not be cleaned up unless the government starts to pay them properly. i doubt that will ever happen.

i cant see the problem with them going out making their money from people breaking the law. as long as they dont take it too far which seems to be happening more and more frequently over the last few years.

I am with you but do you seriously believe that if even if they got better pay they would stop fleecing motorists and anyone else they can find to line their back pockets.

Even those well heeled bureaucrats at the top end of the scale who don't need more than they get can't help themselves and succumb to under the counter greed .

Very brave man. 100,000 followers - that's a promising sign!

1 hour ago, Brer Fox said:

I am with you but do you seriously believe that if even if they got better pay they would stop fleecing motorists and anyone else they can find to line their back pockets.

Even those well heeled bureaucrats at the top end of the scale who don't need more than they get can't help themselves and succumb to under the counter greed .

I agree. Nothing but a complete top to bottom restructure of the RTP will even begin to alleviate the corruption plaguing this country. (Don't even get me started on the military!)