The River Be On The Rise

Konini

The river is rising at quite an alarming rate - many of the rafts have been and still are being washed away, and the amount of debris flowing from upstream is concerning me; all of that jetsam and flotsam is going to have to come to a rest eventually, and when it does, it's going to create an almighty dam clogged with all manner of things that I'm watching floating past me.

I doubt the river will overflow, it's not that bad, but I think it's going to ruin Loy Krathon for a lot of people, which is very sad.

Very black clouds over Hang Dong as I post (2.45 pm) Just came back from CM down the river road and water,south of the weir is moving along but think we would have to get  a lot more rain upstream before it becomes a drama. Pity if it affects any Loy Krathong activities but guess they would be pretty muted anyway.Can't recall this much rain in November,late start to the wet season and a late finish it seems

2 hours ago, mamborobert said:

Bamboo rafts outside Rimping Condo north facing are all gone I'm afraid.

Some powerful pictures in there - does that rice lying down mean it's gone or will it come back or be straightened or replanted?

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

Very black clouds over Hang Dong as I post (2.45 pm) Just came back from CM down the river road and water,south of the weir is moving along but think we would have to get  a lot more rain upstream before it becomes a drama. Pity if it affects any Loy Krathong activities but guess they would be pretty muted anyway.Can't recall this much rain in November,late start to the wet season and a late finish it seems

But is it raining in the catchment areas?  That's the only rain of any consequence.  I feel sorry for the little kiddies who may have had their big moment spoiled.   :sad:

22 minutes ago, Konini said:

Bamboo rafts outside Rimping Condo north facing are all gone I'm afraid.

Some powerful pictures in there - does that rice lying down mean it's gone or will it come back or be straightened or replanted?

Basically it is useless.

The costs of labour to harvest what remaiins is not worth it...even more so now at depressed prices.  In earlier days some would try to be saved for fodder but not so much now.  It will basically rot when the weather turns.

A lot of farmers were not harvesting now through a combination of encouragement by government not to further flood the market,  a hope that prices would rise a bit,  or to make sure of the new compensation package.  The rice in the photos looks like it was pretty much ready to harvest or soon would be like a lot round here now.

In previous years the government has sometimes provided compensation.  This also affected the Yingluck government where they had the subsidy going to inflate price and store...and at the same time upped compensation considerably after flooding (2011 for example) ,a double whammy.

Rice planting will not usually start agaiin until May.

For your viewing pleasure...a short video of the flood management system and a recording of the P1 (Nawarat Bridge almost 1 metre up today by 5.00pm) and P67 (32km upstream) river.  Almost double at p67 in same period

Probably get a bit higher by midnight as it takes about 8 hours for water to travel the distance from p67 to P1.

Still way off the level for flooding in CM proper though (tG).

http://www.cm108.com/bbb/topic/2042-ระดับน้ำปิง-วัดที่จุด-p1-เวลา-1600-น-1837-ที่-p67-ลดลงแล้ว/

On the contrary,it is good to see these late and heavy downpours.Where I live we are dependent on water that is piped down from a creek/waterfall 1km up the mountain. Last year, the pipes ran dry by the end of Dec., the villagers were hand-digging wells by feb.

A recent hike up in the hills have shown all creek beds flowing freely....perhaps this is the end of the 2yr drought....at least in our area.

Surely you must have heard the Thai News yesterday? Today is the end of the rain for Thailand this year....according to my wife and the TV! Maybe someone needs to tell it to the weather.

I doubt there will be much flooding this year, it is already mid November and the peak in Chiang Mai is usually October. If anything there might be some localised "puddles" but as for the rain supply, next year is going to be absolute HELL up here for the farmers, they won't have enough water to wash their <deleted>!

On November 11, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Sparkles said:

La ninia 

14 hours ago, Generalchaos said:

Surely you must have heard the Thai News yesterday? Today is the end of the rain for Thailand this year....according to my wife and the TV! Maybe someone needs to tell it to the weather.

I doubt there will be much flooding this year, it is already mid November and the peak in Chiang Mai is usually October. If anything there might be some localised "puddles" but as for the rain supply, next year is going to be absolute HELL up here for the farmers, they won't have enough water to wash their <deleted>!

2 points - one is CM peak rainfall occurs in Aug/Sept, not October as you state.

Dams in the province are well above average capacity for a normal rainy season, in fact many have been over 100% full for months.

I'm glad about this, I lived in Melbourne though a 14 year drought, which is why I always enquire as to whether the rain is falling in the catchment area.  

Any rain is good in a drought, but it can absoluteness throw it down and be no help at all; the only rain of any use is the water that falls into the catchment area.  The rest just waters your garden and takes a layer of topsoil to leave as dredge elsewhere.