Luggage Lookers: Major Thai airports to X-ray incoming items on baggage carousel

webfact

I am surprised that this is legal. Presently you declare if you have (nothing) to declare by choosing red or green exits. Scanning everything on arrival for content (not explosives etc.) is - IMHO - a blow to privacy and legally questionable. 
So it means that the real goodies go back into the hand luggage then 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And if people put that kind of stuff in their hand luggage??? Security at the airport where the passenger embarked won't care if dutiable goods are in the bag - they're only looking for knives and liquids and so on. So they are spending 2 billion baht without thinking it through and realising that there is a massive loophole in their plan. Which, of course, is the kind of thing we expect in Thailand.

8 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

My Bag always got pulled out by the Sniffer Dog in Poland almost every time on my many trips a year their. A bit annoying after awhile as you go to a private room, empty everything out of your suitcase, and have a Customs Official do a close inspection on it and every thing else.

I have never carried anything like illegal drugs before and in this suitcase so I was puzzled why he always chose my bag. It got to the point that I knew the sniffer dog by name (Brutus) and he would smile at me every time he saw me.

The Customs Official was surprised by this to, as Brutus is seldom wrong, so after further investigation with his superiors, he concluded that my suitcase must have rubbed against another suitcase that did have drugs it it, on some other flight, and why Brutus could still smell it.

Amazing Dog and a sense of smell to detect something so small and so long ago. But he did cost me a new suitcase even though my old one was still like new. But Brutus still smiled at me and wagged his tail when I walked past him next time. But lucky for me I didn't have to stop for another visit.   

Sad, isn't it, that a humble canine can see better than us, hear better than us and smell better than us. :sad:

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

And if people put that kind of stuff in their hand luggage???

I always bring in 400 cigarettes to Swampy and keep both cartons in my cabin case as I can't stand the cigarettes sold in LOS.  Never been stopped and even if I was, I would put my hands up and pay the fine as I'm well up already and hardly the end of the world.

21 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

I am surprised that this is legal. Presently you declare if you have (nothing) to declare by choosing red or green exits. Scanning everything on arrival for content (not explosives etc.) is - IMHO - a blow to privacy and legally questionable. 

Really. Go tell the New Zealand government that they can't scan everyone's bags on arrival. Be prepared to be laughed at though.

Such X-ray or scan is normal in south Korea for in and out and I got caught twice in Seoul and they had installed a belt around my luggage with alarm so it was mandatory to stop on the red line for custom clearance............and they took out a small knife which I got from the local Korean market months earlier and second time it was for 3 bottles of wine and one bottle champagne..........I lost the knife but I can take it back if I leave the country at the same airport and for the wine it was a fine as only one bottle allowed .............I am wondering how it will be in Thailand........?

I've gone through the new International Terminal at Phuket Airport twice and both times they were x-raying every bag including cabin luggage. I believe this is now standard practice and didn't cause much of a hold-up on these two occasions.

I was pulled over last week as they were interested in a piece of electrical equipment I had in my case: a waffle maker. The customs lady asked what it was, I told her. She asked the price, I told her. I didn't have a receipt but could have showed her the online price if it had been necessary but it wasn't. She had a quick look through the bag which contained a few blocks of cheese, a couple of jars of Branston pickle, various chocolate bars and a few other assorted goodies from Britain. Not interested at all. The only items she asked about were a couple of DVD comedy box sets. I was on my way within two minutes.

I think they will be looking for over-the-limit cigarettes and alcohol and I think I'd be wary about bringing in meats or fruit but for those bringing in a few delicacies for personal consumption, I don't think there will be anything to worry about.  

Gee I had a 4.5 kg of protein powder in my suitcase a few years back. (Stuff is Damm expensive here) I thought for sure it would get attention but it went through no problem. Also had a bag of msm a white powder supplement that looks like a drug. thought for sure they would question  me ...still no problem.

5 hours ago, thai3 said:

what's not allowed, or chargeable  as far as food stuff goes then?

This is a REALLY good question.

And I have not found a answer that actually provide an answer.

According to Suvarnabhumi homepage would you be required to get permission from the Food and Drugs Administration to bring food here.

I have read a lot of posts here on TV about people bringing cheese, sausages and other stuff. 

So many chances to get some extra income for custom workers I guess. :crazy:

Hope I'm wrong and some one can post a link with better news regarding this.:wai:

From 

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/1002-customs-services

- Controlled items are some items which are controlled by laws for importing into or exporting from the country. To import or export restricted/controlled items requires a permit with written authorization from the stated government agency in order to pass Customs formalities. For example,

* Buddha images, artifacts, antiques by the Fine Arts Department  
* Firearms, ammunition, explosives by the Department of Provincial Administration, Ministry of Interior
* Plants and other parts of plants by the Department of Agriculture
* Live animals and animal remains by the Department of Livestock Development or the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation
* Food and drugs by the Food and Drugs Administration
* Vehicle parts by the Ministry of Industry
* Cigarette, tobacco, and alcohol by the Excise Department
* Radio communication devices and telecommunication equipments by  the Office of Specific Business Licenses, Office of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission

Whatever they will do you must be very unlucky to be caught, especially here where they are lazy assss...

I have been carrying undeclared thousand dollar goods to more than 20 countries during more than 20 years and have never been checked even once.

What will happen when they catch me ? Pay the fine and say thank you for the next 20 years when they won't catch anything again.

So funny that some people could even think that any custom or police check anywhere in the would could really be efficient, ever wonder why drug is everywhere and will be everywhere forever ?

It's just like parcels sent by post all around the world, customs seize less than 5% of drugs or any other illegal products and they will never be better because they are already doing their maximum.

Laughable.

I am a privacy fan too, but I will bet that it is wholly legal for the government - be that customs or otherwise - to inspect incoming baggage at the governments sole discretion and without the need for either probable cause (or its equivalent) or a court order/warrant... essentially this is largely the same as when incoming international mail or parcels are imported - customs retains the right to open and inspect the contents without the senders or recipients explicit permission .... and I think there is a legitimate security and taxation compliance case to be made for the government to have this legal authority.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, crackhouseparty said:

This hare-brained scheme will go south as fast as all their other ding dong ideas.  Give it a few days of absolute chaos and the plan will be revised, as always.

You are totally right with that one. It looks like being a total horror show particularly when all the Chinese and other Asian people try to go through with all their enormous taped up cardboard and polystyrene boxes. A tourists baggage nightmare coming true. Que Madame TAT.

Just another "not thought through" bright idea by the Thai regulators. Is there anything they can ever get right?

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Is that a word?

If so does it mean can cream even more money off any and every one coming here?

Or is that just the vibe being given off by those behind the policy?

I would imagine a considerable number of people avoid duty when bringing things into Thailand above their allowed limit. Just as many people do when returning home to their own country.

Designer bags, jewelry, perfumes, new clothes, expensive shoes, the odd pearl necklace or two or twenty etc etc etc.

Normally it's a matter of paying the VAT unless that item has a specific customs tariff duty also payable. Prohibited items are as the word suggests not allowed to be brought in. 

Different countries adopt different and varying approaches. India used to x-ray all cases before going on the carousel and chalk an "X" on ones customs should open. I used to spit on my hankie and wipe it off,  in front of the customs. They never seemed bothered. UK sort of bothers sometimes IME. But I guess they're watching everyone and know who the real crooks are. Tourists and business travelers ain't that interesting. Here, well they may now adopt the Aussie, US type approach - especially on any villain with some foodstuff of some sort. 

Every Thai lady I know used to cram suitcases full of all sorts of food products, including fresh home smoked dried fish and sea food. Not one ever got stopped at Heathrow, Edinburgh, Manchester or Birmingham. That was several years ago mind. Might be different now but not heard any complain so far!

We had an 'item', identical to this as shown:

walking monk.jpg

in Checked Baggage, flying out of LOS, went with us to Europe, then came back to BKK, then flew out back to OZ

no eyelid batted

Lucky we didn't have any cans of Spam, with shards of bone in them...

I'm amazed to watch the Chinese,Thaiwanese etc walk through pushing trolley loads with large suitcases, multiple boxes and large plastic bags in the green lane and the custom agents just stand there and let them go, while I'm freaking out that I have an extra bottle of wine in my luggage

11 hours ago, pookiki said:

There is an allowable limit on items brought in -- I forget the amount.  Just keep your receipts.  IF the custom officials want to tally everything in a person's luggage, it will take hours to get out of the airport.

10k baht by the looks of it: http://internet1.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/travellers/allowance+and+relief/allowancerelief

That is nearly $3 million per scanner, must be expensive to install them.

About 300 millimeter-wave scanners are currently in U.S. airports. The TSA plans to install 250 more by next spring. About 250 X-ray scanners are currently in U.S. airports. The U.S. uses L-3 Communications' ProVision scanner, which costs $170,000 to $180,000 a piece.

I usually bring my GF some perfume which costs about a third of what it does in Jungceylon (which explains why the perfume counter is always empty in rhere) in spite of paying 21% VAT on it back home. I think Thai Customs levies about 35% import duty with 7% VAT over the top of that on cosmetics. Bad news if I'm going to be clobbered on arrival. Let's hope Phuket has one of its famous power cuts and the x-ray machine goes offline on the day I arrive.

apologies if I misunderstand this but if they are scanning every bag, if I visit on holiday to see the in-laws and arrive with my clothes etc in a suitcase, how do they know I'm returning home with said contents of my bag, or any they going to be looking out for things still tagged aka new?