Nobel no-show: Dylan not coming to Stockholm to get prize

webfact

Nobel no-show: Dylan not coming to Stockholm to get prize

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) — Bob Dylan won't be coming to Stockholm to pick up his 2016 Nobel Prize for literature at the Dec. 10 prize ceremony.

The Swedish Academy said Wednesday that Dylan told them "he wishes he could receive the prize personally, but other commitments make it unfortunately impossible."

The 75-year-old American singer-songwriter was awarded the prize on Oct. 13 "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition."

The literature prize and five other Nobel Prizes will be officially conferred upon winners in Stockholm next month on the anniversary of award founder Alfred Nobel's death in 1896.

Details about who would accept the award on Dylan's behalf were unclear — more information on that was expected Friday.

Permanent Secretary Sara Danius told Swedish news agency TT the academy received "a personal letter" from Dylan and that he "underlined that he feels extremely honored by the Nobel Prize."

The Academy said it "respects Bob Dylan's decision," adding that not travelling to the Swedish capital to personally pick up the prestigious award was "unusual, but not exceptional."

In 2004, Austrian playwright and novelist Elfriede Jelinek stayed home, citing a social phobia.

"The award is still theirs, as it now belongs to Bob Dylan," the Academy said. "We are looking forward to Bob Dylan's Nobel lecture, which he must hold, according to the requirements, within six months" from Dec. 10.

Dylan at first was silent after the Nobel announcement but eventually said getting the award left him "speechless."

Dylan has accepted numerous awards over the years, including the Presidential Medal of Freedom, which he picked up at a White House ceremony in 2012. A year later, he became the first rock star voted into the elite American Academy of Arts and Letters, which made him an honorary member.

In 2000, Dylan traveled to Stockholm to collect the Polar Music Prize from Sweden's King Carl XVI Gustaf.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-11-17

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

He did not seek it. He did not ask for it.  He owes the Nobel committee nothing.

If you don't think this will not have an affect on another American songwriter receiving the award I think you are mistaken.

What he does is an insult. If Mr Dylan hasn't got 2 days time to receive the probably most precious prize in the world than something is very wrong with this guy. Period.

He never asked for it.

Maybe he doesn't want to go to Sweden.

Maybe he doesn't jump when people say jump.

Maybe he saw Obama getting the prize for nothing and thinks it is worthless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Tarteso said:

Although I like your music...You are ungrateful, stupid and arrogant old man.

Take your million and run.

Grateful for what? Here are the members of the Nobel Committee for Literature, the people who chose Bob Dylan.  

Per Wästberg (Chairman)
FD, Writer

Kjell Espmark
FD, Emeritus Professor, Writer

Anders Olsson
Professor, Writer

Kristina Lugn
Writer

Horace Engdahl
Professor, Writer

Associate Members

Sara Danius
Professor, Writer

Katarina Frostenson
Writer

Why should anybody give a toss what they think or rearrange his or her life to accommodate them? What makes them or that prize so special?

9 hours ago, rustinorman said:

What he does is an insult. If Mr Dylan hasn't got 2 days time to receive the probably most precious prize in the world than something is very wrong with this guy. Period.

I could hardly get my 75 year old father to leave the house and off his sofa, let alone fly all the way to Sweden. So unless you are 75 years old and yet still living a very active and busy life, I wouldn't knock him too much for not wanting to go that far.

He may have Medical Problems for all you know and that he doesn't want the whole world to know about right now. It is good enough that he is very grateful for this award. To expect more than that is asking too much from a man who has given so much already.   

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

Grateful for what? Here are the members of the Nobel Committee for Literature, the people who chose Bob Dylan.  

Per Wästberg (Chairman)
FD, Writer

Kjell Espmark

Anders Olsson
Professor, Writer

Kristina Lugn
Writer

Horace Engdahl
Professor, Writer

Associate Members

Sara Danius
Professor, Writer

Katarina Frostenson
Writer

Why should anybody give a toss what they think or rearrange his or her life to accommodate them? What makes them or that prize so special?

What makes the Medal of Honor so Special? What makes the Victoria Cross so Special? What makes the Mona Lisa so Special? 

What makes this so special is that there are so many other writers out there, and many deserving of this prize, but only one was selected. So the rarity of this prize makes it so Special.

"  could hardly get my 75 year old father to leave the house and off his sofa, let alone fly all the way to Sweden. So unless you are 75 years old and yet still living a very active and busy life, I wouldn't knock him too much for not wanting to go that far. "

soon expect the 75 year old tv members that moved to pattaya to get on dylans case

Edited by atyclb

4 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Per Wästberg (Chairman)
FD, Writer

Kjell Espmark

Anders Olsson
Professor, Writer

Kristina Lugn
Writer

Horace Engdahl
Professor, Writer

Associate Members

Sara Danius
Professor, Writer

Katarina Frostenson
Writer

Agreed...the Nobel Prize became something akin to an MTV award when they awarded Obama a peace prize for his potential, and Al Gore a peace prize for his shoddy and hypocritical work on global warming...since then Obama escalated the war(s) and Gore has made millions off his companies, all the while proclaiming a worldwide emergency...

34 minutes ago, atyclb said:

"  could hardly get my 75 year old father to leave the house and off his sofa, let alone fly all the way to Sweden. So unless you are 75 years old and yet still living a very active and busy life, I wouldn't knock him too much for not wanting to go that far. "

soon expect the 75 year old tv members that moved to pattaya to get on dylans case

It's clear with the TVF interest that  if Bob can't make it one of us should go to receive it on his behalf. Perhaps Scott could start a poll to decide the lucky winner.

Alternatively I recommend the owners of Thai Visa offer a free one way ticket to Stockholm to the winner of the annual  poster of the year,  POTY ( far more prestigious currently than POTUS) to accept the honour in his place.

13 hours ago, pegman said:

If you don't think this will not have an affect on another American songwriter receiving the award I think you are mistaken.

So you are saying that the Nobel committee have frail ego's and will take revenge on other artists because of this?

Fck 'em then.

They can take their ball back home. 

Edited by Dagnabbit

I've never been a huge Dylan fan, but he has made an enormous contribution to music.  I remember sitting around smokey folk clubs back in the mid 60's, drinking Cinzano and smoking Gaulois...so damned cool, or maybe we just thought we were?

The award to Al Gore devalued the prestige of the prize enormously.  I didn't realize there was a category for 'faity tales'??  At least Trump is onto that issue.

Obama.....if it had been awarded for refocusing efforts, and subsequently killing that PoS, osama bin laden, then it would have been well deserved.  New Nobel award for Taking out the Trash!!!

Edited by F4UCorsair
addition

He was given an honorary degree once, can't recall which American university it was.  He wrote a song about how much he hated it.  Can't recall the name of the song, but I'm pretty sure it was pre-1970.  Perhaps a local Dylanologist can fill us in.

The fellow is certainly not ego-less, but he may be uncomfortable being publicly feted.

29 minutes ago, bendejo said:

He was given an honorary degree once, can't recall which American university it was.  He wrote a song about how much he hated it.  Can't recall the name of the song, but I'm pretty sure it was pre-1970.  Perhaps a local Dylanologist can fill us in.

The fellow is certainly not ego-less, but he may be uncomfortable being publicly feted.

I think he wrote "Day Of The Locusts" about receiving an honorary degree from Princeton. Might have been another university as he has received many honorary degrees.

23 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

I have to admit that I think it a little weird that he is not going to pick it up personally. It really is an honor.

I beg to disagree. First, there is no requirement that the person awarded the prize must collect it in person. Others did the same before. The only requirement is that he should give a "Nobel lecture" within one year.

Second, Nobel prizes are a joke IMHO, especially those for literature - though not as big a joke as those for peace.