Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

Maybe, had you read the entire thing, you would understand why clarification is important!

"It would replace one-year renewable visas and come in two installments of five years each, Athisit said. It was not immediately clear when the plan would be implemented"

If that doesn't concern you, you're a better man than me!

Nope, not concerned.  People are getting hung up on the word 'replace'.  When they see it, they think, uh-oh, something is being eliminated.  In this case, it means that people from 14 selected countries, and only 14,  will have the option of REPLACING whatever they now use with the new, optional 10 year visa, if they meet the requirements.  It doesn't mean what they currently use is being REPLACED and it's not mandatory that they change to the 10 year.  If or when it goes into play, it will be offered as a limited option for those who might be interested in a longer visa choice. 

On 12/10/2016 at 1:50 AM, tonyphinn said:

gin boy2 were did you get this quote just interested ?

The quote comes from the OP link to Khaosod. Sometimes you really do need to read all of the post, not just the headline!

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2016/11/22/govt-approves-10-year-visas-foreigners-50/

Edited by GinBoy2

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although that report is from Nov 22 2016

...and, has there been any further clarification after that?

I'm just responding the reports we have. Everyone can speculate or spin whatever they want, but I'm a facts kinda guy and take at face value what I read.

Many here can read, then interpret those words into whatever they want to believe them to mean. I on the other hand take the position, take them at face value, plan for it, then be pleasantly surprised when it's wrong

Edited by GinBoy2

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 3:28 PM, CharlieK said:

do you really think the majority of existing O-A visas are going to be kicked out if they can't afford the new 10 year visa?

My single entry O-A visa died the moment I used it to enter the country over 10 years ago.

Most people I know are on yearly extensions of stay. Their visas died years ago too.

Just sayin'...

My single entry O-A visa died the moment I used it to enter the country over 10 years ago.

Most people I know are on yearly extensions of stay. Their visas died years ago too.

Just sayin'...

Your visa was good for a year and actually died when you replaced it with an extension of stay, but your point is well taken.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

7 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

Your visa was good for a year and actually died when you replaced it with an extension of stay, but your point is well taken.

So according to your logic, you no longer have a visa when you get an extension of stay. If someone asks you what visa you have you say "no, I don't have a visa"? When Thai companies (eg. Internet, telephone) ask you about your visa you tell them you don't have one?

I disagree with that. You do have a visa, upon which your yearly extensions of stay are based. Every time you apply for an extension of stay you need to provide a copy of your original visa.

I know they are no longer necessary, but the old 90-day reporting forms had a field asking you which visa you had, with 2 options: "non-imm" or "tourist".

What did you fill out?

The only way to kill your visa is to leave without a re-entry permit.

So according to your logic, you no longer have a visa when you get an extension of stay. If someone asks you what visa you have you say "no, I don't have a visa"? When Thai companies (eg. Internet, telephone) ask you about your visa you tell them you don't have one?

I disagree with that. You do have a visa, upon which your yearly extensions of stay are based. Every time you apply for an extension of stay you need to provide a copy of your original visa.

I know they are no longer necessary, but the old 90-day reporting forms had a field asking you which visa you had, with 2 options: "non-imm" or "tourist".

What did you fill out?

The only way to kill your visa is to leave without a re-entry permit.

Your thinking would be incorrect. When one obtains an extension of stay, that visa is dead and done. And no, when you apply for a new extension of stay you do not need to provide a copy of that long dead visa.

If your legal status here is based on a retirement extension, that extension is based on extension(s) of either an O or O-A visa. The functional use of that original visa as far as entering the country is finished by then, but it still serves a function as the base of continuous extensions. Under current law, there is no limit on the number of continuous extensions. If you break the chain of continuous extensions, you need to get a new O or O-A visa if you want to continue with legal status based on retirement. 

To add to this, it is my understanding that at least at Jomtien office, they DO require a copy of the original (and often VERY OLD) visa for all retirement extensions. In the case of a new passport where the original visa is in an old passport, a copy of the stamp where they transferred the old passport number and visa information is sufficient. 

Relating to THIS actual topic, an interesting question is IF the new 5/10 year thing replaces NEW O-A visas obtained in limited nations abroad, wouldn't there need to be an official GRANDFATHERING RULE to make it clear that those that obtained O-A visas under the current (pre 5/10 year Long Stay visa goes into effect) can still do annual extensions based on the current rules. That is a specific question for those on retirement extensions that originally had an O-A visa rather than an O visa. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Every time you apply for an extension of stay you need to provide a copy of your original visa.

Incorrect - never had to do that in over 10 years. in Bangkok and Phuket.

Edited by JetsetBkk
Added Bangkok and Phuket. Hard luck Jomtien people.

25 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

To add to this, it is my understanding that at least at Jomtien office, they DO require a copy of the original (and often VERY OLD) visa for all retirement extensions. In the case of a new passport where the original visa is in an old passport, a copy of the stamp where they transferred the old passport number and visa information is sufficient. 

Relating to THIS actual topic, an interesting question is IF the new 5/10 year thing replaces NEW O-A visas obtained in limited nations abroad, wouldn't there need to be an official GRANDFATHERING RULE to make it clear that those that obtained O-A visas under the current (pre 5/10 year Long Stay visa goes into effect) can still do annual extensions based on the current rules. That is a specific question for those on retirement extensions that originally had an O-A visa rather than an O visa. 

re. old Visa - never had to show a copy in Phuket when applying for extension of stay.

re. O-A Grandfathering: that's what we assume would happen, otherwise we all go to Cambo, Viet, Malay, Costa Rica...

Edited by JetsetBkk
Add Costa Rica (very nice place)

52 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Incorrect - never had to do that in over 10 years. in Bangkok and Phuket.

Do in chaing mai wants aphoto copy of your non o and have asked the same in over 10 years

Edited by true blue
Photo coyp

7 minutes ago, true blue said:

Do in chaing mai wants aphoto copy of your non o and have asked the same in over 10 years

Also in Jomtien.

If they see your current valid annual extension based on retirement when you're applying for a new one, it's totally obvious that you have gotten continuous extensions which started some time in the past with an O or O-A visa.
Perhaps some offices want to save paper and/or have records anyway on file on the original visa.

Your thinking would be incorrect. When one obtains an extension of stay, that visa is dead and done. And no, when you apply for a new extension of stay you do not need to provide a copy of that long dead visa.

Lol your thinking is incorrect. The visa is alive until you leave without a re-entry permit. After that you will need to apply for a new visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

I have also always had to provide a copy of my original visa for extensions AND for re-entry permits and even my first arrival stamp way back then.

Rather than a copy of the original visa, I have always provided a copy of the "transfer stamp" that Immigration put in my new passport. Amongst other things, this stamp has the date I arrived in Thailand using the O-A visa, and the date of last entry into Thailand.

Lol your thinking is incorrect. The visa is alive until you leave without a re-entry permit. After that you will need to apply for a new visa.

Not correct. You don't need a new visa to re-enter, if you're on an Extension, but if you don't have re-entry permit you will only be admitted for 30 days and then you'll need to leave!

Here's my thinking:

The Visa gets you into the country,

The "Permitted To Stay" stamp allows you to stay, and

The Re-entry Permit allows you to come back in provided you do so before the "Permitted to Stay" date.

re. the photocopy of Visa needed for Extensions of Stay application:

- if you don't have the visa in your current passport, then a copy of the "Transfer Stamp" will suffice (in Phuket, at least)

- if you do have it still in your current passport, then you need to provide a copy.

4 hours ago, tropo said:

Every time you apply for an extension of stay you need to provide a copy of your original visa.

So on reflection I think you are right here. It is only not needed (in Phuket) if you have a "Transfer Stamp" in a new passport.

I remember being a little disappointed the first time I had the "Transfer stamp" added to my new passport, as the rather pretty and multicoloured Thailand Visa (which filled a whole page) was replaced by a rather boring looking black and white template.

Edited by JetsetBkk

Here's my thinking:

The "Permitted To Stay" stamp allows you to stay, and
The Re-entry Permit allows you to come back in provided you do so before the "Permitted to Stay" date.

re. the photocopy of Visa needed for Extensions of Stay application:

- if you don't have the visa in your current passport, then a copy of the "Transfer Stamp" will suffice (in Phuket, at least)
- if you do have it still in your current passport, then you need to provide a copy.

So on reflection I think you are right here. It is only not needed (in Phuket) if you have a "Transfer Stamp" in a new passport.

I remember being a little disappointed the first time I had the "Transfer stamp" added to my new passport, as the rather pretty and multicoloured Thailand Visa (which filled a whole page) was replaced by a rather boring looking black and white template.

I've had 12 Extensions of Stay since moving to Thailand. My original non B visa was granted in 2005 and was in a passport that expired in 2009. I have never been asked for, or had to produce, a copy of my original visa.

1 hour ago, JetsetBkk said:

Here's my thinking:

The "Permitted To Stay" stamp allows you to stay

here's my thinking:

all over the world a visa gets you into a specific country (if the immigration officer agrees). all over the world visas have a certain validity which can be specified or unspecified.

the expression "extension of stay" is one of the usual Thai ridiculous lukewarm farts which was actually invented that "learned" expats can lecture dumb expats that "a visa is not a visa but..." the same applies to "visa waiver" where a foreigner gets a visa stamp in his passport. those who deny that should inform themselves about the meaning of the word "visa".

:coffee1:

14 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I've had 12 Extensions of Stay since moving to Thailand. My original non B visa was granted in 2005 and was in a passport that expired in 2009. I have never been asked for, or had to produce, a copy of my original visa.

same same, not different.

Back to the original topic...

Did anyone catch this masterpiece in the Phuket Gazette? (are we still allowed to quote from them?):

"This visa will eventually replace the current one-year renewable visa for which the applicant must place 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account for a minimum of six months prior to visa application."

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-property/Across-Land-Proposed-10year-visa-over50s

Written by a real estate agent.  rolleyes .gif

33 minutes ago, Naam said:

all over the world visas have a certain validity which can be specified or unspecified

To be precise, the "validity" of a visa is the period during which you must use it to enter the country.

So my single entry Thai O-A visa was valid for 3 months, meaning I had to use it within 3 months of the issue date on the visa stamp in my passport.

Once in Thailand, I got a "Permitted To Stay" stamp with a date in it of 1 year in the future.

/end lecture   biggrin.gif

5 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Rather than a copy of the original visa, I have always provided a copy of the "transfer stamp" that Immigration put in my new passport. Amongst other things, this stamp has the date I arrived in Thailand using the O-A visa, and the date of last entry into Thailand.

Yes, that will happen once I renew my passport.