Internet banking

Gandtee

I've been using internet banking for years and never had a problem.  I run internet banking on both my Mac and iPhone.  I also use a PC when in Thailand.

The onus is on you though to keep your PC/Mac/mobile phone as free from viruses as is possible.  I'd also recommend a good quality VPN on all your devices.

Edited by bubblewrap

A lot can go wrong....yiu can get hacked....your password copied via a keylogger program.....once the moneys stolen the bank will not return it. 

I would use it inly if no other option exists...and only on a dedicated laptop which you dont use to download films etc. 

1 minute ago, JHolmesJr said:

I would use it inly if no other option exists...and only on a dedicated laptop which you dont use to download films etc. 

I can understand your paranoia and respect that it's your money that's at stake if things go belly up, JHolmesJr.  But a dedicated laptop really isn't necessary.

I'm more paranoid in LOS than I am in the UK, particularly as I use a PC for my banking activities in LOS.  A full scan of the Thai PC prior to logging in to my UK bank accounts is normal and the VPN is constantly active.  I really don't anticipate any problems.

At home in the UK on my Mac I will just run my VPN in the background.

As you have posted this to general when there is a specific banking forum here perhaps best to listen to wife?:smile:  Although it is normally quite safe mistakes can be made and it can be confusing even for younger folks who grew up with computers.  

I have used it for many years

Seems as secure as other countries + many even have email notifications

or text messages anytime your account is accessed...

But I keep large accounts with no ATM access

Then I feed the ATM account in smaller amounts say 10-30k at a time

Only reason I did this is the only problems I have ever heard of were ATM related

But those folks did in fact get reimbursed

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

As you have posted this to general when there is a specific banking forum here perhaps best to listen to wife?:smile:  Although it is normally quite safe mistakes can be made and it can be confusing even for younger folks who grew up with computers.  

I thought you'd encourage the guy, lopburi.  It's never too late to start getting a grip on the modern world.

Notwithstanding, internet banking is highly convenient when used correctly.  Gone are the days of queueing in banks and signing cheques.  It's just so 1980s. 

I'm regularly mixing it up with internet banking on different continents, taking advantage of favourable exchange rates, paying my various cards off to avoid fees in the blink of an eye.

Shame on you.

He has two strikes against him with the wife not having trust so any mistake would likely be a major issue and probably not worth the chance - I do use and at mid 70's do make some mistakes (so far minor) but without good security he could be putting there money at risk and I have no way to judge that or what he may want to do online.  People do live without  internet banking even today.

I still get checks to sign from insurance - but deposit them using internet.  But I have used postal service in the recent past.

I've had HSBC UK online banking for years and never a problem, it requires a small device to generate a different number based on an algorithm that must be input before logging on.

But today I started to use my UOB Thailand online banking for the very first time and I'm impressed. Every time I log on it sends me an SMS with a one time password which must be entered and then after wards it sends me an email telling me that my online account was accessed. Add some common sense and the usual precautions to the home PC (only) and I feel comfortable about it all.

18 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

He has two strikes against him with the wife not having trust so any mistake would likely be a major issue and probably not worth the chance - I do use and at mid 70's do make some mistakes (so far minor) but without good security he could be putting there money at risk and I have no way to judge that or what he may want to do online.  People do live without  internet banking even today.

I still get checks to sign from insurance - but deposit them using internet.  But I have used postal service in the recent past.

The 'shame on you' was tongue in cheek as I'm sure you'll understand, lopburi. :wink:

I think mania's post which described a good backup plan with having two accounts for shifting funds about in LOS is totally valid.  No need really in the UK as the banks pretty much guarantees against internet fraud, but understand this isn't quite the case in LOS.  Though still not something to get complacent about as who wants the hassle of having your account exploited.

Another idea is to have your online transactions double checked for accuracy by your nearest and dearest before hitting the 'go' button.  Only takes a minute.

20 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

But today I started to use my UOB Thailand online banking for the very first time and I'm impressed. Every time I log on it sends me an SMS with a one time password which must be entered and then after wards it sends me an email telling me that my online account was accessed. Add some common sense and the usual precautions to the home PC (only) and I feel comfortable about it all.

I have a Bangkok Bank account and receive an instantaneous email informing me each time my account is accessed even though I spend the majority of the year in the UK.  That's pretty good security, even for Thailand.

1 hour ago, bubblewrap said:

The 'shame on you' was tongue in cheek as I'm sure you'll understand, lopburi. :wink:

I think mania's post which described a good backup plan with having two accounts for shifting funds about in LOS is totally valid.  No need really in the UK as the banks pretty much guarantees against internet fraud, but understand this isn't quite the case in LOS.  Though still not something to get complacent about as who wants the hassle of having your account exploited.

Another idea is to have your online transactions double checked for accuracy by your nearest and dearest before hitting the 'go' button.  Only takes a minute.

I use both local and US account internet access and find it very useful and almost made the wife double check suggestion but not sure what we are talking about - local banks or home country and she might be even less able to handle or he might not want.  Before internet access I used to use the phone banking system here and that also worked quite well and here there is an ATM with multi functions on every street so that may also be a viable option if just talking Thailand (and with new chip cards a lot safer than in the past).  

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

... and here there is an ATM with multi functions on every street so that may also be a viable option if just talking Thailand (and with new chip cards a lot safer than in the past).  

I avoid ATMs like the plague, but that's my own personal preference.  I feel much safer with my own personal online safety systems and the banks additional security layers.  Just too many prying eyes on the street and with the added bonus of skimmers.  Absolutely, no way.

That is why I mentioned chip cards (which are now standard for new cards here).  Much less chance of any issues as they can not be skimmed in the normal manner and in some cases use 6 digit pin that also has to be entered at point of sale terminals.  

4 hours ago, bubblewrap said:

I've been using internet banking for years and never had a problem.  I run internet banking on both my Mac and iPhone.  I also use a PC when in Thailand.

The onus is on you though to keep your PC/Mac/mobile phone as free from viruses as is possible.  I'd also recommend a good quality VPN on all your devices.

Yes I agree on anti virus lots of good free ones around but I fail to see why you would need a VPN for your online banking here???

Using online banking since at least 2009 (probably longer) with multiple banks.

Never lost a cent.

Now using two German banks with TAN(OTP) generator device using chip cards from the bank.

Using three Thai banks with OTP via SMS to mobile phone.

With the encryption methods used by the banks there is no need for a VPN and also no problem with open wifi.

I always use my own PC or laptop, NEVER any public computers.

I never use banking via my Android smartphone.
This might sound a bit "old fashioned" but I am simply not into these devices for any critical business.

Save me from going into detail and would then also better be discussed in the IT forum.

3 hours ago, bubblewrap said:

I avoid ATMs like the plague, but that's my own personal preference.  I feel much safer with my own personal online safety systems and the banks additional security layers.  Just too many prying eyes on the street and with the added bonus of skimmers.  Absolutely, no way.

My personal preference as well after having 2 separate accounts with separate banks in my early days here relieved of significant amounts by ATM skimmers. This is the reason why I don't have any cards with my latest account. Any time I need cash I just make an internet transfer to my wife's account and she gets it for me. I still have debit and credit cards with my UK account for use in an emergency if need be.

14 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

A lot can go wrong....yiu can get hacked....your password copied via a keylogger program.....once the moneys stolen the bank will not return it. 

" A lot can go wrong....yiu can get hacked....your password copied via a keylogger program.....once the moneys stolen the bank will not return it.  "

Not quite true. My Aussie account was hacked a few years back. I was using a public, internet cafe in Pattaya at the time. Hacker drained my VISA credit card of the maximum. I wasn't aware till I returned  to Oz. Bank advised me of the issue & refunded the full amount, plus 3 months interest free transactions on said card.

Just saying.

I think it worth mentioning that when you transfer money in the Bangkok Bank to a third party they send an sms to your registered mobile number. If you change your mobile you have to also inform the bank of the change so that they can resume sending the sms to your registered mobile. As usual they require to see your passport etc and fill in a form, confirm your signature before making any such change. Then takes up to three days for the number to take affect.

Setting up new transfers to a third party also requires a OTP to your mobile to confirm the arrangement and another OTP for the first transfer you make to a new third party account. Following that you get the sms every time a transfer is made from your account.

Never ever had a problem with  Internet banking at all , but I do use a safe  Device like my I pad or my Laptop with great  security . 

But I do remember when I had the first thai gf she would always say are you sure GEORGE it is ok and I would say to my self why is she so  worried and I work out she thinks I could lose all my money and she would miss out on the free lifestyle  haha .

but she ended up missing out because I 

f??? Her off . 

1 hour ago, georgemandm said:

Never ever had a problem with  Internet banking at all , but I do use a safe  Device like my I pad or my Laptop with great  security . 

But I do remember when I had the first thai gf she would always say are you sure GEORGE it is ok and I would say to my self why is she so  worried and I work out she thinks I could lose all my money and she would miss out on the free lifestyle  haha .

but she ended up missing out because I 

f??? Her off . 

Just can't resist it can you.

On 11/23/2016 at 7:52 AM, Deepinthailand said:

Yes I agree on anti virus lots of good free ones around but I fail to see why you would need a VPN for your online banking here???

Because of geoblocking by some banks, you could have just googled the answer to this question.

Also, multiple question marks is very annoying.

Lastly, you should do your web browsing from a virtual machine or user account with limited permissions,  not an administrator account with anti-virus software.

Edited by BudRight

4 hours ago, BudRight said:

Because of geoblocking by some banks, you could have just googled the answer to this question.

Also, multiple question marks is very annoying.

Lastly, you should do your web browsing from a virtual machine or user account with limited permissions,  not an administrator account with anti-virus software.

Why would I want to Google something I already know about ????. There is no need for a VPN when doing on line banking to a Thai bank. thank you !!!!

On 11/24/2016 at 10:43 AM, georgemandm said:

What you not like it if I have my say on a  public forum and that is the truth because most thai woman want the free money 

Yes george, but on a thread about internet banking, your ongoing and somewhat tiresome tirade is all a bit out of place.