Certificate of Residence - Chiang Mai

Does anyone have current information on options for fast turnaround for a Certificate of Residence in Chiang Mai?

From what we have been told, this used to be a quick routine thing at Immigration costing about 500 Baht, but that the policy has changed. 

Some websites say agents can do 24-hour turnaround, but you can't tell if that may be old information.  The information from staff at Immigration indicated they only do this as a free service at Promenada, and there is a waiting queue of about 4 weeks just to submit the paperwork, and then several weeks to receive the certificate.

For the driver's license, you can satisfy the residence requirement with a certificate from the Consulate or Embassy, but for other needs, such as an application for a Yellow Book, only a Certificate of Residence from Immigration is accepted.

So, becoming resigned to a long wait, but asking here if anyone has ideas for faster turnaround.  Thanks in advance.

Certificate of Residence it `s free and you  now That  Ubonjoe ?

The Date are look the link under. But you delete it like all your workers Ubonjoe  some are Moderators in Thailand fore you ?

And I live in Det Udom not long way from you :)

Thursday, October 06, 2016 | 06:40 AM 

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-Immigration-denies-allegations-foreigners-pay-services/37149

Edited by nasa123

13 minutes ago, nasa123 said:

Certificate of Residence it `s free and you  now That  Ubonjoe ?

The Date are look the link under. But you delete it like all your workers Ubonjoe  some are Moderators in Thailand fore you ?

And I live in Det Udom not long way from you :)

Thursday, October 06, 2016 | 06:40 AM 

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-Immigration-denies-allegations-foreigners-pay-services/37149

I am aware they should be free but in reality a fee is asked for at many offices. What I wrote about in my post was getting it through an agent in CM.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have read posts that you can pay 500 baht to an agent near the office at Promenada and get it the same day or the next one.

Thank you, ubonjoe.

Appreciate all that you do to provide information on this forum.  Much appreciated.

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am aware they should be free but in reality a fee is asked for at many offices. What I wrote about in my post was getting it through an agent in CM.

If you have this paper ready whit 1 picture of you + 300 Bath under the table you have the  Certificate of Residence in 3 minute in Immigration in Phuket Town, if you don`t pay this 300 Bath you can walking home.

Paper Driver license Immigration.jpeg

I am currently doing the process in CM

1. Residence certificates are only handled by immigration for foreigners with long-term visas, i.e. Non-O. Folks with TR visas are asked to go to their respective embassies or consulates

2. There is no more 500 THB fast track

3. The process is as follows:

3a) Go to immigration on the upper floor of Promenada and get there early. You will be handed a queue number to register your appointment for handing in the application and necessary supporting documents. The officer usually accepts only 10-15 appointments per day. Time until appointment was ~4weeks in my case. You will be told which documents to bring - I will refrain from posting that information here, as this is susceptible to change

3b) Go to your appointment (on time, otherwise you will be cancelled), hand in your application and documents. You will be told on which day you can pick up your residence certificate. In my case ~2 weeks later

3c) Pick up your certificate

4. On the plus side, you can apply for more than one certificate at a time, i.e. you need one to register a car, another for the bank, etc and its free

5. It's a hassle...

Wow Chiang Mai seems a right hassle.

I got my residence cert at immigration elsewhere last week so I could buy a scooter. No appointments necessary.

I only have a tourist visa with 2 weeks left on it.

Turned up at 11:30 and got my ticket, filled out form with all my paperwork & photo's. Paid 300 baht. Only had to wait 20 mins from entering to leaving. Was out of there with my residence cert, straight to dealer & bought my scooter.

• 1 month later...

I am on a multiple entry non-o visa, my immigration office (samut sakhon) refused to produce certificate of residence, told me to go my embassy. they said they can only do it after I get an extension of stay at their office.

My embassy does not deliver anymore those certificates. what other options do I have?

6 weeks for a certificate of residence? That doesn't make any sense unless they surveil you and check if you really live where you claim you do. Since that's unlikely, the only reason to stall for so long from experience would be to encourage alternative paths like going through some agent.

• 11 months later...
8 minutes ago, garethsekai said:

Pls can I ask if I can only obtain a residence certificate within 24 hours of entering the country? I have been here for a month+ and stay at my own house so I assume - a letter from my wife to guarantee my address is required?

You seem to be confusing a certificate of residence with a TM30 form that is needed to report your presence at your residence within 24 hours of arrival at the residence.

A certificate of residence can be applied for at any time.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

You seem to be confusing a certificate of residence with a TM30 form that is needed to report your presence at your residence within 24 hours of arrival at the residence.

A certificate of residence can be applied for at any time.

hi ubonjoe,

thank you for the quick reply! yes indeed, i am confused but after reading through some posts, I am clear now.

Questions though - it appears that TM30 is required to obtain the driving license. so if i have been here for 1 month+ I assume I cannot obtain TM30 but have to do a border run first? I am on a 1 year multiple O.

Also, since i am living in my own house - i suppose a letter from my wife is sufficient to prove i am a resident? in lieu of the rental contract or yellow book

3 minutes ago, garethsekai said:

Questions though - it appears that TM30 is required to obtain the driving license. so if i have been here for 1 month+ I assume I cannot obtain TM30 but have to do a border run first? I am on a 1 year multiple O.

The TM30 form could still be done but your wife could be fined up to 2000 baht for not doing it before dependent upon the immigration office you have to go to.

3 minutes ago, garethsekai said:

Also, since i am living in my own house - i suppose a letter from my wife is sufficient to prove i am a resident? in lieu of the rental contract or yellow book

Your wife's house book and ID card would be enough to prove your residence since you are married.

• 9 months later...

UPDATE: went there today. It's now possible to get residence certificate same day, pickup at 5:30pm. Charge is 1000 baht. The old service of picking up next day is still available, pickup at 5:30pm, charge is 500 baht. I presume the "free" one is still available if you want to wait 10d ays - 2 weeks, but I didn't ask. You will need latest TM30 which I was able to get the day before.

• 1 month later...

Very useful info thanks all.  I want to get a driving license and bank account and will be arriving on a Non-Immigrant O visa.

So it appears I first nred to get my TM30 turn get my residence certificate and then I am able to apply for a bank account and driving license. 

Is my understanding correct?