Extension of stay at Hua Hin

Here in Pattaya I go before the doors are open so I am one of the first inside. I always meet some intersting expats while I am waiting for the office to open. From the times the doors open at 0800, I am finished before 0900.

Thanks for the updated info on the 10 year Visa. I dont think much of the 10 year Visa, as it does not make much sense to me. I really do not see what the advantages are either to the government or the expat. Every 90 days I renew and my fourth visit is also Visa renewal. With the 10 year you still visit immigration every 90 days. So it does not save you from the 4th visit.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, everett kendall said:

Here in Pattaya I go before the doors are open so I am one of the first inside. I always meet some intersting expats while I am waiting for the office to open. From the times the doors open at 0800, I am finished before 0900.

Thanks for the updated info on the 10 year Visa. I dont think much of the 10 year Visa, as it does not make much sense to me. I really do not see what the advantages are either to the government or the expat. Every 90 days I renew and my fourth visit is also Visa renewal. With the 10 year you still visit immigration every 90 days. So it does not save you from the 4th visit.

I think it would save the annual extension visit, but is that worth tying up THB3,000,000?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

I think it would save the annual extension visit, but is that worth tying up THB3,000,000?

In my opinion, not really, (assuming you do that instead of the monthly income option).

Think about it. You have to lock 3 million into an account and can't touch it for a year. Then, you can only withdraw up to half of it, which can only be spent on whatever the government decides you can use it for (healthcare or condo or whatever they decide you can do with your money). The other 1.5 mil has to stay in the account for the next 4 years. One can assume that if you touch that sum, you risk having your visa cancelled.

Then, according to the one article at least and subject to change of course, when you go to renew the visa at the 5 year mark, you have to have the full 3 million in the account again, locked in for another year.

That means (according to the small amount of info available currently) that you will be required to keep 1.5 million baht locked into an account, untouched, until you either leave Thailand (permanently) or change visas or die. 

But who knows ? The actual rules could be quite different. There are all manner of things they could change by the time they are actually ready to issue these new visas.

16 hours ago, worrab said:

It was an absolute pleasure to have gone there this morning and to have been served once again by very kind and polite staff. 

Yes, Hua Hin Immigration is very good.

I always feel lucky to live in the province when I read about problems that other members have when they go to other Immigration offices

1 hour ago, everett kendall said:

So it does not save you from the 4th visit.

Right but the 90 days report is nothing compared to a renewal of the extension.

In my case, the 90 days is reported in Dan Singkohn and the renewal in Hua Hin. Even if it's a pleasure to go to that office, the big difference is 100km...

16 hours ago, worrab said:

I arrived just before 08.30 and was fourth in the queue to be seen. By 09.00 I was walking out with everything completed and a re-entry permit. All that was required was TM 7, TM 8, the usual photocopies of passport, bank book with verification letter

I assume that if you arrived before 08.30 you must have gone to the bank the previous day. Immigration told me a long time ago that the bank book & verification letter had to be dated the same day as the application for extension. Is that no longer the case?

Thanks

Whatever change there is in the immigration rules, there is never anything to the advantage of the average  expat.

This new visa is only going to benefit the richest of the expats, which again proves that only them are really welcomed

here in Thailand.

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

In my opinion, not really, (assuming you do that instead of the monthly income option).

Think about it. You have to lock 3 million into an account and can't touch it for a year. Then, you can only withdraw up to half of it, which can only be spent on whatever the government decides you can use it for (healthcare or condo or whatever they decide you can do with your money). The other 1.5 mil has to stay in the account for the next 4 years. One can assume that if you touch that sum, you risk having your visa cancelled.

Then, according to the one article at least and subject to change of course, when you go to renew the visa at the 5 year mark, you have to have the full 3 million in the account again, locked in for another year.

That means (according to the small amount of info available currently) that you will be required to keep 1.5 million baht locked into an account, untouched, until you either leave Thailand (permanently) or change visas or die. 

But who knows ? The actual rules could be quite different. There are all manner of things they could change by the time they are actually ready to issue these new visas.

Good post, but your last paragraph, but you can bet that if anything does change, it will not be to your advantage.

18 hours ago, worrab said:

Went into Immigration at Hua Hin today to renew my extension of stay based on retirement and my 90 day report.  I arrived just before 08.30 and was fourth in the queue to be seen. By 09.00 I was walking out with everything completed and a re-entry permit. All that was required was TM 7, TM 8, the usual photocopies of passport, bank book with verification letter and my yellow Tabian Baan. Oh, and the fee, of course. There was no request and no interest in the Foreign National Information form whatsoever and no requests for pictures of house or maps as some are asking for.

Lucky you! We in the North (CM) can only be extremely jealous of (and slightly annoyed at) the very smooth and quick service(s) apparently offered by so many other Immi Offices around the country. Up here things often go at a snail's pace or even slower - and extending a yearly visa can, for many, mean night-long queuing outside the I.O. and/or a hotel reservation, with absolutely no guarantee that you'll actually get a numbered ticket to see an officer.

Even though the I.Officers up North are mostly very pleasant, there have never been enough of them to properly service the expanding non-Thai population.

Again- lucky you - and hope the good service remains that way for many years to come! :smile:

Edited by scooterboy

18 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Whatever change there is in the immigration rules, there is never anything to the advantage of the average  expat.

This new visa is only going to benefit the richest of the expats, which again proves that only them are really welcomed

here in Thailand.

" This new visa is only going to benefit the richest of the expats, which again proves that only them are really welcomed "

Naturally they would like to get more people with money to spend. Why else do you think they want expats here?

Given the O/P's good experience getting his extension at Hua Hin  (and my positive experiences dealing with Jomtien) I don't think the ten year visa proves anything. The bar isn't set all that high for retirees or those married to Thais. Exactly how welcome do you need to feel? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, newnative said:

You don't have to tie up 3MB if you have 100,000 Baht monthly income. But I agree it has few advantages.

Don't forget that it was stated to be a multi entry extension saving a lot of baht if you travel a lot.

19 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

and just how many of us has a 100.000 Baht income?

And how many of us need to have Baht 100,000 income to stay here? Why get your knickers in a knot about the cost of something you don't need to have?

How many of us can afford a new BMW? Why worry about it if your Honda Civic can travel to the same destination?

29 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

here in Thailand.

I wouldn't consider a guy with a 100,000 baht pension rich by any means.  If a guy is living on savings he better have at least fifteen million baht at age 50 if he plans on living long. That is not rich by any western standards.

Its a good thing to hear the regular extensions are still going to be in effect. I am concerned about the insurance part but have to wait and see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happydays said:

I assume that if you arrived before 08.30 you must have gone to the bank the previous day. Immigration told me a long time ago that the bank book & verification letter had to be dated the same day as the application for extension. Is that no longer the case?

Thanks

You are correct in saying that I went to my bank the day previous. At Hua Hin this is perfectly acceptable.

y

35 minutes ago, scooterboy said:

Lucky you! We in the North (CM) can only be extremely jealous of (and slightly annoyed at) the very smooth and quick service(s) apparently offered by so many other Immi Offices around the country. Up here things often go at a snail's pace or even slower - and extending a yearly visa can, for many, mean night-long queuing outside the I.O. and/or a hotel reservation, with absolutely no guarantee that you'll actually get a numbered ticket to see an officer.

Yes, I agree that we are very lucky with the IOs we have here. Having read about many of the hoops some people have to go through at other offices it makes me wonder why. There is a good relaxed atmosphere at Hua Hin and it makes life more enjoyable for everyone involved no matter which side of the counter you are sitting at. And the result is still the same, hopefully, with the required stamps put in the passport.  

I also do my 90 day reports at Dan Singkorn which is 1 hours drive for me but always a pleasure with a shopping trip to the market involved. The run to Hua Hin is a 3 hour drive each way so this also becomes a pleasure with the ease of getting the extension and again, another shopping trip somewhere different. 

25 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I wouldn't consider a guy with a 100,000 baht pension rich by any means.  If a guy is living on savings he better have at least fifteen million baht at age 50 if he plans on living long. That is not rich by any western standards.

Its a good thing to hear the regular extensions are still going to be in effect. I am concerned about the insurance part but have to wait and see.

It really all depends on a persons life style, I know a guy who bought a house for around 600.000Bt, lives on only about 40.000Bt per month, and has a wife and son to keep. He has no debt to pay but this is upcountry.

2 hours ago, happydays said:

Thanks

Not my experience at all at Bkk immigration. My income verification letter of greater than 6,500 baht/month from the US Embassy was dated 10 March and it was 8 June when I got my initial one year retirement extension approved there this year.
Different procedure if you are going with 800,000 in the bank? Or is it a matter of different policies at different offices? Or as Happydays suggests a rules change?

49 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

" This new visa is only going to benefit the richest of the expats, which again proves that only them are really welcomed "

Naturally they would like to get more people with money to spend. Why else do you think they want expats here?

Given the O/P's good experience getting his extension at Hua Hin  (and my positive experiences dealing with Jomtien) I don't think the ten year visa proves anything. The bar isn't set all that high for retirees or those married to Thais. Exactly how welcome do you need to feel? 

"The bar isn't set all that high for retirees or those married to Thais". I disagree, and I have typed my reasons time and time again.

I think we have more hoops to jump than is necessary, but it is their country and for the most part, is cheap to live in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Different procedure if you are going with 800,000 in the bank? Or is it a matter of different policies at different offices? Or as Happydays suggests a rules change?

For the money in the bank option a recent letter from the bank is needed and a bank book update on the date of application.

At CW they want both on the same day the application is done.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

And how many of us need to have Baht 100,000 income to stay here? Why get your knickers in a knot about the cost of something you don't need to have?

How many of us can afford a new BMW? Why worry about it if your Honda Civic can travel to the same destination?

I am not worrying about anything, I am only stating an opinion, and I do not have anything in a knot.

6 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Not my experience at all at Bkk immigration. My income verification letter of greater than 6,500 baht/month from the US Embassy was dated 10 March and it was 8 June when I got my initial one year retirement extension approved there this year.

No rules change involved at all. Different offices do have different rules as we have seen written about on this Forum. I believe, and I am sure I will be corrected if wrong, that you were able to have a verification letter from the bank dated no more than 7 days before. But for most, where they can like me, will go the day before which should be acceptable.

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

For the money in the bank option a recent letter from the bank is needed and a bank book update on the date of application.

At CW they want both on the same day the application is done.

Thanks. It did not seem clear to me, being a bear of very little brain. :sleep: