Dhammachayo agrees to surrender provided he is granted bail

rooster59

Until this media event was staged, we only had pictures of him sick in bed with a huge purple foot and people waiiing it. On Channel 7 news, he was fairly hopping around with these two DSI flunkeys ahead of a small media scrum. There was a clip of them squeezing in through a large glass door into a glass walled foyer of some description. There were white robed acolytes, mostly women, blocking the media access, scurrying about and hilariously some were seen emerging from a back room and on seeing the cameras aimed through the windows, ducking down behind the reception desk. I mean heaven forbid that my friends should see me on national television hanging out with a bunch of looneys.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

No one is  above the law, why should he be treated any different to anybody else?

Grant him nothing, if guilty jail him.

Or maybe he could just go to a temple and repent his sins , then all will be forgotten. 

You are joking, aren't you? You do know what country this farce is being played out in, don't you?

I would hesitate to think this news is credible and suspect that information was distorted to sound like the DSI make some kind of progress. After months of blundering and clownish claims and Innuedos by the DSI and made to look amateurish and foolish by Dhammachayo, they will do anything to salvage some pride.

The events in the timeline just don't make this news credible. Thursday nite, meeting between DSI, RTP and the Monk council and the deputy national police chief decide to ask for 1,000 police manpower to arrest the holy man. No mention of the high profile meeting on Friday and why ask for the 1,000 police personnel if you plan a negotiation. That's rather an intimidating deed preceeding a negotiation and certainly not conducive.

Then on Friday, the DSI meet and the holy man gave his ultimatum which is outside the realms of the police power. This morning, more police patrolling the Wat. I am positively sure this is not credible development and the holy man not planning to surrender anytime soon.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

No one is  above the law, why should he be treated any different to anybody else?

Or maybe he could just go to a temple and repent his sins , then all will be forgotten. 

I'd estimate that at least 100,000 Thais are above the law. 

You obviously have no idea who this guy is and the people that support his temple.

For peace of mind, I'd accept the things you can't change.

Too much :saai:

This guy would be instantly swept up in any lawful country

Monk or no monk what he is charged with could be terrorism linked

or flat out greed.

In any case it is just another "lakorn" comedy masquerading as Thai Law/Justice

Not unlike the Red Bull kid ( ever turned in?) and how he told the cops come back tomorrow as he was tired after killing

that cop with his Ferrari....later to be constantly busy or out of country what is it 4 years now?

Anyway.............just another joke masquerading as a justice department

Does Thailand even know how their system looks to the rest of the world?

I know they don't care nor have a system but it should at some point light a few foreign bulbs

about whether or not it is as great a mirage as it seems.

Edited by mania

4 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

Any guesses on how much bail will be? Think of a number between 1 and 1000. 

It doesn't matter how much bail - Bail will be paid from the stolen savings of the little people. No skin off his nose.

3 hours ago, Sarathi said:

The issue is that monks can be disrobed to face charges, without ever being convicted. 

The attack on him is political, rather than criminal (other recipients of the same embezzled money have not been pursued)

The temple unfortunately became associated with Red Shirts after the then PM Thaksin went there to join ceremonies. The temple in fact have always remained staunchly non-partisan regarding politics, for the simple reason that taking any side would lost them 40-60% of their devotees. 

It's fine not to like the place (I don't), but take a balanced view.

I thought the issue was him seeing himself as being above the law.

politically motivated... maybe... but as the leader of the show, he is most culpable and persueing him, as the leader, is right... he can dobb in the underlings if he likes

and "churches" " religions" "faiths" should remain out of politics

this guy should be disrobed... charged... imprisioned..... and never allowed to re robe... outherwise its farcical.

i want to see the American guy who was just extradited, go and make face at a temple, and see if he gets cut any deals for it.

now were balanced.

Edited by farcanell

1 hour ago, mania said:

Too much :saai:

This guy would be instantly swept up in any lawful country

Monk or no monk what he is charged with could be terrorism linked

or flat out greed.

In any case it is just another "lakorn" comedy masquerading as Thai Law/Justice

Not unlike the Red Bull kid ( ever turned in?) and how he told the cops come back tomorrow as he was tired after killing

that cop with his Ferrari....later to be constantly busy or out of country what is it 4 years now?

Anyway.............just another joke masquerading as a justice department

Does Thailand even know how their system looks to the rest of the world?

I know they don't care nor have a system but it should at some point light a few foreign bulbs

about whether or not it is as great a mirage as it seems.

Lol.... it's top of the pops according to the TV poll... come visit bangers

:cheesy:

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

No need to go to the temple. You can make a contribution via your debit/credit card and all is forgiven. Ahhhhh, new technology. Isn't it wonderful. 

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Once he surrender and face charges, he can, like most other accused, admit culpability,

cut a deal with the prosecution, pay a fine, get a slap on wrist and go home scot free

like many others before him.......

Perhaps he could say sorry and become a monk for a week.

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

He's not being treated differently, everyone is entitled to request bail which comes before his appearing in court and judgement being reached.

The "go to a temple and all will be forgiven" myth is getting a bit tired now, don't you think?  

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

I would hesitate to think this news is credible and suspect that information was distorted to sound like the DSI make some kind of progress. After months of blundering and clownish claims and Innuedos by the DSI and made to look amateurish and foolish by Dhammachayo, they will do anything to salvage some pride.

The events in the timeline just don't make this news credible. Thursday nite, meeting between DSI, RTP and the Monk council and the deputy national police chief decide to ask for 1,000 police manpower to arrest the holy man. No mention of the high profile meeting on Friday and why ask for the 1,000 police personnel if you plan a negotiation. That's rather an intimidating deed preceeding a negotiation and certainly not conducive.

Then on Friday, the DSI meet and the holy man gave his ultimatum which is outside the realms of the police power. This morning, more police patrolling the Wat. I am positively sure this is not credible development and the holy man not planning to surrender anytime soon.

"...holy man..."

How do you mean holy?

5 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I think he was asking a rhetorical question, whereby everyone knows the answer.

Just a point mate, your comment is 'tautology' - before any of the plethora of English teachers tell you off.

1 hour ago, gdgbb said:

He's not being treated differently, everyone is entitled to request bail which comes before his appearing in court and judgement being reached.

The "go to a temple and all will be forgiven" myth is getting a bit tired now, don't you think?  

Next time i am arrested i will bare it in mind and ask the kind officers for bail. Do you not request and be granted/denied bail by the court rather than the arresting officers?

15 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Next time i am arrested i will bare it in mind and ask the kind officers for bail. Do you not request and be granted/denied bail by the court rather than the arresting officers?

Not necessarily, police can grant bail, you would know that if you had been arrested in the past that your "next time" mention suggests.

58 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Not necessarily, police can grant bail, you would know that if you had been arrested in the past that your "next time" mention suggests.

I have been arrested in Thailand before.

Are your comments based on fact or just hearsay????

Just now, colinneil said:

I have been arrested in Thailand before.

Are your comments based on fact or just hearsay????

I presume in very obscure circumstances in certain countries. TBF it might be the case in Thailand, but i have not heard of it in Thailand, and amazing if suddenly this is the case it comes to light on, especially when we are talking about multi billion dollar fraud and someone who has the means and no doubt assistance to flee.

14 hours ago, colinneil said:

Many in Thailand are above the law!