SURVEY: Would you recommend a foreign student to attend University in Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: Would you recommend a foreign student to attend University in Thailand?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Would you recommend a foreign student to attend University in Thailand?

• Yes, I would recommend Thailand for higher education.
    • No, I would not recommend Thailand for higher education.

This poll is closed to new votes

9 hours ago, seancbk said:

I wonder how many of the people answering NO, have actually done any higher education study here.

I expect very few, in which case their votes are pointless.

If someone was intelligent enough to realize that Thai universities have no international credibility, then why would they be stupid enough to attend said university?

You're essentially saying only the opinions of dullards matter.  Doh. ?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:
13 hours ago, seancbk said:

I wonder how many of the people answering NO, have actually done any higher education study here.

If someone was intelligent enough to realize that Thai universities have no international credibility, then why would they be stupid enough to attend said university?

You're essentially saying only the opinions of dullards matter.  Doh. ?

I know a bunch of Europeans who've done MBAs in Thailand.   One is a Chef with 2 Michelin Stars.  

They are all very happy with the quality of teaching here.

One of them is now earning around 400K THB a month for Minor Group. 

4 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I know a bunch of Europeans who've done MBAs in Thailand.   One is a Chef with 2 Michelin Stars.  They are all very happy with the quality of teaching here. One of them is now earning around 400K THB a month for Minor Group. 

Surely the point is how acceptable such MBA degrees are outside Thailand

1 minute ago, SaintLouisBlues said:
6 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I know a bunch of Europeans who've done MBAs in Thailand.   One is a Chef with 2 Michelin Stars.  They are all very happy with the quality of teaching here. One of them is now earning around 400K THB a month for Minor Group. 

All accredited Internationally.   The Danish Government paid for 3 of them to study here, all expenses including their condos and living costs.

But you keep believing what makes you feel superior.

I answered "NO," and I am currently taking an undergraduate class taught by a graduate of Chulalongkorn University.

The poor dear has no clue as to how people learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 12/4/2016 at 11:11 AM, notmyself said:

I wouldn't even recommend a Thai student go to university over here but that may be the only option for some so therefore the question is too vague. A degree obtained here would for the most part be worthless in a western country but could be good elsewhere.

Most foreign students wouldn't be westerners though. Most are likely to come from other asean countries. My wife used to work facilitate a  master's degree in Nursing for Indonesian students, for example.

Given how easy it is to get a degree in the West these days, I don't know why a person would NOT do it in the West, before coming to LoS. 

On 12/10/2016 at 4:23 AM, SaintLouisBlues said:

This is a good question.

A degree is not the only consideration that is looked at when hiring. The resume or CV, past experience, and the interview are just as important, if not more, than where a person earned their degree.

Combine all of this with the particular job that is being applied for . For example, would you hire an economist from Harvard University to teach English if they had no experience teaching English? I wouldn't. 

With that said, there are factors on why people don't get hired. Degree and experience does not match the job being applied for. Terrible CV or resume. Failed the interview. Bounced too often from job to job. The list goes on and on. 

Point being, the person doing the interview decides what's important. All  of my working friends who earned their MBA degrees at Payap University in Chiang Mai know this. Thai degrees are acceptable outside of Thailand.

That was a good question.

Most of the comments focus upon degree content, competence of the qualified staff or the equivalence of Thai degrees abroad.

I was the programme director of a masters degree at a London university for 25 years and worked with international students from all over the world, including Thailand. Generally, I would say there is nothing intrinsic about the abilities of a Thai undergraduate student that disadvantages them while embarking upon postgraduate studies outside of Thailand. People everywhere are smart and instinctively will rise to a challenging education.

However, the problems are different for an international student travelling to Thailand for a postgraduate education. The above questions and discussions of the previous posts may well apply, a prospective student should choose wisely.

What surprised me on arriving in Thailand at a private university in Chiang Mai, after being a lecturer for 30 years and deciding 'it was my time again', was the complete lack of systemic programme delivery. This was highlighted particularly in the areas of assessment (and their criteria), moderation, second marking, transparency and the equatable application of deadlines. The standard practice of linking credits gained with an expected time to generate a given amount of student work was regarded as a complete anathema. Students had no control over their workload or the time in which they could gain their degree - a bit tough for funded international students.

Inevitably, students that had been encouraged at undergraduate level to intellectually challenge material and practices (especially in an pg education degree where most of the students were already practiced teachers) soon found out that they were not the squeaky door that got the most oil but became the nail that stuck out.

Unfortunately, the lack of educational procedures extended to the inability of students to appeal or lodge a complaint in any kind of independent environment that protected them. Persistence in this respect led to students being informed they will be prosecuted.

Educational quality assessment appeared to an exercise in box ticking by the staff to demonstrate what they thought of their own performance. And this appears to be a national problem within the Thai university education system – transparent performance measurement and analysis leading to improvement is avoided.

So my vote would be no; there are other, better educational systems around the world that encourage academic expression and attainment.

Yeah, if they have rich parents, want an easy life, and are probably gonna end up working in their dad's business anyway. For the rest, we all know that a Thai degree isn't worth the paper it's written on. But hey, a piece of paper is a piece of paper. Outstanding individuals will always get on, and sometimes that piece of paper is the key to breaking down barriers. Having a degree is a "Sine Qua Non" in today's society.

I have worked in a Thai university.

Educational standards were very low. All students were awarded with a degree one way or the other. The owners set it up as a wealth transfer project to them, principally from the taxpayer via the student loan system. Though theoretically, the students would have to pay back the government at some time. The feeling amongst the students was that repayment would never be enforced.

So, no would be the answer to the OP's question.

On 1/5/2017 at 1:44 AM, Briggsy said:

I have worked in a Thai university.

Educational standards were very low. All students were awarded with a degree one way or the other. The owners set it up as a wealth transfer project to them, principally from the taxpayer via the student loan system. Though theoretically, the students would have to pay back the government at some time. The feeling amongst the students was that repayment would never be enforced.

So, no would be the answer to the OP's question.

You have worked at one school most likely as an EFL instructor, so you think you know enough to paint the entire country's educational system. 

Well, I have taught in the US at a few universities and I will tell you that they aren't any better than here. There are problems to every educational system.

Also for Thai students wanting to work in Thailand education abroad often hinders them. They get back here and have some difficulty readjusting to the pack mentality and often feel themselves superior. 

There are pros and cons with all systems.

I think that western students and students from other parts of the world can learn a lot from certain programs here. There are excellent professors and high tech departments to be found at many universities here.

On 1/3/2017 at 10:10 PM, nausea said:

For the rest, we all know that a Thai degree isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Really? WE all know this?  You are as ignorant as you claim Thais to be. There are excellent programs in this country and I have had quite a few friends from abroad get their masters and PhD's here. They have very successfully gone back to their home countries and continued with their careers.

There are graduates all over the world that are stupid and learned nothing valuable and barely can do their jobs. This is not a Thai system problem. There is a global disconnect between knowledge seeking and skill building and most universities are finding a problem bridging the gap.  Lecture based methodologies are stifling the world not just Thailand.

I want to disagree with thai bashing here, 

please take a look https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/12/countries-global-higher-education-superstars-tactics-?utm_content=bufferca9ec&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer 

also take a look on Thailand in scimago ranking 

http://www.scimagojr.com/

In general, yes a lot of PhD professors, finished abroad,

my coadvisor didnt, he is super smart and capable person ( MCU )

Honestly, thai speak and write good English, even better than me, they publish in high impact factors and now they subscribe to TURNITIN,

BA; BSc, even most of MSc and MA are not so good, but there are some briliant teachers, and briliant student, honestly I dont see problem and difference from west.

Only problem, that thai culture is so crazy sometime and I think most of thais dont want to internationalize.

• 1 month later...

I met a young man whose name was "Nut" the other day.

He had studied 4 years of English at a private high school and has just commenced his 3rd year at the local university.He could say "hello..."Then he said "hello.." and to finish it off..said "hello.."

I said Splendid-keep up the good work."

I vote NO.

On 2/19/2017 at 9:27 AM, richard10365 said:

For lazy students I would say no. For self motivated proactive students I would definitely say yes.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

A facile aphorism that effectively uses a sole perceived motivation to explain the progress of students.

How easy it is to blame only the student ad hominem, especially where they offer their work for judgement in an environment without recourse.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently on my second year in a 4-year Engineering bachelor program with plans to take my Masters Degree back in Europe.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you could speak fluent Thai/English and you are integrated into Thai culture. In my case I speak 3 languages fluently (Home country, English then Thai), I have a Thai mother and a farlang father and I am an only child. I was given the choice of studying wherever I could get in, be it here, US, or anywhere. I chose Bangkok because I felt I wanted to have my more time with my mother (my parents separated when I was in Mattayom 4) and I wanted to live in Thailand a few more years. The next time I'll be living in Thailand after graduating will probably be many, many years after working and establishing myself in the homeland before investing further into Thailand. 

• 4 weeks later...

I studied in both undergraduate and graduate levels in Bangkok and I can say that the problem is not that much the quality of teaching but the low standards of Thai students. In the international MBA program the professors and course content was good enough but the clueless Thai students just bring the whole process down.  

Archived