Getting caught with marijuana (THC) in my system

ricku

I am well aware of the retarded drug laws in Thailand, and I have no intention of breaking any of them.

But let's say that I smoke up in some country where it is legal (like USA or Holland). And shortly after that, I fly to Thailand and I get caught with THC in my blood, in some random urine test at some random nightclub. These things do happen!

Will I get prosecuted, even though I smoked the weed in a country where it's legal?

F.Y.I. The THC remains in a human body for up to 3 months..

Edited by ricku

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short answer, yep absolutely I would guess. Dont know the penalty for a positive piss test but probably not too harsh or you might get lucky with some police who may be able to " work it out" on the spot. I dont think where you took your drugs would matter much to the RTP.

You would have to be the worlds most unlucky person for any of that scenario to play out. After a decade here i have never met anyone or met anyone who knew any who has been asked to submit a random drug test, its just such a remote scenario.

Piss testing on the streets of Bkk has happened of late... though if you haven't followed regional news, you might have missed it. In the unlikely event you did get into that scenario,  despite protestations of having smoked elsewhere, you likely would get booked yes. Money to be made, face, cops not caring for the laws of other countries would see to that. Advise to pay on the spot if given the chance.

5 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Piss testing on the streets of Bkk has happened of late... though if you haven't followed regional news, you might have missed it. In the unlikely event you did get into that scenario,  despite protestations of having smoked elsewhere, you likely would get booked yes. Money to be made, face, cops not caring for the laws of other countries would see to that. Advise to pay on the spot if given the chance.

I did see it, but i think it is extremely extremely rare, and perhaps there was a specific reason why someone was selected. It is so incredibly unlikely that it would happen to him that it is not even worth thinking about. 

It will stay in your system for about one month if you are a regular smoker. 10 days if you smoke only once. When they test your hair, then depending on the length of the hair they can proof it for up to a year or even longer. Next time get your facts right before posting false info.

There is no grace period if you smoked in countries where it is legal and then get caught here. Cough up the fine and take it like a man. You have been warned.

Edited by hanuman2543

3 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

It will stay in your system for about one month if you are a regular smoker. 10 days if you smoke only once. When they test your hair, then depending on the length of the hair they can proof it for up to a year or even longer. Next time get your facts right before posting false info.

There is no grace period if you smoked in countries where it is legal and then get caught here. Cough up the fine and take it like a man. You have been warned.

I smoke occasionally, like 2 - 3 joints per month. You say that my info is false, but according to websites like TheCannabist, It could take more than three months before a person has cleared all the THC from his/her system.

There is an article about it right here:
http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/03/09/how-long-does-weed-stay-in-your-system/48677/

Well, thanks for the input and warnings (everyone), I'll just skip smoking for a few months before I head to Thailand. That's the beauty of this thing, it really never gets addictive. At least if you don't chain-smoke it.

Yeah, I know that the risk of getting caught is extremely low, but I don't want to take any chances in that country.

Edited by ricku

There are areas that are quite famous for stop and search- Thonglor in BKK for example, and there is a road block on the Petchakasem highway just south of Petchaburi which does random testing. I know one guy who has been stopped and tested twice randomly on the roads.  There also seems to be a recent increase in club raids where all patrons are being tested. (As reported here on Thai visa). They will not care where you were when the THC got into your system. 

Possession, or testing positive in a test, isn't actually as big of a deal in Thailand as it would be in other Asian countries. Indonesia / Macau / Philippines are way more retarded. 

The official law is actually a 10k - 60k baht fine, in the Narcotics act, for testing positive for marijuana in a test. 

It has happened to TWO people I know who got caught at roadside pee tests in Pattaya. Both smoked in their home country where it's leagal prior to coming here. 50k baht is what the police demand, or they could go to jail.

Edited by dcnx

22 minutes ago, dcnx said:

It has happened to TWO people I know who got caught at roadside pee tests in Pattaya. Both smoked in their home country where it's leagal prior to coming here. 50k baht is what the police demand, or they could go to jail.

Do you mean they were driving (not passengers) and were stopped and piss tested?

Edited by BudRight

Back around 1978, as I was eating my vegetarian meal at a restaurant in Loei, the 20's-something cook came out and told me he had added some herbs to my meal.  Sure enough!  I didn't believe him at first. 

Out in the boonies in Loei, a Catholic missionary priest told me he had been fed green chicken soup before an elephant blessing ceremony.  Poor guy had never had ganja and didn't know what was happening, as though blessing elephants wasn't freaky enough.  The only time I ever smoked a bit was in Maha Sarakam, on the top of the Suntorn Hotel in the dry season in 1977.  A few weeks in country and we're standing on top of a shit hotel in a God-forsaken town in Isaan in the middle of the dry season.  Anyone ever have to flood the hotel room floor with water and drape themselves with a wet pakama just to get cooled down at night?

20 hours ago, smutcakes said:

You would have to be the worlds most unlucky person for any of that scenario to play out. After a decade here i have never met anyone or met anyone who knew any who has been asked to submit a random drug test, its just such a remote scenario.

Didn't we get a lot of posts on here within the past year about Farangs  being stopped in BKK and getting on the spot urine tests done on them? 

2 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Didn't we get a lot of posts on here within the past year about Farangs  being stopped in BKK and getting on the spot urine tests done on them? 

Definitely. I've read lots of posts like that, and not just here on Thaivisa.

Hence my little worries.

20 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Not so, where I am they at times have road blocks, police pick out who they want and, march them to the back of the police truck to pee in a test thingy...

My police friend has just been killed by a run away lorry whilst he was doing this check. Anyhooo, take a look at my link...

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-long-different-drugs-stay-150000894.html

49 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Yes there was some incidents a year or so back, but there has been very little more about it, and in 10 years in BKK i have never met anyone or heard of anyone having it subjected to them. As i mentioned it is possible but you would need to be one hell of an unlucky sod to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. When it did happen if i remember there was lots of hand wringing, whinging by tourists etc so perhaps they are even less inclined to do it now.

34 minutes ago, Arjen said:

Holland is not a country, it is a small part from a country called The Netherlands

Written like a true pedant...........I suggest everybody knew what was meant unless you are one of the (few?) who find it insulting......

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland

Holland is a region and former province on the western coast of the Netherlands. The name Holland is also frequently used to informally refer to the whole of the country of the Netherlands. This usage is commonly accepted in other countries, and not entirely uncommon among the Dutch themselves, though some in the Netherlands and particularly in other regions of the country may find it undesirable,[2] misleading or insulting.[3]

:coffee1:

Smoking weed has made the OP too paranoid. I wouldn't imagine the police would bother charging you for such a small thing. Weed is a level 5 drug here, I was caught and charged (cheaper than bribe) with 98.5grams and the fine.... 3000 baht.

Happy toking!

Just now, justaphase said:

Smoking weed has made the OP too paranoid. I wouldn't imagine the police would bother charging you for such a small thing. Weed is a level 5 drug here, I was caught and charged (cheaper than bribe) with 98.5grams and the fine.... 3000 baht.

Happy toking!

Yeah but didn't you also get six months in prison?

Pretty sure those piss tests that they do only check for amphetamines anyway.   I know a guy who got busted with weed on him, as part of his suspended sentence or whatever its called, he had to submit to regular urine tests.  

Even though he was busted with weed, he continued to smoke weed every day, the urine tests were only for amphetamines.