red plates for new car

crickets

My car is still on red plate as it was bought less than a month ago. Toyota told me it took about a month to register and will contact me in due course.

Once the plate is change to white, they will return me 2200 baht for the red plate.

Robert24, you mean our yearly road tax will be calculate according to the day we hung up the white plate?

21 minutes ago, Robert24 said:

I don't see the problem. Plenty of people like to keep the red plates as long they can. You don't pay road tax with them and some people like show off their new car. I wouldn't worry.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Yes.  in the US people keep the price sticker on the rear window so people can see they  have a new car

I can see a problem if a policeman stops you at night, or in a different province, since those are just  two restrictions on driving with  red plates 

Yes .... 3 months wait is BS. Should only take 3-4 weeks.

Crickets .... take your wife/girlfriend down to the Mazda dealership, and let her loose. There's no uniforms involved at a car dealership, so she'll likely go in guns blazing, take no prisoners.

Well ... I'm 100% sure that my wife would anyway   :biggrin:

Interesting comment about work permit. I only needed my Yellow Book and passport to get my name as registered owner in the Blue Book. 

My car is still on red plate as it was bought less than a month ago. Toyota told me it took about a month to register and will contact me in due course.
Once the plate is change to white, they will return me 2200 baht for the red plate.

Robert24, you mean our yearly road tax will be calculate according to the day we hung up the white plate?

That's correct. The road tax sticker date starts when you get the white plates. The red plates are paid by your dealer. One of my neighbours kept the red plates for nearly a year 1) because he liked to show off his car with red plates and 2) he wanted to save on paying road tax.

The night time and other province restrictions are really no problem. I went through many checkpoints in other provinces and never got asked any questions about my license plate.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 1

A lot of the red plates used by car dealers are fake/copies and dealers usually do not require a deposit for these plates as they are not registered and have no third party insurance like the real red plates do

Last time we bought a new vehicle they supplied it with fake plates even though i requested genuine ones and we had to wait 2 weeks for the dealer to change them

Real plates have a booklet same as the license booklet but a different colour and has to be filled out daily if you leave your home province

We were pulled over by the police once when the booklet had not been filled out properly and fined 200 baht, i asked the officer what the fine would have been if we had fake plates and he told me 2000 baht

Real plates have a emblem stamped into them next to the letters and numbers

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

A lot of the red plates used by car dealers are fake/copies and dealers usually do not require a deposit for these plates as they are not registered and have no third party insurance like the real red plates do

Last time we bought a new vehicle they supplied it with fake plates even though i requested genuine ones and we had to wait 2 weeks for the dealer to change them

Real plates have a booklet same as the license booklet but a different colour and has to be filled out daily if you leave your home province

We were pulled over by the police once when the booklet had not been filled out properly and fined 200 baht, i asked the officer what the fine would have been if we had fake plates and he told me 2000 baht

Real plates have a emblem stamped into them next to the letters and numbers

Quite right about the booklet. It's colour brown and is basically a vehicle trip log book. Every journey in your car with red plates must be entered into this brown book at the commencement of your drive. No use telling the cop that you were going to do the log when you got home.

My local Chevvy dealer insisted that I understood the importance of filling out this brown book. Refundable deposit for red plates and brown book was 2000 baht.

The brown book is handed back to the dealer, along with the red plates, when your rego and white plates eventually come through.

7 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Leave them on for as long as possible. The Thais love to show off their new car. So should you.

I agree that Thai's love to show off their new car. Who doesn't ? I was proud as hell when I rocked up with my new wheels.

I do think there is a bit of reverse thinking about red plates being on too long.

For the first month or so, having red plates is definately a status thing. Showing off your new car to all the rellies in the village or your neighbours in the soi. Plenty of ooohs and aahhhs.  "He's done well hasn't he. Good luck" 

But after a month or so, everyone that matters, knows you have a new car, and the novelty value has evaporated somewhat.

Now people are saying "He has red plates too long. Now he show off little bit."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blingding said:

I am buying a new car on finance, the dealer has told me I must pay 3000baht for the red plates (1000 per month the registration will take 3 months). Is this normal practice?

yeah normal, the money is refunded once you get your white plates.

• Like 1

+1 for the fake plates story

ford issued me fake ones, i wasnt aware - 1000b fine on bangkok tollway. 

Unbelievably (should that be unsurprisingly?) Ford really tried hard to get out of paying it, but did after some persuasion 

Also got 'fined' 200b on sukhumvit for drving at night - around midnight

18 minutes ago, jonw8uk said:

+1 for the fake plates story

ford issued me fake ones, i wasnt aware - 1000b fine on bangkok tollway. 

Unbelievably (should that be unsurprisingly?) Ford really tried hard to get out of paying it, but did after some persuasion 

Also got 'fined' 200b on sukhumvit for drving at night - around midnight

It was ford who issued fake plates to us in the beginning as well even though i new about the scam and had requested genuine plates only

20 minutes ago, Blingding said:

Thanks Don. I will have to clarify this with the dealer, there was no mention of the money being refunded....

2000k deposit with us with no time limit and we were told the deposit would be refunded when the plates were returned

Maybe it is a scam, who would believe that in THailand 

• Like 1

Anyone got an image of a genuine red plate which clearly shows the government seal?

Just bought a new car (not collected yet) want to ensure all is above board. Wifey will hit the roof (to the point of cancelling the order) if the dealer tries to pull a fast one.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Anyone got an image of a genuine red plate which clearly shows the government seal?

Just bought a new car (not collected yet) want to ensure all is above board. Wifey will hit the roof (to the point of cancelling the order) if the dealer tries to pull a fast one.

Not got a piccie for ya but a real plate comes with a log book.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Real plates

15349756_1123100511091934_478569187499070207_n.jpg

28 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Real plates

Thanks Joe, but even zooming in on the plate and playing with the levels I don't see the government seal :(

I understand it's a small (ish) round embossed marking, or am I barking up the wrong tree here? If so, how does one identify real from fake red plates? Is it really just the presence of a log-book (just as easily faked)?

EDIT Like the red plate in this image http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-car-license-plates-in-thailand-59844096.html

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Thanks Joe, but even zooming in on the plate and playing with the levels I don't see the government seal :(

I understand it's a small (ish) round embossed marking, or am I barking up the wrong tree here? If so, how does one identify real from fake red plates?

It's all I had at hand for now. Today my new car will come will take a close up then :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, timberpond said:

yup... mine is in the deal.

So what did you gain with this deal? The payment for the red plates is just a deposit, you get it refunded anyway.

I much rather concentrate on getting a substantial deal.

• Like 2