Buyer Beware

Utley

I purchased the Logitech K800 wireless keyboard in December, 2016 from Amazon.com. The keyboard failed after 11 months; the "a" key no longer works. While the product comes with a 12 month warranty, and while I registered the product on the Logitech website with my Thai address, Logitech refuses to honor the warranty because I purchased the keyboard in the U.S. but I live outside of the country. A word of caution to anyone thinking of buying a Logitech product; "Buyer Beware".

Logitech K800 wireless keyboard.jpg

Edited by Utley
Adding imge

It's by no means limited to Logitech.

A lot, possibly even the majority,  of technology sold in the US (and Europe) does not have an international warranty. Service is only available in the country of purchase (and that's the location of the retailer, not where you happen to live when you hit "Buy").

You can't even be sure of your rights by choosing a particular manufacturer. A product bought in Japan will likely have an international warranty (I think it may be law there), exactly the same product bought in France may have a Europe-only warranty.

It is a problem which will only get worse in these days of global on-line shopping.

It's always wise to buy products in the country where you intend using them if you expect to avail yourself of the warranty.

It is a high ticket (4,763 baht) item and available here on Lazada web site by direct shipment from USA and is clearly marked without warranty.

Specifications of Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800

What's in the box:
  • 1 x Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800
General Features:
SKU LO633ELAA6237EANTH-12991012
Model Berishop-Berikeyboard251
Warranty type No Warranty Provided

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It is a high ticket (4,763 baht) item and available here on Lazada web site by direct shipment from USA and is clearly marked without warranty.

Specifications of Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800

What's in the box:
  • 1 x Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800
General Features:
SKU LO633ELAA6237EANTH-12991012
Model Berishop-Berikeyboard251
Warranty type No Warranty Provided

I wonder if the one sold by invadeit for Bt.3990 has warranty, I assume it would as invade would have sourced it through the  Logitech Thailand importer.

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/keyboards/logitech/wireless-illuminated-keyboard-k800-english-p005875/

Logitech Warranty Webpage with partial snapshot from the page.    Now to me the circle part could mean you would need to take/mail the keyboard back to a warranty center in the country/region you bought it in.  But a person would need a RMA to do that.

Then again, maybe it means as it seems to be written that if it breaks outside the country of purchase no warranty is provided as that is what the opening post indicates.    A person would need to actually look at the warranty wording versus below Q&A type info.  

Yeap, for many electronic-type items once you leave the country/region they were bought in the warranty is no longer valid.

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/article/warranty#warranty

Capture.JPG

From photo it does not appear to have Thai characters but am sure they would advise if anyone interested in buying (and they say it is in stock).

24 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I wonder if the one sold by invadeit for Bt.3990 has warranty, I assume it would as invade would have sourced it through the  Logitech Thailand importer.

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/keyboards/logitech/wireless-illuminated-keyboard-k800-english-p005875/

4 hours ago, Sunak said:

No more "A" :tongue: "X" in mint condition.

mir_20161227_110200.jpg

Had a similar problem with 2 or 3 keyboards.  Amorn, TESCO and other shops have stickers for 19-35 baht a set that have been working for me for over a year.

Lazada has 'em, but they're in the 100+ baht range.

The reality is that the cost of picking and shipping a single replacement keyboard (or any item for that matter) to any particular country could easily exceed what you paid for it.  Besides the shipping and potential customs issues, just the back office paperwork could cost them hundreds of dollars.   

On the flipside, their cost on a Thai keyboard in Thailand or an English keyboard in the USA is probably a small fraction of what they've made on the sale.  It's pretty easy for them to replace those under warranty

I certainly wouldn't expect Logitech in Thailand to stock keyboards with English, Spanish, or any other language.   It makes more sense to have an upfront warranty policy to set a reasonable expectation- you're on your own.  

I can remember that I bought a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse set, after a few months the keyboard developed a problem, in Panthip I was by the shop I bought it from redirected to a service center from Synnex ... 30 minutes I walked out of Panthip with a brand new Logitech keyboard without any problems...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Even international warranties are fraught with pitfalls. I bought an LCD projector in the USA when I first came to Thailand back when they were novel: $3500 with an international warranty. I had looked several weeks for a product with an international warranty, and this became the final selling point.

In less than a year the power supply failed. Had to ship it to an affiliate office in Singapore. Of course, was required to pay for the shipping both ways. But the huge part of the bill was the customs fees for shipping it back through Thailand, including the new power supply unit. Total: $450. So much for a warranty to fully protect you from product failure.

Of course, I cry right now when I see the how much the cost has come down for these little babies--and sold locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 2 weeks later...