Scott

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Flanno said:

Somehow I think not  many of us take this 'popularity' contest too seriously.

You could have a point there. I know myself I am just so busy celebrating the fact that I made it through another year. Congratulations Naam. Your what I call a centralist winner. Not to far right or left. I think the contest is a good idea recognizing our peers. (while we still can)

Edited by elgordo38

11 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Only 160 of the huge membership of Thaivisa could actually be bother voting!

Over recent years, since the concept has been revived, the thing has gone from silly to nasty and treacherous. It has reached new lows this year.

With  the incredibly low turnout, the cheating, the egotistical hysteria of some posters, the abuse of animals, the desperation and disappointing change of personality in some members who were once admired,  and the plain tackiness of the whole thing, it may be a good time to discontinue the farce.  At the very least move it back to the Pub where most of the participants spend their time pissing in each others pockets.

Even any entertainment value, sometimes gained by those of us on the sidelines, was ruined by several idiots who just kept posting meaningless drivel every few minutes.

The music wasn't bad.

I disagree, it is the best indicator of who is on here. Year in, year out we get an excellent idea of the peronalities behind thavisas most prolific. Its laughable.

Im going surfing, life is too short for this crap. Especially during the holidays.

3 hours ago, transam said:

poorly

3 hours ago, Scott said:

The idea was floated by some mods, but we couldn't change the rules in the middle of the voting.   There are technical problems to also overcome, which will have to be checked.

I think a lot of people who want to take aim at the candidates are looking in the wrong direction.   There are people, many of them previously banned members, who periodically engage in activities to discredit the forum.  

We are always open to suggestions.  

Whilst you couldn't change the rules part way through you could have banned the very new members from both voting and commenting .... how could they have a valid opinion.

For next year have a rethink but don't publish the new 'rules'  until voting is open. That way the 'others' will not be able to plan ahead ...

4 hours ago, Scott said:

First, I want to let everyone know that none of those cheating were in anyway linked to any of the contestants.   There are a variety of methods used to check the results.  

Had there been a link, then the person would have been disqualified.   

I suspect that this had more to do with tampering and discrediting the results than it did to support one side or another.  

In short, the candidates and even some of their strong supporters have been cleared of wrongdoing.

We will now turn our attention to the Kremlin, Edward Snowdon, Julian Assange and Wikileaks.  

Whew!  Good to know the "devices" in our household have been cleared.  Mr. Bitey claims he didn't engage in any hi-jinx, but lately it's been difficult to find my new smartphone, Mr. Bitey has been praising Naam, talking about how good he treats his pets and Mr. Bitey's thumbs have taken on increased muscle tone:

Mr. Bitey with thumbs.jpg

If y'all want a very clean contest, with no bickering, no backstabbing, no shenanigans, here goes:

Late December 2017, the management sends out a PM to all members except newer members.

If possible, filter out for very few posts.

In the PM, ask the members to choose one member name that is their one choice for POTY.

Must do within 5 days. QUICK!

Ask them to verify the correct spelling of the name before replying or the vote may be invalid. Accept misspelled votes if coherent though. 

Decide whether to exclude mods from eligibility (probably) and also decide whether to exclude previous POTY winners.

Tell people if they choose excluded names, their vote is invalid. 

Only replies from those PM's accepted.

After 5 days, tally up all those votes, probably not nearly as much work as you might think because as usual only a small percentage of members actually care enough to vote in POTY, filter out duplicate account votes for the front runners and make them all invalid as was presumably done in this contest.

One possible flaw, people trying to trick the counters by replying multiple times to their PM? Check for that. 

Then announce the winner, and two runners up.

Sorted. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If y'all want a very clean contest, with no bickering, no backstabbing, no shenanigans, here goes:

Mid-December 2017, the management sends out a PM to all members except new members.

If possible, filter out for very few posts.

In the PM, ask the member to choose one member name that is their one choice for POTY.

Ask them to verify the correct spelling of the name before replying or the vote may be invalid.

Decide whether to exclude mods from eligibility (probably) and also decide whether to exclude previous POTY winners.

Tell people if they choose excluded names, their vote is invalid. 

Only replies from those PM's accepted.

After one week, tally up all those votes, probably not as much work as you might think because as usual only a small percentage of members actually care enough to vote in POTY, filter out duplicate account votes for the front runners with software as was presumably done in this contest.

Then announce the winner, and two runners up.

Sorted. 

Where's the fun in THAT?

56 minutes ago, Will27 said:

With all of the mudslinging, it's no wonder a large majority of the nominees don't want to be considered for the POTY.

Who said what where?? fill us in. Was it playful banter or pistols at 20 paces kind of rancor. A little crotchetyitis can be forgiven as we age. Kill your detractors with kindness they soon melt away. 

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

With all of the mudslinging, it's no wonder a large majority of the nominees don't want to be considered for the POTY.

In the end there were three nominees who didn't want to be put forward, not quite a large majority.

14 minutes ago, Cockwomble said:

So Transam is a charity case?

b0233.gif ...........Yes, and a guy with lots of screen shots from far and wide...Though he can tell you he is a bit pissed off waiting for evidence he has asked for regarding defamation..........

Edited by transam

4 minutes ago, transam said:

b0233.gif ...........Yes, and a guy with lots of screen shots from far and wide...Though he can tell you he is a bit pissed off waiting for evidence he has asked for regarding deformation..........

Not sure what that would be about, my question was related to Jingthings post.

9 minutes ago, transam said:

b0233.gif ...........Yes, and a guy with lots of screen shots from far and wide...Though he can tell you he is a bit pissed off waiting for evidence he has asked for regarding deformation..........

I think the photos you posted clearly highlight (some of) your "deformation" s  :cheesy:

Edited by fletchsmile

5 minutes ago, fletchsmile said:

I think the photos you posted clearly highlight (some of) your "deformation" s  :cheesy:

Trans does NOT fear folk seeing his wife or himself....But others do and I can understand why......But we are all free folk, do what we want, after all folk on forums tell lies about folk and folk think it is OK...Up to them I suppose, I know you think lie telling is OK...Your not interested, you told me so...

26 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

In the end there were three nominees who didn't want to be put forward, not quite a large majority.

Gee, I thought it was more.

Still, I can understand those not wanting to be submitted to a lot of the crap that's been posted.

Maybe for next year, all nominees have to email the mod running it to confirm their acceptance.

I'm sure there were a few that were not even aware of being nominated.