Obama expels 35 Russian diplomats, accuses Russia of meddling in election

webfact

1 hour ago, harrry said:

I have now lost the limited but existing respect I had for Obama. THe election has been done...His job is now to wnsure a smooth transition and this he is not only failing to do but deliberately causing dissent.  

Obama......The president who though only of him.

A smooth transition is also the responsibility of the incoming president elect.  It's a two way street, and Trump's not making it easy.  Like you, I'm also losing the limited respect I had for Trump.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have now lost the limited but existing respect I had for Obama. THe election has been done...His job is now to wnsure a smooth transition and this he is not only failing to do but deliberately causing dissent.  
Obama......The president who though only of him.

That's rich. trump is clearly a mentally unstable egomaniacal demagogue and you're dissing Obama. Watch how people will be missing him.

A smooth transition is also the responsibility of the incoming president elect.  It's a two way street, and Trump's not making it easy.  Like you, I'm also losing the limited respect I had for Trump.

You had respect for trump? Strange.

Just now, narak34 said:

And where exactly is the proof that Russia was responsible in that report? You can't point it out because it doesn't exist.

Right.

All the intelligence agencies are wrong and you are right.

I guess they forgot to invite you to the meetings.

And didn't provide you with documents that are most likely classified.

Second sentence in the report:

"This document provides technical details regarding the tools and infrastructure used by the Russian civilian and military intelligence Services (RIS) to compromise and exploit networks and endpoints associated with the U.S. election,

as well as a range of U.S. Government, political, and private sector entities."

"The U.S. Government is referring to this malicious cyber activity by RIS as GRIZZLY STEPPE."

The U.S. Government confirms that two different RIS actors participated in the intrusion into a U.S. political party."

https://www.us-cert.gov/sites/default/files/publications/JAR_16-20296A_GRIZZLY STEPPE-2016-1229.pdf

Dunning Kruger.

50 minutes ago, iReason said:

3 hours ago, narak34 said:

And where exactly is the proof that Russia was responsible in that report? You can't point it out because it doesn't exist.

Right.

All the intelligence agencies are wrong and you are right.

I guess they forgot to invite you to the meetings.

And didn't provide you with documents that are most likely classified.

Second sentence in the report:

"This document provides technical details regarding the tools and infrastructure used by the Russian civilian and military intelligence Services (RIS) to compromise and exploit networks and endpoints associated with the U.S. election,

as well as a range of U.S. Government, political, and private sector entities."

"The U.S. Government is referring to this malicious cyber activity by RIS as GRIZZLY STEPPE."

The U.S. Government confirms that two different RIS actors participated in the intrusion into a U.S. political party."

https://www.us-cert.gov/sites/default/files/publications/JAR_16-20296A_GRIZZLY STEPPE-2016-1229.pdf

Prepared to snow general public opinion. Nothing in it.  I said when first reported it had nothing beyond basic diagrams that kids know. It was quickly prepared from a generic DHS  notice about possible hacking, adding the buzz word GRIZZLY STEPPE.

Proof. Here is what real hacker experts are saying  https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13279600

For non-computer literate,

- They say this current announcement is kid stuff, as I said.

- Then they discuss prior Russian methods in great detail, which are very sophisticated.

Quote: I have looked through the report. The only useful information was brief description of attack methods, everything else looks like a list of general recommendations one can find on the OWASP website.

Conclusion, they are not impressed by this report.

Edited by rabas

Just now, rabas said:

Prepared to snow general public opinion. Nothing in it. It was quickly prepared from a generic DHS  notice about possible hacking, adding the buzz word GRIZZLY STE

Conclusion, they are not impressed by this report.

A post with a bunch of unsubstantiated gibberish.

Along with bunch of paranoids in a chat room. Wow.

Not impressed.

35 russians expelled. Two facilities shut down.

But in Bizarro Trumpland, it's all a conspiracy between all the U.S. intelligence agencies and the President of the United States.

Alex Jones much? :coffee1:

Donald Trump: 'I know a lot about hacking' :laugh:

"Trump's statement to reporters during his annual New Year's Eve bash expressed new scepticism about the security of

online communications his administration is set to use."

"You know, if you have something really important, write it out and have it delivered by courier, the old-fashioned way ...  :cheesy:

because I'll tell you what: no computer is safe," Trump said.

"I know a lot about hacking," he said, "and hacking is a very hard thing to prove, so it could be somebody else."

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/donald-trump-lot-hacking-170101134446718.html

What an incompetent doof...

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You had respect for trump? Strange.

I had respect because he was a successful business man.  But the more I research that success, the more problems I find.  I've never thought he'd be a good president.  And that's starting to prove itself out.

10 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

The whole problem could be solved if the usa hacked into Putins computer and made him lose the next election.

Although I agree tit for tat is sometimes fun, it'd be better if Putin started working with the rest of the world rather than trying to stir things up.  Everybody would be helped if that would happen.  Especially his own people who right now are really suffering.

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's rich. trump is clearly a mentally unstable egomaniacal demagogue and you're dissing Obama. Watch how people will be missing him.

Yeah, we've already seen it.  Disruptions at political rallies.  Street protests with vandalism, burning buildings, smashed car windows, closed highways, graffiti.  Death threats sent to electors.  CEOs telling employees who don't think "the right way" they're welcome to go work somewhere else.       Yeah, the hoodlums and thugs and of course their brownshirt chapter here, obviously already miss him plenty.   Sane people, not so much.   (Can you just imagine the hyperbolic indignation and made-for-tv outrage if any of this petulant-loser crap had been staged by Republicans after Obama's election?!) 

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:01 AM, hawker9000 said:

...And the Commander-in-Chief for the last eight years has done nothing but draw pretty red lines.

Not true.

Obama Curbed Chinese Hacking, But Russia Won’t Be So Easy: "“How we approach an appropriate response that increases costs for them for behavior like this in the future but doesn’t create problems for us is worth taking the time to think through and figure out.” The US strategy in China was in many ways the polar opposite of a knee-jerk, hack-back approach. It was a years-long series of diplomatic and legal efforts, all aimed at curbing Beijing’s economic espionage.

" “We need to stop thinking of solving cyber problems purely through cyber means,”

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/obama-russia-hacking-sanctions-china/

Edited by Opl

On 12/30/2016 at 4:47 PM, dick dasterdly said:

Re. Russia being very aggressive lately - so has the US, as per this thread.

But Russia influencing European elections??  I doubt it as I'm pretty sure that (segments of) the electorate are just pretty fed up with their politicians.

Hence the 'unlikely' votes.  Of course you are free to interpret this as Russian influence, but the vast majority (IMO) realise this has nothing to do with Russia, and everything to do with unhappiness amongst the populace as to the way things are going.

These are not mutually exclusive proposition. Pushing things along when the natives are restless.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:20 PM, Opl said:

Not true.

Obama Curbed Chinese Hacking, But Russia Won’t Be So Easy: "“How we approach an appropriate response that increases costs for them for behavior like this in the future but doesn’t create problems for us is worth taking the time to think through and figure out.” The US strategy in China was in many ways the polar opposite of a knee-jerk, hack-back approach. It was a years-long series of diplomatic and legal efforts, all aimed at curbing Beijing’s economic espionage.

" “We need to stop thinking of solving cyber problems purely through cyber means,”

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/obama-russia-hacking-sanctions-china/

Oh horsefeathers...   The Chinese hacking has never stopped (that from the CIA Director, John Brennan, BTW); yeah they're obviously reeling under the strain of Obama's "sanctions".   There WAS White House "unofficial policy" to stop attributing cyberattacks to the Chinese however - THOSE were the REAL "sanctions"!   You know, Obama's now universally scorned & ridiculed "transparency" thing...

I am afraid that people are mixing apples and oranges when discussing Russian hacking.   The allegation is that they tried to tamper with the election.   Exactly what they did and how they did it may not be in the public domain.   The hacking of the DNC and the release of information is most likely only one indication of hacking.   

There are 17 intelligence agencies involved in determining the hacking.   I doubt that all of them are only concerned about the DNC hacking.   Likewise, Julian Assange, wouldn't necessarily know the depth and extent of hacking or how the information was originally obtained and by whom.   If he did, he probably wouldn't tell.    

US Official Says Russia Undoubtedly Meddled in US Election

"In a joint report that roiled the presidential campaign last fall, the Homeland Security Department and the intelligence community said

the U.S. was confident of foreign meddling, including Russian government hacking of Democratic emails."

"In its assessment, the intelligence community has said Moscow interfered to help Republican Donald Trump win."

"We stand actually more resolutely on the strength of that statement than we did on the 7th of October,"

James Clapper, the director of national intelligence, told the GOP-led Senate Armed Services Committee"

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/top-us-intelligence-officials-testify-russian-hacking-44567436

End of story.

And the con-man's next step?  :whistling: 

Trump considering plans to restructure intelligence agency

"President-elect Donald Trump is considering plans to restructure and slim down a top U.S. intelligence agency,

a person familiar with the discussions said Thursday."

"The move comes after Trump questioned the intelligence community’s assessment that Russia interfered

with the presidential election on his behalf."

"Trump also is said to be considering changes at the CIA."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/federal_government/trump-considering-plans-to-restructure-intelligence-agency/2017/01/05/da1e45bc-d362-11e6-9651-54a0154cf5b3_story.html?utm_term=.eaccdf5db012

11 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

There is Nothing more to say!

Scary.  I love the last comment.  "What did Donald Trump KNOW and when did he stop knowing it?".  Too damned funny.  Well, funny if this wasn't the president elect.  Quite sad actually. :sad:

Yep, Comrade Assange knows completely that the hacked emails came from Russia. He is nothing more than a Russian puppet. Spin Assange...spin.

Intel report says US identifies go-betweens who gave emails to WikiLeaks

http://us.cnn.com/2017/01/05/politics/intel-report-says-us-identifies-go-betweens-who-gave-emails-to-wikileaks/index.html

2 hours ago, Silurian said:

Yep, Comrade Assange knows completely that the hacked emails came from Russia. He is nothing more than a Russian puppet. Spin Assange...spin.

Intel report says US identifies go-betweens who gave emails to WikiLeaks

http://us.cnn.com/2017/01/05/politics/intel-report-says-us-identifies-go-betweens-who-gave-emails-to-wikileaks/index.html

And yet many, including Trump, deny this.  Incredible.

23 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

And yet many, including Trump, deny this.  Incredible.

Donald Trump, Julian Assange, and the Control of the Republican Mind

" Trump’s insinuation that his fans will ignore any evidence of his guilt, however plain, has been vindicated. Perhaps no episode has demonstrated the Fifth Avenue Principle more dramatically than the case of the Russian email hack."

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/01/trump-assange-and-the-control-of-the-republican-mind.html

Edited by Opl

29 minutes ago, Opl said:

Donald Trump, Julian Assange, and the Control of the Republican Mind

" Trump’s insinuation that his fans will ignore any evidence of his guilt, however plain, has been vindicated. Perhaps no episode has demonstrated the Fifth Avenue Principle more dramatically than the case of the Russian email hack."

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/01/trump-assange-and-the-control-of-the-republican-mind.html

A bit more to fully explain that.  I'm shocked.  People are so gullible.

From your link above:

The cruelest, most condescending, and also devastatingly correct indictment of Donald Trump’s supporters was uttered not by a member of the liberal media but by Donald Trump himself, when he mentioned that he could shoot somebody on Fifth Avenue and not lose support. Trump’s insinuation that his fans will ignore any evidence of his guilt, however plain, has been vindicated. Perhaps no episode has demonstrated the Fifth Avenue Principle more dramatically than the case of the Russian email hack.

Edited by craigt3365

16 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

Speaking of gullible, that is fake news and exposed as such long ago. Why is it being posted yet again? Snopes fact checkers say FALSE.

http://www.snopes.com/1998-trump-people-quote/

maybe - maybe not - maybe he thinks so and did not tell ... who can be sure , it's likely something he thinks and says - or the opposite , as you know his statements change - anyway IMO this reflects today's reality.

and defines Trumpism.   

http://www.salon.com/2016/12/09/a-lot-of-donald-trumps-supporters-believe-fake-news-and-trust-him-more-than-real-news-poll/

Edited by Opl

http://www.businessinsider.com/putin-chooses-not-to-respond-to-obama-sanctions-and-expulsion-of-diplomats-2016-12

"Although we have the right to retaliate," Putin said, Russia would instead "plan our further steps to restore Russian-US relations based on the policies of the Trump administration."

Freaking brilliant Vlad :sleepy::sleepy:

Humiliated the grown up kid with a mature response

"This is frankly the most damaging and embarrassing answer we [the US] could receive," Kofman told Business Insider on Friday. "It's quite clear that both the Obama administration and Congress are trying to box Donald Trump in on Russia policy. But instead of responding to this latest salvo with predictable retaliatory measures, Russians have chosen to make them a nonissue."

Full response

We reserve the right to retaliate, but we will not sink to the level of this irresponsible ‘kitchen’ diplomacy. We will take further moves on restoring Russian-American relations based on the policies that the administration of President-elect Donald Trump adopts, 

We will not forbid families and children from spending the New Year’s holidays at the places they are used to. Moreover, I invite the children of all American diplomats with accreditation in Russia to New Year’s and Christmas festivities in the Kremlin,

I congratulate President-elect Donald Trump and the entire American people!”

22 hours ago, iReason said:

US Official Says Russia Undoubtedly Meddled in US Election

"In a joint report that roiled the presidential campaign last fall, the Homeland Security Department and the intelligence community said

the U.S. was confident of foreign meddling, including Russian government hacking of Democratic emails."

"In its assessment, the intelligence community has said Moscow interfered to help Republican Donald Trump win."

"We stand actually more resolutely on the strength of that statement than we did on the 7th of October,"

James Clapper, the director of national intelligence, told the GOP-led Senate Armed Services Committee"

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/top-us-intelligence-officials-testify-russian-hacking-44567436

End of story.

The link your provided actually says:

"We stand actually more resolutely on the strength of that statement," Clapper said Thursday. He declined to discuss whether Russia's interference was aimed at helping Trump win.

Trump election: US 'identifies agents behind Russian hack'

"The US has identified the Russian agents behind alleged hacking ahead of the presidential election won by Donald Trump in November, reports say."

"The agents, whose names have not been released, are alleged to have sent stolen Democratic emails to WikiLeaks

to try to swing the vote for Mr Trump. "

"Vice-President Joe Biden lambasted the president-elect on Thursday for attacking the intelligence community over the claims,

saying it was "absolutely mindless" not to have faith in the agencies."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38528329