Horrific collision spurs plan to cut number of passenger vans

webfact

2 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

What is the logic behind reducing the number of vans?

I don't think that is the answer, maybe cutting them totally would work, but reducing!!

Reducing the number of vans will, in the warped Thai mentality, just lead to haing to cram more victims into the vans to make up for lost profit.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have said it before, without a functioning police force nothing can be done about road deaths in Thailand. So long as drivers can pay 200baht to a white gloved hand in their car, then nothing can change. 

I rode in a minivan one time, and one time only. The driver was on the phone all the time and driving a foot or so from the car in front at 120 kph. Insane.

RIP the poor souls who lost their lives.

On another issue….5 round trips in 31 hours. In my experience it would take at least 3 hours to drive from Chantanaburi to Bangkok…it's past Rayong for goodness' sake. When did he sleep? ( I know when he was driving). It is high time all of these vans, coaches and lorries were fitted with tachographs.

The main problem is lack of proper driver training. Any idiot can handle a wheel but it takes training, patience and common sense to be a professional driver. The anything for a dollar mentality has to be replaced with a decent wage for trained drivers. Being paid per run is a prescription for disaster. Drivers must be mandated to follow certain strict DOT transport driver guidelines. Now, do you want to know why this will never happen? TiT - and status quo will remain until the public screams for change. the public won't scream for change either because TiT and Mai pen lai is the order of the day.

So the carnage continues....

Have a replacement driver,  as they do with the big buses,
who's job will also be to monitor the alertness of the driver
at any time, proving of course he doesn't fall a sleep himself.....

My android device has the technology to tell when I'm not reading the article on the page, surely this technology can be applied to passenger carrying vehicles..

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

The main reason in Thailand for accidents is speed. For some reason Thais want to travel as fast as possible and couple this with people who consume drugs and alcohol and you have constant road carnage. As much as I like the Thai people and living in Thailand- I really cannot see anything changing for at least a generation or more. There has to be a constant education program in the media pointing out the speed kills and impairment behind the wheel will also kill others. Schools should be required to educate  M-6 students about driver etiquette and offer driver training.

I remember in my American high school days being shown an incredibly graphic movie on what happens when one speeds ; drinks and then drives. It scared the heck out of me and left an impression.

5 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

I thought the fire killed the passengers not the crash. After a couple of days after the tragic crash have the authorities found out what caused the fire? LPG or NGV gas bottles exploding? Shouldn't that be looked into first before banning vans?

I also thought that people sitting in the back of pickup trucks was a dangerous way to travel. What are they going to do about that?

The driver killed the passengers via the collision and subsequent fire. There would have been no collision, fire or deaths if the driver was driving within the regulations, defensively and with due care!

To cut back the number of vans ( a band aid "solution") is merely  re-active approach rather than a pro-active approach by way of better driver training, licensing and very strict enforcement of regulations. Unfortunately as long as my backside points to the ground I do not see that happening :sad:

1 hour ago, Seligne2 said:

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_Police (Section on police corruption)

As for  teachers, in 2014 I worked with a newly graduated English teacher. She worked with me at a rural school in Chiang Mai. Her starting salary was 8k/month.

I loved this section from the wiki article

Tourist police

Tourist police are uniformed personnel who lack police powers and are largely responsible for writing out reports for insurance companies for victims of theft. In more serious cases, they will translate reports to be passed on to the regular police in Bangkok. Recently recruiting foreign nationals living in Thailand.

According to Reuters correspondent, Andrew Marshall, "The country has a special force of Tourist Police, set up specifically so that foreigners have as little contact as possible with the ordinary police—the effect on the crucial tourism industry would be chilling.

1 hour ago, StefanBBK said:

Interesting reading indeed.

Agreed

8 hours ago, watcharacters said:

First of all the problem's not the number of vans,   It's how the  idiots DRIVE!

So true! New Years eve I was on a van in which the crazy van driver was driving on a major highway while trying to type  something with a  cell phone in each one of his hands while using only his wrist to control the steering wheel! He did not just do this for a minute but at least 5 minutes, I was the only farang in the van and the only one to say out loud how crazy and dangerous this was. All the Thais sat there quietly like it was no big deal.

Edited by thomash
mistake

So true! New Years eve I was on a van in which the crazy van driver was driving on a major highway while trying to type  something with a  cell phone in each one of his hands while using only his wrist to control the steering wheel! He did not just do this for a minute but at least 5 minutes, I was the only farang in the van and the only one to say out loud how crazy and dangerous this was. All the Thais sat there quietly like it was no big deal.

Multiple times, I've sat on a bus carrying 50+ souls where the drivers did exactly the same thing. No conscience, and no comprehension of how this increases the chances of a disaster by 40%.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

8 hours ago, doremifasol said:

I don't know in the city, but out here in the sticks

there are so many taxi/van drivers high on drugs.

They look , move and sound like maniacs.

So scary.

So how do you tell them apart from the rest ?? 

4 hours ago, kensisaket said:

The funny part about this is that this accident was supposedly caused by the van driver falling asleep.  I guess if the same guy was driving a bus and fell asleep fewer people might have died in the bus; but, the pickup would have still been demolished.  Best advise for anyone riding in one of those vans is to take a real good look at the driver before boarding. Even getting close enough to smell his breath might not be a bad idea.  

Sleepy driver? To re-word a source we're not allowed to quote: "The accident was caused by the driver falling asleep because he was 64 years old." - not because he'd done 5 round trips in 31 hours.

This implies that is is acceptable for a much younger driver to make 5 round trips in 31 hours.

This is a typical example of the "I've given my response and you cannot question it" mentality of the people who are under-qualified for the positions they hold.

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

"... These officials need to be send out to the world to find the solution instead of living in their own little small world in Thailand.  "

Agree, but:

- Locals unfortunately have a total block on this approach.  Yes there are some trips but in many cases it's just a shopping expedition. A twist - I worked for an international company in Bkk for a number of years.  Several times young staff accompanied their seniors to help with projects in other regional cities. Several times there were complaints that no time had been allocated for side fun trips and / or shopping. 

- Not much point in sending many of these government officials abroad to observe, because they don't have the capability to know what to observe or why. Large numbers of senior officials are in these positions because of corruption (buying the position ) and / or reward for political favors. Pretty much all of them are incapable and inexperienced and not interested in contributing anything.  Until this all stops nothing much will change.

The police are a good example, they keep on adding more tents and free coffee along highways and the road toll continues to go up.  Anybody with half a brain would have realized years ago this doesn't reduce the road toll, doesn't reduce drink driving, doesn't reduce maniac speeding, etc., and doesn't increase enforcement of traffic laws. 

As you noted, the problem I agree is much larger than I pointed out. I just touch om 1% of the problem. I've been associated with the Department of Transportation in the States for near 40 years, processed certification in training and driving Commercial Vehicle A and B, with all the endorsements. Work with the California Highway Patrol in determine accidents.  Much of the driving problems in Thailand can be fixed or at least lower their numbers within a year to get them out of the top 10, but not in my lifetime because the one thing Thais won't do is seek outside help except to accept yearly money from the WHO, corruption as you noted is a big reason. It is not until Thais leader start enforcing their current or future laws every meter of Thailand will things ever change for the better. As the noted the major problem is their own leaders. Until they realized lives are more important than lining their pockets and ego's will lives be save, meantime they are going though the motion making excuses for their own shortcoming.

5 hours ago, Ramar said:

We all know that the vans will not be replaced. It will all blow over.  Also, wasn't there something about cutting back on tuk tuks awhile back.  Didn't happen

About the only thing that occurs consistently in Thailand is talk, talk, and more talk.

The police can't be reformed because they bought their positions and want to get that money back. Their salary isn't sufficient for that so the only way left is corruption.

Why do you think the motocy-taxi's are above the law? They are allowed to drive against traffic which is very dangerous. You think the police doesn't see that?

This will not happen. And the question is why it will not happen. And the answer is complete and total apathy on the part of the government, and the police. Nobody cares. Sure, they jabber alot after some horrific accidents. But, will they do anything? Do they ever do anything? No.

They are not serious about this problem, at all. More jawboning, from the master himself. If he was serious about protecting his people, he would have done it from day one. The RTP are not interested in traffic safety, and the government has no interest in public safety. And the carnage continues, and Thailand continues it's place as number two in the world (after war torn Libya) for road deaths per capita. At least they are number two in something! There are a hundred things that could be done to protect the people, and prevent more accidents. Start with law enforcement, and the enforcing of laws that are already on the books. Serious fines for speeding, impounding of vehicles, with serious fines for drunk driving, long prison terms for manslaughter, caused by drivers who carelessly mow people down, regardless of how influential or connected, or wealthy they are. Incease the penalties severely for fleeing the scene of an accident. I do not think there is currently any penalty for that. And how about a really novel idea? Have the highway police actually patrol the highway, instead of playing cards in the office. The only time I ever see them is after an accident. There is a concept known as a deterrent, which is virtually unknown in this country.

You make obnoxious behavior, dangerous behavior, and careless driving on the highways punishable, and people will think twice about doing it. Every single time I am on the highways I see people doing things they would never even consider doing in California, as the consequences are simply too high. Here they know they can get away with almost anything. They know Little P. and the highway police are not serious people. 

16 minutes ago, selftaopath said:

About the only thing that occurs consistently in Thailand is talk, talk, and more talk.

Yes indeed!  Officials must get their faces in the media TELLING the population something.  DOING is secondary or non-existent. 

The way these drivers drive and also due to competition from rival mini bus or vans companies has caused these drivers to be stress and overwork. 

What the government should do is to install speed limits indicators and fine the bus drivers if they r over speeding. 

Also make sure there is good regulation n rotation system of the drivers so that they get enough rest.

Make the bus companies submit work rosters to the land transport ministry so that all these trips can be monitor properly.

Sounds like primary classroom style. But thats what they really need.