Honey Hotel

Trevor1809

Sad to here that this hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 19 is closing in September. Long over due I guess as the site must be worth billions. Stayed here since my first trip in 1980. It is very out dated but the location is good, staff are friendly and even the waitress in the coffee shop commented on how tall my 17 year old son is now. She last saw him 2 years but still recognised him. And the price is cheap. Last year I couldn't get in at Honey and stayed at some poncey hotel in the lower sois at more than double the price and had to use the same towels for all three days.

What are the recommendations for staying in Bangkok in a friendly, clean, air conditioned place that wont cost and arm and a leg?

First stayed here 25 years ago and still stay regularly for the pool and to give the GF a break from cooking. The food is excellent. Great location and great value. For many years was my primary residence in Thailand. Will miss the place IMMENSELY. :sad:

the 1970s r and r hotels were great brilliant coffee shops and pools.

the federal went first on 11 that was a nice pool.

is the miami at mouth of 13 still going? it would seem so http://www.thaimiami.com/reservation.php the website is quite amusing as well

another great pool but from a different era, the atlanta is still going strong, i love it but they can be somewhat difficult. excellent food though - if they are willing to serve you.

that website is a hoot as well - http://www.theatlantahotelbangkok.com/caveat.php

but all said it is a great place.

The Atlanta is run on conservative principles and fosters traditional values. 

The Atlanta does not hesitate to refuse rooms to  persons unsuited to the prevailing ethos of The Atlanta – even if they have a confirmed reservation.

1/  The Atlanta does not welcome SEX TOURISTS, and does not try to be polite about it. 

Borderline cases are not given the benefit of the doubt, but are treated as sex tourists. 

Those who are borderline cases should stay elsewhere. 

Guests who attempt to bring in bargirls, catamites and their like will be told in plain language to settle their bills and leave. 

Remaining on the premises after being told to leave will be treated as a police matter. 

The Atlanta does not ask for or listen to explanations or excuses, and does not apologise for the manner in which miscreants are thrown out. 

The Atlanta also does not apologise for any mistakes it may be accused of having made with regard to the identification of sex tourists. 

Edited by HooHaa

The check in staff were telling my wife so the conversation was in Thai. The staff don't seem to know what is even happening with the site so I guess they will be out of a job. I hope they also all find suitable new jobs. I assume is will be a condo or another "boutique" hotel. I can't see what else would cover the expense of a prime site.

The Opera Hotel is still going.

I haven't been there for probably 20 years but then the decor was almost identical to the Federal & the Honey. Even the coffee shop menus were the same. I'm pretty sure there were some common shareholders between the 3 of them. That's what the staff at the Federal used to say.

The location seems a bit strange nowadays but I guess in the days when the main R&R bars were on Old Petchaburi, it was pretty central. Well before my time but I have seen photos of the area from that era.

http://www.operathailand.com/

30 minutes ago, thedemon said:

"Catamites". I had to look that up - never heard the word in my life. Hilarious!!

:smile: Yes, I had a chuckle at that! It's not a word you come across often - I've only really seen it used in literary works, and even then not in modern writing.

Very amusing seeing it used in a hotel list of rules! Rather quaint!

The Honey hotel is a dump....I spent one night in a prison cell there....as for the pool you are having a laugh!

At 1100 Baht however it is a decently priced dump I agree....still some ok places at 1500 Baht on the booking sites although I'd be broadening my horizons to 2-2,5k Baht for a decent spot if I needed a pool.

On 1/5/2017 at 8:45 PM, thedemon said:

"Catamites". I had to look that up - never heard the word in my life. Hilarious!!

Yes - however, any cat lovers who are worried it might be referring to them need not fear:

5/ The Atlanta particularly welcome guests who like PETS and ANIMALS.

The Atlanta is home to many rescued cats, terrapins and one dog

8 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Yes - however, any cat lovers who are worried it might be referring to them need not fear:

5/ The Atlanta particularly welcome guests who like PETS and ANIMALS.

The Atlanta is home to many rescued cats, terrapins and one dog

What if you turn up to the hotel with a sheep? Are they not going to be a little bit suspicious as to what you're doing in your room?

10 hours ago, Thainess said:

What if you turn up to the hotel with a sheep? Are they not going to be a little bit suspicious as to what you're doing in your room?

Sheep are not referenced under the borderline cases in clause 1. As long as the sheep is presentable and not a juvenile you should be ok. 

43 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Sheep are not referenced under the borderline cases in clause 1. As long as the sheep is presentable and not a juvenile you should be ok. 

But be sure not to let them see the wellington boots in your luggage...

18 hours ago, Thainess said:

Only if you have an Australian, or New Zealand passport, or, speak with a Welsh accent........

At one time there was an entrenched belief by many Soi Cowboy providers that the Honey Hotel was haunted by "pii" and they would refuse to go there.  Word was a "customer" expired just as he was approaching the peak moment and was thus suspected of forever wandering the hallways seeking fulfillment.

It is said that the management finally gave in, hired nine monks to chant, provided tables free food and all was forgiven.

"Boutique" hotels are the rage. I noticed the pay-by-the-hour "Star Inn" next to Eden on Suk. 7/1 is being converted into one.  Wouldn't be surprised to see most of the older Vietnam era hotels go the same route.

Is the "Manhattan" still in business?

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Only if you are from Oz, a Kiwi or are Welsh and you are carrying wellington boots 3 sizes too large.

Whatever do you mean with that quote   :cheesy:

Priceless sir. I take it you are not from 1 of them countries.

Stayed at The Honey, many times over the years. The staff there are actually very nice, and very good - I do hope they all get new work. 

The place is for sure a bit tired these days, but it's a great location for those that are going to have a night in Sukhumvit. It will be sad to see it go, but I am not surprised, as someone mentioned that land has got to be worth a fortune. Federal now gone, as well as The Rex so so not many of those 70'S style hotles left these days. 

30 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Whatever do you mean with that quote   :cheesy:

Priceless sir. I take it you are not from 1 of them countries.

Give the man a coconut.

However I did live and work in South Wales for 3 1/2 years and at the dances the girls were smartly dressed in pit boots and miners helmets. They could hold a couple of pints of Brains S A (aka as skull attack) in each hand , drank more and faster than most men. You never asked them to dance, they told you that you WILL dance with them. They terrified me on a Thursday night dance.

I worked a year in Enn Zed and I loved the country. If I had to  leave Thailand to live elsewhere that is the country I would choose to live in. Probably around Taupo in the North Island.

20 hours ago, dddave said:

At one time there was an entrenched belief by many Soi Cowboy providers that the Honey Hotel was haunted by "pii" and they would refuse to go there.  Word was a "customer" expired just as he was approaching the peak moment and was thus suspected of forever wandering the hallways seeking fulfillment.

It is said that the management finally gave in, hired nine monks to chant, provided tables free food and all was forgiven.

"Boutique" hotels are the rage. I noticed the pay-by-the-hour "Star Inn" next to Eden on Suk. 7/1 is being converted into one.  Wouldn't be surprised to see most of the older Vietnam era hotels go the same route.

Is the "Manhattan" still in business?

Yes the Manhattan is still there but it had a major facelift about 20 years ago and lost any nostalgic charm it may have had. After that it seemed to me to be mainly patronized by Japanese & Koreans, many working as expats. It is located right next to the back entrance to the Thermae and might be one of the reasons that that place also transitioned to a largely Japanese/Korean hangout  (or hunting ground).

On 05/01/2017 at 9:20 PM, nisakiman said:

:smile: Yes, I had a chuckle at that! It's not a word you come across often - I've only really seen it used in literary works, and even then not in modern writing.

Very amusing seeing it used in a hotel list of rules! Rather quaint!

You are obviously not familiar with the works of Anthony Burgess, famous for writing A Clockwork Orange, turned into a film by Stanley Kubrick.

His acclaimed book Earthly Powers introduces the word 'catamite', if memory serves me correctly, on page 1.

Regarding the Atlanta hotel, I remember staying there in 1978, In those days the rooms were shared 2 or 3 to a room. I sometimes had to move out of the room for a few hours in the evening to let one of the other guys bring a girl back to do the business!

19 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Honey, like the Miami and Promenade (if still there) are all dumps. At least the Atlanta keeps out prostitutes, ladyboys and ner do wells, what ever they are  :saai:

Yeah the Miami was a already a dump 25 years ago. Dark & dingy looking. The Promenade I have never taken much notice of but I think it is newer and doesn't really belong in the same category.

IMHO though, the Federal and the Honey are (were) different. They both had a very loyal customer base. Many of them going back to the Viet R&R days and also many that worked in the middle East during the boom years. Most of them could have easily afforded to stay anywhere but they still went back to those 2 places even as their glory faded and faded.